Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Agile Vector posted:

and yet android is the biggest phone os

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

and yet android is the biggest phone os

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

pagancow posted:

That means they spent up to $30 billion dollars last year just unblocking ads.
There are like 4 major third party ad blockers out there. Are you asserting their owners are all multi-billionaires?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

not for long

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i turned off adblock on some poorly coded website a while back and suddenly it reloaded and replaced the white background with a gigantic animated colorful ad for fabric softener.

as a millennial, i would never buy fabric softener, even if i did want it, which i don't.

the ad noticeably slowed down scrolling on the page, which irritated me, and created a powerful enough association that now when i think of fabric softener i remember that ad (don't remember the brand! just the existence of the ad) and become angry, which reinforces my desire to not buy the loving stuff.

working as intended?

years ago when that guy was fired from gamespot for giving a sponsored game a bad review i went to look at the site to see what the big deal was and wondered what was wrong because i didn't see anything relating to the game. then i turned off adblock and suddenly every bit of the site from the background to the banners to the auto-play popover videos were ads for that lovely game. the web without adblockers is a truly horrible place.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bads

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah basically the major game sites are an extortion scheme

either the game companies pay them enough money, either in advertising or just straight payola or their games get less than 8.0 (aka the kiss of death)

when you get a reviewer that actually tries to evaluate the games objectively, they'll get ridden out on a rail if they don't quid the pro quo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

who gives a poo poo video game reviews are nothing more than advertising. advertising for children.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Is there a bored rich person who makes video game reviews I can trust for objectivity?

Any "professional games journalist" is getting paid peanuts and works for a near-bankrupt company whose only sponsors are the same companies they're covering.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Stymie posted:

either the game companies pay them enough money, either in advertising or just straight payola or their games get less than 8.0 (aka the kiss of death)

when you get a reviewer that actually tries to evaluate the games objectively, they'll get ridden out on a rail if they don't quid the pro quo

Didn't Electronic Gaming Monthly reguarly trash games? RIP print media.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

giant bomb mostly seems to be allowed to do their own thing, but being a small operation, they still mostly just cover the big releases

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i look at metacritic scores and user reviews, lol if you trust journalism in this day and age, especially for games

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

because user reviews full of "this is an sjw bullshit game" are way better than games "journalism"

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
which is why you read them. most upvoted user reviews aren't garbage political poo poo flinging. it doesn't take very long to gather what's wrong with a game

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I generally trust the opinions of my friends who have similar videogame interests to me or who are familiar with what kind of games I like.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
no see it's all about game journalism and that's why i think all women are whores and all minorities should be deported

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i block all the ads i don't even care

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

akadajet posted:

i block all the ads i don't even care

same. gently caress em.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i unblock networks that support the sites well and for sites i like :shobon:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stymie posted:

So would you say that, actually, it's about ethics in games journalism?

:allears:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agile Vector posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

the question is, are you ready for a world where the ad and content are indistinguishable from each other?

it amuses me that you believe you do not already live in this world

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schadenboner posted:

So would you say that, actually, it's about ethics in games journalism?

:allears:

at least for the big game sites, there never was any, it's just straight graft

and now we have a whole herd of boys who think the solution is by actively and aggressively hating women because it's the only method they see of controlling their clubhouse now that the games industry is so huge

it's further not a coincidence that most of them are computer touchers

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it amuses me that you believe you do not already live in this world

YouTube pr-roll with "advertisement" on it still exists

premium content TV channels still roll ads during commercial breaks even online.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
the dying gasps of an obsolete business model

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

pagancow posted:

YouTube pr-roll with "advertisement" on it still exists

premium content TV channels still roll ads during commercial breaks even online.

so they're pulling a hulu?

noticed amazon prime video does this too now, plugs stuff between shows

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you don't Adblock on mobile page sizes usually double at minimum, and thus correspondingly shred your battery life and your data plan.
the alternative is to turn off JS which makes things lightning fast but breaks like 40% of sites in some critical fashion.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jimmy Carter posted:

if you don't Adblock on mobile page sizes usually double at minimum, and thus correspondingly shred your battery life and your data plan.
the alternative is to turn off JS which makes things lightning fast but breaks like 40% of sites in some critical fashion.

gently caress a add

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Suspicious posted:

the dying gasps of an obsolete business model

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

i at one point did, but then i realized it is fundamentally dishonest since i don't buy the things advertised anyway, so just not seeing the ads gives the ad networks a more true representation of reality

internet advertising is such poo poo, the only things ads for things i could imagine buying i ever see are ads for the specific product i have just comparison-shopped and bought

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow et al. complain that ads support the content and such, but they only do that because of this massive long-game con that advertising agencies have pulled to convince other industries of their value. it's just phenomenal money transfers from corporations to the media for little actual benefit. strange.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

pagancow et al. complain that ads support the content and such, but they only do that because of this massive long-game con that advertising agencies have pulled to convince other industries of their value. it's just phenomenal money transfers from corporations to the media for little actual benefit. strange.

media production is one of the last bastions of good middle class blue collar union work in this country. whats the problem?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

I honestly think a lot of gamers want it this way. They want the system to tell them the poo poo they compulsively preorder is actually cool and good.

Seriously have you ever tried telling gamers "why don't you just stop preordering poo poo even though you've been burned?" Even people I consider reasonable fall back on "but you get such good deals on bonus content!"

It's an addiction to consumerism.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sagebrush posted:

lol websites have little value. got it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Seriously have you ever tried telling gamers "why don't you just stop preordering poo poo even though you've been burned?" Even people I consider reasonable fall back on "but you get such good deals on bonus content!"

i've never had this experience. it sounds like you're associating with the wrong people.

pagancow posted:

lol websites have little value. got it.

websites have lots of value. advertising doesn't -- it's only valuable because the industry says it is. i'm sure that, as an insider, you have a perspective that lets you see both the academic studies showing that advertising conversion rates are utterly abysmal, and the industry publications showing that wow actually advertising is the most best greatest way to spend your money everyone has to do it all the time or else and we're not in denial of anything!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 20, 2017

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I honestly think a lot of gamers want it this way. They want the system to tell them the poo poo they compulsively preorder is actually cool and good.

It's an addiction to consumerism.

nope it's marketing companies doing a good job of selling.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh no! a company tempted me to buy something hundreds of people worked hard on how dare they!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a company tricked them into buying a lovely product by lying about its quality. that's extremely effective advertising, granted, but it only works repeatedly on the terminally stupid (gamers).

no one else is going to keep pre-ordering products from the same company that burns them like that over and over again.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

media production is one of the last bastions of good middle class blue collar union work in this country. whats the problem?

government employment actually is probably the largest bastion tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress a ad

• Locked thread