Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Those sex scenes are insane but I still can't stop thinking about shartball, and probably never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Okay, so, never getting a Maine Coon then. I don't need to deal with a cat with... chybuts.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

someone awful. posted:

Those sex scenes are insane but I still can't stop thinking about shartball, and probably never will

This is exactly the point where I lost it. Boringly bad books are a dime a dozen. This? This is something special.

PYF terrible book: SHARTBALL

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Please tell me there is more about shartball, I must know its secrets.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sadly, I only see one other mention, on page 29: "He left the rest of his lunch uneaten. Children ran around the yard playing Shartball in small groups."

I don't know why it's capitalized there and lowercase later.

Edit: I decided to substitute this line for the other one in my original post.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Aug 11, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If I watched small groups of children play Shartball, I too would likely leave the rest of my lunch uneaten, especially if said lunch was in the blast radius

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The uncut version, as Heinlen wrote it, is 655 pages long.

But enough about such well-trodden topics...

This is horrifying. Maybe even moreso than shartball and the furred-chicken's shriveled husk of a third testicle.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

there wolf posted:

But in actual content, has anyone read Dan Simmons Hyperion series? I remembered loving it as a teen, and then made the mistake of rereading it. Raul Endymion isn't a strict Mary-Sue author insert, but instead the much more common type of insert that combines the authors aspirational vision of what a hero is with a presumed everyman outlook that's just the author's voice coming straight through.Three books building up the a resolution of great mystery, prophecy and the final conflict between mankind and the AI gods, all see from the viewpoint of an insecure boyfriend obsessing over what his girlfriend did on break. Should have let it all in the nostalgia pile.

Hyperion and Fall Of Hyperion are both fantastic and can be read as one self contained story. Good cast of fleshed out characters, complex narrative, no weird sexual politics (that I can remember, don't quote me on that.)

Endimyon and Rise Of Endimyon are God awful. They take place about 300 years after the first two, which was just to give Simmons an excuse to retcon inconvenient narrative points. One of the good guys from the first two books turns evil for no reason and reigns as the immortal space Pope.

The book are presented as Raul's memoirs that he wrote in a tiny prison that's floating in space well after the main plot resolves itself. This prison is a tiny box that will release poison gas once the onboard random number generator hits a pre chosen digit. Somehow he still has time to write the two decent sized books

After he finishes, he realizes out of nowhere that he can just teleport out of the goddamn box. That's how he saves himself. He was just to dumb to realize that he has loving superpowers.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
For even more whiplash, Simmons' Ilium and Olympos are a duology. Ilium is a fascinating multilayered posthuman setup leading up a totally loving metal cliffhanger climax. Olympos parks all the fun stuff for half hte book then swerves into explaining how it was all the fault of evil Muslims.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

xiw posted:

For even more whiplash, Simmons' Ilium and Olympos are a duology. Ilium is a fascinating multilayered posthuman setup leading up a totally loving metal cliffhanger climax. Olympos parks all the fun stuff for half hte book then swerves into explaining how it was all the fault of evil Muslims.

To be fair, Ilium has distinct tendencies in that direction. It talks about "effete liberals", there are lots of manly men being macho, a few side swipes at academics. Not enough to ruin the book but enough to distract.

And I never quite bought how classic ancient heroes, no matter how badass, could possibly present a credible threat to post human armies.

Book was really enjoyable tho'

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

there wolf posted:

I think Stranger in a Strange Land has some serious time-capsule value as a sample of what passed for progressive sexual politics back in the day. Like if someone tells you that the sexual revolution benefited men at the expense of women, just go read this book all about sexual liberation being a divine gift that will free us all where the two most significant women female characters literally become interchangeable at the end.

I recall reading somewhere that Heinlein deliberately wrote SiaSL for anti-establishment youth. It's definitely a period piece: it reads like the Summer of Love and generation gap never ended.

And late Heinlein novels are just full of sexy women who love being sexy. Charitably, I'd say he was just writing what his audience wanted. (Just like Neal Stephenson.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

outlier posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Heinlein deliberately wrote SiaSL for anti-establishment youth. It's definitely a period piece: it reads like the Summer of Love and generation gap never ended.

And late Heinlein novels are just full of sexy women who love being sexy. Charitably, I'd say he was just writing what his audience wanted. (Just like Neal Stephenson.)

late Heinlein was post-brain-damage so that probably contributed to the drop in quality

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

grittyreboot posted:

Hyperion and Fall Of Hyperion are both fantastic and can be read as one self contained story. Good cast of fleshed out characters, complex narrative, no weird sexual politics (that I can remember, don't quote me on that.)

Endimyon and Rise Of Endimyon are God awful. They take place about 300 years after the first two, which was just to give Simmons an excuse to retcon inconvenient narrative points. One of the good guys from the first two books turns evil for no reason and reigns as the immortal space Pope.

The book are presented as Raul's memoirs that he wrote in a tiny prison that's floating in space well after the main plot resolves itself. This prison is a tiny box that will release poison gas once the onboard random number generator hits a pre chosen digit. Somehow he still has time to write the two decent sized books

After he finishes, he realizes out of nowhere that he can just teleport out of the goddamn box. That's how he saves himself. He was just to dumb to realize that he has loving superpowers.

I didn't hate Endymion. It didn't have the mystery and dread of the first duology, but the tone shift didn't seem so out of place considering that you were following a child on a journey away from forbidden planet; the river journey had a bit of scifi mysticism to it, and it was neat to see the fallout of all the big poo poo from book two. Ending was weak as gently caress though.

But the last book was just maddening. It has the worst, most shoe-horned in piece of some literary term for telegraphing a plot point way ahead of time? [spolier] Aenea is the messiah and destined to die, she also has some time bending powers. So she sends her lover Raul on some long quest so they're apart for years, then uses her powers to jump ahead in time to after her death, meet up with future-Raul and have a baby with him. She jumps back after a year in time to reunite with Raul, and then for no loving reason she tells him that while they were apart she had a baby. Wont explain who with or where it went just that it happened so he can obsess over it and pout, and boy does he ever. There's no purpose for it but to make you go ooohhhh at the end when they're reunited. Don't worry about Raul being all alone in a year when she bamfs off to meet her destiny I guess? [/spoiler]

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Speaking of Dan Simmons, how about Flashback?

quote:

Dan Simmons, for years familiar to fans of science fiction, fantasy, and horror, made his way to the general reader with two historical/horror hybrids. The Terror, published in 2007, was an enthralling and fantastical conjuring up of Sir John Franklin's doomed voyage in search of a Northwest Passage. Drood, appearing two years later, was a creepily ingenious extrapolation of Charles Dickens's unfinished last novel and his vexed friendship with Wilkie Collins. Then came last year's Black Hills, a less satisfying story that posited an American Indian's mystical union with the soul of General George Custer.

So much for history. With Flashback, Simmons has, for the moment at least, put the past behind him and turned a righteous pen to a dystopian future. It is circa 2032, or more precisely, the 23rd year of Jobless Recovery. The U.S. is tottering, weighing in at only 44½ states, its mass eaten away by Mexico, its interior rotted out by floods of immigrants, by loss of faith in a free-market economy, by national health care and a myriad of other entitlement programs, by the global-warming hoax and green-energy boondoggles, and by drugs, the most pervasive being "flashback," which allows its users to visit their pasts in a dream state. It's a bad, bad time, and its fatal origins lie, we are instructed, with the Obama presidency, its spendthrift domestic programs and pusillanimous foreign policy.

Highways are disintegrating, people live in former malls cut into cubicles, and, adding insult to injury, right-wing talk radio has been banned. Japanese overlords have set up "green zones" across the land and America’s once proud and powerful military is now hired out as mercenaries to fight for Japan and India. At the same time, a New Global Caliphate flourishes and Islam spreads. An immense and towering mosque sits at Ground Zero and annual celebrations commemorate the attacks of September 11, 2001. In Los Angeles, where much of the story takes place, the bells of Christian churches add their peels to "the cries of the muezzin…to show their solidarity, understanding, and forgiveness." The Caliphate has obliterated Israel with eleven exceedingly dirty nuclear bombs, killing six million Jews. The survivors of this "Second Holocaust" are now sequestered in a former Six Flags amusement park in Denver by a U.S. government "terrified of angering the Global Caliphate" that is waiting to exterminate them.

With all this going on (and on), there hardly seems room for a plot, and yet there is one, balky and encumbered by jeremiads though it may be. Nick Bottom, Denver resident, ex-policemen, and sometime private detective, has been addicted to flashback ever since his wife was killed in a car crash five years ago. The drug lets him relive their happy times, but it has ruined his actual life and alienated his son. This is Val, who has gone to live in Los Angeles with his maternal grandfather. But the boy, tumid with anger and angst, is going to the bad, having joined one of the many "flash gangs" that roam the disintegrating city, committing violent and unspeakable acts in order to revisit the thrill through flashback. Val's gang has something big planned, but he himself just wants to get back to Denver to kill his dad for not phoning him on his birthday. Plus, L.A. is erupting into full-blown war; so Val and the old man join a convoy of big rigs traveling west over lurid and lawless highways and meet people with strong views, all thoroughly aired.

Meanwhile, Nick has been hired by a Catholic, multibillionaire Japanese overlord to solve the six-year-old murder of his son, a case Nick had failed to crack when he was on the police force. Why call on him again? It's a mystery and a growing source of great fishiness. Getting to the bottom of it involves quantities of flashback, some high-tech virtual-reality spectacles, an enormous, impassive Japanese warrior dude, a few ninjas, two futuristic armored personnel carriers, and one 2015 Chevy Camaro with gun slits for windows and a "raging 6.2-liter l99 V-8 engine" (delivering "603 horsepower and 518-pound-feet of torque"). If anything can plow through polemics, this baby can, and indeed, the battles and chases that interrupt their didactic flow provide the book's only entertainment. In the end, the novel's real mystery remains: How could the witty and potent imagination that produced The Terror and Drood wither to such smug and censorious dullness?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Suleman posted:

Speaking of Dan Simmons, how about Flashback?

Ahaha god drat. This is so goddamn masturbatory it should be listed in the erotic literature genre. Sexually frustrated housewives write stories where a trio of godlike Adonises pine after the protagonist and ravish her in increasingly infeasible ways, whereas politically frustrated conservatives write this. :allears:

Also:

quote:

Then came last year's Black Hills, a less satisfying story that posited an American Indian's mystical union with the soul of General George Custer.

What are the odds this ended with the native American eventually being convinced that Custer was cool and good and eradicating the Natives was kinda justified?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Arcsquad12 posted:

PYF terrible book: His third chybut sack swelled

Maybe it's because I'm tired and it's late, but I burst out laughing at that.

I'm considering getting it as an avatar, this is incredible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We need to read this whole book. It's too awful not to.

I found the original series this is from.

quote:

On the cold distant world Aroriel -- where primate species never
developed -- evolution spawned a furry saurian race that now reaches for
the stars. Commander Geupetus of Clan Darius, offered command of the first near-lightspeed starship, hesitates to take the job, as Furlitian
Law forbids his pre-adolescent twins Murkuria and Thorius from
accompanying their Clan on this historic mission into interstellar
space.
Clan Darius, after careful deliberation as a family, driven by
their sense of responsibility, discipline, and duty, decide they must
squelch their emotions and accept the commission - leaving the twins on
Aroriel.
But the paradox caused by the Clan's traveling near the
speed of light means that IF the twins ever see their family again, they
will be older than their parents! Distraught, Thorius conceives an
outrageous plan to stow aboard the great starship, and Murkuria agrees
after a rare nightmare tells her they must do this. He and Murkuria
borrow a family shuttle, and whiz off, determined to reach the Space
Center before dawn launch. With the help of Iggie, Murkuria's pet
Matissia, they sneak aboard the starship, inadvertently causing the Sunpyne
to crash land on an alien world, where dinosaurian life like their own
is long extinct, and strange primate beings that call themselves Human
populate the planet.
Following a violent first confrontation with two
natives, they race to repair the ship. A second meeting, with a family
camping out in the wilderness around the ship, results in friendship,
and information exchange. However, after their Human friends leave to
return to a distant home, the Human military locates the downed
starship, just after the crew completes full repairs. Geupetus powers up
the ship, but suddenly realizes his twins and one Cadet are not aboard.
With enemy warcraft peppering the area with arms fire, and unable to
lower shields to recover his children and crewmate, Geupetus refuses to
leave without them. Will the furlites ever see their beloved home
again?

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Aug 11, 2017

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dan Simmons best work is phenomenal. But his bad stuff is some of the worst I've ever read. Not a whole lot of middle ground with him

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chitoryu12 posted:

We need to read this whole book. It's too awful not to.
I actually have another book that I really need to do a Let's Read of, but I didn't really have a chance this summer, and I'll be busy with grad school for a while. I might be able to manage it over the winter break. Trust me, this thing makes Curse of Koris look completely sane.

chitoryu12 posted:

I found the original series this is from.
Yeah, On Matissia Wings and Earth-Bred, Matissia-Born are a duo about these aliens' journey to and return from Earth. Curse of Koris is a companion novel about poo poo that goes down while they're away.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Shartball aside (and boy I want to sort of do a Let's Read but no)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like lovely fan fiction, this derail has gone on too long and the editor is handing back our first draft with a shitload of red ink

Unless you're Snowdragon Icequeen with "Master of the Universe," aka E. L. James with the 50 Shades series. There are published copies of 50 Shades with very basic grammar errors (like a missing word or a misspelling) any editor should have caught along with things like a character's drive into Seattle described in detail...but from the wrong direction. James has literally blocked people on social media for pointing this out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

What are the odds this ended with the native American eventually being convinced that Custer was cool and good and eradicating the Natives was kinda justified?

I started to read the book but didn't get very far. IIRC there wasn't really much to the whole thing as Custer didn't realize he was dead/ever conversed with the Native guy. It was just the Native guy had a bizarre stream of consciousness ramble of Custer's thoughts in his head.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

muscles like this! posted:

I started to read the book but didn't get very far. IIRC there wasn't really much to the whole thing as Custer didn't realize he was dead/ever conversed with the Native guy. It was just the Native guy had a bizarre stream of consciousness ramble of Custer's thoughts in his head.

If it didn't end with "Oh poo poo where did all these Indians come from" then the author missed a trick.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Are we sure Dan Brown is a human, and not just a name slapped onto an AI trained to find patterns in an art history text book?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That would imply his having actually read an art history textbook.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I guess you're right. The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail isn't really an art history book.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Labes for days posted:

I'm considering getting it as an avatar, this is incredible.

Live the dream.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

DarkDobe posted:

Live the dream.

:glomp: I shall wear it proudly around the forums.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Flashback posted:

OMG THE LIBERALS WILL DOOM US ALL

I simply cannot understand how people with these sort of political views can just be so unbelievably myopic. It's never enough to just theorize a few bad results from 'left leaning matters of importance': it has to be a world where gay people can force you to have sex with them on the street because TOLERANCE AND ACCEPTANCE IS KING and all the dirty foreigners took the Liberal's attempts to 'be nice' and used it to kick them down, squat over them, and take a big steaming dump while laughing and praising (INSERT CURRENT DISLIKED RELIGIOUS DEITY HERE).

I think it comes, if anything, from a subconscious realization that their group has had a billion advantages and abused them terribly (as well as everyone else) and that if they even get the slightest chance the Evil Others will immediately try and do the exact same thing to them. It's like all of them have obsessively studied the French Revolution and learned all the wrong lessons (and masturbatory indulgences) from it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Labes for days posted:

:glomp: I shall wear it proudly around the forums.

You've already managed to horrify me in completely unrelated threads.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think it comes, if anything, from a subconscious realization that their group has had a billion advantages and abused them terribly (as well as everyone else) and that if they even get the slightest chance the Evil Others will immediately try and do the exact same thing to them. It's like all of them have obsessively studied the French Revolution and learned all the wrong lessons (and masturbatory indulgences) from it.

There's a quote I heard a long time ago that "homophobia is the fear men will treat you the way you treat women."

But I think it's more the fact that some people can't accept the idea that other people have examined all the same arguments and evidence and come to a different conclusion; it must actually be that they're either evil or incompetent or both.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

This sounds like a fantastic read

quote:

I will now summarize the bizzare "novel" a customer ("author") gave to me after she insisted I read it:

Defying the Odds by Renae Marsh (not to be confused with Defying the Odds by everyone else on earth) is something. I don't even know how to begin.

It's 200 pages long in maybe 24 pt font or larger, so it's actually like 40 pages of Jesus-praising bliss. It's about Jenny, a 5'1" Olympic-class swimmer whose parents won't let her compete in the actual Olympics because she has to "finish her studies" and it's not God's plan or something. Oh wait, there's more. She gets to do high school swim meets and she never can beat this 6'3" dreamy hunk, Kenneth, even though it's already been established that she's the fastest woman ever born and do they even have co-ed swim meets?

Anyway, she gets into Princeton, "is recruited by the navy," gets married and has two kids with some TERRIBLE CHEATING MAN but she stays with him because Jesus. Oh, then she "rejoins the Navy" and she's a 5'1" Navy Seal.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

We're at war with someone who is never identified or described at all in any manner whatsoever. Jenny is tasked with swimming around and defusing underwater bombs that "the enemy" keeps blowing up Florida, Texas, and other gulf-bordering states with (good riddance). Her boss, THE EVIL GENERAL BRIGGS (why isn't he an Admiral???), keeps sending her on overly-dangerous missions because she's an outspoken Christian and he hates God.

He hates God because when he was a tall dreamy 6'3" teen who was great at swimming, his parents got gunned down outside a theater like the Waynes. That's right, he's GENERAL KENNETH BRIGGS!
He's blocked out his childhood because of the trauma and now he hates Jenny. She defies him one too many times so he banishes her to his secret Survivor island prison off the coast of Florida with 12 other military folks, including another General, who haven't been able to escape. Oh, and he occasionally visits to make sure they are behaving and to save Jenny from snakebites and fall in love with her.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Jenny takes four days to walk the island so she can see how big it is. Apparently that's how long it takes a Navy Seal to travel 24 miles. She finally swims through a crazy long underwater cave and finds a hut with a radio and HOLY poo poo THE ENEMY HAS BOMBED AGAIN! IN HER SPECIFIC NEIGHBORHOOD! NO SURVIVORS! With her philandering husband and pesky kids gone, all she has left is her trusty Bible (oh I forgot, they were allowed one luxury item and she chose that), which she constantly forgets and has to go back and get, placing everyone in danger.

"Everyone" is the list of stereotypical one-dimensional red shirts the author kills off periodically in terrible ways. Jenny coverts them to Christianity before they stop breathing if she can, of course. There's a tiger there for some reason, and monkeys, which she calls "chimps" and "monkeys" interchangeably, and koalas, and every kind of tropical fruit along with chickens and pigs. It's a loving zoo.
Anyway, the hut belongs to the bad guys and they kill some throwaway characters outside. Jenny hears someone coming, grabs a hammer, and goes into, and I quote, "Indian mode."

Holy loving poo poo.

Welp, it's Briggs. She bonks him and he gets amnesia and falls in love with her more and remembers he knew her in high school and finds Jesus and gets forgiveness and they escape in THE ENEMY'S boats and go home, the end.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

She forgets her Bible on her bunk and Briggs takes it to her and professes his love for Jesus and her and proposes marriage (like a day after the mass funeral for her husband and kids) and she says yes!
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL STORY OF FORGIVENESS WITH NO CONSEQUENCES FOR RUNNING A CRAZY TORTURE ISLAND IN A WAR ZONE.

A+++, WOULD RECOMMEND

https://www.facebook.com/bob.talbot/posts/10159222171120424

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

<-- crazy goes here -->

I vote you do a Let's Read of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

someone awful. posted:

someone awful. posted:

That bit has been popping into my head all week, and I can never answer when people ask why what I'm chuckling about.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Proteus Jones posted:

I vote you do a Let's Read of it.

Sadly i am not Bob :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

Sadly i am not Bob :(

https://www.amazon.com/Defying-Odds-Renae-Marsh/dp/1548800783 :classiclol:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That bit has been popping into my head all week, and I can never answer when people ask why what I'm chuckling about.

My roommates have a Maine Coon, and I bring up his withered husk of a chybut everytime he licks his crotch.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

quote:

all she has left is her trusty Bible (oh I forgot, they were allowed one luxury item and she chose that)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Dan Simmons best work is phenomenal. But his bad stuff is some of the worst I've ever read. Not a whole lot of middle ground with him

I couldn't finish The Terror, I found it incredibly tedious with plot points telegraphed from a mile away yet with every character being oblivious to them.

I do remember Ilium being good though, mainly for the robot crab character but yeah the sequel was... strange. Assuming that's the one where half of it involved a dome in the Mediterranean filled with lizard men called caliban or whatever the gently caress it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I couldn't finish The Terror, I found it incredibly tedious with plot points telegraphed from a mile away yet with every character being oblivious to them.

I liked it, wasn't great but good enough to make me feel a little bit exicted about the upcoming TV series.

Speaking of Simmons, has anyone read Abominable?