Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

this article says that you're charged .50 the first time you set up an adult account. while that is absolutely lovely that's also significantly different than what you said

yeah, sorry, that's what I meant to convey, but I figured most people wouldn't be setting more than one per system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Sucker Punch are working on a sequel to Rocket: Robot on Wheels.

I'd buy it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Skeezy posted:

Sucker Punch are working on a sequel to Rocket: Robot on Wheels.

Please don't play with my heart like that :smith:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pyre is really good and I love it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the truth posted:

Gravity Rush 2 starts off more slowly than the first game, and the opening area is ugly to boot. Weird design decisions.

Not much changes. Expect to want to like it for the cool art direction and concept while battling how boring and clunky it is. Imo the first one was more enjoyable. I couldn't even finish 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gravity Rush 2 is so disappointing.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Oh?

I was looking forward to playing it soon.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sefal posted:

Oh?

I was looking forward to playing it soon.

It's got some good things, such as a fun photo mode and a some decent areas and fights, but I prefer the first game. They somehow made the camera worse, and the new powers are mostly useless. And you know how the first game got flack for not really having a story? Turns out having less story with lower stakes was a very good thing.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 18, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I thought Gravity Rush 2's story was so underwhelming and poorly done. It's like Keichiro Toyama had all these really dramatic anime set pieces in mind and did the bare minimum to justify having them.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Policenaut posted:

I thought Gravity Rush 2's story was so underwhelming and poorly done. It's like Keichiro Toyama had all these really dramatic anime set pieces in mind and did the bare minimum to justify having them.

The only decent story in the game was Raven's DLC IMHO.

Also, having Kat casually kill dozens people, bad guys or not, felt pretty out-of-character. Having the nice girl who only wants to help people grab soldiers and fling them to their doom (in story-related fights) was an odd choice to say the least. Not to mention pretty much anything that happens in the later parts of the game.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 18, 2017

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, i loved the first game but didn't even bother to finish GR2. It was just really tedious and controlled like dogshit for the bits where you needed to be precise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In another universe where it was a better game it would be entirely set in the floating skyscraper area, that was the only fun environment. Almost none of the missions took place there...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Yeah pretty much. It's full of all sorts of good ideas that completely stagnate when you actually have to play them and it feels like a chore.

I think the hardware limitations of the first one actually worked in GR's favor a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GR2 probably started out as a Vita game that got hastily switched over to PS4.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I find it so frustrating because the game looks beautiful but they did very little to fix the janky battle system from the original and instead just bolted on a couple new combat modes (which I thought were awkward and only ever used a couple times at the very end of the game) and a mostly useless equipment system. I never played the DLC because I was so fed up with it by the time I finished it, but that story was so full of holes and unsatisfying to me. It's just hard to imagine the guy who made SIREN did this.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Policenaut posted:

I find it so frustrating because the game looks beautiful but they did very little to fix the janky battle system from the original and instead just bolted on a couple new combat modes (which I thought were awkward and only ever used a couple times at the very end of the game) and a mostly useless equipment system. I never played the DLC because I was so fed up with it by the time I finished it, but that story was so full of holes and unsatisfying to me. It's just hard to imagine the guy who made SIREN did this.

Most of the DLC is like a walking simulator, with a couple neat boss fights bolted on at the end, but the story has a proper beginning, middle and end, which is more than you can say about the main game, which has three equally unsatisfying endings. It's also free and really short, and features the amazing GR2 version of Raven's theme, so give it a try if you have the opportunity.

Just to make it clear, the DLC has my second favorite boss fight in the series, so it's not just walking around. The bad guys are better than any of the ones in the main game.

EDIT: OK, I watched some videos and the walking around part is actually a pretty small part of the DLC. It felt a lot longer, though.

EDIT2:

New Monster Hunter World trailer. Looking pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqY6yXn2S4

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 18, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

God drat, that looks amazing. That's another one to my list for sure.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the one that's finally going to get me into that series in a serious way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The other trailer that shows the game flow looks amazing too. Thank God the next step in Monster Hunter is on consoles, been waiting since before PS3 even for it to come back for real!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

it's funny that the blog post doesn't mention that you're apparently going to be charged $0.50 for every adult account you make
A fee that symbolically small, to me, makes it pretty clear that it's most likely literally there as another security layer.

We all know how bad PSN security already is, so I don't see a problem with this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GR as a series needed to be more grounded (lol) in terms of story and do a traditional super hero plot. Instead its like a collection of rejected anime mysticism plot points and yeah the gameplay is no bueno.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Is the 5.0 firmware adding anything for the Pro if I don't give a gently caress about streaming?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Norns posted:

Is the 5.0 firmware adding anything for the Pro if I don't give a gently caress about streaming?
Yeah, the Pro gets the other listed updates too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Norns posted:

No, but it's not like there's any downside to installing it or ability to avoid doing so.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, the Pro gets the other listed updates too.

I meant pro exclusive features like boost mode that were kind a slipped in. But thanks

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So is Monster Hunter basically Horizon: Zero Down with less plot and the dinosaurs aren't robots?

Asking for a friend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monster Hunter is like an extremely grindy ARPG where you beat on big monsters for 10min and craft stuff with their body parts.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Monster Hunter is like an extremely grindy ARPG where you beat on big monsters for 10min and craft stuff with their body parts.

To iterate on this: there is no plot. You have to love the game play loop of killing things, wearing their skins, and killing larger things. The combat is meaty and satisfying (it's what got me into Dark Souls), so if you're the type of person who enjoys improving your own game play rather than seeing numbers shoot up or dramatic story arcs you could enjoy it.

Also, it's coop.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Be prepared to sink some time into Monster Hunter, it can take over your life very easily

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/yakuza-6-song-life-launches-march-20-americas-europe

I want that special edition

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/898441327825702912

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

On that note, friendly reminder that Yakuza Kiwami is out this month for only $30! Perfect jumping in point for the series as a remake of the original game if you skipped on Zero.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Also, if you skipped on Zero, get on that poo poo. It's probably the best game in the series to date, and it requires 0 knowledge of any of the other games to enjoy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm on an indie game rampage here with no end in sight. Finished Hellblade, I'll probably finish Observer today, Next up....? Undertale, Pyre, Sonic mania, or Tacoma (not PS4). I can't decide.

I'm leaning towards Undertale or Sonic Mania.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ufarn posted:

A fee that symbolically small, to me, makes it pretty clear that it's most likely literally there as another security layer.

We all know how bad PSN security already is, so I don't see a problem with this.

I know it's small, but isn't it relatively easy, as gas stations frequently do, to charge an initial hold just to verify the account funds and then revise it later? like is there a reason other than :10bux: that they can't just attempt a charge and then refund it after it goes through?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

veni veni veni posted:

I'm on an indie game rampage here with no end in sight. Finished Hellblade, I'll probably finish Observer today, Next up....? Undertale, Pyre, Sonic mania, or Tacoma (not PS4). I can't decide.

The massive hype and fandom surrounding Undertale can be off-putting, but occasionally I remember that there's a reason it's there. The game is full to the brim of great music, cute characters, inventive and clever gameplay, and it's bursting at the seams with good old-fashioned heart. It really is something. The first time I played it was an absolute blast, beginning to end.

Please don't let the fact that some poo poo rear end idiot gave a copy of it to the loving Pope put you off from enjoying what is genuinely a very good video game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, undertale is a lot of fun. I've heard it has a weird fandom, but what doesn't and who gives a poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

veni veni veni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSqr7U0t_Ao

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Even the standard edition comes with an art book, hell yea.

The bar glasses in the special edition are a pretty cool idea but I wouldn't trust them not to chip instantly lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

also ice stones suck