Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny Quest posted:

It's way outside your budget (and possibly size), and we've gotten sidetracked by ratchet chat, but if you want to be the tire king get one of these: Astro 3018. I put that sucker on my air compressor and hit every tire I can find. It's just so easy to fill and giggle at how you're not constantly playing the inflate/test/inflate/test/inflate/test/bleed game anymore.

drat, necromancer... that's a p sweet air chuck. I ended up ditching my ancient, POS compressor for a Viair 88P 12v pump and a JACO ElitePro Tire Pressure Gauge. The pump isn't fast but it fits on a toolbag with my M18 impact so I've got a pretty good roadside service setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Is this a good deal? free shipping, the 3/8th brushless fuel impact, m12/m18 charger and 2 5.0 batteries.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Moderate deal. Around the holidays I've seen nice brushless impacts with a battery or two going for $150 and sometimes even $100. If you have to buy now that's not bad though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

crutt posted:

Is this a good deal? free shipping, the 3/8th brushless fuel impact, m12/m18 charger and 2 5.0 batteries.

I paid that for the M18 1/4" hex driver AND drill w/ 2 batteries and charger.

Edit:
Apparently it is decent. According to camel camel camel the lowest amazon has offered that particular set is:

and for the 1/2" 2755-22:

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 13, 2017

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
also bear in mind I have no Milwaukee tools or batteries, I'm trying to get away from my broken ryobi crap.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
IMO go for half inch for impact wrench

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

BraveUlysses posted:

I was planning on using the 3/8th impact on the majority of the fasteners when I take apart my 5.3 this fall. I think a 1/2" would be overkill for most underhood stuff (excepting crank bolt). I do plan on getting the 1/2" as well, just not right away. I was just going to use an impact driver to help take it apart faster but I dont think some of the larger bolts would budge.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

crutt posted:

I was planning on using the 3/8th impact on the majority of the fasteners when I take apart my 5.3 this fall. I think a 1/2" would be overkill for most underhood stuff (excepting crank bolt). I do plan on getting the 1/2" as well, just not right away. I was just going to use an impact driver to help take it apart faster but I dont think some of the larger bolts would budge.
I agree with this thinking.

Krakkles posted:

I have the M12 3/8" impact and love it. It does most things on vehicles - seatbelt bolts, lugnuts, even some suspension bolts. It won't touch a crank pulley, but you really need the 1/2" M18 for those.

It's also a lot smaller and lighter than the M18, which means it gets used more, and my original reason for buying it was speed over the M18, which is not insignificantly increased.

Also:

CarForumPoster posted:

and for the 1/2" 2755-22:
Don't buy this one. It has hilariously less torque than the high power model (~210 vs 725 the new one is actually 1000), so I can't see how it makes sense over the 3/8".

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 14, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's the same size as the 3/8" M18 so if you have a bunch of 1/2" impact sockets already but want something more compact than the beastly 1/2" it might make sense. I kinda wish I'd gotten that one instead of the 3/8" for that reason.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes.

Krakkles posted:

Don't buy this one. It has hilariously less torque than the high power model (~210 vs 725 the new one is actually 1000), so I can't see how it makes sense over the 3/8".

2763-22 or GTFO. I don't see the need for a 3/8" gun after buying a 1/2". For giving up 900ft-lbs they're not that much smaller, and I've generally been able to get a socket on anything that needed persuasion. 900 TORQUES! I do want a hex driver for light duty work in confined spaces though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

gently caress me... I paid $649 for the M18 Brushless drill, Surge hydraulic 1/4" impact driver, M12/18 rapid charger and 2x 5.0AH batteries here in Aus, ON SALE!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
As the slack crew knows, I've been loving around with 3D printing various holders for various handtools.

Pretty happy with the results and the fact that I'm getting more and more familiar with Fusion 360 as I go along. The cost/benefit ratio is atrocious, but I find organising very therapeutic...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That's cool. How's oil/fluid resistance?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have absolutely fuckall idea, but you're making me remember that I have both some engine oil and some scrap prints that need to be thrown out... :getin:

It's PLA, if that helps.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's cool. How's oil/fluid resistance?

Should be fine with ABS, PLA, PETG, TPU... the popular printable plastics.

I ought to do something similar. I'm wasting an entire drawer using the trimmed-down blister pack for my gearwrench set as storage.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

I ought to do something similar. I'm wasting an entire drawer using the trimmed-down blister pack for my gearwrench set as storage.

loserkid418 got you covered.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

monsterzero posted:

2763-22 or GTFO. I don't see the need for a 3/8" gun after buying a 1/2". For giving up 900ft-lbs they're not that much smaller, and I've generally been able to get a socket on anything that needed persuasion. 900 TORQUES! I do want a hex driver for light duty work in confined spaces though.

powderific posted:

It's the same size as the 3/8" M18 so if you have a bunch of 1/2" impact sockets already but want something more compact than the beastly 1/2" it might make sense. I kinda wish I'd gotten that one instead of the 3/8" for that reason.

http://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-mid-torque-impact-wrenches/

Mid torque impact is rated 450/600 ft/lbs. The high torque wrench is too damned huge to use all the time and the compact is light but lacks power on stubborn suspension bits. I have all three now and they're all handy but if I was to do it all over again I'd just get the mid and a nice breaker bar.

The cordless ratchets are great too, I use mine all the time and the new ones have more power

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 14, 2017

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Same website that had the 3/8th impact had the 2763-22 kit priced at 149.99, it even has the batteries in the description. it's probably just the gun (2763-20)and a misprint, but it's a decent deal for the gun by itself. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

bolind posted:

As the slack crew knows, I've been loving around with 3D printing various holders for various handtools.

Pretty happy with the results and the fact that I'm getting more and more familiar with Fusion 360 as I go along. The cost/benefit ratio is atrocious, but I find organising very therapeutic...

:swoon:

I want these so, so badly.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oh dang, I don't know if they had the mid torque when I got mine but that looks perfect. Oh well.

I love my cordless ratchet, though I did manage to break part of it cranking on something and had to wait for the piece to get shipped in.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My Original Prusa just arrived today... Thanks for the inspiration, bolind!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

http://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-m18-fuel-mid-torque-impact-wrenches/

Mid torque impact is rated 450/600 ft/lbs. The high torque wrench is too damned huge to use all the time and the compact is light but lacks power on stubborn suspension bits. I have all three now and they're all handy but if I was to do it all over again I'd just get the mid and a nice breaker bar.

The cordless ratchets are great too, I use mine all the time and the new ones have more power

Aahh! I didn't know about these. My older M12 3/8 ratchet is one of my favorite tools ever. I have really bad wrists and it saves a ton of strain.

e: looks like the release for the ratchets is late this year. I'll definitely be getting a 1/4, and probably a 3/8 if the specs are a big change.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 14, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

HandlingByJebus posted:

:swoon:

I want these so, so badly.

The model is parameterized so I can make it available to you, and you can have your own printed?

CloFan posted:

My Original Prusa just arrived today... Thanks for the inspiration, bolind!

Same offer goes for you. Like I said, the models are made in Fusion 360.

http://a360.co/2fG9ou6
http://a360.co/2fGW20B
http://a360.co/2hDicBs

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
For whatever reason I posted on the DIY Tool thread and not on this one. Oops.

Any suggestions for babby's first torque wrench that'll see most use on the car?

Forums user canyoneer recommended this one but I want to check the goon hive mind.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cigaw posted:

For whatever reason I posted on the DIY Tool thread and not on this one. Oops.

Any suggestions for babby's first torque wrench that'll see most use on the car?

Forums user canyoneer recommended this one but I want to check the goon hive mind.

The harbor freight one is pretty usually recommended I think, unless you're a serious pro.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
To me it seems like a lot of torque wrenches are almost the same design. They used to be $100+ at the very least, but you can get good ones for close to half that these days, and a cheap one for, like, $20.

I would check garage journal and consider use case. Are you rebuilding an engine or are you torquing your lug nuts?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Unless you're paying AU$200 (us$100+?) they're all pretty much the same. HF, ampro, whatever chinese brand.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wasabi the J posted:

The harbor freight one is pretty usually recommended I think, unless you're a serious pro.

I've got the HF 3/8" clicker because I needed a smaller one and it was like :10bux:. I can't speak for the accuracy of it, but I will say that the click is SUPER weak on lower settings on mine. Not sure if that's a symptom for all of them, but I can easily blow past the click if I'm not paying close attention. It seems a little better on higher torques. Used it to torque my ring gear (it's reversible!) and it was a decent click at 65 pounds. Down around 10-20? Ehh. Just something to be aware of.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the HF clickers are pretty vague on the lower ends. My 1/4" doesn't click so much as deflect at the 'threaded into aluminum' values that it gets used for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Last time I checked, HF’s clicky torque wrenches have 20–200 foot-pound range on quarter– and half-inch drive, but three-eighths gets 5–80.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I bought a 3/8ths digital craftsman to rebuild my engine, gonna try to compare it against my hf ones.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Platystemon posted:

Last time I checked, HF’s clicky torque wrenches have 20–200 foot-pound range on quarter– and half-inch drive, but three-eighths gets 5–80.
That's inch lbs on the 1/4" drive, so divide by 12 for ft lbs.

e: so roughly 1.7-17 ft lbs

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've got the HF 3/8" clicker because I needed a smaller one and it was like :10bux:. I can't speak for the accuracy of it, but I will say that the click is SUPER weak on lower settings on mine. Not sure if that's a symptom for all of them, but I can easily blow past the click if I'm not paying close attention. It seems a little better on higher torques. Used it to torque my ring gear (it's reversible!) and it was a decent click at 65 pounds. Down around 10-20? Ehh. Just something to be aware of.

Not just you. Its precisely why I've been driving around with a broken intake manifold bolt for 8 months. It ain't leakin, I ain't fixin it. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peepsalot posted:

That's inch lbs on the 1/4" drive, so divide by 12 for ft lbs.

e: so roughly 1.7-17 ft lbs

That makes more sense.

So 1⁄4″ is for bicycles, 1⁄2″ is for cars, and 3⁄8″ is for ???

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So it looks like people figured out that you can use welding goggles for the solar eclipse.
Amazon is sold out of tons of different models.

The sad part is, most of the ones I'm finding (sold out) are shade 5 not 10,12,13 or 14.
I the proper lens glass is still readily available (without the goggles) which leads me to believe that there's gonna be a lot of people going blind on monday.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The general rule with clicky wrenches is to not use them in the lower 20% range as they're really inaccurate. IIRC the Navy and lots of professional organizations have rules against it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

That makes more sense.

So 1⁄4″ is for bicycles, 1⁄2″ is for cars, and 3⁄8″ is for ???

I did the math and I think trikes?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The sad part is, most of the ones I'm finding (sold out) are shade 5 not 10,12,13 or 14.
I the proper lens glass is still readily available (without the goggles) which leads me to believe that there's gonna be a lot of people going blind on monday.

lomarf

mod sassinator posted:

The general rule with clicky wrenches is to not use them in the lower 20% range as they're really inaccurate. IIRC the Navy and lots of professional organizations have rules against it.

drat, I've never heard this. It makes sense but drat...wish I'd known that sooner.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman posted:

I did the math and I think trikes?

One of them mall cop chariots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Terrible Robot posted:

lomarf

drat, I've never heard this. It makes sense but drat...wish I'd known that sooner.

Yeah the other gotcha with clicky wrenches is to not store them wound up in a heavily loaded state OR unwound and with no load. Like for the HF 1/2" wrench that goes from 20-200 ft. lbs or so I keep it stored at 30-40 ft. lbs. If you store it at high load like 100 ft. lbs. it will deform the spring over time, and apparently if you store it with no load components can shift around and it loses accuracy. I wouldn't worry or lose sleep over it though if you've stored it like that in the past--very likely the stuff you're using it for, like lug nuts, etc., don't really need ultra precise torque. Tightening head bolts into an aluminum block.. ok maybe time to pull out the spendy torque wrench that matters and treat it with kid gloves.