Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

caligulamprey posted:

I'm actually about to jump head-first into TAZ because D&D on Harmontown just ain't cuttin' it anymore. It's definitely why I creep in this thread more than post, I'm just not familiar with the material. Yet.

You're gonna to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I cried twice. Yay!

Angus thanking Taako and the obvious Magnus death.

I was bummed Angus didn't get adopted by Magnus. I kinda thought that's what the future vision they got was implying and I thought it made sense - Magnus would of course never remarry, but being a dad? That would be him all over.

I'm running a TAZ-based campaign based on some files I found on Reddit. I can't wait for my friends to fight Culex.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I really liked the finale and the entire body of the campaign. I started out way behind and then binged the whole thing over a few weeks in order to catch up before the 3-part finale. I wouldn't even be opposed to a re-listen just because of how much context of the story was set up early. Griffin really fleshed out and foreshadowed a ton of stuff in there, which is really surprising for his first creative writing effort.

The one thing I actively dislike though, is when Griffin's trying to do a cinematic representation of a scene and just straight up gives camera directions. Nothing takes me out of a story like "And then the camera pans up, and we see..." You aren't even supposed to do that in movie screenplays, let alone an audio-only story. The only time that ever comes up in film is in a shooting draft, which is literally so the camera crew knows what to do, but in a storytelling sense it's very narrative-breaking. I hope the next DM doesn't do it, there are so many better ways you can represent that in storytelling.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
nobody's mentioned it yet, but Merle's final moment on the beach with John killed me

his grand scheme turned out to be an aggressively bad idea and nearly killed everyone, but he got to enjoy one last sunset with his remaining friend.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 18, 2017

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
That was beautiful, and perfect. I was on the verge of tears for half of it and "How does Magnus die?" tipped me over as soon as I realised what was coming.

One thing I don't see discussed much is how beautifully compassionate and caring the entire story has been. I can't quite put it into words, but finding to a story where everybody involved so obviously and unashamedly cares about the characters and just want to make the world a better place is a rare thing and it's really meant a lot to listen to this.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bonk posted:

I really liked the finale and the entire body of the campaign. I started out way behind and then binged the whole thing over a few weeks in order to catch up before the 3-part finale. I wouldn't even be opposed to a re-listen just because of how much context of the story was set up early. Griffin really fleshed out and foreshadowed a ton of stuff in there, which is really surprising for his first creative writing effort.

The one thing I actively dislike though, is when Griffin's trying to do a cinematic representation of a scene and just straight up gives camera directions. Nothing takes me out of a story like "And then the camera pans up, and we see..." You aren't even supposed to do that in movie screenplays, let alone an audio-only story. The only time that ever comes up in film is in a shooting draft, which is literally so the camera crew knows what to do, but in a storytelling sense it's very narrative-breaking. I hope the next DM doesn't do it, there are so many better ways you can represent that in storytelling.

I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks this way. The cinematic storytelling is frustrating in a non-visual setting and I wish Griffin would stop doing it. I think the problem stems from his familiarity with video games and his unfamiliarity with books.

I thought about submitting a question about it for the Adventure Zone Zone, but realized that it would probably be mean and make me sound like a dick.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Question: Who is Thoth and why are they important?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Little Mac posted:

Question: Who is Thoth and why are they important?

Justin's PC from Knights. It either came out of nowhere or I wasn't paying attention during the Stolen Century when they were on Knights World.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Bonk posted:

I just started listening to Friends at the Table and it's pretty clear that's where Griffin got it from - it's a huge part of Austin Walker's GMing style. I quite like it in terms of scene setting, though I'd never explicitly reference the camera myself.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chieves posted:

Comedy option: Just listen to the "Previously On" segments at the beginning of each episode.

LMAO genius.

misadventurous posted:

Just listen all of to it and enjoy it's funny and good and absolutely loving free. Or uhh don't.

Imagine complaining because there are hours of entertaining pod content out there that you have no obligation to listen to

Hey imagine really not having time to listen in even though you really enjoy it, and being envious of the people who've been able to catch this from the beginning.

Just imagine!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

New EP of TPS with Pat!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

I just started listening to Friends at the Table and it's pretty clear that's where Griffin got it from - it's a huge part of Austin Walker's GMing style. I quite like it in terms of scene setting, though I'd never explicitly reference the camera myself.

They do the same thing on the Campaign podcast. Since that is a Star Wars game, it definitely makes sense to have a cinematic framing, but I generally like it regardless. I think Griffin used it well.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Waffleman_ posted:

Justin's PC from Knights. It either came out of nowhere or I wasn't paying attention during the Stolen Century when they were on Knights World.

Griffin didn't specifically named her when they were in Alt-Nights world, but the guardian monk robot is heavily implied to be Thoth at the time.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

They never said it outright but the robot guarding the big crystal who they had to argue with about killing everyone to stop the hunger getting them was Troth.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Wasabi the J posted:

LMAO genius.

Hey imagine really not having time to listen in even though you really enjoy it, and being envious of the people who've been able to catch this from the beginning.

Just imagine!

Honest suggestion: are you faster at reading? There's fan transcripts out there and it looks like they're done except for the last episode. It's still a lot of material, but it might be more manageable for you? Here's what Google pulled up.

You'll miss out on voices and music and what have you, but you can go back and listen to individual bits or songs online.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

El Padrino posted:

Griffin didn't specifically named her when they were in Alt-Nights world, but the guardian monk robot is heavily implied to be Thoth at the time.

While I appreciate the reference, I don't think it was the right time for such an explicit and unexplained reference. Your big climactic battle is not a place where you want your listeners to be thrown out of the moment by a reference they don't understand because they're not a donor.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Just imagine!

Just spread it out over a few months when you feel like you have the time, there's absolutely no need to binge listen to TAZ. The only time I felt like I couldn't take a break and do other stuff for a few days, was episode 2 of The Eleventh Hour and how they resolved that + the entire 11th hr. story.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

While I appreciate the reference, I don't think it was the right time for such an explicit and unexplained reference. Your big climactic battle is not a place where you want your listeners to be thrown out of the moment by a reference they don't understand because they're not a donor.

It's not a well told story.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I get the feeling that's why Griffin didn't name her specifically during the Stolen Century, it was more like a wink to donors. Travis did during the fight.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
So, I don't get the 9 second time travel bit. Like was it actually edited around?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm not the only one who had to Google like half the characters that returned in the last few arcs right?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Captain Internet posted:

So, I don't get the 9 second time travel bit. Like was it actually edited around?

The way Griffin intended the 9 second time travel thing was to give the party healer a chance to undo a fuckup, say Taako gets crit hit and automatically dies, no chance to roll for survival. Earl Merle then has a chance to go back in time and save Taako.

Clint used it as a goof where we are already in the timeline where Merle comes back in time and tells himself to not cast a spell cause he's going to gently caress up and instead summons someone else, which takes away from Clint loving up a spell, someone getting hurt and him using his sphere to go back and try something else

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It was pretty good

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The best part was the brother's confusion at first, they all assumed he was doing something way wrong that he definitely shouldn't be doing (which, let's be honest, is usually the case) and that also made the reveal even funnier.

In other news, The Polygon Show is good. Between the Chrono Cross shoutout a couple weeks ago and, this week, identifying SO strongly with Simone (was it Simone? Still working out the voices) this week when she talked about getting to the end of a game and never getting around to beating it because you don't want it to end, and racking up all of these unfinished game experiences

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

timp posted:

Between the Chrono Cross shoutout a couple weeks ago

Having one of them mention Chrono Cross in that first little 12 minute episode had me sold on this show immediately. haha.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Latest ep of the Polygon Show made me want a Simone and Pat podcast super bad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I've been trying to remember all the details about the Hunger and whether I actually like its overall execution. I was going through a transcript for the episode where Merle first parleys with John, and noticed something. As John is introduced as what appears to be a 50s-ish businessman, Travis free-associates him as Roger Sterling (from Mad Men), albeit initially by the misnomer of Sterling Cooper (the name of the advertising firm).

Given what we later learn as his/The Hunger's motivation, and his subsequent loss of control, it's actually a really good/prescient peg, considering Sterling's (or even Sterling Cooper's) overall series arc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

atomicthumbs posted:

nobody's mentioned it yet, but Merle's final moment on the beach with John killed me

Yeah, me too. Merle's infinite capacity for compassion is amazing.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'm not the only one who had to Google like half the characters that returned in the last few arcs right?

You are. Because I asked my kid.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I've never watched Mad Men so I was imagining Rod Serling of the Twilight Zone the whole time, instead

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I saw some fan art that drew him as Jon Arbuckle, and since then that's how I imagine him.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

creationist believer posted:

I saw some fan art that drew him as Jon Arbuckle, and since then that's how I imagine him.

Wait, so were you imagining Garfield attacking Jon Arbuckle during the final fight?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
For whatever reason I always pictured Garfield the Deals Warlock as looking like the wizard from Ugly Americans.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait, so were you imagining Garfield attacking Jon Arbuckle during the final fight?

Absolutely, I pictured Garfield in a cloak throwing a grenade at a One Winged Angel/Culex monstrosity with Jon Arbuckle's face. Also that line about free samples at Costco was really well delivered.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Some small moments I loved:

quote:

Taako: Uh, my boyfriend's Death, is that going to be a problem?

Clint: "Merle doesn't hear much from the boys"
Justin: "We were calling all the time, he just left his farspeech stone on mute!"

Kravitz's hand feeling warm to Magnus, because Magnus himself was dead.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
garf head/pam body or pam head/garf body

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

yeah actually they will posted:

It's always been garf head/pam body and anyone who says otherwise is lying
e: also as I typed that I got a notification that there's a new Monster Factory so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aWH3-46slI

Moatman fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 18, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

yeah actually they will posted:

Deal Garf head/Final Pam body or Final Pam head/Deal Garf body?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Some small moments I loved:

That Mavis/Merle exchange near the end was as much the characters as it was Griffin and his old man having a sweet moment, and I unironically envy the McElboys cause their dorky dad is cool and good. :unsmith:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Moatman posted:

e: also as I typed that I got a notification that there's a new Monster Factory so

MUST WATCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Flavivirus posted:

When I run a game I do the camera lines and cast characters with famous actors. My players are typically on the greener side but they all seem to like it.