Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Tiggum posted:

Won't any butcher do that?

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

No, a lot of times they only have one meat grinder which only gets used for beef. Anything else they would have to break it down, sanitize it, then grind the (not beef), then clean it again

Yeah. Big grocery chains, etc., do cut their own meat, but will usually never cut it to spec. What's in the cooler is what you get. The place down the street from me is probably 1200 square feet, and does a fairly brisk business. He'll occasionally stop in at a bar I go to and grab a beer or two, and I asked him how he handles the "special stuff". I don't know about the grinders, but with steaks, he keeps a quarter cut side in the cooler, and will cut any cut off that quarter however you want it. Apparently he only keeps one quarter for special cut steaks. So, if you want that 2 inch thick strip, or T-Bone, you gotta get there early before he uses it all up. He always has a good supply of regular cut stuff on hand in the cooler though. He does charge a small "surcharge" for special cut stuff which I have no problem paying. It's a really nice place, that I try to buy from as much as possible.

I really do want to try to smoke my own bacon at some point though, so I'll hit him up some day for a pork belly (which he special orders). Just gotta build that smoker first.

E: Oh poo poo. New page. Here's some content after googling "poo poo food":

Looks like schwarma to me, but might it be a turd?

BlankIsBeautiful has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I like my grocery store here because they regularly have 1.5-2 inch thick dry aged ribeyes and tbones ready to go every day. It costs like 20 euros per steak but it's worth it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Looks like koobideh. There used to be a place near my work that sold it, great stuff despite the appearance.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Is it a pizza, or is it a sandwich?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

canis minor posted:

Looks like an unfolded taco to me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

canis minor posted:

Is that some kind of opulent food truck french bread pizza? :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

canis minor posted:

It doesn't look like anything to me.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Looks like a panini, which (at least here, I'm sure some italian goon is going to be horrified by my description) is pizza toppings on a long bread piece, put in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Looks good too, I would.

On the pizza vs sandwich issue I suppose it's pizza? Or at least missing the other samdwich half...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

canis minor posted:

I often wish that people would take ease of eating into account when coming up with food ideas. Like I am sure that thing is good, but there is no way dude isn't going to be wearing most of it if he eats it like that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jiru posted:

Looks like a panini, which (at least here, I'm sure some italian goon is going to be horrified by my description) is pizza toppings on a long bread piece, put in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Looks good too, I would.

On the pizza vs sandwich issue I suppose it's pizza? Or at least missing the other samdwich half...

I'm not an italian but i'm pretty sure a panini is supposed to be a grilled sandwich. That is not a sandwich.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm not an italian but i'm pretty sure a panini is supposed to be a grilled sandwich. That is not a sandwich.

It's an open-faced sandwich, aka a pizza.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah, a panini is a specific type of grilled sandwich, typically cooked in a "panini press", which is basically an expensive George Foreman grill.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/Hoyatexas/status/898632520043864065

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ladies and gentlemen we have arrived at peak trader joes

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jiru posted:

At least in my area that is more a stromboli, which is a subset of hot grinders.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Usually grilled in a special sandwich press, IIRC.

EDIT: f;b

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Samizdata posted:

At least in my area that is more a stromboli, which is a subset of hot grinders.

I stand corrected, then. Good to know!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

He does make a good frozen pizza though. Just stay away from the weird things like tuna pizza and the american style ones and it's really good if you like thinner, crispier pizzas instead of the fluffy doughy ones like digiorno.

The tuna pizza is good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Samizdata posted:

where do you live? i've always heard "stromboli" used to refer to a pastry that is folded over or rolled into a spiral, with cheese and meat on the inside. like, on the family tree of pizza-esque foods, a stromboli would be much closer to a calzone than to a panini or a flatbread

edit: also wtf, how are you comparing that thing to a grinder/sub/hoagie, like at all

Lutha Mahtin has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Aug 18, 2017

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

But it's Trader Joe's so it's probably good

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

New thread title please

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

That's a kebab. Shawarma is meat shaved off a vertical spit.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Is that some kind of opulent food truck french bread pizza? :allears:

Yes - it's a pizza baguette :) I was reminded to bring it into this thread as was talking to a colleague at work, and she had it when visiting Kraków, but couldn't remember how it's called (it's called zapiekanka btw).
It consists generally of bread roll, mushrooms, cheese and ketchup (but can have ham/sausage, other toppings added as well). It's mostly a drunk food.

Here's what polish pizza looks like:

It differs from italian pizza as we make it with hard cheese, so the top will be crispy, while the dough will be soaked with fat from the sausage toppings (the sausage is also grated, not cut, so again, it will start getting crispy). Generally - there aren't many ingredients in here that remained whole, as everything is shredded to pieces.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

canis minor posted:

Looks like a terrible idea.

You need a way bigger container for that, good lord.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hecha con KitKat

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

That's a kebab. Shawarma is meat shaved off a vertical spit.
:wrong: Shawarma, doner(kebab), gyros and al pastor are all shaved meat from a spit

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

hecha con KitKat
where's the second hand? there's already a ring..

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

The world is full of vegans, vegetarians, and normal people

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

Stromboli is supposed to be basically a pizza folded like a quesadilla.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

When I lived in Texas I came to prefer veggie chorizo on my queso dip. Normal (Mexican) chorizo in breakfast tacos, but veggie on my cheese. It’s the spices that do most of the work, while the thymus glands and other parts are there for texture mainly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's funny because The Gay Nineties was a nostalgic term coined in the 1920's for the 1890's. Now I wonder if that was an actual sundae from that age or if they were just making poo poo up for the sake of the name.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

That's funny because The Gay Nineties was a nostalgic term coined in the 1920's for the 1890's. Now I wonder if that was an actual sundae from that age or if they were just making poo poo up for the sake of the name.

According to Wikipedia ice-cream sundays were invented in the 1880s-1890s, so it makes sense.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I don't care what they called it. Sign me the gently caress up and shove that entire sundae into my big, fat mouth

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nickhimself posted:

I don't care what they called it. Sign me the gently caress up and shove that entire sundae into my big, fat mouth

hell, same

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

That is not a sandwich.

Ahem.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the sauce is soylent

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

canis minor posted:

Here's what polish pizza looks like:

It differs from italian pizza as we make it with hard cheese, so the top will be crispy, while the dough will be soaked with fat from the sausage toppings (the sausage is also grated, not cut, so again, it will start getting crispy). Generally - there aren't many ingredients in here that remained whole, as everything is shredded to pieces.

Wanna eat that 'za

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I hear the lead adds a certain subtle sweetness to the dish.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

cyberia posted:

Wanna eat that 'za

Wanna make that 'za, any specific recipes out there for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I demand Chorizo Rules. "Our Soy Chorizo has no cholesterol and 60% less fat than traditional chorizo." What the gently caress.