Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

bennyfactor posted:

THE TRICKY TRIANGLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTF3fsYTxE

I love the fact that there's been actual cases of foxes on the track TWICE for races at that track, and their mascot is....a fox. haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XOLvedxBg

This is the video you show your non-racing fans about why you love Indycar so much and why they need to think about checking it out.

I was most surprised by JR's onboard shot in the middle of the video, where he gets caught in a bad downshift and his head jerks forward. That was a "woah" out-loud moment for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch this another 52 times.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dentist toy box posted:

That's what the bus stop is for though.

Does Indy run the bus stop?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

Does Indy run the bus stop?

yes, everything fast runs the bus stop

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bourdais cleaned to return... does dale bump someone? Or will he pony up for three cars, despite a horrible season with like 5 damaged tubs?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maybe work out a deal to put one of the drivers in the 7?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's kinda depressing that I see people on twitter go right to "jet dryer" when Montoya's name is mentioned. (No one here, just idiot "nascar only" fans on twitter).

I kinda think of him as an IndyCar and F1 driver first, foremost. Guy's won two Indy 500's, was a National Driving Champion in 1999 (his rookie season), won the Monaco GP, raced for McLaren, Williams...and even won the 24 Hours of Daytona 3 times.

Hell perhaps most important? His dominance at the 2000 Indianapolis 500 probably ended the split. His return in 2014 actually again helped return it's credibility. (prior to that? he was critical and had no interest in returning to the series).

To me it's kinda like if someone associated the 88 Daytona 500 with Petty's entire career or something. My first thoughts when I think of him are of him in the Target sponsored Reynard, Lola, G-Force or the BMW Williams cars.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
He's the modern day Kevin Coogin' it seems :(

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does it really matter what anyone who supports and/or watches NASCAR thinks? Cause they don't think. Hell, Montoya is probably way too dark for their tastes anyway and they would have preferred if he really wedged himself into that jet dryer and burnt to a crisp much like this cross soaked in acetone tehy're about to light on fire on Darrel Wallace Jr's front lawn as a "final warning". Nothing but racists and racist enablers, gently caress them all.

Montoya owns.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/897859662283812864

Saavedra in the 7 for Pocono and Gateway. Probably wise not to throw Wickens or another fresh face to the wolves like that.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Saavedra in the 7 for Pocono and Gateway. Probably wise not to throw Wickens or another fresh face to the wolves like that.

Yeah this was a no-brainer pick, my guess is that we'll see Wickens in some driving capacity at either Sonoma or Watkins Glen (hoping for the Glen)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I don't think Indy would be too keen on Oriol getting tapped for the remaining races.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Does it really matter what anyone who supports and/or watches NASCAR thinks? Cause they don't think. Hell, Montoya is probably way too dark for their tastes anyway and they would have preferred if he really wedged himself into that jet dryer and burnt to a crisp much like this cross soaked in acetone tehy're about to light on fire on Darrel Wallace Jr's front lawn as a "final warning". Nothing but racists and racist enablers, gently caress them all.

Montoya owns.

Watching Montoya race cup was frustrating.

It was a major drop off to see a guy who had been competing near the front with Schumacher, Alonso, Raikkonen (loving! loving RAIKKONEN WHAT A gently caress EEEDIOT!), and such for race wins, now racing mid pack or crashing out in Cup.

Plus (unfortunately like you said) a lot of Cup fans who disliked him or were indifferent to him because he didn't come from the typical background that they were accustomed to. It was a really poo poo time for open wheel stateside. I'd watch Cup and get frustrated because I'd be like "This guy is really good. My brother and I were fans. Why in the gently caress is he even bothering with this?"

The whole "open wheel star to do NASCAR" fad is thankfully dead. I mentioned in another thread how it really started with Christian Fittipaldi and it kept getting worse, and worse. I think we will one day Hamilton, and Ricciardo do Daytona, but man...at least things are back to relatively normal in that regard.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alonso coming over and doing Indy really sold me on the series in a lot of ways. I never thought I would ever enjoy an oval race in my life since anytime I'd sit down and try and watch one it was horribly boring and poo poo. But Indy was a lot of fun and so was the other oval race that I can't remember which but was after Indy with the pack racing.

It made me realise ovals aren't poo poo.

NASCAR, its fanbase and stock cars are the real garbage.

Open wheel cars on ovals is hella exciting. So I hope Alonso did open up the gates a little bit and we'll see more European open wheel drivers look to Indy as a real thing rather than what the MLS is to European soccer. The new cars look really exciting from the current fat ugly ones too. The product itself seems to be going towards a good direction and I'm glad I'm not really biased against it anymore.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Alonso coming over and doing Indy really sold me on the series in a lot of ways. I never thought I would ever enjoy an oval race in my life since anytime I'd sit down and try and watch one it was horribly boring and poo poo. But Indy was a lot of fun and so was the other oval race that I can't remember which but was after Indy with the pack racing.

Open wheel cars on ovals is hella exciting. So I hope Alonso did open up the gates a little bit and we'll see more European open wheel drivers look to Indy as a real thing rather than what the MLS is to European soccer. The new cars look really exciting from the current fat ugly ones too. The product itself seems to be going towards a good direction and I'm glad I'm not really biased against it anymore.

There was a nice little span from the 80's until 1995 where there was a great deal of back and forth between IMSA and Indy, Indy and F1, etc.

Then you know...the 12 year pissing war happened and that kinda screwed things up for a while. My sincere hope is we return to the days of Villeneuve, Montoya-types crossing the pond and Mansell, Fittipaldi-types doing the same thing. I think they benefited both series from a talent stand point. Hell even recently they've benefited from it. I realize that Sato wasn't winning races over in europe, but his career in Indy has been a net positive for the sport. Dude got Indycar featured on a downtown billboard in Tokyo, met his prime minister and such.

And I'll tell you? Alonso's got "it" when it comes to racing on ovals. I was impressed with how deep he was into turns and how aggressive he was in traffic. I was glad I paid the money to sit in Turn 3 to see the man at work.

I'll defend Stock Car racing as well. The product the 90's and 2000's was really fun. UP UNTIL THE CAR OF TOMORROW. That...really hosed things up.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was impressed with how deep he was into turns

https://twitter.com/mariolejandro/status/869302443674411008

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I kept making jokes with the people I went with that he was driving liking loving AJ Foyt or something.

Sure as poo poo wasn't "gentleman". He wanted to win that drat race and he really could have too.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I honestly thought that moment was the moment he went from "fast rookie with a small chance to win" to "real contender".

I'm honestly excited for the upcoming years of open wheel racing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sorry to post so much but I've been watching the "Empty box" videos on the history of modern AOWR history and am really fascinated with three particular cars.

-The Interscope IR01 (AJ Foyt lobbied USAC to pretty much ban from using it's particular engine)
-The Lotus 96T
-The Ferrari 637

It's kinda sad how CART was so adverse to the concept of "works" cars because the latter two would have been quite the sight to see taking on Penske, Newman Haas and such during their heydays.

It also makes me kinda bizarrely sad because man I'd kill to wake up to see twitter blowing up with an announcement that Ferrari or Porsche announced their plans to conquer Indianapolis.

Scuderia Ferrari America seems like some incredibly awesome fever dream.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 17, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

WELCOME COMRADE!!!

I'm hardly the biggest oval fan here, and I did enjoy '90s NASCAR before their massive TV contract meant they started messing with things too much. But. This is 2017, and the above is the correct answer.

Also, every time I get curious and try to watch a NASCAR race (usually Daytona or the upcoming Darlington throwback race) I'm reminded just how utterly insufferable the typical NASCAR TV production is. It is the dirt loving worst.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

WELCOME COMRADE!!!

I'm hardly the biggest oval fan here, and I did enjoy '90s NASCAR before their massive TV contract meant they started messing with things too much. But. This is 2017, and the above is the correct answer.

Also, every time I get curious and try to watch a NASCAR race (usually Daytona or the upcoming Darlington throwback race) I'm reminded just how utterly insufferable the typical NASCAR TV production is. It is the dirt loving worst.

It's still not as bad as Sky F1.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

It's still not as bad as Sky F1.

I'll agree to disagree if we can compromise that Murdoch-run sports outlets are the absolute dirt worst.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked me some NASCAR on FOX right up until 2006-2007ish. Actually even when it got bad it usually wasn't as bad as post-2007 NASCAR on ESPN.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Actually even when it got bad it usually wasn't as bad as post-2007 ALL MOTORSPORTS on ESPN.

Fixed for you

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

I'll agree to disagree if we can compromise that Murdoch-run sports outlets are the absolute dirt worst.

Fox Sports once tried to groom Gus Johnson to be their star soccer commentator. You will get no disagreement from me.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked me some NASCAR on FOX right up until 2006-2007ish. Actually even when it got bad it usually wasn't as bad as post-2007 NASCAR on ESPN.

"And Ohio State will be forced to punt.."

-cue NASCAR on ESPN music-

"AND TOMORROW FROM KANSAS SPEEDWAY IT'S THE RACE FOR THE CHASE. PARDNER, WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO WIN TOMMOROW?"

(PUTS UP GRAPHIC FEATURING THE CHASE GRID)

"WELL MY DRIVER IS JIMMIE JOHNSON. EVEN THOUGH WHO THE HELL AM I FOOLING THAT ANYONE WATCHING THIS TELECAST IS GOING TO BE WATCHING CUP INSTEAD OF THE BEHEMOTH THAT IS THE NFL TOMORROW"

KingShibby posted:

Fixed for you

When ABC Sports died? ESPN's interest in even remotely covering AOWR died with it. The writing was on the wall the moment they fired Paul Page and were running segments about how the "Indy 500 is overrated" on a few "countdown" shows.

e: I -wish- they could have found a suitable partner in 2008 or so. But Open Wheel was at it's literal lowest point and NASCAR was at it's peak, so good luck trying to get someone to bite on that outside of the two deals they had on the table

(Versus/ABC Sports or Direct TV with an "IndyCar" channel that would be exclusive to them)

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 17, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

"And Ohio State will be forced to punt.."

-cue NASCAR on ESPN music-

"AND TOMORROW FROM KANSAS SPEEDWAY IT'S THE RACE FOR THE CHASE. PARDNER, WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO WIN TOMMOROW?"

(PUTS UP GRAPHIC FEATURING THE CHASE GRID)

"WELL MY DRIVER IS JIMMIE JOHNSON. EVEN THOUGH WHO THE HELL AM I FOOLING THAT ANYONE WATCHING THIS TELECAST IS GOING TO BE WATCHING CUP INSTEAD OF THE BEHEMOTH THAT IS THE NFL TOMORROW"

lmao yeah gently caress those idiots for trying to get people to watch the programming they paid a ludicrous amount of money for. morons

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

lmao yeah gently caress those idiots for trying to get people to watch the programming they paid a ludicrous amount of money for. morons

It's a time honored tradition, yes. I mean during old Indianapolis 500 telecasts you have Paul Page talking about how some golf tournament was next on TV , "THE WORLD BOWL" would be on next sunday, etc.

That's not the point though. The point was how they're awkwardly trying to act like Brad Nessler and Kirk Herbstrait watch NASCAR. Nobody bought that. Christ, there was a joke made by guys covering the Giants-Steelers game on some NBC affliate in New York last sunday and those people thought that "MONSTER CUP" was "Monster Trucks". That's far more believable to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My favorite is still the time Sam Posey is going on about "The Ten Commandments", I think airing after an LBGP.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I liked them hawking lovely made for tv movies in the middle of race broadcasts in the 90s.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143246-2018-floor-drives-indycar-underbody-downforce-increase
Marshall Pruett talks about the underbody downforce for the 2018 car, and includes some really pretty closeup photos of the new aero bits.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-needs-proactive-fans-to-revive-its-appeal-to-the-masses-942170/
Commentary writing from David Malsher lamenting the lack of good atmospheres for many Indy races.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/08/17/horner-f1-could-follow-indycars-lead-use-v6-twin-turbo-engines/
Semi-related, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner believes F1 will move to a twin-turbo V6 design like Indycar.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Nothing wrong with the hustle, that's their job and business. Doesn't mean I have to like it. The entire NASCAR on FOX aesthetic is awful.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bentai posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-needs-proactive-fans-to-revive-its-appeal-to-the-masses-942170/
Commentary writing from David Malsher lamenting the lack of good atmospheres for many Indy races.

I like how the fans in the header photo are all wearing red hats, and presumably got comped tickets to go to the race.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Nothing wrong with the hustle, that's their job and business. Doesn't mean I have to like it. The entire NASCAR on FOX aesthetic is awful.

Whatever do you mean by that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHv7nxuY_Rw

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

considering it's Pocono this weekend, over/under on foxes?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

That article by Malsher is amazing and there's no reason for any Indy car fan within a few hours of a track to not attend at least 1 race a year.

quote:

For years we’ve read comments from a sizable section of series loyalists about how oval racing is vastly superior to streetcourse racing because it’s faster, there’s more passing and you can see far more of the track – valid reasons, all. But are those same critics actually prepared to make an effort to attend their nearest oval IndyCar race?

Ovals, particularly superspeedways, do have one almost insurmountable problem, which is that they are unsuitable for the majority of support series that happily join IndyCar at road and street courses.
:rip: Fontana

Also, David Malsher is the man
https://twitter.com/DavidMalsher/status/898004350001270785

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's a time honored tradition, yes. I mean during old Indianapolis 500 telecasts you have Paul Page talking about how some golf tournament was next on TV , "THE WORLD BOWL" would be on next sunday, etc.

"Coming up next, the JC Penney LPGA Skins Game. Will Laura Davies make it two in a row this year?"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

"Coming up next, the JC Penney LPGA Skins Game. Will Laura Davies make it two in a row this year?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDWMvE7uAo&t=159m0s

not the one you're referring to but another good one.

I know -exactly- the one you're talking about. It's so weird to see that dip into various classic Indy 500s. The scene in "Ricky Bobby" where they sign off and tell viewers that "ICE DANCING FROM THE HITS OF MOTOWN" is the most accurate racing-related scene in that movie.

Seriously it's even mentioned before the last true Delta Force intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWexcqiB3w&

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDWMvE7uAo&t=159m0s

not the one you're referring to but another good one.

I know -exactly- the one you're talking about. It's so weird to see that dip into various classic Indy 500s. The scene in "Ricky Bobby" where they sign off and tell viewers that "ICE DANCING FROM THE HITS OF MOTOWN" is the most accurate racing-related scene in that movie.

Seriously it's even mentioned before the last true Delta Force intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWexcqiB3w&

I think it was this one that I (poorly) remembered

https://youtu.be/K1kGTazJEV0?t=2h23m12s

"Annika Sorenstam has four skins" :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

considering it's Pocono this weekend, over/under on foxes?

thats not how over/under works

• Locked thread