Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Has there been any sets over the $500 mark before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DrChud posted:

Has there been any sets over the $500 mark before?

I think mindstorm education sets have topped 500. I vaguely remember an 800 dollar one.

MF is gonna be $600, I think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it the highest piece count?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Highest piece count star wars set. But not highest ever. Well, it's possible it is the highest ever. The "leaks" don't have the best grammar.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I think mindstorm education sets have topped 500. I vaguely remember an 800 dollar one.

MF is gonna be $600, I think.

Brickset lists the most expensive Mindstorms set at $350. I just saw the rereleased Death Star for around $550 at a Lego Store in NYC, but they admittedly jack up all the prices there because it's a "premium store" or some bullshit.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I only had time to get through part 3 before I had to go to work, but I'm already in love with the detail just in the groundwork, especially the waste drain. Also, my store (Northpark Dallas) apparently had distribution issues and only got the set about 1 hour before they opened, so they didn't have any built on display and only had 2 on the shelf. I and the only other family waiting for the store to open each got one, so it worked out, but I'm definitely glad I was there when they opened.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Duck of Death posted:

Brickset lists the most expensive Mindstorms set at $350. I just saw the rereleased Death Star for around $550 at a Lego Store in NYC, but they admittedly jack up all the prices there because it's a "premium store" or some bullshit.

probably because the rent is eleventy-bazillion dollars

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
From what I’m seeing and hearing, $800 seems pretty likely for MF. That’s in US$. Thinking at least 7500 pieces with a playable interior.

I have to skip the Ninjago City for now to save for the 14th early access.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
God. I'm glad star wars sets don't really scratch my Lego itch.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I can barely display my UCS Star Destroyer. As much as I want the Falcon, I have no idea where I would put it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How well would such a large set even stay together?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Scipiotik posted:

God. I'm glad star wars sets don't really scratch my Lego itch.

Same. I'm on record for my dislike of the sets. Star Wars toys are supposed to be made by Kenner. Lego space stuff is supposed to be full of Benny's.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Surely it won’t be much bigger than the last one. I’m in the “Death Star redux” camp. $600.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What if the set is actually two lower quality millennium falcons?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

How well would such a large set even stay together?

Gravity, I guess.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope it's just a box of large printed dishes.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope it's just a box of large printed dishes.

And Chewbaccas

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
3000 of the 5000 pieces are Jar Jars.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

parque bynch posted:

From what I’m seeing and hearing, $800 seems pretty likely for MF. That’s in US$. Thinking at least 7500 pieces with a playable interior.

I have to skip the Ninjago City for now to save for the 14th early access.

UCS Star Wars MF Playable Interior. Not the whole thing. Just part of the inside. No minifigs, but like the full size buildable action figure size characters for the inside. Nothing printed, but 200 pages of the 500 page manual are stickers.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
1200 light grey cheese wedges
800 light grey 1x2x1/3
100 light blue cheese wedges for the engine glow

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm not sure if they'd be able to do a playable interior, considering how much of the original UCS MF's interior was purely structural to support the size of the model, and how packed full of detail the interior is supposed to be.

edit: Oh, also there's this, which is 7,500 pieces and still doesn't have a full interior.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 17, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Zerf posted:

Oh, it's a special for newly registered VIPs, I thought everbody in this thread already had one :o:

Here's a link to it anyway: https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/VIPkeychain

Buying a thing anyways so figured i might register an account for my wife to get this thing, but theres this bit in the text:

Existing members with a VIP account that pre-dates June 2017 cannot sign up for a new account to be eligible for this offer. Violations will result in termination of all associated VIP accounts.

How nitpicky is this? Can i not sign my wife up for this, since she has the same address as me or just not sign up with my own name on a new email?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It might come into play online/phone but I really doubt they will shut you out in store. If they have availability you can probably sign up on the spot to get it. Or maybe not. I don't know, I don't work there. But in the past they seem to be on the side of don't be a dick to the customer.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Ineptitude posted:

Buying a thing anyways so figured i might register an account for my wife to get this thing, but theres this bit in the text:

Existing members with a VIP account that pre-dates June 2017 cannot sign up for a new account to be eligible for this offer. Violations will result in termination of all associated VIP accounts.

How nitpicky is this? Can i not sign my wife up for this, since she has the same address as me or just not sign up with my own name on a new email?

If you sign up so it looks like another person, and can prove that that person lives at your address, then I don't really see any problems with it.

That paragraph seems to be there as a buffer for people that create 10+ accounts to take advantage of some super-special deal. It's in Legos interest to get as many people to sign up for VIP as possible, so I don't think they'll terminate accounts without consideration. Signing up your wife is hardly abusing the system, especially if you use that account to order stuff as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can get a key chain? I never got anything when I signed up for VIP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMDlrM7NMLs

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jordanis posted:

I can barely display my UCS Star Destroyer. As much as I want the Falcon, I have no idea where I would put it.

Displaying my SSD is pretty difficult, that was $400USD/$700AUD (I had it reshipped from the us lol)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Lego shipping is crazy. I ordered the Ninjago building yesterday when I got a VIP email about it around 10am, and now I got an email that FedEx delivered it at 9:53am. Must be a distribution center nearby or something.

Now I gotta figure out a building-sized thing to store away in my office. I didn't realize how much taller this thing was than Assembly Square.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Electromax posted:

Lego shipping is crazy. I ordered the Ninjago building yesterday when I got a VIP email about it around 10am, and now I got an email that FedEx delivered it at 9:53am. Must be a distribution center nearby or something.

Now I gotta figure out a building-sized thing to store away in my office. I didn't realize how much taller this thing was than Assembly Square.

It's properly crazy how big it looks. I'm excited to get it soon.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes

Waltzing Along posted:

Highest piece count star wars set. But not highest ever. Well, it's possible it is the highest ever. The "leaks" don't have the best grammar.

Mailer says "The largest Lego set ever"

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

The_Doctor posted:

It's properly crazy how big it looks. I'm excited to get it soon.

This is the image that convinced me that it's too big for me to buy. It wouldn't fit on the shelf with my other modulars. Besides, I have to finish the MOC modular I stalled out halfway on.

edit:

psychosockmonkee posted:

The Taj Mahal is the highest piece count set ever made, but it uses a lot of really small elements. It has ~6000 pieces, but nearly 2000 are 1x1 elements.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 18, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

psychosockmonkee posted:

What mailer?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was just looking at some old sets and was reminded of how cool Lego Model Team was. They were pretty cool even by todays standards and they had way less parts to work with back then. Also, those chromed out parts are awesome I wish they still did that.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes

The Force Friday II Lego Store ad I got in the mail today.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

psychosockmonkee posted:

The Force Friday II Lego Store ad I got in the mail today.

Could I see a pic?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Decided to let loose and splurge a bit on lego today

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finished the first 2 parts of Ninjago City. Glad to have that done. Brutal. That was a lot of 1x2 plates. A lot.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I had a day off so I powered through Ninjago City. Wow, what a fantastic build. It never got old or tedious past laying the water tiles, and all the detail work is phenomenal. The build stays interesting throughout, especially the middle layers which sprawl out horizontally before climbing upward. I had a great time, the final model is gorgeous, and I highly recommend it.

Edit: here are just the spare parts afterward

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 18, 2017

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

veni veni veni posted:

Was just looking at some old sets and was reminded of how cool Lego Model Team was. They were pretty cool even by todays standards and they had way less parts to work with back then. Also, those chromed out parts are awesome I wish they still did that.

I really wish that they would re-issue some of those or possibly find a happy medium of detail between Model Team and Creator sets. There's one set in particular that I remember, a race semi. I'm not really into semis or race vehicles, but that set was bad-rear end.

E: NM. It wasn't any of the semis. It was Magic Flash.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Has anyone picked up any of the new Creator 3 in 1 modular sets? What exactly makes them modular?