Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Imperial Biggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Seldom Posts posted:

How does poe work with com relay? He doesn't have evade that I recall...

You start by doing a straight one, boost trigger intensity to assign an evade. Keep it on Poe now until you need it. I never spent it unless I was going to take a hit to the hull.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Attendees are saying Gun of Hire is available at Gen Con.

What does that usually mean for it being on sale at shops?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Raged posted:

Attendees are saying Gun of Hire is available at Gen Con.

What does that usually mean for it being on sale at shops?

Last year it meant about 2-4 weeks after gencon it was available for the general public.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just saw my local FLGS say that there's another miniatures Star Wars game coming called Star award Legion? It's infantry based?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just saw my local FLGS say that there's another miniatures Star Wars game coming called Star award Legion? It's infantry based?

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/256411-star-wars-legion-large-scale-ffg-ground-combat-minis-wargame/#comment-2930389

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lazerus06 posted:

You start by doing a straight one, boost trigger intensity to assign an evade. Keep it on Poe now until you need it. I never spent it unless I was going to take a hit to the hull.

Cool thanks.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Interesting...

I have never touched Warhammer or other ground-based tabletop games. Anyone willing to give a quick spiel on how they work?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

IronSaber posted:

Interesting...

I have never touched Warhammer or other ground-based tabletop games. Anyone willing to give a quick spiel on how they work?

Poorly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

IronSaber posted:

Interesting...

Assuming this isn't skirmish (why would it be? IA exists), it'll be more like warhammer with the regimental system. If they do it correctly, there will be large blocks of infantry that can wheel and change formations and charge into other blocks. If they do it better, it'll be based on historical rulesets (or runewars, that one's good too) and not warhammer. If they don't it correctly, it'll be like 40k which is just a hot mess.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Oh god. No please no

I was saving up for a new car

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Simplest way to put it is they're turn-based tactics/strategy games, usually with tape measures instead of grids or hexes. You push dudes around the table based on their speed and then either shoot or melee or whatever else typically by way of hucking some dice. Outside of the pretty unique gimmick of maneuver dials and templates X-Wing follows a lot of the typical conventions of tabletop wargames based around infantry; Instead of two or three ships picture a couple dozen dudes, and instead of setting movement dials you just freely move them. I'd definitely classify X-Wing as a miniature wargame anyway, just really far on the accessibility and smaller-scale end of the spectrum.

As over saturated with Star Wars stuff as we are, I'd kind of actually like to see them mimic 40k and improve on the formula because it would mean that there would be another wargame on the scene that's probably not so lovely and made by a garbage rear end company. There would probably be like decent support and updates and nice things like sanctioned events and no overt contempt for their customer base and such. Runewars is probably going to wither and die but I can't think of an IP that has a better shot at making a big splash than Star Wars right now in what's a pretty niche genre all things considered.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Simplest way to put it is they're turn-based tactics/strategy games, usually with tape measures instead of grids or hexes. You push dudes around the table based on their speed and then either shoot or melee or whatever else typically by way of hucking some dice. Outside of the pretty unique gimmick of maneuver dials and templates X-Wing follows a lot of the typical conventions of tabletop wargames based around infantry; Instead of two or three ships picture a couple dozen dudes, and instead of setting movement dials you just freely move them. I'd definitely classify X-Wing as a miniature wargame anyway, just really far on the accessibility and smaller-scale end of the spectrum.

As over saturated with Star Wars stuff as we are, I'd kind of actually like to see them mimic 40k and improve on the formula because it would mean that there would be another wargame on the scene that's probably not so lovely and made by a garbage rear end company. There would probably be like decent support and updates and nice things like sanctioned events and no overt contempt for their customer base and such. Runewars is probably going to wither and die but I can't think of an IP that has a better shot at making a big splash than Star Wars right now in what's a pretty niche genre all things considered.

I hope it's ACW or black powder in style so i can see all the gnashing of teeth from "fans" who don't realize that large-scale combat in star wars was 18th-19th centure in nature. It kinda had to be - there were Jedi and large elephants with shield balloons, after all.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do they really think theres enough interest to support rune wars and this thing? Pretty ambitious.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Do they really think theres enough interest to support rune wars and this thing? Pretty ambitious.

Remeber someone ages ago saying Runewars was going to be a test bed for an eventual SW game

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Assuming this isn't skirmish (why would it be? IA exists), it'll be more like warhammer with the regimental system. If they do it correctly, there will be large blocks of infantry that can wheel and change formations and charge into other blocks. If they do it better, it'll be based on historical rulesets (or runewars, that one's good too) and not warhammer. If they don't it correctly, it'll be like 40k which is just a hot mess.

This is a funny joke, but there is no chance in hell Star Wars: Legion will resemble a historical game.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Hasn't stopped em from crapping out a new, lovely LCG every year.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If the system is good it will sell like hotcakes.

Most of the X-Wing players I know will get it

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
If the minis are better quality than IA, I'm in.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I think this is the mystery $30 thing

CAuse it's 30 years too

EDIT: Also check the typo at the bottom

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think this is the mystery $30 thing

CAuse it's 30 years too

EDIT: Also check the typo at the bottom

It's $60

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Was that game actually any good? I'm always leery about RPGs from that time period because they're all full of grognardy crunch and charts bullshit, though probably not as much as the turn of the century with open source d20.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's pretty good and created the EU. It has its own problems but crunch isn't really one of them

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

What is "crunch?"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

IronSaber posted:

What is "crunch?"

'Fluff' is story, 'crunch' is rules. The usual example is Warhammer 40k; you can play that game without knowing a drat thing about the 'fluff;' who the Emperor of Man is, who the Space Marines are, who the Eldar are, why Orkz like to paint their vehicles red, and so on. But you do need to know the 'crunch;' playfield setup, army point totals, stats, how to move, how to determine Line of Sight, how to attack, defend, assign damage, use special abilities, and so on. Similarly, you might enjoy all the 'fluff,' read the novels, know lots about the backstory, but never have actually played, or know anything about, the tabletop war game.

X-Wing is basically all crunch; you don't need to know a drat thing about who Soontir Fel or Dengar or Thweek are; you just need to know what their abilities do. There's no ongoing metaplot, no story line, no 'universe' other than 'Star Wars themed.' Nobody knows or cares why Biggs is flying alongside a Clone Wars era fighter and Sabine's stolen TIE, and why they're fighting three random mooks flying a ship listed once in a random tie-in novel.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Minor tidbit but "chrome" is also part of crunch for wargames and applies more directly to 40k. However, chrome kinda has a connotation of "rules intended to more accurately simulate real life" or increase verisimilitude. X-wing doesn't have much chrome: the only example I can think off the top of my head are faction-specific things like Mindlink or condition cards. But that's kinda the nature of army building designs. 40k, inversely, has tons. You can have entire armies that fight other armies better or worse due to the fluff. And there's 50 different special rules wrt terrain and weather.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Chill la Chill posted:

Was that game actually any good? I'm always leery about RPGs from that time period because they're all full of grognardy crunch and charts bullshit, though probably not as much as the turn of the century with open source d20.

It's mixed, though almost exactly full of what you say you're wary of. It has a lot of bogged-down elements of non fun gameplay that sorta plagued games from around that time, in support of a semblance of realism I guess? Like there's rules for how long your ship has to spend in drydocks after taking damage (weeks to months), when Star Wars isn't really about that, it's about "The ship is broken, send a wookie into the ship's basement with a hydrospanner for 20 minutes." The jedi rules were okay, though it's entirely possible for a jedi to nearly kill himself with his first lightsaber swing. Basically if you like Star Wars a little more light and fluffy like the movies, where healing time boils down to a shot of Luke floating in a blue soda, then the current FFG is more on the mark, but if you like RPGs from the 80s where advice runs to "If the players manage to get a turbolaser, make sure to punish them by having it break down often," then it's the sort of old-school game you're looking for.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

theironjef posted:

It's mixed, though almost exactly full of what you say you're wary of. It has a lot of bogged-down elements of non fun gameplay that sorta plagued games from around that time, in support of a semblance of realism I guess? Like there's rules for how long your ship has to spend in drydocks after taking damage (weeks to months), when Star Wars isn't really about that, it's about "The ship is broken, send a wookie into the ship's basement with a hydrospanner for 20 minutes." The jedi rules were okay, though it's entirely possible for a jedi to nearly kill himself with his first lightsaber swing. Basically if you like Star Wars a little more light and fluffy like the movies, where healing time boils down to a shot of Luke floating in a blue soda, then the current FFG is more on the mark, but if you like RPGs from the 80s where advice runs to "If the players manage to get a turbolaser, make sure to punish them by having it break down often," then it's the sort of old-school game you're looking for.

This. It was a product of it's time, but as others have said, it literally created the EU. LucasArts used it as reference material. A box of it was handed to Timothy Zahn, when he was tasked with writing what became the Thrawn trilogy. I seem to recall Freddy Prinze Junior brought his collection in when he joined Star Wars: Rebels.

From a 'crunch' view, though, it was an evolution of the d6 system used in the GhostBusters RPG. Was one of the first RPGs to use character templates, IIRC, with Shadowrun being a close second. Was fairly good at putting a lot of constraints on light-side Jedi. I remember there being a lot of vehicle rules, including size scales; i.e. what good are snub fighters going to be against THAT?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

TheCenturion posted:

I seem to recall Freddy Prinze Junior brought his collection in when he joined Star Wars: Rebels.

It was Sam Witwer, voice of Darth Maul in Clone Wars and Rebels, and voice and facial model for Galen Marek in The Force Unleashed, who came in for work and dropped his collection of the old RPG books in Dave Filoni's lap. Freddie is a Star Wars nerd for sure, but Sam Witwer is a turbonerd when it comes to Star Wars.

He is also incredibly hot. Honestly Freddie's pretty easy on the eyes in his middle-age, too. Yes, their love of Star Wars helps.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So what time does wave 12 get announced tomorrow?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Couple of guys from my league went to the tournament today at GenCon. They were matched against each other round two. All those people from around the world.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Someone posted this list a while back, and I flew it tonight:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Kylo Ren (3)
Saboteur (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Dauntless (2)

Lieutenant Dormitz (31)
Fire-Control System (2)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

It was OK, it won a game and lost a game. But how feasable is it really? I mean once Chiraneau gets whittled down, Dormitz is too big to get a bead on smaller ships.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Anyone know what time FFG is doing their presentation at GenCon?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
FFG stream is up on the TC facebook page https://www.facebook.com/teamcovenant

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Wave XII
Kimogila with new firing arc (bull eyes to do extra damage)
Phantom II (Can still dock with ghost, chopper astromech)
ASSAULT GUNBOAT

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
WAVE 12

New shuttle for ghost

Scum fighter with bullseye arc

and the loving assault gunboat with slam FML

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hell yes Assault loving Gunboat my life is complete

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

loving Gunboat, hell yes!!!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Seconding and thirding ASSAULT GUNBOATS BABY
https://twitter.com/TheJodoCast/status/898577996344246274

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The gunboat is still all kinds of ugly

• Locked thread