Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lesnar orton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

all we wanted was an f5 into rko spot and instead they had lesnar bust open orton's head hardway with elbows and it was gross and we didn't even get that loving spot

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gaz-L posted:

I'm still mad he let Kendrick give him the Burning Hammer in the CWC AND IT WAS FOR A loving NEARFALL!

The only person allowed to use burning hammers and have opponents get up is Wolf Hawkfield

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

Eh gap isn't as big as it was in the past. Especially since they run more big singles matches.

we also don't know the full extent of it like we do that style since it's still escalating and none of those guys are that far into their main event careers yet

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay what's this in reference to? I've completely forgotten whatever this was if I ever saw it.

randy orton getting his head caved in at the last summer slam by brock

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

we also don't know the full extent of it like we do that style since it's still escalating and none of those guys are that far into their main event careers yet

Tanahashi's 40 and Nakamura is old enough to be a former NXT champion who now takes naps through singles matches.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

Tanahashi's 40 and Nakamura is old enough to be a former NXT champion who now takes naps through singles matches.

i assumed we were talking about the omega/okada/ibushi/naito style more than the tanahashi/nakamura style which was more reined in, especially tanahashi

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I remember Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon being absolutely loving fantastic. What happened to their WWF run?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

titties posted:

I remember Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon being absolutely loving fantastic. What happened to their WWF run?

They had a decent run considering how bad the WWE tag scene was in 97

But what kind of ended it was when they were badly hurt in a car crash (Sid Vicious was driving) which put them on the shelf and they asked for their releases.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

titties posted:

It didn't help Doug's body was pretty much shot and they didn't really get a push.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is this story legit?
http://whatculture.com/wwe/20-most-infamous-real-life-wrestling-fights-of-all-time?page=6

quote:

During a TNA tour of England in January 2016, years of bad blood between Awesome Kong and Matt Hardy'€™s wife Reby Sky came to a head.

The pair were supposed to share a dressing room at the Manchester Evening News Arena (usually they would be kept apart) and Kong was not happy about it. When she saw Sky'€™s bag (as well as Hardy€™'s and their baby€™'s) she grabbed them and threw them out of the room.

A heated argument ensued, Sky yelling that she refused to be bullied. Kong dived at Sky and rammed her into a wall, before choking her out, right in front of her baby son. The TNA security team and producers broke up the attack and sent Kong on the next flight out of England. A couple of days later, she was fired.

I heard a lot of praise for Kong and I just watched a shoot interview with her and she seemed cool. But holy poo poo, this is a bit more than the usual stories of someone threw a punch and a little scuffle. Choking someone in front of their baby son is...yeah.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 17, 2017

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Kong is very, very nice unless you get her angry. Then she sees red mist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reby Hardy seems loving unbearable so if that happened I assume there was some build up.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Babies can't remember stuff that young anyway so it's all good.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That would also be during Kong's second TNA run that is characterized by extreme depression following the loss of her stillborn child.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How many times did Seth and Dolph attempt to cash in but ultimately not do it?

And I guess any other noteworthy he-almost-cashed-in-but-then-he-didn't moments. After Baron Corbin's boo-boo, I'm suddenly really into MitB cash-in strategy.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think Umaga attacked Punk when he tried to cash in for a while

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Del Rio tried to do it after Punk beat Cena for the title.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

VJeff posted:

And I guess any other noteworthy he-almost-cashed-in-but-then-he-didn't moments. After Baron Corbin's boo-boo, I'm suddenly really into MitB cash-in strategy.

I remember Jack Swagger teasing cashing in on Raw when Cena was champ but getting chased off then cashing in on Jericho the next night on SmackDown (Friday night on TV).

Always thought having one briefcase for both brands was cool because it made cash-ins more random

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dean Ambrose playing spoiler to Rollins was really what made me think he could be a big star and is also coincidentally the last time I really liked him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

Seth tried cashing in 1 time before he used it at WM

Seth won MITB and later that night Cena won Bryan's vacated title.
At Battleground Ambrose chased Rollins out of the building, so he wasn't around to cash in after the ME.
At Summerslam, Lesnar squashed Cena, and Rollins didn't cash in.
Rollins attempted to cash in during the ME of NOC, first causing a disqualification leading to Cena beating Brock, but the cash in match was waved off before the bell rang so it didn't count.
Then Brock went and disappeared off TV until Royal Rumble.
HHH and Stephanie took a month long vacation that led to Cena and Rollins being declared #1 contenders for a match against Brock at the Rumble. (Not a cash in)
Brock pinned Rollins at Rumble
No Brock at Fast Lane
Rollins cashes in at WM for the title

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
How was Jim Cornette when he had the book?

Post-territories it was basically OVW and plateau-era ROH, right? I assume we're not talking Russo levels of disaster here, but was it general chaos or pretty decent?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It was acceptable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He was a big part of the very well-booked 1997 WWF year. IIRC the quality dropped off when he left creative in the winter.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 18, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Paracaidas posted:

How was Jim Cornette when he had the book?

Post-territories it was basically OVW and plateau-era ROH, right? I assume we're not talking Russo levels of disaster here, but was it general chaos or pretty decent?

He was on creative in WWE in 96-97 and part of the Hart Foundation angle. His OVW run was good. Much better than the awful Heyman stuff that followed.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

schweens posted:

Always thought having one briefcase for both brands was cool because it made cash-ins more random

I wish they'd do this again, just so they could swerve the smarks by cashing in on the NXT title at a Takeover or something

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

I wish they'd do this again, just so they could swerve the smarks by cashing in on the NXT title at a Takeover or something

SWERVE: You are back to making your downside guarantee while wrestling in front of 300 people!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought about asking this in the WWE thread but that's only part of what I want to ask so I'll stick it here instead.

I never watched ECW back in the day. It had some crazy fans from what I saw online back when I started posting on wrestling forums. I always heard it was the nWo and WCW that jump started North American prowrestling but ECW fans would come out of the woodwork to say no it was them. Some of the stuff I've heard about Heyman is rather unpleasant, too. Also Cane Dewey.

But forgetting all that, it was an important part of wrestling history and catapulted some careers. Specifically, I always liked what I saw of Raven yet neither WCW nor WWE really seemed to use him as well as I heard. I want to see more of him at his peak.

And the questions at last. Firstly, I was thinking of using the lovely WWE Network to watch some old ECW stuff but I was told the Network edited and butchered the material. How accurate is this?

Secondly, is it worth it? Does ECW hold up?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think it seems horribly dated now, especially if you're squeamish about guys taking unprotected head shots from chairs and other weapons

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's very much "of it's time". If you can accept a lot of the stuff that comes with watching "edgy" media produced dead in the middle of the 1990s then you'll find some good stuff, although most people will say that the really good stuff was on the TV shows as opposed to the PPVs.

When I say "of it's time" I mean there's some stuff that's pretty drat grisly and some stuff that's frankly uncomfortable to watch (if you've ever wanted to see several hundred people chant YOU'RE A human being at somebody, that will happen). There's a match on one of the better shows where someone does a sliding baseball kick through a puddle of blood into someones face.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Easiest way to watch peak ECW is to watch Hardcore TV from January 1995 through April 1997 and then watch Barely Legal

The Network versions of Hardcore TV have a lot of music overdubs, but they're watchable

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah , also have to keep in mind that a big part of it was the music. They were the only ones using licensed songs as opposed to generic poo poo and it actually added a lot to the overall feel. Nowadays...well, for example you're gonna get Sandman doing his entrance to generic poo poo instead of the crowd going berserk to Enter Sandman if you're watching the Network versions, the effect is lost.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought about asking this in the WWE thread but that's only part of what I want to ask so I'll stick it here instead.

I never watched ECW back in the day. It had some crazy fans from what I saw online back when I started posting on wrestling forums. I always heard it was the nWo and WCW that jump started North American prowrestling but ECW fans would come out of the woodwork to say no it was them. Some of the stuff I've heard about Heyman is rather unpleasant, too. Also Cane Dewey.

But forgetting all that, it was an important part of wrestling history and catapulted some careers. Specifically, I always liked what I saw of Raven yet neither WCW nor WWE really seemed to use him as well as I heard. I want to see more of him at his peak.

And the questions at last. Firstly, I was thinking of using the lovely WWE Network to watch some old ECW stuff but I was told the Network edited and butchered the material. How accurate is this?

Speaking as someone who only watched ecw after the fact, it loving sucks.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah , also have to keep in mind that a big part of it was the music. They were the only ones using licensed songs as opposed to generic poo poo and it actually added a lot to the overall feel. Nowadays...well, for example you're gonna get Sandman doing his entrance to generic poo poo instead of the crowd going berserk to Enter Sandman if you're watching the Network versions, the effect is lost.
"licensed"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
counterpoint: ECW hired a lot of talented people that were being underused/neglected by WCW/WWF. Steve Austin, Foley, Jericho, Dean Malenko, etc. Matches involving them will be good. I remember seeing a series of matches between Tajiri and Super Crazy every week for a while that were great.

If you use the fast foward button liberally you'll find some gems but ecw itself was not very good.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
ECW was a great idea tank for WCW and WWF to pluck from, but in itself had very few *great* matches, and doesn't hold up nearly as well as you think it does 20 years later. I've been watching a lot of old CZW, FMW, and IWA Mid-South. ECW might have been the innovator but sure weren't the best at what they did.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ECW is worth watching for the crazy weekly booking from about 95 to 97 when Paul ran out of ideas. ECW kind of actually sucks in the PPV era.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

Hitting people in the head with chairs does not hold up well. Bloody brawls weren't good even at the time. But Tajiri/Super Crazy holds up. RVD/Lynn holds up. My favorite year of ECW was actually 1999. RVD at his peak. Jerry Lynn. Lance Storm. Tajiri. Super Crazy. Little Guido. Dudley Boys being great heels and trying to cause riots with their promos.

I recommend watching Barely Legal 97, Heatwave 98, Living Dangerously 99, Hardcore Heaven 99, Heatwave 99, Anarchy Rules 99

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

some guy on the bus posted:

Hitting people in the head with chairs does not hold up well. Bloody brawls weren't good even at the time. But Tajiri/Super Crazy holds up. RVD/Lynn holds up. My favorite year of ECW was actually 1999. RVD at his peak. Jerry Lynn. Lance Storm. Tajiri. Super Crazy. Little Guido. Dudley Boys being great heels and trying to cause riots with their promos.

I recommend watching Barely Legal 97, Heatwave 98, Living Dangerously 99, Hardcore Heaven 99, Heatwave 99, Anarchy Rules 99
Some of ECW's best matches were Mysterio Jr/Psicosis or Tanaka/Awesome which were both really popular feuds before ever hitting ECW. I'd go as far as saying that Sabu vs Terry Funk in a barbed wire match was ECW's only good gimmick match.

Tanaka/Awesome matches are really hard to go back and watch for a lot of people though because of the unsafe chair shots to the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RealFoxy posted:

Tanaka/Awesome matches are really hard to go back and watch for a lot of people though because of the unsafe chair shots to the head.

Well, that and, you know, Awesome killing himself by hanging a few years later.