Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

B&H dicked me out of my Destiny 2 code :ughh: , thats what I get for not following up immediately

i got 2 for no reason with my 1080ti, suck it bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Fauxtool posted:

i got 2 for no reason with my 1080ti, suck it bro

B&H would have gladly accomdated me.

If i had a screenshot of the product page from 2 months ago :lol:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Holy moly what a launch!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

"I have many regrets." -Vega

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
"Our present understanding is that Newegg received 60-70 units allocated for “packs” on their store, but a significantly lower number of standalone cards."

For a retailer the size of Newegg? Good job AMD delayed RX so they had sufficient inventory.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The antics of the GPU division must be extremely frustrating to the CPU division right now. Kind of like if your at an award ceremony and before you can get to the podium to speak your incredibly drunk, naked racist twin gets there before you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

If Acer ends up coming out with a GSync version of the 34" then I guess oh well, I curse angrily and then see how quickly I can haul rear end back down to Microcenter and upgrade.

Thanks for all the info. I'm not sure if Acer could do a Gsync version because the resolution is a little higher than than the 21:9 1440 100hz, like I don't think they've have enough bandwidth with the DP chip they're using.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Delusibeta posted:

£400 for the Vega 56 sounds fair right now, but if they're going to repeat the pricing shenanigans that they're rumoured to be doing with the Vega 64 then you'll probably be best jumping on this quick.

Alternatively, PC Part Picker says that eBuyer is taking pre-orders for this Zotac Mini 1070 for £340. Sure, it's a mini GPU and won't cool as well as a full fat GPU, but it's also a good £40 cheaper than any other 1070.

I was gonna wait for AIB prices to come out but tbh from the way it sounds like things are going I'm just not sure it's going to be worth it. I'll be fine sticking with the 480 I guess. ::(

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fiji :negative:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I really should have bought a drat Firesale Sapphire Fury :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Vega 64 is now $699 and $799 for air and water versions lol.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Don Lapre posted:

Vega 64 is now $699 and $799 for air and water versions lol.

How much are you saving on the freesync though

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Freesync isn't worth a card that much worse.

I'm personally of the opinion that if you have to choose, just getting a high refresh monitor is going to be the vast majority of the upgrade value- Like it's going to be fine and still quite good to use a freesync screen that does 144hz with an nvidia card. *Sync itself isn't worth so much that it should push you to either get a much worse video card, or buy a monitor more expensive than what you want to spend.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Really not regretting my 1070 and X34 purchase right now, although the 1080ti is crazy fast based on some of the benchmarks posted in the last few pages. I don't remember it being that much faster than the 1070 at launch.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Dislike button posted:

Really not regretting my 1070 and X34 purchase right now, although the 1080ti is crazy fast based on some of the benchmarks posted in the last few pages. I don't remember it being that much faster than the 1070 at launch.

I went 1070 to 1080ti and it is a whooollleee new world in every way possible. ULMB locked at 120hz at 2k almost every title right now is a very warm feeling.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

1070 being still inexplicably inflated is the reason why the 1080ti is the best value for money by miles

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
gently caress it, I spent the evening driving to Microcenter and I now own an X34.

Trip report: tentatively seems stable at 100 Hz but I lost the backlight bleed lottery hardcore. In loading screens and stuff it's actually visible without a camera as a brown bleed in the top right and bottom left corners. It's not visible once you're in game thankfully.

Strongly considering exchanging it on Monday.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Amazon is currently selling the Gigabyte Vega 64 Black for $599.99 and it's in stock, get it while it's hot https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N1JN4F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's no limit on order quantity, kind of want to buy 10 to try and resell them

Edit: woosh, that's it. Now they're shipping on the 24th

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 18, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

gently caress it, I spent the evening driving to Microcenter and I now own an X34.

Trip report: tentatively seems stable at 100 Hz but I lost the backlight bleed lottery hardcore. In loading screens and stuff it's actually visible without a camera as a brown bleed in the top right and bottom left corners. It's not visible once you're in game thankfully.

Strongly considering exchanging it on Monday.

Id exchange it personally but, and I'm sure you know this, you can get used to a lot. I've been between IPS and TN twice now recently and wow the first week is jarring but its smooth sailing afterwards - within reason.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

1070 being still inexplicably inflated is the reason why the 1080ti is the best value for money by miles

Isn't the 1080 still a decent price also?

I'm considering what to get - I have a Acer Predator X271HU, so had been looking at the 1080.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Amazon is currently selling the Gigabyte Vega 64 Black for $599.99 and it's in stock, get it while it's hot https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N1JN4F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's no limit on order quantity, kind of want to buy 10 to try and resell them

I think this should shatter any doubt that the $599 price is here to stay, considering amazon first party is doing it.

Also nobody loving buy a Vega for that price for the love of god. Reselling them to r/AMD idiots is the only acceptable reason.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BurritoJustice posted:

I think this should shatter any doubt that the $599 price is here to stay, considering amazon first party is doing it.

Also nobody loving buy a Vega for that price for the love of god. Reselling them to r/AMD idiots is the only acceptable reason.

and thats only the reference price. To the moon!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 18, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Lol you bought ten? Hope you can return them if you can't flip them.

I can't believe AMD put that thing out when this is in stock for $130 more: https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-Optimized-Interlaced-Graphics-11G-P4-6393-KR/dp/B06Y11DFZ3

It's only like 50-90% faster and more power efficiency for 18% more money, no big deal.

Edit: Like, here is a game and resolution that would actually matter to me, 1080ti is almost double the Vega 64 framerate.... BEFORE overclocking:

Edit 2: Jesus ignorients, change "img" to "timg" in your tag.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 18, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Essentially AMD has given up their enforcement mechanism for MSRP pricing and also priced the GPUs themselves high enough that the MSRP pricing was never feasible for anyone in the AIB to retailer chain in the first place.

But hey, it got them some favorable day one reviews! :thumbsup:

Again, this is the same poo poo they did with the RX480 at $200/250 (4G/8G). They basically sold through a limited number at that price and then they never restocked at that price, but they did have three months one month of hype about 980 Power for $250 which is all that mattered.

I wonder who paid for the "4GB" models being 8GB cards with half the memory disabled at the BIOS: AMD or Sapphire XFX etc?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Craptacular! posted:

Again, this is the same poo poo they did with the RX480 at $200/250 (4G/8G). They basically sold through a limited number at that price and then they never restocked at that price, but they did have three months one month of hype about 980 Power for $250 which is all that mattered.

I wonder who paid for the "4GB" models being 8GB cards with half the memory disabled at the BIOS: AMD or Sapphire XFX etc?

When cards are sold above MSRP when ample supply meets extreme demand = Ngreedia.

When vaporware cards are sold at bait-and-switch shenanigans and more than a year late = AMD is the savior of PC gaming.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like you can still buy nvidia cards if you use stock trackers. Sometimes they are up for a whole 10 minutes and they frequently restock. Bots get a few im sure but you can tell they are restocking in amounts more than 20 GPUS

I have been trying to get an rx 580 for 2 months and I just gave up because I cant beat the bots wiping out what seems to be the whole inventory of 5 GPUs

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

Unless there's a feature that gets turned on that suddenly doubles Vega's mining performance, I literally don't even see how they can sustain $600+ for Vega 64. That Amazon listing has been up for close to 2 hours and it's showing no signs of being out of stock. Newegg has bundles that have been in-stock since they were listed.

For perspective, GN was reporting that Newegg only got ~160 units to sell (80 for bundles, less than that as standalone), which seems preposterously low. OCUK supposedly got 1k units, which seems possibly high. But either way the "16k units at launch" rumor sounds about right.

So the fact that these aren't instantly sold out shows there isn't even a minimal level of demand at $600+ for these. Again, it seems like the price should plummet like a rock here. After all, tapeout is the expensive part, production is cheap. AMD's shareholders may not like the margin but a little bit of profit is better than no profit at all.

edit: Newegg just listed Vega 64 Air with the coupon bundles for $700 and Vega 64 Liquid bundles for $800. So yeah, it's not even just "you can't get the standalone cards", it's a flat-out $100 price increase across the board.

double edit: by the way, if you believe their inventory system, my local Microcenter has sold six Acer X34 monitors this week. Guess I'm not the only one parking my cash in an overpriced monitor instead of an overpriced GPU. :v:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 18, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SourKraut posted:

Isn't the 1080 still a decent price also?

I'm considering what to get - I have a Acer Predator X271HU, so had been looking at the 1080.

Yeah, he's wrong. The 1080 non-ti is the best value for your money right now.

eames
May 9, 2009

Could somebody give me a quick TLDR what happened between the Vega FE launch and now?
From what I can tell it delivers performance comparable to 1070/1080 at hilariously worse efficiency and comparable/higher price points, I don't understand why people are getting so worked up about a product that was always looked like it'll be mediocre at best.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What happened is AMD began experimenting with "console launch" style bundling, giving retailers cards and telling them to only sell them with games. When Newegg has high end AMD cards in stock for a full day, less than a week after mining-focused driver launched, something is wrong. When early adopters get clearance prices and the people behind them get gouged, someone is loving up.

However, all this poo poo surrounds Vega 64, with air and liquid being bumped up $100. We have no idea what if any of this means for Vega 56, which looked like the only card that will be bought by normal people who are not prone to refer to company presidents by their first name.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Judging by how hosed their margins have to be with regards to HBM2 stacks etc., I'm assuming AMD has the same pricing scheme planned for the Vega 56, and unless there's a huge outcry I expect them to go through with it. People will buy their "slightly beats GTX 1070 with 40% higher TDP and same/lower price!" red team card for $400 for two days before the only stock left is $500 cards with game bundles worth :20bux:, and then buttcoin miners get in.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

People are going to start wondering how awesome Navi is going to be anytime... soon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
With all these bundles and price increases, I feel bad for one of the markets AMD was really talking up: people who had already bought a monitor with Freesync and were looking to upgrade. A guy like that just popped up in the system-building thread and it's really sad to go "no the card you waited forever for isn't good :( and even if it was you couldn't get it without buying a whole second monitor." A lot of people seemed to be planning on waiting for Vega to upgrade for a GPU to drive their fancy screen, and that's not gonna happen.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

People are going to start wondering how awesome Navi is going to be anytime... soon.

This thread has been looking forward to NAVI for the last 3-4 months, because we saw how screwed vega was.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Arivia posted:

With all these bundles and price increases, I feel bad for one of the markets AMD was really talking up: people who had already bought a monitor with Freesync and were looking to upgrade. A guy like that just popped up in the system-building thread and it's really sad to go "no the card you waited forever for isn't good :( and even if it was you couldn't get it without buying a whole second monitor." A lot of people seemed to be planning on waiting for Vega to upgrade for a GPU to drive their fancy screen, and that's not gonna happen.

*raises hand* Basically waiting for Volta, because for what I play a theoretical 1170 or 2070 will just drive 1440p144Hz at VH for 90% of cases. I really don't want Vega to burn AMD, but do want RTG to face consequences for this poo poo. They really should have never released Vega to the consumer market, or at the very least subsidized the consumer MSRP with Professional, Workstation and HPC sales.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do we know when in September and at what event Nvidia is going to introduce Volta?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So it seems like the leaked Swedish pricing on Vega was right afterall.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ufarn posted:

Do we know when in September and at what event Nvidia is going to introduce Volta?

I don't think Volta is getting released this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SourKraut posted:

I don't think Volta is getting released this year?

Yeah, not this year and I kind of expect it either in March or in June, leaning March. The issue with June is that if AMD is indeed taping out Navi on 7nm in like, October/November and it it's not a horrorshow, the process advantage alone could make the competitive and they'd be able to do a holiday release. So if Nvidia waits too long AMD could theoretically get a bunch of people to wait on purchasing Volta. Releasing in March avoids this entirely. Having the process advantage would be a no joke way for AMD to match Nvidia even now with Vega, as there is something like a 60% reduction in power at similar performance as 14nm, so Vega would sit ~160W average and 200W max overclock. Basically the later Nvidia releases Volta, the more AMD is likely to fully recover from Polaris/Vega and f Nvidia is interested in cornering the market they'll keep kicking AMD while they're down until they stop twitching. IIRC, Nvidia isn't planning a release on 7nm until late 2019, that's a lot of time.

Keep in mind AMD has canceled any future planes for Vega and NCU, they did this in like very late May or June IIRC, as there were plans originally for moving Vega to 7nm that were circulated around in 2016, this probably prior to figuring out how much of a horrorshow Vega was. Navi is likely to simply be that much better, so I'm guessing AMD is going to give Vega one more respin on 14nm for early 2018 (Vega 11 and 12, they won't bother with Vega 10) to deal with Volta, and then it'd be onward to Navi for very late 2018/early 2019. Vega 10 will get shuttered off to exclusively Server/Workstation/HPC until it's replaced mid 2019.