Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Remission doesn't mean you've beaten it, it means you're at a stalemate for awhile. Really aggressive treatment may have bought him some time, but it's still really likely he dies from it in the short-medium term. Still, it's bought the man an extra few months-years with his family, and TB isn't an awful enough person for me to not be happy for him. I wish he became less of an "alt media for the win" shitlord who's fine with GG, but that requires him to live to gain some perspective on it.

It's also hosed to watch supposed anti-GG types drop the same kind of harassment on Laura Dale over her interview with TB as she's gotten from every corner since she's gained some prominence. Couldn't have anything to do with her being an out and proud transwoman, could it? Honestly, I see this less as anti-GG being "just as bad" (a bullshit line if I've ever heard one) as gamers being trash in general who beat up on minorities whenever they get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was gonna say maybe he thinks nazis are like elves but it turns out he actually thinks nazis are like elves and they come from the magical land of lebensraum to steal away children in the night looooool

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nazis are more like werewolves in that they try to look like normal folk when they're not doing their poo poo and also they die if you cut their heads off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Nazis are more like werewolves in that they try to look like normal folk when they're not doing their poo poo and also they die if you cut their heads off.

Surely more like vampires? Dress in black with skulls a lot, inordinate fondness for gothic architecture and baroque music, weird obsession with blood and soil from specific places. Have difficulty crossing bodies of water such as the English Channel and the Don.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CelestialCookie posted:

It takes a special kind of doofus to think that white supremacy movement is just a bogeyman invented by esjews or something.

so we're mad a a dude from sweden for not having a firm grasp on U.S. underground political movements? :rolleyes:

personally i think it's good that the media personality is saying that white supremacy is bad and is putting effort into preventing his fans from developing those beleifs

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

little munchkin posted:

so we're mad a a dude from sweden for not having a firm grasp on U.S. underground political movements? :rolleyes:

it's nobody's fault but his if he didn't do his homework before laying down his dumbass takes. there's no "i'm a foreigner" clause for ignorance if you want to poo poo your bad opinion everywhere

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
White supremacy is sort of a dead meme.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

little munchkin posted:

That was the stupidest loving thing he said out of a lot of stupid loving things. Pewds is the platonic ideal of a privileged white male and he keeps proving that by going from constantly making rape jokes to constantly making Nazi jokes, and in a just world, he'd have to live on the streets with no money for a year to wake him the gently caress up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

little munchkin posted:

personally i think it's good that the media personality is saying that white supremacy is bad and is putting effort into preventing his fans from developing those beleifs

Nazis: A US underground political movement.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

little munchkin posted:

so we're mad a a dude from sweden for not having a firm grasp on U.S. underground political movements?

Even if they were (although they obviously are not because you know... history!), I think that the internet places the burden of research on the stater. It's a lot harder and throughly disingenuous to feign ignorance about literally any subject if you can just go to wikipedia to get a general sense of most issues these days. A failure to research whatever the gently caress you're talking about is completely the fault of the person in question. The internet makes ignorance pretty much inexcusable.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

You say this like there's no white supremacist movement in Sweden.

There is.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That was the stupidest loving thing he said out of a lot of stupid loving things. Pewds is the platonic ideal of a privileged white male and he keeps proving that by going from constantly making rape jokes to constantly making Nazi jokes, and in a just world, he'd have to live on the streets with no money for a year to wake him the gently caress up.

:agreed: except not for a year, forever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

little munchkin posted:

No it's not, not even in Europe.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
fair enough, i guess pewds is a sheltered uninformed dumbass. its good that hes decided to be less racist though

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

like every nordic country has an explicitly racist political party how can he even say that. i'm sure sweden has one.

SpaceParrot
Jul 18, 2006

little munchkin posted:

fair enough, i guess pewds is a sheltered uninformed dumbass. its good that hes decided to be less racist though

Isn't this something like the third time that he's dramatically hosed up and promised to do better? I wonder if this is all just a way to keep relevant as his audience of 11 year olds age out of his schtick.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SpaceParrot posted:

Isn't this something like the third time that he's dramatically hosed up and promised to do better? I wonder if this is all just a way to keep relevant as his audience of 11 year olds age out of his schtick.

He didn't actually apologize all those other times, did he? I thought all he did was say "IT'S A JOKE BRO" and told everyone to stop being so politically incorrect and that he didn't mean anything by it?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

like every nordic country has an explicitly racist political party how can he even say that. i'm sure sweden has one.

Pretty sure Sweden had a single issue anti-immigration party that was somewhat prominent for a few years.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

He didn't actually apologize all those other times, did he? I thought all he did was say "IT'S A JOKE BRO" and told everyone to stop being so politically incorrect and that he didn't mean anything by it?

He blamed others previously

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

SpaceParrot posted:

"dead meme" was an awful way to put it but he's right about the decline of "ironic" racism. the ones with a racism level below literal white supremacy are realizing that the people they were sharing a laugh with were actually quite serious about their racism (lots of people who grew up in majority white areas experience this irl). There's a lot of people doing the same thing pewds is doing, except they don't get press releases because they were just making those jokes on 4chan or whatever.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

little munchkin posted:

My dude I know you have been asleep for the past week but I have some bad news for you.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world...dGAX?li=BBr5HCU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhKRCTIZIA4

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Isn't this that one white supremacist guy from the charlottesville thing?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

little munchkin posted:

"dead meme" was an awful way to put it but he's right about the decline of "ironic" racism. the ones with a racism level below literal white supremacy are realizing that the people they were sharing a laugh with were actually quite serious about their racism (lots of people who grew up in majority white areas experience this irl). There's a lot of people doing the same thing pewds is doing, except they don't get press releases because they were just making those jokes on 4chan or whatever.

Fyad got to find out last year that forums poster Vile actually has never told a joke in his life

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

little munchkin posted:

it isnt funny when people start getting hurt and killed i guess

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

little munchkin posted:

Angela Nagle has written an article about how "ironic Nazis" are out and real Nazis are in. At this point, you don't get to be an ironic Nazi anymore, partially because actual Kekistani flags were seen at the Nazi rally in Cville. You're either out or in, more or less. https://thebaffler.com/latest/goodbye-pepe

So it's not that white supremacy is a dead meme, that's still going strong obviously, but "ironic" skirting-the-edges, plausible deniability white supremacy is.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDmwqTWc2yQ

why would this even be a video.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cheap clickbait for misogynists

Geguri is a korean woman who is so good at overwatch she was accused of cheating during a tournament by two other pro players. she put on an exhibition to prove she was the real deal and they had to quit pro gaming in disgrace

she mains Zarya who is one of the more difficult characters to master with a high skill floor and good timing necessary to play effectively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEkYHkEWeg

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

boner confessor posted:

Geguri is a korean woman who is so good at overwatch she was accused of cheating during a tournament by two other pro players. she put on an exhibition to prove she was the real deal and they had to quit pro gaming in disgrace

she mains Zarya who is one of the more difficult characters to master with a high skill floor and good timing necessary to play effectively

drat. i suck as zaya, cool to see someone that good. i am more of a tracer/reaper myself.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Fyad got to find out last year that forums poster Vile actually has never told a joke in his life
Who was Vile?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

He was the guy that ate four month probations in the primary Trump thread

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anything particularly hilariously racist or just normal unimaginative racism?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He was the guy that ate four month probations in the primary Trump thread
That explains it. I cannot keep up with the Trump thread and gave up.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

rkajdi posted:

Remission doesn't mean you've beaten it, it means you're at a stalemate for awhile. Really aggressive treatment may have bought him some time, but it's still really likely he dies from it in the short-medium term. Still, it's bought the man an extra few months-years with his family, and TB isn't an awful enough person for me to not be happy for him. I wish he became less of an "alt media for the win" shitlord who's fine with GG, but that requires him to live to gain some perspective on it.

It's also hosed to watch supposed anti-GG types drop the same kind of harassment on Laura Dale over her interview with TB as she's gotten from every corner since she's gained some prominence. Couldn't have anything to do with her being an out and proud transwoman, could it? Honestly, I see this less as anti-GG being "just as bad" (a bullshit line if I've ever heard one) as gamers being trash in general who beat up on minorities whenever they get the chance.

it's because before games were more accepted, they became a means of escapism for social rejects. that sort of thing carried on to mid-late 2000s internet which is why like any forum thread from that era that you go back to is the loving worst. they hate women because they could never get a date - and they hate transwomen because they feel betrayed by a "man becoming a woman" - which is how they see it.

i have to drop the card here that i'm trans so my angle is somewhat more up close n personal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They still are though? I spend a huge amount of my time playing games because I find socialization tiring. Nothing changed in the last decade to make them less goony if you want them to be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They have lesbians in them now though. Ones which exist for representation of groups other than my dick. Don't you see how terrible that is.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Anything particularly hilariously racist or just normal unimaginative racism?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=83512 go nuts

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

boner confessor posted:

I don't know enough about Overwatch to understand what's happening in that video, but I do know enough about Overwatch to know that refusing to believe that a Korean girl is one of the greatest e-sports players in the world at a game where one of the characters is literally a Korean girl who is the greatest e-sports player in the world is just loving incredible as a microcosm of everything wrong with gaming.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Reading this thread and other stuff about the terrible misogyny that permeates society has caused me to cringe nearly any time there's a youtube title or article that includes the word :females: to describe a woman doing a thing, because there's always the sense that it carries the "she's pretty good....for a girl" subtext.

And then it usually does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

They still are though? I spend a huge amount of my time playing games because I find socialization tiring. Nothing changed in the last decade to make them less goony if you want them to be.

Games are way more mainstream these days and playing games is no longer an automatically shameful thing

Same thing was happening on a smaller scale in the comic book community air quotes after the marvel movies turned out to be a money machine

• Locked thread