Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If you get a cool Pantokrator they'll tidy it all up and make the world all nice and happy again, though. Most are the type to just leave the skeleton hordes and eternal darkness lying around, true, but not all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Crazycryodude posted:

If you get a cool Pantokrator they'll tidy it all up and make the world all nice and happy again, though. Most are the type to just leave the skeleton hordes and eternal darkness lying around, true, but not all.

I think that's part of my point... The current pantokrator has turned the world into its ideal vision, but there are still lots of recent memories of the apocalyptic war among mortals.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'll remember what they're told to. It'll all be grandpa's tall tales in 50 years.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 110

Turn 110 does not begin, because turn 110 does not exist. At least, it does not exist for the purpose of this LP. I hosed up, and I failed to take screen shots and make notes before the game turned once again. I hosed up bad enough that I didn’t even play the turn other than checking it once to see what happenend. The usual order of operations for this LP is that 1) I’ll check the new turn to see what generally happened, then 2) play the turn on my own, wait a day and 3) take screens and write the notes for the turn. SO, huge gently caress-up, and I am very sorry for it!

There were just a couple of interesting things that happened on turn 110 that you should know about. First, we summoned a Chayot! We stopped building Golems and built up enough of a Pearl stockpile that I figured “why not?” and we had Marut, our second Seraph, cast Call Merkavah, the 222 Pearl National Spell. Here’s our first and only Chayot:

It took 110 turns but we finally got one.

He came with 4 Ophan, too. We’re going to turn them into Commanders because we have more gems than brains and once again “why not?”

I love the head-trip descriptions of the Biblical angels.

The second thing that happened on turn 110, and the thing I’m so, so upset that I didn’t get to document, was that we Canceled. The. Apocalypse. Remember how Ramc, playing Bogarus, indicated a turn or two ago that he was building a new S9 unit with which to Wish for Armageddon? To do the one thing that would actually hurt us now? Well, sometime during turn 109 Ramc and I were chatting on IRC and he let out that his new Wish caster wasn’t hiding in his Capitol. We’ve been sending Disease Demons against Bogarus’ cap for a while now. I figured I had to try something, so I redirected all of our assassins to the only other Bogarussian province I figured would hold high-level poo poo: Nom! When I pulled up the turn report for 110 I was treated to the lovely sight of a Disease Demon (costs 5 slaves to cast) successfully assassinating an S9 Golem in single combat. It was glorious, it made me smile, and I’m so sorry to have no documentation.

The rest of the turn was inconsequential, we did all of the same poo poo we’ve been doing for the past couple dozen turns (i.e. Continue Winning).

So, let’s move on to Turn 111!

Turn 111

Turn 111 begins with a message from Bogarus:

I'm so upset that I missed this poo poo.

The countdown ends, the world goes silent, and then comes the growing realization that there will be no final act of defiance, no desperate measure made by the resistance against the unstoppable tide of the Demonic and the Undead. Hope was a lie, Gath has won, it is only a matter of mopping up resistance.

We weren’t involved in any battles this turn because I never issued orders to our armies the previous turn! Caelum did fight a couple battles that we scouted. First, Caelum attacked the pile of Lesser Horrors sieging Bogarus’ fort in the province of S’catli Swamps:

A real big pile of Horrors.

Good Lord that’s a lot of Horrors! I don’t know if Caelum would have won if not for the fact that Horrors of different types are so completely enthused to murder each other:

:lol:

The Horrors that make it to Caelum’s lines do damage, but are eventually picked-off by mages.

Caelum also moves an army to siege Bogarus’ fort in the province of Ulm, brushing aside a handful of Lesser Horrors that were hanging out there:

Nothing interesting happened in any of the battles instigated by Enchanted Forests. We did get attacked by forces spawned by a random event, however!

Oh no!

The brave Gathite province defense proves more than a match for evil vine men.

Another random event caused the Lab in our province of Man to burn down! Joyful surprise!!

Gonna have to hang some fools for letting this dumb poo poo happen.

Something else we did on turn 110 was to claim a bunch of Thrones. We now have 20 Throne Points, and once we claim the Iron Throne and The Throne of the Sun we will be victorious!

So, what are we doing for next turn? Around Bogarus we are finishing taking the provinces adjacent to the capitol, and we’re preparing forces to move onto the capitol to break the fort’s gate. I do kind of want to successfully storm and take Bogarus itself before claiming Victory.

It feels fitting to vanquish our final foe before claiming victory.

We’re going to storm the fort in Jhira next turn, giving us control of the Throne of the Sun. We pinged the fort on turn 110 and found it to be full of lovely junk, so there shouldn’t be much of a battle.

An invincible army.

Caelum looks like he’s preparing to siege Bogarus’ Throne province of S’catli Swamps. Whatever, we don’t have to care about it anymore.

Take it if you like!

We’re moving Buer the Goat Sun and his honor-guard of Golems to attack Pangaea’s province Osandias. That’s the province where the large Pangaean army led by Pan’s Prophet is patrolling. We’ll see if we can’t bring that chapter of Pangaea’s history to a close!

One of the last and largest concentrations of beast men will fall!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Friends thank you for your supreme patience and nice comments while I've been (failing to) update this LP for the past couple weeks! I'm going on a trip until the end of the month, but when I return I am going to sit down and hammer out the last few updates in one sitting and complete the story we started together almost exactly one year ago (holy poo poo)! As very astute and knowledgeable readers probably have guessed we're going to win very soon, so it won't take long to finish things up.

Thank you for your support and encouragement, and I'll see you all at the end of the month!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Turn 109: "eh, gently caress it, let's send some of our remote assassination spells elsewhere."

Turn 110: "HOLY poo poo IT ACTUALLY WORKED"

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It is very important to note that an astral mage in an assassination battle is PROFOUNDLY STUPID with its spells. An S9 mage can cast spells that utterly save or die/enslave enemies with incredible penetration.

But they will cast ethereal form, luck, astral shield then punch ineffectually.

Give them a water bottle or something don't be like me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How are u posted:

Friends thank you for your supreme patience and nice comments while I've been (failing to) update this LP for the past couple weeks! I'm going on a trip until the end of the month, but when I return I am going to sit down and hammer out the last few updates in one sitting and complete the story we started together almost exactly one year ago (holy poo poo)! As very astute and knowledgeable readers probably have guessed we're going to win very soon, so it won't take long to finish things up.

Thank you for your support and encouragement, and I'll see you all at the end of the month!

It's been an absolutely amazing LP, thanks so much.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
the angel menaces with spikes of chrysolite

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Probably the best Dom 4 LP I've ever read(in part because it's actually finishing).

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Truly a fantastic LP, I love this game dearly regardless of how terrible I am at it and you made me love it even more. This has been a fantastic ride from start to finish and even as much as I've played I still saw some awesome new poo poo. Thanks so much for a damned good bit of thread, I can only sit and stare in awe at at your endurance and sheer Dominions talent.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Congratulations to every player who stuck it out to the end.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
With Gath on the cusp of victory and almost certainly beyond any hope of defeat, Libluini continues his diligent siege of the only other power remaining in the game.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Congratulations to every player who stuck it out to the end.

Seconding this. Extra congratulations to Ramc who took over for a dropped player and didn't just look at the situation and say "nope, we're screwed, why bother."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

With Gath on the cusp of victory and almost certainly beyond any hope of defeat, Libluini continues his diligent siege of the only other power remaining in the game.

The funny thing is, at this point in the game I turned completely delusional and speculated I could still win if I just get enough thrones fast enough. My plan was basically: Get all unclaimed thrones, Blitzkrieg all of Gath's thrones in easy reach and victory!

I gave myself a 5% chance of this plan actually working. :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Probably the best Dom 4 LP I've ever read(in part because it's actually finishing).

The previous one (I think?) led to Ramc playing Dom4, though, which was instrumental to this one begin so good too!

Chicken and egg.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
So. This is nice.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 112

Turn 112 doesn’t begin with messages or fanfare. We cast the normal spells, with a few interesting exceptions and things to note.

First, we cast Wish once again with Kushiel the Seraph! Kushiel Wished for “Magic Power”, which gives the caster +1 to every path of magic:

How diverse!

The Might of Zionism has, for lack of something better to do, been chain-casting Improved Crossbreeding. He’s managed to summon a couple of interesting fellows:

There were a couple of interesting battles this turn. First, we attacked that Pangaean army patrolling the province of Osandias:

Buer the Goat Sun arrives with his honor guard of Golem.

Unorganized beast men don't stand a chance.

Battle-summoned imps clog the center of the field while...

Buer casts Flame Storm and incinerates the enemy army.

Pangaea's Prophet gets away!

The Prophet fled the field like a coward, maybe we’ll end up getting him another time.

We stormed the fortress in Jhira:

The lonely defender of the Throne province of Jhira.

He's in a bit of trouble.

The living blenders start to unclog the gate.

Furcas the Arch Devil lends a hand with powerful evocations.

And Caelum stormed a Bogarussian fort in Runia, winning but somehow managing to lose another hundred or so Corpse Constructs. Those things seem pretty fragile.

We stormed one of Bogarus’ forts near his capitol, it was full of Astrapelagists:

A host of Demon Knights leads the charge.

But even Demon Knights get ripped up by close range evocation.

:drac:

Vampires saved the day.

What is the plan for next turn? We’re moving a massive number of troops onto Bogarus, aiming to crack the capitol fort.

And we’re claiming the Throne of the Sun, leaving us 2 Throne Points away from victory. I’d like to take Bogarus before then, so we’ll hold off a moment.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I admit I've been hopping that Ramc would pull an upset with Bogarus ever since he subbed in, but congrats man. That is some serious effort you have put in for our entertainment, you absolutely deserve this. A shame libluini doesn't share in the spoils but I suppose that what happens to you if you play dominions whilst not being a psychopathic paranoiac. You just up being the dupes of those who are apparently.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

I admit I've been hopping that Ramc would pull an upset with Bogarus ever since he subbed in, but congrats man. That is some serious effort you have put in for our entertainment, you absolutely deserve this. A shame libluini doesn't share in the spoils but I suppose that what happens to you if you play dominions whilst not being a psychopathic paranoiac. You just up being the dupes of those who are apparently.

WhyIDon'tPlayDom4.txt

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

(fun fact Bogarus' previous management had not really made firebirds outside of the cap)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ramc posted:

(fun fact Bogarus' previous management had not really made firebirds outside of the cap)

I thought it was generally the play to just stack them all in the cap? I have heard some people allege there's an event limit, but I thought that was generally considered false.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Bug Squash posted:

I thought it was generally the play to just stack them all in the cap? I have heard some people allege there's an event limit, but I thought that was generally considered false.

I can almost guarantee that the way Dominions works there's a point of diminishing returns per province, and some nerd out there is sitting on an optimization function solved for that inflection point.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, that sounds far too close to game balancing.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's not a designer crunching those numbers, it's a player in this very thread

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
optimizing the location of your firebirds seems like thinking too hard

just make more firebirds earlier and spread them out a bit so you don't get chumped by something like remotes or a surprise cap siege

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 113

:ughh:

God drat it. I hosed up the math!

Retrospective to follow in the next couple days.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

How are u posted:

Turn 113

Hahaha, this is my favorite turn yet!

Congrats on winning and on finishing an amazing LP!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Grats on the victory!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:angel:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

How are u posted:

Turn 113

How are u : great at Dom4, less so at Dom4 LPs.

Entertaining as gently caress regardless, man, this was great and congrats on the well-earned win!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

God can't count

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Great read, and tough to finish a dom LP. Thanks for the trip!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
This is a Dominions 4 LP ending if i have ever seen one. Haha! Congrats on the win!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Congrats on the win! Good to finally see a Dom thread finish.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

Turn 113

Life comes at you fast.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
What a great ending! :allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually finishing a dominions LP is already a huge accomplishment, but having played some Dom4, I know that it pales in comparison to actually finishing a game of Dom4: and even that is minor compared to playing to victory a game of Mo Money Dom4.

Spectacular.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Well, I guess the spell doesn't say summon vampire count...

But seriously congratulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A winner is you!

Good job on winning the game. Dom4 is fiendishly difficult because of how arcane and tedious it can be. I've only won a single game ever, and that was in a newbie game on dom3 ten years ago; and I only won because the only other remaining player agreed to call it a tie.

• Locked thread