Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's strange that they wouldn't pick someone with a martial arts background. Even if they're dead set on Danny Rand being "generic white guy learns kung fu", there must surely be tons of generic white guy actors who already know more about martial arts. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Maybe something will happen to Danny and Colleen will take up the Iron Fist mantle.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
At least they've realised that Finn Jones really shines in his fight scenes when they're shot in dark, wet tunnels where someone else can sub in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's strange that they wouldn't pick someone with a martial arts background. Even if they're dead set on Danny Rand being "generic white guy learns kung fu", there must surely be tons of generic white guy actors who already know more about martial arts. :shrug:

From reading TVIV, Iron Fist had a lot of problems in production - things like they'd only give Jones fifteen minutes to practice the fight choreography before shooting.

Apparently the reason Jones got the job was that someone in Marvel sent the word out to a lot of agents that Iron Fist was a clusterfuck so a lot of actors actively stayed away from the role.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend any interesting books or articles about what goes on behind the scenes of a scripted TV programme?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cythereal posted:

From reading TVIV, Iron Fist had a lot of problems in production - things like they'd only give Jones fifteen minutes to practice the fight choreography before shooting.

Apparently the reason Jones got the job was that someone in Marvel sent the word out to a lot of agents that Iron Fist was a clusterfuck so a lot of actors actively stayed away from the role.

The rumors were Marvel was really trying to get out of having to do iron Fist at all because they didn't have much for it.

When you seemingly don't want to show the dragon or K'un-Lun you're pretty limited.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The rumors were Marvel was really trying to get out of having to do iron Fist at all because they didn't have much for it.

When you seemingly don't want to show the dragon or K'un-Lun you're pretty limited.

"We already have Iron Man, why would we want a guy who only has an iron hand?"

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

It seems less strange when you realize Scott Buck is a talentless hack who should never be given another tv show to develop.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

It seems less strange when you realize Scott Buck is a talentless hack who should never be given another tv show to develop.

Now now, it's not like Marvel's going to hand Scott another show. Certainly not a show where they partnered with a large theater and camera operator to try and drum up extra support.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
there's a certain pleasure to be found in watching one guy trash 2 Marvel properties in the space of a year

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So yeah, Finn Jones got a much better trainer for his Defenders fight scenes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
On episode 3 of Defenders right now and it's really solidifying why they should just put Danny and Luke together instead of giving them separate Season 2s. Luke, Danny, Colleen, Misty, and Claire is a fantastic team.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

So yeah, Finn Jones got a much better trainer and more than 2 minutes of practicefor his Defenders fight scenes.

Fixed that for ya.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/WhatRobinDoes/status/898638672798601217

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hear Chuck Norris is available...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So yeah, Finn Jones got a much better trainer for his Defenders fight scenes.

Maybe? That opening Defenders scene was pretty poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Maybe? That opening Defenders scene was pretty poo poo.

It gets better. Defenders just gets off to a slow start.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. The Hand are utterly incompetent as always and what a waste of Sigourney Weaver, but I enjoyed it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Watched the first two episodes, I'm digging it. That fight between Danny and Luke was great. I also really like the scene transitions, especially in the first episode, they tell you exactly which character you're jumping to.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The show is definitely way better than Iron Fist. Also the way the show treats Danny is great.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

catlord posted:

Watched the first two episodes, I'm digging it. That fight between Danny and Luke was great. I also really like the scene transitions, especially in the first episode, they tell you exactly which character you're jumping to.

Yes, as weird as it might be to get excited by them, the scene transitions in the first two episodes are great. I also really love how they shot a lot of the scenes with Matt by himself, using those off center framing, and the color in his apartment is great.

Plus, man I've missed Jessica Jones.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Four episodes in Defenders is real good. Saving the rest for the weekend.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

I hear Chuck Norris is available...

The irony is palpable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Four episodes in Defenders is real good. Saving the rest for the weekend.

I just wrapped up #5. It really is good tv. I feel like it's been years since we saw Matt Murdock.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm now kind of glad I never bothered with Iron Fist because it might have soured me on him and I like him just fine Defenders. I don't see a problem with the actor at all so it was probably just the material on that show. I love how full of himself he is and how nobody else is buying it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I'm now kind of glad I never bothered with Iron Fist because it might have soured me on him and I like him just fine Defenders. I don't see a problem with the actor at all so it was probably just the material on that show. I love how full of himself he is and how nobody else is buying it.

I enjoyed the bulk of the IF series but it wasn't without it's faults. I now lay every single problem at Scott Buck's feet because Finn is just excellent on Defenders.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm on episode 6 and I really like this crossover goodness. It's just so fun. I would almost trade the action for more scenes of all 4 of the Defenders just sitting and talking to each other.

Weird question: How do Stick and Matt and other blind people pick up on things like nodding? I dunno why it's tripping me out so hard, but Stick nods at one point and that makes no sense to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have no idea since Scott Glenn and Charlie Cox are actually blind in real life.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Guys defenders is really good. Will finish 6-8 tomorrow.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm on episode 6 and I really like this crossover goodness. It's just so fun. I would almost trade the action for more scenes of all 4 of the Defenders just sitting and talking to each other.

Weird question: How do Stick and Matt and other blind people pick up on things like nodding? I dunno why it's tripping me out so hard, but Stick nods at one point and that makes no sense to me.

Stick's basically magic and Matt has radar senses and can hear tiny movements.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Matt also wasn't born blind.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Only 4 eps in and I'm liking what I see. Only problem I have so far is that aside from Matt, it feels like all the characters have been in cryostasis and their lives have not moved forward at all since their shows ended. Like, oh, Jessica's still not picking up the phone and is still messed up! Danny is Hand-hunting and kinda angsty! (admittedly this is less of a problem since his is the most recent series to wrap and we can presume it hasn't been long in-universe since the end of IF) And Luke, despite having a good excuse for not doing much in the off-season, so to speak, goes right back to hunting Mariah and Shades practically the minute he steps off the bus back to NYC (and of course, Mariah and Shades are conveniently off the grid since they aren't this show's villains). It's like the show doesn't want to have too much character growth/plot advancement for anybody so they can be ready to have that growth in their own season 2s without worrying about having any other pesky Defenders around.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This was pretty much just IF S2 and DD S3

Jessica and Luke were only holding on with the most tenuous of threads.

This is just a continuation of DD and IF

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

My biggest complaint, if you want to call it that, is that you can totally tell they gave critics the first four episodes. The end of the fourth episode does so much loving buildup to end on a cliff hanger that you know it was done to try and sway critics to be pumped up for the back half.

I'm still digging the poo poo out of the show and it's doing a much better job w/Danny than Iron Fist though. The other side of that is, knowing the issues and all w/Iron Fist, this is dropping my expectations even further on the Inhumans, if that's even possible (same show runner, same rush job and similar production issues).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not really set all that long after the ends of most of the shows, to be honest. The Netflix shows only cover so much time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought it was a great 8 episode run. I had a lot of fun with it. Enough that I honestly want to immediately rewatch it. It wasn't incredible or game-changing, but it was entertaining. I keep circling around to fun.

My favorite part was watching Luke and Danny slowly become BFFs. Kinda curious to see what they do with the Luke/Jessica/Claire thing.

I'm remembering that Danny was briefly Daredevil in the comics. I suppose we'll be getting a bit of that which is awesome. I mean for whatever time we get it, I don't think anyone bought for a second that Daredevil would be gone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Defenders finale question my screen was dark as poo poo, did they imply Jessica was flying holding the elevator? Or was the "whoah" just them being impressed how strong she was?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I would say this show felt much more like DD season 3 than IF season 2.

Medullah posted:

Defenders finale question my screen was dark as poo poo, did they imply Jessica was flying holding the elevator? Or was the "whoah" just them being impressed how strong she was?

She was clinging to the same structure Luke and Danny climbed on to.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 19, 2017

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SonicRulez posted:

I thought it was a great 8 episode run. I had a lot of fun with it. Enough that I honestly want to immediately rewatch it. It wasn't incredible or game-changing, but it was entertaining. I keep circling around to fun.

I enjoyed that it was pretty much a straightforward adventure story and less emotional dramas compared to their individual shows. It seems like a pretty good idea to use the single character shows for slower and more in depth character development with personal stakes and make the group shows a bit lighter where you get to see characters you like bounce off each other and have adventures with more powerful but less personal threats. It was a fun eight hours. Due to the bad word of mouth I didn't get around to watching Iron Fist but I think Finn Jones worked perfectly fine here, in an over eager kid brother role. Colleen Wing was cool.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 19, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Danny works better in the context of Defenders, where he is not the center of attention and is surrounded by characters who are simply not (and have no reason to be) particularly impressed with him. He's actually nearly identical in portrayal in IF, but in his show he is the center of attention, Colleen is meant to be the inferior sidekick, and the only people that really put him in his proper place are bad guys. In his show, they push that you should be in awe of him or something, because he is the good guy with a super power and he means well, but in Defenders he is very quickly reality checked and no one puts up with his poo poo. Finn's work shined much brighter in Defenders because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, Colleen is easily my favorite supporting character in the Netflix-verse. Or perhaps adjacent to Frank since he doesn't have his own series yet. She has her flaws, but mostly she just wants to get poo poo done and beat people up. I can admire that.