Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My dad installed a curtain on one of his kitchen cabinets in a house he rented when I was a child. The landlord wouldn't allow him to install a cat flap so he removed a section of the floorboards underneath one cabinet and installed a plank ramp to the ground below (the house was on a slope and had no siding on the crawlspace, so easy access for cat). The curtain stopped the draught while allowing cat in and out at will.

Before he moved out he put the floorboards back in place and re-mounted the cabinet door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

FCKGW posted:

An acre of land for $95k idgaf what the house looks like, goddamn

It's in the middle of nowhere.
You can get 53 acres nearby for $172,900

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...517_rect/11_zm/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

FCKGW posted:

$1200-4500/acre in northern Idaho.

Catch is you just have to live in Idaho.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gounads posted:

It's in the middle of nowhere.
You can get 53 acres nearby for $172,900

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...517_rect/11_zm/

at least the other one has services

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

I know where I can get you 10 acres for that.

How do you feel about defunct mining operations?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

I dig 'em.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

there wolf posted:

I know where I can get you 10 acres for that.

Usually the buyers just get the shaft.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

At least this time we are not digging deep for the puns.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
And with that, hopefully they'll be tailing off.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

nmfree posted:

And with that, hopefully they'll be tailing off.

Nah, this is a rich vein, we're not punning for gold here.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Close thread, goldmine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tangy yet delightful posted:

The actual people building the house are getting the same $X/hr without regard to how expensive the land underneath may be. 2x4s are still the same price etc.

Now the project manager/GC should be caring more since they are likely getting paid more but...lol

As a contractor, no. We use better people when the budget allows, it just makes everyone's lives easier. Higher budgets have higher standards, so we like to hire the guys who get it right the first time.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

StormDrain posted:

As a contractor, no. We use better people when the budget allows, it just makes everyone's lives easier. Higher budgets have higher standards, so we like to hire the guys who get it right the first time.

Glad to be wrong on that one, and that's good to know :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

You would think that the economics of house building would work out that it'd be cheaper to hire the people that don't gently caress up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You would think that the economics of house building would work out that it'd be cheaper to hire the people that don't gently caress up.

Not when there's no consequences to the gently caress ups.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Usually the buyers just get the shaft.

Lake on property. Started out as a real pit, but with some additions from the previous owners, it's now anything but basic.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's only so many of those guys in town, for starters. Also, piece work is really common in construction. You tell a dude 'I'll pay you fifty bucks to do that', and he gets fifty bucks for it regardless of how many times you have to tell him to fix it. The worker still tracks his hours, and you work out what his hourly pay for that chunk of time is when you pay him (because everything government-related is in $/hour). If that goes below minimum wage, you still have to pay him minimum wage, but now the dude is at the top of your 'replace this guy' list. If it goes into overtime, you figure out the flat time rate for whatever piecework he did in overtime, and you pay time and a half on that rate.

That's all if you're an above-board contractor. If you're not, then the only hours going on his time card are the ones you think it should have taken, and overtime mysteriously never happens. That's one of the ways wage theft happens in construction, and it's always an open secret among construction workers in town as to who will engage in that kind of dicking-around. That circles around to point one--especially in a hot building market, some companies will find it completely impossible to hire good workers because they've been effectively blackballed by every skilled guy in town.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

KillHour posted:

"I want my house to look like the hipster coffee shop downtown but we have to use my Grandma's old furniture." - The person that owns this house

fuckin lol look at the location there is no "hipster coffee shop downtown" in East Buttfuck, Louisiana

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

InediblePenguin posted:

fuckin lol look at the location there is no "hipster coffee shop downtown" in East Buttfuck, Louisiana

yeah West Buttfuck really got gentrified first

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

:staredog:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
He calls it "The Chomper".

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

From Tumblr, via reddit
http://capstonecompany.com/property/19197-river-apt-c-athens-ohio-45701/

Sure you might die in a fire, but $675 for 2400 square feet!
Although for $150 more you get windows http://capstonecompany.com/property/19197-river-apt-b-athens/
And for $2,200 you get the rest of the mansion http://capstonecompany.com/property/19197-river-apt-a-athens-oh-45701/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm honestly failing to see what's so bad bout that if the price is right.

It's the helps quarters, and the thing in the kitchen is a gigantic wine rack, presumable because this is the kitchen that the help cooks the family meals in and stores the wine.

Yes, whoever built a place this recently set up that way was watching too much Downton Abbey, but it's not terribly out of the ordinary for an old family estate. The strangest part is how new it is.......

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It'd be a really depressing place to live with the current set-up, but if you were able to decorate and repaint it might be nice. Definitely a misleading picture, though.

Do you still get access to the pool? NGL, that'd influence me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd live in that place like a muthafucka. I paid 640/month for a sleazy assed motherfucking place that was like 1/8th the size of that with a moldy rotten assed bathroom and a cokehead landlord that was constantly waking me up at 3am with loud obnoxious 1980s hair metal. I was there for 11 years.

gently caress, for that matter, I paid 220,000 for a condo, thats 1/5th the size of that joint. My mortgage is almost twice what that rent is.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It wouldn't be that bad if the bathroom was built in a corner of the bedroom, but gently caress going that far through those tunnels every time you need to pee at 3 am.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Motronic posted:

I'm honestly failing to see what's so bad bout that if the price is right.

It's the helps quarters, and the thing in the kitchen is a gigantic wine rack, presumable because this is the kitchen that the help cooks the family meals in and stores the wine.

Yes, whoever built a place this recently set up that way was watching too much Downton Abbey, but it's not terribly out of the ordinary for an old family estate. The strangest part is how new it is.......

There are no windows so it is almost certainly an illegal domicile and you will die a firey death. But besides that all those HVACs will probably make it quite loud (and without windows you've got serious carbon monoxide risk), you have to travel through two loooong dark hallways and a 50-foot room if you need to pee in the middle of the night,. and since the mechanicals are all in there repairmen have to go into your apartment to fix anything above you.

As for how new it is, per one of the Reddit comments Terry A. Anderson built it with the multi-million settlement from the Iranian government after his release from 6 years imprisonment. He went bankrupt some years later and lost the property. The basement was strictly a wine cellar/storage/mechanical area, was not used as living quarters for servants/maids and did not have a kitchen/bathroom until it was turned into an apartment.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
The floor plan makes me think there's a window in the bedroom and an exterior door just outside the bathroom. It also shows a sink in the utility room; seems like a shame not to have built a half bath in there. A big unknown would be how sound travels between the basement and the much more expensive ground floor. The higher rent is going to win those arguments.

It's a fifteen minute drive from Ohio University. For a college student or two that's a hell of a deal. Put up bunkbeds and curtains in the big space and now we're talking highly illegal death trap.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

It wouldn't be that bad if the bathroom was built in a corner of the bedroom, but gently caress going that far through those tunnels every time you need to pee at 3 am.

Chamberpots are gonna make a huge comeback

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Twinkie Czar posted:

The floor plan makes me think there's a window in the bedroom and an exterior door just outside the bathroom. It also shows a sink in the utility room; seems like a shame not to have built a half bath in there. A big unknown would be how sound travels between the basement and the much more expensive ground floor. The higher rent is going to win those arguments.

It's a fifteen minute drive from Ohio University. For a college student or two that's a hell of a deal. Put up bunkbeds and curtains in the big space and now we're talking highly illegal death trap.

There are a bunch of other enormous apartments from that same management company that have actual windows (but are probably death traps in other ways). It's southeastern Ohio, rent is cheap.
i.e. a 2000+sf basement apartment in Athens for $690 http://capstonecompany.com/property/7997-rolling-hills-apt-b-athens-ohio-45701/

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Yeah, that might seem like a great deal, but it would be depressing as gently caress to live in. Every room has an HVAC either in it or right next door, only bathroom is a long walk from anywhere in the apartment, one window in the entire apartment... some of you are massively underestimating the need for natural light in your living environment. It's cheap, but there are much better places (with windows!) for just as cheap - you could get a four bedroom house for that in Athens.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ahhhhhhhhh. I've been using a really nice ring saw to cut tile for a few months now and haven't touched anything wood related in a while. I'm going to kill myself when I go back to it.

I did take some big maples down yesterday that were right up next to my neighbors house with a come along, missed the house AND the garage. Free wood!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

For lefties that hate people borrowing their tools.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I find myself strangely drawn to a floorplan that puts my bedroom at the end of a crazy long hallway. I won't argue for one second that it's practical/good design, it just seems.... den-like?

Wait, am I a furry for wanting to live in a warren?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Slugworth posted:

I find myself strangely drawn to a floorplan that puts my bedroom at the end of a crazy long hallway. I won't argue for one second that it's practical/good design, it just seems.... den-like?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slugworth posted:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slugworth posted:

uh

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

ahhhhhhhhh. I've been using a really nice ring saw to cut tile for a few months now and haven't touched anything wood related in a while. I'm going to kill myself when I go back to it.
Ring saws are awesome, I use mine for rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Slugworth posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just some backwards memories from the future, where retreating deep inside caves and basements is the only way to get rest without the risk of a radiation storm frying you up. You're just dreaming of better times.