Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
God yes. We had a cockatiel when I was little named Spike. And Spike's favorite thing on this planet was chicken noodle soup. The Campbell stuff out of the can.

You'd get a bowl out and then you could tell when Spike noticed because you got the *intense* look. Head turn, lean, the whole nine yards. You had soup and he wanted some.

The effect was kind of ruined by bird feet in your soup, but he didn't care. He wanted those noodles, and by God he was going to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco has learned that pastries come in white paper bags, and if I have one she won't stop till she finds out what is inside the bag, and then gets a piece of whatever it is.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

She would be horribly disappointed to know that at my place, pill bottles come in white paper bags.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Eejit posted:

A bit of cosmoline never hurt anybirb

Jesus, I think I still have consmoline on my hands from my first military surplus rifle. How is that bird alive?!

I'll post a picture when I remember how imgur works on a phone.

Edit - Does imgur not work for the forums anymore or did I forget how tags work?!

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 18, 2017

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

She would be horribly disappointed to know that at my place, pill bottles come in white paper bags.

Taco has gotten used to pills and shows very little interest in them, which is good given how many I have laying around the house.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

Jesus, I think I still have consmoline on my hands from my first military surplus rifle. How is that bird alive?!

Edit - Does imgur not work for the forums anymore or did I forget how tags work?!

You need the BBCode link that ends in the filetype (.jpg/.png)

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Log posted:

ftfy

wonder what birdy thinks of his stuffed brethren up there?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Just a quick check in about my partner and my bird situation:

We have a breeder we love! We have a cage and equipment!
... and we might be moving in the next few months to a situation where it would be harder to have a bird in! :negative:

So we are waiting for the time being until we know what's gonna happen. Until then we'll have to enjoy your birds as surrogates. :h:

Thank you all for sharing your birds!

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 18, 2017

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

This thread is the chillest/most non actually-crazy place to talk about pet birds, it's the best

I try to post/reply to as many people as possible, especially if it's a questions post, but thread as a whole is pretty great about replying to people who actually ask for advice and making sure people get responses

Lately though I'm mostly just posting some photos without much comment, pretty much because taking and sharing cute photos is a nice little distraction from IRL. In short but without getting too E/N-gently caress cancer

Yeah, i hear you there. I totally understand....I'll go thru later today if I can or tomorrow and post some cute Cricket video/pics for you to see a fat 88 gram PorkBirb of a conure.

I'll have to try the toilet paper roll and see what she thinks of that. She's been seriously debating about getting the one hanging up when she is in the bathroom with me, so hmmm.

As for the food... Cricket doesn't care what it is. She sees me eating it, and therefore, I MUST share....I guess it's birdie law or something. She gets furious when I don't let her have something, cos I can't eat sugar and I have artificial sweeteners etc and i wont let her have those. She throws the biggest tantrum...its frickin hilarious. But, during the day when I have something she can have, she is more than happy to jump on my plate and help herself. And if that isn't good enough for Her Birdieness she likes to grab my fork or spoon away and try to eat off it. She is fully into the birdie feet add flavor thing...and loves nothing more than to try to steal anything I have by landing in the middle and working her way out, no matter what it is.

The lady who raised her for us said she was VERY food oriented...my god she wasn't kidding. This bird will do almost anything for food...the other day she was "helping" me make breakfast, and she was trying her damnedest to get her beak around a piece of steak. I finally distracted her by showing her the eggs, but....she kept making a beeline back to the steak. Finally, I had to put her in her cage with a little dish of scrambled egg and part of a cracker to get her lustful gaze off my steak. I've never seen a bird love protein like she does...she ran off with a shrimp from my husband's dinner last night. At least it was only a little one, but I had no idea she could fly with a shrimp in her beak!

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 18, 2017

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Hey, so, uh, I had to pare down my flock a bit in the past month.

So for now I have just two ringneck doves, Smokey and Velcro.

And a, uh...an actual pigeon.

and another pigeon reserved from a breeder

I'm capping out at four birds, I swear to god this time.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

little_firebird posted:

Hey, so, uh, I had to pare down my flock a bit in the past month.

So for now I have just two ringneck doves, Smokey and Velcro.

And a, uh...an actual pigeon.

and another pigeon reserved from a breeder

I'm capping out at four birds, I swear to god this time.

yeah.

SURE you are...we have heard that before :P 3 leads to 4, and 4 leads to more.....uh huh.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Because I eventually plan to write a book that will sell five copies about American parakeets, I've honestly considered buying ALL the parakeets out of a petstore and putting them in a giant enclosure just to see what kind of behaviours I would observe.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

This really makes me want to adopt a birb.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Buttons is a delight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70s3PATrySU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

cracker?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've never heard an eclectus talk, so I looked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0an7RyaLt0

Is this pretty standard?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mizuti posted:

Is this pretty standard?

Sounds pretty eclectic to me.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mizuti posted:

Is this pretty standard?

Yeah, they're a little less Shmorky and more gravely drunk ranting outside the bottle-o at 2am.

E: I am convinced Max (as in possessed radio Max who is scared of the carrier) and his owner are actually just Lowtax and Shmorky in cunning disguises so they don't have to play any more Cry of Fear

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Female eclectuses have the most fabulous eyeliner

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Hyacinth macaws have the best voices of any parrot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y9VWhgjwek
Parrotlets sound exactly like they should https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0tF-bXAhqo
But Mynahs are just ridiculous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS7taiZgVKY

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Youth Decay posted:

Hyacinth macaws have the best voices of any parrot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y9VWhgjwek
Parrotlets sound exactly like they should https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0tF-bXAhqo
But Mynahs are just ridiculous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS7taiZgVKY

Hello boss hello boss.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
https://youtu.be/YIvFMvYwSS8

In which Shmorky torments a cat, while Lowtax disapproves.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
speaking of speaking/singing birds, i have met this parrot and she is exactly as crazy as she comes across in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPRWyIXEGs

she is also super friendly

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Hello boss hello boss.

gonna kill boss tonight

GoldStandardConure fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 20, 2017

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Every Amazon is an opera singer, I love it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Log posted:

: gasp : Tell me about Pluto! I feel like Pluto has happened while I was in hospital.

Okay this also is Pluto.

And, uh, this is Mercury:

Okay look actually they're almost impossible to tell apart when they're not standing next to each other. They're both mille de fleur banty hens. The most visible differences between them are that Pluto is slightly larger and has white spots further up her back.

Venus is an Easter Egger hen. When they start laying, she'll produce funny coloured eggs. She is cuddly and fat. She's gotten less "blonde" as she's gotten older.

Mars is our sole Rhode Island Red. While one of the bigger chickens, she seems to be near the bottom of the pecking order. She's friendly but doesn't especially like being picked up. She was the one you saw pecking my legs a couple posts ago

Jupiter is large and in charge. Jersey Giants are great. They're docile but protect other hens. We got Jupiter to fulfill the role of the rooster, since the county doesn't allow roosters, and it turned out pretty much exactly as we hoped. She looks after the smaller hens in the pecking order. A lot of breeders don't care for Jerseys because while they're bigger and lay bigger eggs, they take much longer to reach maturity and are not especially productive. I'm not going to eat my chickens and will have all the eggs that I need, so I like having a Jersey around.

Saturn is a Wyandotte and frankly the bitch of the bunch. She has two hobbies: a) picking fights with Jupiter and getting slapped down, and b) picking on the other chickens and getting slapped down by Jupiter.

Uranus is an Easter Egger like Venus, but with darker plumage. Both can be distinguished as Easter Eggs by their greenish feet! Uranus is also somewhat larger than Venus. She's skittish and usually keeps her distance, but she has jumped into my lap a time or two.

Neptune is also a banty, but of the Buff Brahma breed, making her significantly bigger than Mercury and Pluto. She's also much more hands-off. I distinguish her by the "necklace" of black feathers.

Group pics!

Mars and a banty when they were small.

Something about the pattern of light through the trees made a hamburger bun look like the chickens were eating a ball of light.

This blurry photo nonetheless shows their relative sizes.

In order to meet county regulations for keeping the coop a sufficient distance from any dwelling, we had to clear a 20' by 20' area of pure dense brush. The vines were so thick that I could chainsaw a small tree at the base and it wouldn't fall down. And as luck would have it, there were three huge fallen trees within that space. I had to chainsaw huge chunks of tree and clear them. Originally we planned to chop them up for firewood, but both the trunk pieces and the large branches eventually became part of a chicken playground after we built the run.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 20, 2017

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like those chickens :3:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Ok what is it with lorikeets and water? Is this like their little happy rain dance?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It is a dream that one day I have a cabin in the middle of nowhere and get to raise chickens. Those gals are gorgeous! I personally took chicken out of my diet for two reasons -

A. - they lay eggs which is a better equilibrium than being meat.

B. - loving nobody knows how to correctly cook chicken.

I'm not strict about it (if I'm at a restraint working on a star I know the proteins are handled with respect and well done) and turkeys are bastards so I'm no Ghandhi about it. But I feel like chicken as meat is a big ole' waste of resources.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Roosters don't lay. :black101:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Eifert Posting posted:

Roosters don't lay. :black101:

Coq au vin is delicious.

I'm not vegetarian or an ethical God - but I truly think chickens possess too high a level of intelligence to be farmed in the manner that takes place in America.

I also genuinely think most people absolutely cannot cook chicken well. It's like gristle jerky or food poisoning.

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Captain Log posted:

Coq au vin is delicious.

I'm not vegetarian or an ethical God - but I truly think chickens possess too high a level of intelligence to be farmed in the manner that takes place in America.

Agreed.

Bird book recommendation: The Wonder of Birds by Jim Robbins

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I tried making my budgie's 'annoyed' whistle at him when he was being a little assbutt and screeching on my shoulder.

He just about bit my earlobe off and flew off, now he is sulking in Thunderdome.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I was in Hengshan Mountain park over the weekend, a bunch of people had their songbirds out for fresh air.

I kind of really want to get a couple of mini-vases for my parrot.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

iRend posted:

I tried making my budgie's 'annoyed' whistle at him when he was being a little assbutt and screeching on my shoulder.

He just about bit my earlobe off and flew off, now he is sulking in Thunderdome.

you must have said something rude!

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Oh I forgot I did this!

Yesterday was lovely, so I brought Pig outside to meet about fifty rosellas. He was quite cool with it probably as 3/4 of his cage was covered over.

Also met this guy and I have no idea what he is. Apologies for quality, was tooling around with a new camera.

Also while tooling around with the new camera. I managed to get a good 7 shots off before he fell in love with it and velcro'd again.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

iRend posted:

Oh I forgot I did this!

Yesterday was lovely, so I brought Pig outside to meet about fifty rosellas. He was quite cool with it probably as 3/4 of his cage was covered over.

Also met this guy and I have no idea what he is. Apologies for quality, was tooling around with a new camera.

Also while tooling around with the new camera. I managed to get a good 7 shots off before he fell in love with it and velcro'd again.

That is a superb fairy wren/blue wren. The blue ones are breeding boys and the brown ones, which are harder to see, are girls and "eclipse" (non breeding) boys. They eat small bugs and hop around at high speed like brightly coloured Willy wagtails. In breeding season the boys are frequently seen violently attacking car mirrors and sliding glass doors. They live all over eastern Australia from QLD down to Tasmania. They lay the tiniest eggs ever.

E: Wikipedia reminds me that brown boys have blue tails while girls have red/orange masks around their eyes and beaks. It can be hard to get close enough to see them in my experience unless you are spying on them with binoculars.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 21, 2017

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Our little jerk had a hatchday treat yesterday. At first it was instant death, then it was delicious.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

That is a superb fairy wren/blue wren. The blue ones are breeding boys and the brown ones, which are harder to see, are girls and "eclipse" (non breeding) boys. They eat small bugs and hop around at high speed like brightly coloured Willy wagtails. In breeding season the boys are frequently seen violently attacking car mirrors and sliding glass doors. They live all over eastern Australia from QLD down to Tasmania. They lay the tiniest eggs ever.

E: Wikipedia reminds me that brown boys have blue tails while girls have red/orange masks around their eyes and beaks. It can be hard to get close enough to see them in my experience unless you are spying on them with binoculars.

Splendid Fairy Wren > Superb Fairy Wren :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I moved the cage into the study, and someone was very pleased by her new view.