Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

godbless the offseason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Looney Tunes basketball was the best basketball video game, hope this helps

I enjoyed the PS1 Space Jam game way more than I should have as a child...me and my brother would team up and comp stomp the Monstars all day.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

attackmole posted:

As a person who didn't get seriously into basketball until I was older, NBA Street was my first experience with most of the legends and goddamn was it a good way to learn about them.

It's kind of funny to learn them through that game and then discover that Darryl Dawkins was a mediocre player

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
BOOOOOOOOGIEEEE

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/898553826982195200
miss u friend

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/TheNBPA/status/898566418861400065

Wonder who kyrie voted for

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Boogie not big on betrayers

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Will always love Boogie

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dwight Howard saying all the right things this offseason

quote:

"In Orlando, I was getting 13-15 shots a game. Last season, in Atlanta, it was six shot attempts. It looks like I'm not involved in the game. And if I miss a shot, it sticks out because I am not getting very many of them. But I think it's all opportunity, the system. I haven't had a system where I can be who I am since I was in Orlando."

"Teams wanted me to do different things than they promised me when I went to choose them," Howard told ESPN. "In Atlanta, I was going to be involved in the offense. Then, toward the end of the season, it turned into, 'Hey, we just got you for defense and rebounds.'

"What people don't understand from the outside is that, 'Oh, he isn't getting shots so his game is declining,' and that always goes back to opportunity and system. Players thrive with an opportunity and system.

"It stung me how I started the season, getting a lot of shot attempts, getting the ball -- and by the end of the season, in the fourth I was sitting on the bench. It pissed me off. I knew that I had more to give the game, give myself and the team."

On the plus side expiring contracts are probably going to be a commodity again

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

Dwight gets like .84 points per possession on posts ups now, slightly fewer than Frank Kaminsky (compare that to someone on the top end like Jokic, who gets 1.12 ppp on post-ups.) Better hope he doesn't start demanding them all of the time

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Not surprising Dwight is bad at math, although you'd think he could get a tutor really easily

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Dwight can't even count to 18

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Howard had a 63% True-shooting percentage last season so, yeah, it makes sense to let him score more.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Lockback posted:

Howard had a 63% True-shooting percentage last season so, yeah, it makes sense to let him score more.

Wouldn't it just get worse with more attempts, like the other years he shot more? I don't know where to find that stat but my 5 seconds of research on my poo poo phone indicates his 2pt is pretty good (high 50s when he has more attempts) and his FTs are always trash, which probably helps the other team more.

Idk, I was making a pedo joke and you got all Data on me. But now I'm genuinely curious but not sure where to start.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

His usage could tick up a bit but ideally he'd play even less than he did in Atlanta. Being able to toggle between him and Zeller depending on matchups would be great.

I was hoping for a small amount of self-awareness but that's probably too much to ask for at this point. I didn't post the part of the article about him practicing three-pointers all offseason.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Wouldn't it just get worse with more attempts, like the other years he shot more? I don't know where to find that stat but my 5 seconds of research on my poo poo phone indicates his 2pt is pretty good (high 50s when he has more attempts) and his FTs are always trash, which probably helps the other team more.

Idk, I was making a pedo joke and you got all Data on me. But now I'm genuinely curious but not sure where to start.

Yeah, it'd likely go down with higher usage but as long as it's hovering around 60% that's still fine

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's kind of funny to learn them through that game and then discover that Darryl Dawkins was a mediocre player

Ultimately proving that having a good nickname is the key to a long legacy. RIP.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

TS% includes Free Throws already. Efficiency usually goes down the more you shoot, but you want your high efficiency guys shooting more.

morestuff posted:

Yeah, it'd likely go down with higher usage but as long as it's hovering around 60% that's still fine

60% is much better than fine, only 25 guys who played real minutes hit that mark this past season:
https://www.basketball-reference.co...=60&order_by=ws

There's only 15 guys who hit at least 60% TS with Dwight's usage or higher. The only players who had a higher True Shooting AND a higher usage were Jokic and Durant. Dwight was really efficient scoring.

It's not like Dwight have been inefficient in his career before, he still can score efficiently with a usage a step or two up.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Man, why the hell was I thinking Dwight was so much worse than he actually is? Maybe it's my Lakers bias showing. Thank you for explaining that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/suntimes_hoops/status/898600889342074880

:allears:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Man, why the hell was I thinking Dwight was so much worse than he actually is? Maybe it's my Lakers bias showing. Thank you for explaining that.

He's super unlikable and fell from being one of the two or three best players in the world to just a good starting center so people think he's a lot worse than he actually is. His offensive game is also pretty limited even if what he does is effective and those guys tend to be kinda underrated.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Did anyone ever save the quote from, I think RD Mangles, about how big of a chump you have to be to buy a Dwight Howard jersey?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

MourningView posted:

He's super unlikable and fell from being one of the two or three best players in the world to just a good starting center so people think he's a lot worse than he actually is. His offensive game is also pretty limited even if what he does is effective and those guys tend to be kinda underrated.

Basically, yeah. I am not making the argument he is really good offensively, his post-ups aren't great (though the average non-transition, non-putback play is around .93 so .84 isn't as bad as it looks). He is limited in general, and can be tough to weave into an offense, but he does what he does really well. He plays the post where he can be around for putback plays (which are super efficient) and where he can do his follow-up cut after penetration, which is also super efficient. His numbers seem to indicate getting him more involved would be more valuable to the team.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

I love that dude

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What I always heard people complain about with Dwight in Houston was him wanting to post up because that's what star big men do like Duncan or Shaq or Hakeem do, but over the course of his career basically everyone stopped doing big-man postups and he wanted to keep doing them even when the team did much better when he was doing PnR.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
of course the immediate "ATHLETES SHOULDN'T TALK POLITICS" come in
you motherfuckers elected a reality tv show host for president. c'mon. Never heard of Bill Bradley or something?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

of course the immediate "ATHLETES SHOULDN'T TALK POLITICS" come in
you motherfuckers elected a reality tv show host for president. c'mon. Never heard of Bill Bradley or something?

It's (black) ATHLETES SHOULDN'T DARE TO SAY THINGS I DISAGREE WITH!1!1

None of them are complaining about Schilling or Rick Barry talking nonsense.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
the alt right WILL ban the slam dunk again like once upon a time in college basketball. white men jumping tech has evolved to the point of Dunk Kings and Birdman but they'd still prefer to "equalize" the playing field. there's no room to stand on the sidelines. fascism is a flagrant foul.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pierce's number will be retired next year on Feb 11th

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shear Modulus posted:

What I always heard people complain about with Dwight in Houston was him wanting to post up because that's what star big men do like Duncan or Shaq or Hakeem do, but over the course of his career basically everyone stopped doing big-man postups and he wanted to keep doing them even when the team did much better when he was doing PnR.

He was at one point as good as a PnR finisher as anyone has every been and he's still pretty drat good. But yes he's a dumbass and has a huge ego so he wants post up isolations constantly. He's basically the center version of Carmelo, except he's still an elite to second tier defensive center.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spite posted:

It's (black) ATHLETES SHOULDN'T DARE TO SAY THINGS I DISAGREE WITH!1!1

None of them are complaining about Schilling or Rick Barry talking nonsense.

I saw some complaining about Chris (?) Long today or yesterday on twitter.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Even the lovely last year in Houston Harden would get him 2-3 easy dunks a game in the PnR. Then he'd go back to posting up because gently caress. And he makes his teams offensively unwatchable regardless of how efficient he actually is.

e: I've basically blocked all his play out of my memory. There's the fun Parsons+Lin+Asik team, then Josh Smith and Corey Brewer beating the Clippers somehow, and then the long and prosperous D'Antoni era

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 18, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah and the back injuries just obliterated all of what effectiveness at post ups he had back in Orlando, it was painful to watch in Houston.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Finally an article that's basically what I've tried to tell this thread multiple times concerning the 17/18 Mavs.
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/kzz85y/the-dallas-mavericks-are-built-to-exceed-expectations

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 19, 2017

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

morestuff posted:

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
This is cool

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/898697864511094785

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Spacebump posted:

Finally an article that's basically what I've tried to tell this thread multiple times concerning the 17/18 Mavs.
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/kzz85y/the-dallas-mavericks-are-built-to-exceed-expectations

I love the Mavs but that article even says Dirk had a negative net rating last year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I love the Mavs but that article even says Dirk had a negative net rating last year.

Dirk's overall numbers this season will be better this year simply because he won't be coming back from an injury midseason (hopefully). It's not unrealistic to think he could pass Duncan in overall winshares. Dirk will also look better because the point guard rotation won't be a rotating cast of old guys with injuries for most of the season. He won't be anywhere near prime Dirk but he realistically could be a more effective player compared to last season.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 19, 2017

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

This is like some sorta....BASEketball

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/SBNationNBA/status/898731049726779393

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These would be good bet avatars if the Raptors ever start winning stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
kings so irrelevant they use the old logo :sad:

• Locked thread