Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The rumors swirling around at the distribution level is October for L5R.

Fantasy Flight (and Asmodee in general) are currently caught up in settling down into having one distributor as their exclusive provider as of August 1st, so a lot of things are in flux at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hopefully it doesn't take as long as AGoT 2 did

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

canyoneer posted:

I bet you're missing a rule or two.

Here's a list of commonly missed rules and strategies
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/5-things-i-wish-i-wouldve-known-when-i-started-playing-lotr-lcg/

Remember that you can mulligan your starting hand, and draw 5 new cards. In that constructed deck (which I've used before from Beorn), you really really want to see Steward of Gondor in your opening hand, and you want to see Celebrian's Stone early too.
Sneak Attack + Gandalf is a combo that will save your bacon too. Toss Gandalf in for a phase to add a 4/4/4 ally for a quest phase or combat phase, and then you STILL get to use his response effect of reducing threat, drawing cards, or dealing direct damage to something. Really great for nuking a nasty thing in the staging area, like Hummerhorns. And then you pop him right back into your hand, pretty great value for 1 cost.

Ideally in your opening hand you're going to have Steward of Gondor, which you can pay for right away with Theodred and Aragorn's resources and place on Denethor. Exhaust it and add 2 resources to Denethor, now you have 3 in his pool, and you're generating a total of 5 each turn (2 leadership, 3 Lore).
Your typical play is going to be to commit Theodred and Aragorn to the quest, using the bonus Theodred resource to ready Aragorn again, so he can quest and fight. If possible, Denethor can soak up most attacks, and then Aragorn kills stuff.
If you can get Protector of Lorien on at least Aragorn, you can pitch a card to add power to the quest if needed.

Last bit of guidance I'll share is that typically the worse you're doing, the more urgent it is for you to go fast. You've got to be developing your board and piling on progress tokens, else you'll fall impossibly behind when you get a bad draw.

Awesome advice thank you so much I appreciate it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

The rumors swirling around at the distribution level is October for L5R.

Fantasy Flight (and Asmodee in general) are currently caught up in settling down into having one distributor as their exclusive provider as of August 1st, so a lot of things are in flux at the moment.

Lemme tell you how happy LGS are about this new development.

The Happy Words posted:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
L5r also has its winter court championships in November, so everyone is assuming early October as a release date so people have time to play the game before the big tournament.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have a gencon exhibitor badge to grab L5R without dealing with the masses, but I wonder how good the game will be on one core for two players until I can get another box or two retail.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Send it to me :v:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PJOmega posted:

Lemme tell you how happy LGS are about this new development.

The ones they cut out are booty anyway

Oh no not Southern Hobby

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

canyoneer posted:

Remember that you can mulligan your starting hand, and draw 5 new cards.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
VS System is releasing a Predator expansion. The mechanics of VS System are solid, I just don't like comic books at all, so I'm happy they get non-superhero expansions from time to time. It's going to be released at GenCon and then in stores around the end of the month.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Went to the L5R opener at Gencon today, and got a prize!

It may have been a prize for worst in clan...

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

OB_Juan posted:

Went to the L5R opener at Gencon today, and got a prize!

It may have been a prize for worst in clan...

How did you find the game?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My friends and I all dropped after two rounds, since it was like 6pm. They took way too long getting stuff moving.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTtjYzq4T54

Team Covenant How to Play with Brad teaching.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Phrosphor posted:

How did you find the game?

With a map!

I enjoyed it. It seems like the clans play pretty differently, which is neat.

The event was all one box decks, so it wasn't a perfect representation.

Also, this blew my mind: people came in costume for an lcg. And talked about clan loyalty.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

OB_Juan posted:

With a map!

I enjoyed it. It seems like the clans play pretty differently, which is neat.

The event was all one box decks, so it wasn't a perfect representation.

Also, this blew my mind: people came in costume for an lcg. And talked about clan loyalty.

Some parts of the L5R community are very... let's say dedicated.

Phoenix for life

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'd really like to see the breakdown of how each clan was represented. I'm really curious how much of an impact only being able to represent a certain clan as a Hashamoto had on the competitive crew.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

I'd really like to see the breakdown of how each clan was represented. I'm really curious how much of an impact only being able to represent a certain clan as a Hashamoto had on the competitive crew.

As far as the Hatamotos, there were 8 Dragon and 0-4 for all the other clans.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

http://imperialadvisor.com/wp/2017/08/18/gencon-update-day-1/
8 Dragon, 5 Phoenix, 3 Lion, 3 Crab, 2 Scorpion, 1 Crane and 0 Unicorn

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
There were a lot of Phoenix players, not too sure about Dragon.

Not too many Unicorn or Lion that I saw.

A lot of Crane, seemed like...

And one guy who insisted he was pledged to Haas Bioroid.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

I saw the breakdown which is why I want to know the total distribution of all the players. I wonder if the competitive guys were willing to risk playing the best clan right now just to win in order to win or if there was thought to what might be good later on and not wanting to get stuck playing a clan that falls out of favor.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Some parts of the L5R community are very... let's say dedicated.

Phoenix for life

My three fav "clans" aren't even in the game :( . And yeah I'm not surprised people came out dressed up, you'd usually get some folks dressing up for Koteis so I'm not surprised that transferred to the LCG to some extent. FFG seems to have plans to engage players from all clans to so I can easily see the game fostering more faction loyalty than most of their others seem to.

Also Dragon was pretty much considered the best through a good deal of the beta, so not surprising that they have a lot of representation.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alansmithee posted:

Also Dragon was pretty much considered the best through a good deal of the beta, so not surprising that they have a lot of representation.

This is why I'm curious to see how many of those Dragons that became Hatamotos will remain so. The lines between bandwagoner and clan loyalist are going to get real strained.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
October 5th for wide release of L5R.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dexefiend posted:

My friends and I all dropped after two rounds, since it was like 6pm. They took way too long getting stuff moving.

Yeah, from what I've heard it sounded like a shitshow. Apparently it went past midnight or something?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Right near it. I stayed right to the end, it was about 11:30 when I left.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

OB_Juan posted:

October 5th for wide release of L5R.

Dang. I was hoping with all the hype they would have a much faster wide release.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I asked at the ffg panel if the expansions for l5r will be like anr.

All he would say was that there would be expansions, and he implied it would be different.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

If I like Rohan decks in LOTR LCG, should I play unicorn? Or something else?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

OB_Juan posted:

I asked at the ffg panel if the expansions for l5r will be like anr.

All he would say was that there would be expansions, and he implied it would be different.

The leak on MM seems normal

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgl5c02.html

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Expansions as in boxed sets rather than just the cycles we were expecting, I guess.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

They aren't doing anything different, same old 6 packs in a cycle like every other LCG they've ever done forever

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fritzler posted:

If I like Rohan decks in LOTR LCG, should I play unicorn? Or something else?

You're comparing cooperative and competitive games.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are the other really good cooperative LCGs besides LOTR and Arkham?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
That's the entirety of the genre, really.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sentinels of the multiverse if you like garbage. Not an LCG, but it is a co-op card game. It's really bad though.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Bottom Liner posted:

Sentinels of the multiverse if you like garbage. Not an LCG, but it is a co-op card game. It's really bad though.

Sentinels of the multiverse is a great starting game to card games. Its a cooperative hero based card game where the villian deck plays itself. It has high replayability (Since you can be a different hero team each time and face a different villian and play a different environment). It is also tropey and fun!

If you want a hard game, give this one a pass as the moment to moment decisions are pretty easy to figure out. It also fairs poorly with quarter backers, since it is a team game that's a bit easy to figure out.

What it is not is garbage.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Exmond posted:

If you want a hard good game, give this one a pass as the moment to moment decisions are pretty easy to figure out. It also fairs poorly with quarter backers, since it is a team game that's a bit easy to figure out.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I love card games. I have dozens of them.

Sentinels is a pretty garbage game. It practically plays itself. It's so light that even the guy in our group that plays anything refuses to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

There's Legendary but that's also a deckbuilder and also not really that good either. It's got cards and is cooperative?

e: oh but there's a board that comes with it ahahahaha