Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Professor Bling posted:

This. And now the resurgent extremist fringe of the Republican party can point to this as Trump turning "lieberal" and abandoning True Republicanism, with Bannon pushing that narrative until the cows come home.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea that saying existed in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Senior Editor at Breitbart

https://twitter.com/joelpollak/status/898595085247324161

Interesting times ahead.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/898598473016016896

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 18, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm more inclined to believe Bannon left for his own benefit. No one is getting poo poo done under Trump.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dbannon.

The D is silent.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Buzzfeed reporting that Mueller is focused on Trump Jr.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/aramroston/special-counsel-focuses-on-trumps-son?utm_term=.vtDnZYOq7#.bqVol2bNm

Also Pod Save America has an interview up with the Vice reporter who did the Charlottesville piece. She's been reporting on them for over a year now and has some really nice insight.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

While Bannon quit/firing was happening, Trump approved elevating CYBERCOM.

quote:

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has approved a long-delayed Pentagon plan to create an independent and more aggressive cyber command in order to beef up cyberwar operations against the Islamic State group and other foes.

The White House announcement Friday means U.S. Cyber Command may eventually be split off from the intelligence-focused National Security Agency.

For now, Trump has agreed to raise the stature of Cyber Command within the military and give it more autonomy.

“This new Unified Combatant Command will strengthen our cyberspace operations and create more opportunities to improve our nation’s defense,” Trump said in a written statement. “The elevation of United States Cyber Command demonstrates our increased resolve against cyberspace threats and will help reassure our allies and partners and deter our adversaries.”

Making cyber an independent military command will put the fight in digital space on the same footing as more traditional realms of battle on land, in the air, at sea and in space. The move reflects the escalating threat of cyberattacks and intrusions from other nation states, terrorist groups and hackers, and comes as the U.S. faces ever-widening fears about Russian hacking following Moscow’s efforts to meddle in the 2016 American election.

The goal is to give Cyber Command more autonomy, freeing it from any constraints that stem from working alongside the NSA, which is responsible for monitoring and collecting telephone, internet and other intelligence data from around the world — a responsibility that can sometimes clash with military operations against enemy forces.

Sen. John McCain praised the move, saying the administration must now develop a clear policy and strategy for deterring and responding to cyber threats.

Kenneth Rapuano, the assistant secretary of defense for homeland defense, told reporters Friday that elevating the status of Cyber Command will give it a bigger voice in advocating for resources to fight cyber threats.

The plan has been languishing since last year when then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter sent a proposal to President Barack Obama to make Cyber Command an independent military headquarters and break it away from the NSA. At the time, he believed that the NSA’s desire to collect intelligence was preventing the military from eliminating IS’ ability to raise money, inspire attacks and command its widely dispersed network of fighters.

After Trump’s inauguration, officials said Defense Secretary Jim Mattis endorsed much of the plan. But debate over details dragged on for months.

Officials say the Pentagon plan sent to the White House calls for Army Lt. Gen. William Mayville to be nominated to lead Cyber Command, although that has not been announced. Leadership of the NSA could be turned over to a civilian.

The U.S. has long operated quietly in cyberspace, using it to collect information, disrupt enemy networks and aid conventional military missions. But as other nations and foes expand their use of cyberspying and attacks, the U.S. is determined to improve its ability to incorporate cyber operations into its everyday warfighting.

The NSA, however, has a great deal of expertise, and officials acknowledge it will take some time for a more independent Cyber Command to get up to speed. Until then, Cyber Command and NSA will operate under a single, “dual-hatted” military commander. The cyber operation currently relies on the NSA’s expertise, staff and equipment.

The two highly secretive organizations, based at Fort Meade, Maryland, have been under the same four-star commander since Cyber Command’s creation in 2009.

But the Defense Department has been agitating for a separation, perceiving the NSA and intelligence community as resistant to more aggressive cyberwarfare, particularly after the Islamic State’s transformation in recent years from an obscure insurgent force into an organization holding significant territory across Iraq and Syria and with a worldwide recruiting network.

While the military wanted to attack IS networks, intelligence objectives prioritized gathering information from them, according to U.S. officials familiar with the debate. They weren’t authorized to discuss internal deliberations publicly and requested anonymity.

Cyber Command was created by the Obama administration to address threats of cyber espionage and other attacks. It was set up as a sub-unit under U.S. Strategic Command to coordinate the Pentagon’s ability to conduct cyberwarfare and to defend its own networks, including those that are used by combat forces in battle.

Officials originally said the new cyber effort would likely involve hundreds, rather than thousands, of new employees.

Since then, the command has grown to more than 700 military and civilian employees. The military services also have their own cyber units, with a goal of having, by Sept. 30, 2018, a total of 133 fully operational teams with as many as 6,200 personnel.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/trump-approves-plan-create-independent-cyber-command/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we're gonna get cyberwar and space branches of us military lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

While Bannon quit/firing was happening, Trump approved elevating CYBERCOM.

They stumbled on an ironically good idea.

Also, this video, a simple video recap of a newsreader on CNN describing the last four weeks, is a reminder of how insane things currently are. It's a scrolling list that takes 2:43 to read out loud.

https://twitter.com/DaniellaMicaela/status/898611122533683202

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

*Oompa loompahs enter Situation room, knock bottle of whiskey out of Bannon's hand and begin sliding him across the table by his hands & tie*

Oompa loompah doopity doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa loompah doopity dee
If you're "alt-right" you'll listen to me

What do you get when you hate all the JEWS?
And own the biggest white supremacist NEWS?
Fight with the president's son-in-LAW.
Can your own cock fit DOWN. YOUR. JAW?
That's. Some. Flexibility.

Oompa loompah doopity dee
Handjobbing Nazis; a bad strategy.
Back to the private sector with you,
Unlike the oompa loompah doopity doo!

*Ooompa loompahs swing from ceiling fans and tumble back to the ground before crowd-surfing Bannon out of the room*

DOOPITY DOO!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I was wondering when JFCOM was coming back.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus Christ I love you Arnold

https://www.facebook.com/attn/videos/1475398805828907/

Arnold posted:

Your Heroes Are Losers

Also:
https://twitter.com/simonwiesenthal/status/898373188668674048

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It exists in German? You're making GBS threads me.

Well, I've learned something today.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Like Bling just said... I'm more surprised thats not a uniquely American saying. Specifically a mid-western one.

facialimpediment posted:

They stumbled on an ironically good idea.

Also, this video, a simple video recap of a newsreader on CNN describing the last four weeks, is a reminder of how insane things currently are. It's a scrolling list that takes 2:43 to read out loud.

https://twitter.com/DaniellaMicaela/status/898611122533683202

To be fair. She left off "created the first mutually agreed upon opinion in the Middle East in the last at least 2000 years".

Which is kinda an accomplishment. Except that the opinion is "Nazis are bad and so is the president who supports them".

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bad politician

better in every way than Trump

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Professor Bling posted:

You're making GBS threads me.

This is very German.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There are rumors that Gorka may be on the way out too.

Chaos reigns.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MA-Horus posted:

There are rumors that Gorka may be on the way out too.

Chaos reigns.

i don't think gorka is actually employed by the WH is he?

is he just not invited to sleepovers anymore?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Has there ever been a president who has had so much turmoil or gone through as many staffers as Racist Orange?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Syrian Lannister posted:

Has there ever been a president who has had so much turmoil or gone through as many staffers as Racist Orange?

not really a fair question since there have only been two presidents

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This has been the best loving week ever. Though, Bannon is really just a mid-boss in the greater scheme of things, it's good to see him go.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I thought he was a independent consultant, like Mindy from The West Wing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Syrian Lannister posted:

None of the states have tried to secede yet, he hasn't been forced to resign following an espionage scandal and he hasn't blockaded a neighbouring country over nuclear brinksmanship. The bar for presidential turmoil is set pretty high.

On the other hand, he's six months into a four year term.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Gorka couldn't get a security clearance so he was never invited to the important sleepovers.

But Bannon was the one keeping Gorka/Miller/Hahn employed. Likely Gorka is getting kicked out by Kelly, Hahn will leave to follow her master. Miller will drink himself to death or someone will finally catch him burying a dead hooker and he will be forced to resign.

Then the alt-reich will collectively poo poo themselves as the last gasp of life leaves their lungs with a cry of MAGA.

Edit:

Deathy McDeath posted:

This has been the best loving week ever. Though, Bannon is really just a mid-boss in the greater scheme of things, it's good to see him go.

What?

No.

Outside of Kushner and Ivanka, Bannon was the biggest player in the White House. There is a reason everyone kept calling him President Bannon.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

bad politician

better in every way than Trump

In fairness it was California...No one can fix that.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

loving perfect

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

BigDave posted:

I thought he was a independent consultant, like Mindy from The West Wing.

Intel analyst with ties to brietbart and alt right groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Gorka

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

:lol: Gawd drat

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Friend of mine reposted this on facebook, of course you had idiots crawling out of the woodwork to say how wrong it was and "WHATABOUTBLMANTIFA??!?!?"

I touched the poop cause gently caress anyone playing whataboutism with Nazis.
This was my favorite part (I'm Mario)

Also, buying the gently caress outta that shirt.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

we're gonna get cyberwar and space branches of us military lol

Probably not. More than likely it will become similar to JSOC in terms of independence and funding. Each of the branches benefit from maintaining their own internal electronic warfare/red team assets, so there's no real reason to make it a separate branch.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/kalpenn/status/898547257062174724

read the first letter of each paragraph.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus Christ that lame as poo poo.

The gold standard is still the Arnold gently caress you veto message.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 18, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Jesus Christ that lame as poo poo.

Yeah, should have gone for "W DID 9/11".

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Didn't spell "PISSTAPE" therefore I give it 2/10

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
why does the US Gov't always wait til Friday at 4:55PM to pass a budget?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
To prevent people from looking into it in depth

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Alex Jones is in Seattle, and someone threw coffee on him.

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/898568874395934721
(confrontation starts around 3:40)

When it was brought to Seattle PD's attention via Twitter, they had this to say:

https://twitter.com/SeattlePD/status/898648339293421569

:drat:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

I love the fact that Melania's name is the top name listed on the left, even if she probably doesn't even realize she's an honorary member.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Republican strategy. Scream about how terrible government is and that the " " " " free " " " " market is the answer while pocketing fat checks from that market. Then when you get governmental power make good and god drat sure government doesn't work, by doing stuff like turbo tucking the budget in the most chaotic way possible.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

suboptimal posted:

When it was brought to Seattle PD's attention via Twitter, they had this to say:

https://twitter.com/SeattlePD/status/898648339293421569

:drat:

Seattle PD in the study with a candelabra.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

REEEEE market

• Locked thread