Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think like 6 F3000 drivers won races. Feels I need you to confirm. Was it Alesi, Herbert, Montoya, Hill....I'm forgetting the others.

OK, others I can remember: Webber, Alonso, Coulthard, Olivier Panis, Rubens Barrichello, Heinz-Harald Frentzen. Still remarkably low for the premier F1 feeder series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I feel F3000 created good CART drivers or Eric Bernard (x30).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HHF sucked rear end in F3000 btw. Hilariously the bottom of the F3000 standings in 1991 are much stronger than the top.

10. Montermini (one of the better Italians who never got a shot)
11. Karl Wendlinger, Fabrizio Giovinardi (Wendlinger was promising, Gio was a brilliant touring car driver)
14. Heinz-Harald Frentzen (HHF owned)
15. Laurent Aiello (multiple touring car champion)
16. Alain Menu (one of the best touring car drivers of his generation
19. Allan McNish (is Allan McNish)

meanwhile the top 3 are Fittipaldi, Zanardi, and Naspetti. Actually that whole series is like the Promising Italian Driver Who Didn't Amount To poo poo In F1 Cup

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when washout Italians made one off appearances in CART.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Montermini showed up in a loving horrible car in the 1993 Detroit Grand Prix and randomly kicked loving rear end to the point where Paul Page was calling him a future star of the series, lol.

With his F1 rides being the 1995 Pacific and the 1996 Forti (RIP) he didn't have a loving chance.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Johansson spent some time in the UK. He was pretty promising at one point. My dads company sponsored him, and then he killed Jeff Krosnoff.

I can't recall the race but he almost had a win with Scuderia Ferrari if not for the fact he ran out of fuel. :negative:

Trying to remember any other ex-F1 drivers I've met. Montoya, Sato (duh), Mario, all come to mind. Not sure how each of them are thought about across the pond. Sato and Montoya are amusing to see walk around because they get MOBBED by fans from their home counties.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

HHF sucked rear end in F3000 btw. Hilariously the bottom of the F3000 standings in 1991 are much stronger than the top.

10. Montermini (one of the better Italians who never got a shot)
11. Karl Wendlinger, Fabrizio Giovinardi (Wendlinger was promising, Gio was a brilliant touring car driver)
14. Heinz-Harald Frentzen (HHF owned)
15. Laurent Aiello (multiple touring car champion)
16. Alain Menu (one of the best touring car drivers of his generation
19. Allan McNish (is Allan McNish)

meanwhile the top 3 are Fittipaldi, Zanardi, and Naspetti. Actually that whole series is like the Promising Italian Driver Who Didn't Amount To poo poo In F1 Cup

I'd wager that HHF and Wendlinger could have been champions if the cards fell the right way.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Montermini showed up in a loving horrible car in the 1993 Detroit Grand Prix and randomly kicked loving rear end to the point where Paul Page was calling him a future star of the series, lol.

With his F1 rides being the 1995 Pacific and the 1996 Forti (RIP) he didn't have a loving chance.

Remember Schiaterella? Definite wtf CART entry.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Remember Schiaterella? Definite wtf CART entry.

Also: AJ Foyt randomly hiring Fredrik Ekblom because (?????)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also I think Montermini actually drove that poo poo rear end Eagle on Goodyears in '99 CART briefly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The funniest thing about the IRL will always be that Tony George made it because he idolized all-american oval racer AJ Foyt and Foyt responded by immediately hiring Kenny Brack and Marco Greco.

Marco Greco might be the worst driver of all time to have any lengthy career, by the way. His F3000 results were astoundingly bad considering he was racing for actual teams like Ralt and Pacific. He loving DNQed like every race in a car that Bertrand Gachot managed to get 5th in the championship with.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 18, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'd wager that HHF and Wendlinger could have been champions if the cards fell the right way.

I think the championship would've played out very different had HHF not retired in nurburgring. I think there would've been like 1 point between the three drivers, Jordan probably would've put in a bit more effort and Mika would've been completely mentally broken.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The funniest thing about the IRL will always be that Tony George made it because he idolized all-american oval racer AJ Foyt and Foyt responded by immediately hiring Kenny Brack and Marco Greco.

In his defense? He also hired Davey Hamilton and Billy Boat, but point remains.

Wasn't a successful path to make it to F1 driving DTM at one point?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FuzzySkinner posted:

ehh, kind of, though I more associate it with a stomping ground for ex-F1 drivers (Rosberg and Nannini especially). it was more famous for Gary Paffett constantly being rumored to be the next McLaren driver until everyone realized he was like 35 years old though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Marco Greco might be the worst driver of all time to have any lengthy career, by the way. His F3000 results were astoundingly bad considering he was racing for actual teams like Ralt and Pacific. He loving DNQed like every race in a car that Bertrand Gachot managed to get 5th in the championship with.

Lol Greco loving sucks. Didn't his '97 in the IRL end with no lead Lap finishes but 3rd and place in the standings?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Lol Greco loving sucks. Didn't his '97 in the IRL end with no lead Lap finishes but 3rd and place in the standings?

Yes, with a best finish of 4th. Mainly because of how staggeringly bad the 1997 IRL cars were at reliability.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Actual question: What caused Germans to be so good at F1 after 30 years of producing basically no drivers?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

FuzzySkinner posted:

Mercedes kept trying to float the idea given that they had a presence in that series and none in most single seater formula. I'm pretty sure that's completely dead now that Mercedes is gone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
all I remember is that every year the british press would talk up the idea of Gary Paffett being the next McLaren-Mercedes driver, lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Actual question: What caused Germans to be so good at F1 after 30 years of producing basically no drivers?

Mercedes getting back into motorsports during that time helped a lot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, wasn't the reason the 80s and 90s feeder ladders were full of French drivers because Elf spent a shitload of money on a racing school program or something

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

In his defense? He also hired Davey Hamilton and Billy Boat, but point remains.

It's still sort of there, but you have to win twice and finish 3rd or better in a three year span to qualify for a license (DTM, WRC, WTCC, and Indy Lights are 15/12/10/7/5/3/2/1).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Mercedes getting back into motorsports during that time helped a lot.

Funny enough, thank CART (namely Penske) for that. Mercedes was badging Ilmor engines for a while, and after Paul Morgan died, Mercedes increased it's share of it, renamed it to "Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines", and then "Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think all the ex F1 drivers in DTM giving it the perception of the best quality touring car field in the world was why the FIA tried the misbegotten ITC experiment

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think all the ex F1 drivers in DTM giving it the perception of the best quality touring car field in the world was why the FIA tried the misbegotten ITC experiment

Yeah except those 1994/95 DTM and ITC cars are some of the wildest racing machines ever built. All-wheel drive (at least the Opel and Alfa), screaming engines, all carbon, so many tricks. Marshall Pruett did an interview with Dario Franchiti a couple years ago where more than half of it is Dario describing how batshit insane that era is. The Mercedes had a wing that would retract into the rear deck on straightaways :psyduck:

Also let's not forget two things about the Sauber-Mercedes sports car team in the late 1980s - THAT is what truly brought Mercedes back to motorsports in an official capacity, and the young driver program there had both Schumacher and HHF. Which resulted in Schuey stealing Frentzen's girlfriend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also I think the mid 90s BTCC grid was better. I'll take Biela, Winkelhock, Menu, Rydell, a young James Thompson, and even Paul Radisich (probably the best touring car driver not to win a major title) against the F1 washouts in DTM.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also I think the mid 90s BTCC grid was better. I'll take Biela, Winkelhock, Menu, Rydell, a young James Thompson, and even Paul Radisich (probably the best touring car driver not to win a major title) against the F1 washouts in DTM.

I remember Paul Radisich in the V8s, he could drive but holy poo poo he had no mechanical sympathy.

Also that awful crash he had at Bathurst one year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hyw_4UFV0A

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thinking back, it's pretty strange that BMW didn't put more pressure on Bernie to field a German driver. Lord knows he would've been open to it if the price was right.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poty posted:

The current engines are fine.

In fact I think they should go back to the 2014 spec when Ferrari was like a second and a half behind Merc

im going to kick your rear end

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

I remember Paul Radisich in the V8s, he could drive but holy poo poo he had no mechanical sympathy.

Also that awful crash he had at Bathurst one year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hyw_4UFV0A

I REMEMBER PAUL RADISICH. I also remember Marcus Ambrose before he went across to the US to be a permanent member of the lower-midfield in NASCAR [and get paid like 50x more].

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I think I bumped into 1500quid's doppelgänger on the train this morning. Put a beer that looks like it's from the 1970s or some $9 spanish wine in his hand and I'd have sworn it was him.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

I think I bumped into 1500quid's doppelgänger on the train this morning. Put a beer that looks like it's from the 1970s or some $9 spanish wine in his hand and I'd have sworn it was him.

The suit tie certainly looks like it came from a bin.

Edited because on reflection that's actually quite a nice well fitting suit.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 18, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Navy suit and pink tie (and probably bright red power socks) is basically the uniform of wealth managers, DFMs and private bankers. It's unusual to see them outside of their St. James' habitat and over here in the City.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Theophany posted:

Navy suit and pink tie (and probably bright red power socks) is basically the uniform of wealth managers, DFMs and private bankers. It's unusual to see them outside of their St. James' habitat and over here in the City.

Yes, but he's ginger. So probably works in the mail room.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Brainwrong posted:

Yes, but he's ginger. So probably works in the mail room.

I thought the only acceptable prejudices in this thread are towards fraudulent British drivers, cheating German teams, literally-a-loving-Nazi Austrians and shoe-drinking Bogan shitheels? Are we adding more?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Theophany posted:

I thought the only acceptable prejudices in this thread are towards fraudulent British drivers, cheating German teams, literally-a-loving-Nazi Austrians and shoe-drinking Bogan shitheels? Are we adding more?

When has it not been acceptable to be prejudiced against gingers? :colbert:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

all I remember is that every year the british press would talk up the idea of Gary Paffett being the next McLaren-Mercedes driver, lol

Please don't remind me :( I always wanted to see him be given a proper season and I was pretty happy when he was "confirmed" to be one of Prodrive F1's drivers before all of that fell apart because David Richards had absolutely no intention of actually designing and building a car from scratch.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya I'm not that a ginger and I think there's like three times in my life I've worn a suit. That dude can't be me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He also probably buys fresh tires every track session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Wirth1000 posted:

Please don't remind me :( I always wanted to see him be given a proper season and I was pretty happy when he was "confirmed" to be one of Prodrive F1's drivers before all of that fell apart because David Richards had absolutely no intention of actually designing and building a car from scratch.

I was always keen to see him get a race seat because he was a local'ish boy (he was from Bromley, I grew just down the road) so I'd be happy to cheer him on

• Locked thread