Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Erenthal posted:

b-b-b-ut I thought they worked with a poo poo typographer to create a weird over designed bastardised form of Islamic calligraphy?!

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Derek is pitching another tantrum, someone jingle some keys to distract him

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:mad: Harmony Gold needs to either actually do something with the Robotech/Battletech rights or gently caress right off and let someone else take over. Jesus loving christ.

Somebody over in the MWO thread posted some neckbearded legal analysis of this whole thing, and it looks like maybe this is the time HG bit off more than they can chew.

Also lol at another Derek Avatar War. This is good for Star CitizenSomething Awful.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Isn't that what basically happened in the Division (perhaps I have the wrong game). Group of people fighting one terminal like a DMV gone wild.

Yeah, not the best design decision in the world to have a exclusive-use terminal in your starting area.

It was a bit of a shitshow in the instance I was in on launch day, but I also saw the stories of people orderly queuing up and awaiting their turn. That really warmed my heart :)

e: https://www.thumbsticks.com/the-division-queue-simulator-08032016/

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Beet Wagon posted:

Somebody over in the MWO thread posted some neckbearded legal analysis of this whole thing, and it looks like maybe this is the time HG bit off more than they can chew.
Could you throw me a link to it in PM? I'd like to read it after I wake up

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

Other… player…?

What do you think this is, some kind of online multiplayer game or — sillier still — an MMO? Pff.

Yeah. I mean, as soon as you start thinking about actual gameplay (like in a game, you know), this thing goes up in flames.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Isn't that what basically happened in the Division (perhaps I have the wrong game). Group of people fighting one terminal like a DMV gone wild.

But to answer your question...in real life if there were some kingpin of handing out space quests in some seedy bar, you would merely suck down a Hairy Roberts at the bar to pass the time and wait your turn.

"Now serving #68"

Better still, give him an office that instances you on the door and you have full control of the entire scene without the immersion breaking nude dancing guy. But I know nothing about scene development.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

doingitwrong posted:

Assuming the chart is honest, it clearly shows a disaster in progress. The great gulf of evidence between us and them is that we aren't convinced that the chart is telling the truth, and they aren't even able to interpret the chart they've been presented.

THE DREAM: :iiaca:

Bonus Cars Analogy: Shopkeeper animations are IN!

Seriously that dude on the far right at the start of this loop is the player character...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dante80 posted:

Yeah. I mean, as soon as you start thinking about actual gameplay (like in a game, you know), this thing goes up in flames.

Repetition on a theme is a classical stylistic device so…

Game… play…? What do you think this is, some kind of interactive movie or — sillier still — a game?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

big nipples big life posted:

No, I just pointed out ages ago that Derek Smart vs Star Citizen isn't about Star Citizen or some righteous crusade to help the poor, misinformed backers or even the most noble of goals, loling at idiots, it is about promoting Derek Smart because Derek Smart is self obsessed piece of poo poo.

So again.. Called It :smuggo:

Oh! Okay

He managed to guide people towards getting refunds. But he also managed to get an entire community to suspect his presence everywhere they look. So I guess I just need to ask this one question.

Need a signal booster?

tuo posted:

It would be boring without Derek, and I agree with him beeing the signal booster for the shitposts in here. Without him, the shitshow would be half as much fun as it is.

Agree with you on this. I'm not looking to topple anyone here. Derek serves a purpose. I'm invested into the comedy of this shitshow, and trying to demean the value of goons isn't really funny, it's just kinda sad. Especially because Derek is a goon now, and a pretty loving goony one at that. And especially when we have quality posters who also have an affect on the star citizen community. Infographics from gorf for example.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

Repetition on a theme is a classical stylistic device so…

Game… play…? What do you think this is, some kind of interactive movie or — sillier still — a game?

Yeah. I mean, as soon as you start thinking about this being a game (like..a game, you know), this thing goes up in flames.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dante80 posted:

Yeah. I mean, as soon as you start thinking about this being a game (like..a game, you know), this thing goes up in flames.

:golfclap:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

But to answer your question...in real life if there were some kingpin of handing out space quests in some seedy bar, you would merely suck down a Hairy Roberts at the bar to pass the time and wait your turn.

It was The Division

The problem was an overpopulated safe house with collision turned on between players. So players could bump and block one another. Eventually it got sorted out and people ended up in lines. https://www.polygon.com/2016/3/8/11180502/the-division-trolling

But it also ended in people trolling each other by blocking exit from the area.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=CBoIxNe3VIs

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 18, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

hes raising awareness, the most important activism strat

Precisely. And the fact that Shitizens and CIG made me their nemesis and bogeyman, is even more hilarious when you consider that they are the ones helping with most of the signal boosting self-owns.

XK posted:

Well, but, uh...

He's kind of got us.

You're also one of us, Derek. You're a Goon, and you ain't poo poo either. Don't forget it.

Just roll around in the mud and enjoy it.

Absolutely. And that's the thing, I don't forget it at all. Which is why when some fuckers start giving me poo poo, it just amuses me.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Are citizens actually excited about seeing the same cafeteria scene for 10 months on ATV?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

XK posted:

Derek was actually a pretty even handed mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsuuA7_uQ8U

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So 1 million Star Citizens are going to continuous hit up Eckhart for poo poo to do.

That poor fucker is going to be tired at the end of the day handing out quests.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Are citizens actually excited about seeing the same cafeteria scene for 10 months on ATV?

Yes.

What a silly question.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Could you throw me a link to it in PM? I'd like to read it after I wake up

It's a video, so good news! I PMed you a copy. It deals mostly with the HG v HBS lawsuit, but because it's all wrapped up together it basically involves :pgi: and Catalyst and Battletech in general.

Also lmbo at goons and Derek whining about each other. And whining about white noise in this, the Star Citizen thread.

Goons are Derek, and Derek is a goon. :justpost:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The frankly mentally ill focus on the cafeteria scene, mopping, jackets on shopkeepers and poo poo like that do reveal in blinding light just how small and unimaginative the brain behind this project is. Action, what is that? Did people really sign up to shoot things in space ships? Nah, they want to look at a guy mopping the floor in glorious mocap that cost tens of thousands of dollars to get in the game.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Derek - Time to put the baby into timeout!

*baby starves to death and begins to rot*

Goon - You know, he's a pretty even handed parent

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Miles Eckhart: Those are some sweet space pants you got there commando, I think you should only have to fetch me 9 space bear asses instead of the usual 10.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

doingitwrong posted:

But it also ended in people trolling each other by blocking exit from the area.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=CBoIxNe3VIs

In Star Citizen, this will be a bar full of naked bald men blocking your way with the mopping emote.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

quote:

Probably true, but it is still possible, with some poor coding, to get a mess of patches-work solutions that wind up continuously creating larger and larger issues until the whole thing is unworkable, and reset to a previous iteration.
CIG is obviously inclined to not go down that path, their staff seem to knwo what they're doing, and they're whole "not-deadline oriented, do things right the first time" approach might predispose them to not having a patchwork mess, but it's not impossible.

Wat?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

Agree with you on this. I'm not looking to topple anyone here. Derek serves a purpose. I'm invested into the comedy of this shitshow, and trying to demean the value of goons isn't really funny, it's just kinda sad. Especially because Derek is a goon now, and a pretty loving goony one at that. And especially when we have quality posters who also have an affect on the star citizen community. Infographics from gorf for example.

Agree. I also wouldn't read too much into Derek's "you ain't poo poo"-post. It's his way of releasing the anger he felt at that moment when he red my post, so what? I'd actually be more worried if he answered "that's an interesting point of view I haven't even considered yet, would you mind discussing it? It might add to the process of reflecting upon my past actions." THEN I would actually flip the gently caress out and lock down my doors and windows because something surely ain't right ;)

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

tuo posted:

Agree. I also wouldn't read too much into Derek's "you ain't poo poo"-post. It's his way of releasing the anger he felt at that moment when he red my post, so what? I'd actually be more worried if he answered "that's an interesting point of view I haven't even considered yet, would you mind discussing it? It might add to the process of reflecting upon my past actions." THEN I would actually flip the gently caress out and lock down my doors and windows because something surely ain't right ;)

Derek mad, so what

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress each quest giver must cost millions of dollars in production by now with Chris's promise of each quest being uniquely hand crafted with mocap and voice acting.

3 hours after hypothetical launch players will have done every quest two times over.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Miles Eckhart: Those are some sweet space pants you got there commando, I think you should only have to fetch me 9 space bear asses instead of the usual 10.

At this point honestly Star Citizen would be way more fun to play if they just decided to have a sense of humor about the whole thing and make it satirically stupid and bland instead of just regularly stupid and bland.

Star Citizen as it stands is going to be a horrible dumb bland grey mess filled with "gritty space cowboys" if they ever finish it. It's boring and almost painful to play. It would be way more fun if they just started making fun of themselves and literally had you running around collecting bear asses and poo poo.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mr.Tophat posted:

Derek - Time to put the baby into timeout!

*baby starves to death and begins to rot*

Goon - You know, he's a pretty even handed parent

Well, he barely did anything as mod. That's pretty even handed. Yeah, the baby starves, but so what?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

XK posted:

Well, he barely did anything as mod. That's pretty even handed. Yeah, the baby starves, but so what?

lmao

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

It's a video, so good news! I PMed you a copy. It deals mostly with the HG v HBS lawsuit, but because it's all wrapped up together it basically involves :pgi: and Catalyst and Battletech in general.

Upshot is that eventually it'll probably end up in front of a jury explaining why they have copyright on a particular geometry of robot arm; it's a normal shakedown over what *was* considered 'iconic' styles.

To be fair, FASA ripped off Harmony Gold when they published 'Battledroids' because they actually printed their pictures and assumed that Japan wouldn't come a'knocking.

Beet Wagon posted:

Goons are Derek, and Derek is a goon. :justpost:

Auto-erotic-flagellation on a massive scale.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:psyduck:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Well, you see, it's not the first time until you succeed. Kind of like how 2011 was not the first year SC was in development.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Back to topic: Star Citizen fat!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Babies suck. The only reason to have them is so they can crew your ship.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

It's not fat, it's big Ben'd.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

tuo posted:

I love chewing the fat

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

tuo posted:

Speaking of which..

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly I would love to rename this subforum Crowdfunding Clusterfuck and just make it about mocking lovely Kickstarters in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys hope all is well. I spent 9 hours color sorting a giant bin of old legos that I'm trying to prepare to give to my nephews and/or whatever parasitic spawn I may be involved in the creation of in the future. It was cool and mentally therapeutic. And then I went to a baseball game. It too was cool and mentally therapeutic. I feel like I could make a really cool video about something.

Just a reminder.
Call your parents.
Because they love you.

Tane.

And furthermore.

eleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By Warning Packet Overflow Error Please Stand By