Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
That always confused me, since you get a note and I think a message telling you to install a neuromod but there isn't one in your room. Unless I've missed it 3 times in a row!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The message is from just before you are literally following the instructions during the character select screen

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

I think he's talking about the one in the actual simulation right at the start. IIRC it won't let you leave your room until you pop it. It doesn't count though, because there's nothing in it, you just stab yourself in the eye for no reason

I just started a new game last night, and this is not something that happened to me. You don't ever have to inject anything during gameplay

To leave your room you just have to put on your suit, not inject something

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

QuarkJets posted:

Like double nine said, if you're doing a no neuromods run (aka No Needles) then the crossbow can be used to open a few rooms by shooting little foam darts at computer screens or door buttons to activate them.

For cyst nests I just lob a typhon lure but the darts work there, too

Speaking of, I finished my No Needles run and to celebrate and I'm doing a doomguy human-powers-only run because those mods are so drat good :banjo:

Human only powers are so loving good. They make a typhon only run seem feeble and pointless in comparison. I mean, if the human track is indicative of human potential vs. the typhon, I don't see how they're a significant threat at all.

Vib Rib posted:

You don't take any neuromods at the start of the game. Allegedly you took one the night before, though.

They were blank neuromods that did absolutely nothing. Which is why removing them didn't reset your memory from the incident.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 16, 2017

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Alien only is fun so far, it takes a little longer to feel OP which makes it tense and exciting. Not being able to upgrade your inventory sucks but you don't really need as many materials or guns.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I feel like Typhon only would be ace... if you could get the scientist perks that make your psi pool better and psi hypos not suck.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

just inject psychic particles into the water supply and never worry about psi hypos again

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, rushing that seemed like the only way to make it playable, but doesn't that only become available fairly late in the game? It took me a long time to stumble on it, anyway.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

same, probably somewhere around power plant I think? But there's no reason you couldn't go down there as soon as you access the arboretum

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I think you can access that quest as soon as you get to the GUTS. Otherwise yeah after the arboretum.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

aniviron posted:

Yeah, rushing that seemed like the only way to make it playable, but doesn't that only become available fairly late in the game? It took me a long time to stumble on it, anyway.

No, actually you can go there fairly early, instead of Arboretum go other way in GUTS, pop out in the locked section of the cargo bay, go through a door to life support.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah completely on accident I ended up hitting that up before I ever got to the Arboretum. Very possible to do it very early.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I'm real early in the game and I've just fought one of my first phantoms. The problem is that during the fight it endd up clipping out of the station and is sitting right outside the station staring at me. Is there a way to reset the enemies so they return to their correct spots? I've looked through all my autosaves and none are from before the fight.

EDIT: I was able to hit it with some kind of finisher move with my wrench through the window.

Spaseman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 17, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I just bought this having played a bit of demo and it being half price.

Did that gun just turn into a loving mimic?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't remember any part like that, but, I mean, they're mimics. They can turn into anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yes it stands to reason, it was directly opposite your office, the real one was round the corner.

I suppose I just didn't expect the pickups to try to kill me. Maybe I shouldn't have started on nightmare.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Lol yeah that one really got me the first time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also note to self, they didn't spring for the super glass on the sixty foot tall bridges.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

OwlFancier posted:

Also note to self, they didn't spring for the super glass on the sixty foot tall bridges.
If you're talking about the things in the lobby, those are art pieces, not bridges! Don't walk on them!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also the actual bridges have glass floors that break super easily

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

OwlFancier posted:

I just came to post about the discount and pc demo.

Discount runs till august 29th.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Also the actual bridges have glass floors that break super easily

it's pretty funny when you can lure a phantom there and shoot out the bottom though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Replaying the game, and got to GUTS. I've been following the plot provided path up until then, but since this is my second playthrough I decided to deviate from the normal path because why not?

After finding Dalton under the pipes, I decided to float down to the cargo bay because I never explored this area before. The fight with the weaver, technopath, and it's corrupted drones is loving brutal man. At one point I repaired some turrets that were sitting in a cargo container and floated them around to fight for me, and the technopath sucked them away like 80 feet down the GUTS hallway. A big ole "gently caress you!" as they whizzed past me at Mach 5.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

trying to make the turrents point the right direction in the guts is a huge pain in the rear end

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TWIST FIST posted:

trying to make the turrents point the right direction in the guts is a huge pain in the rear end

Yeah, this is actually the reason why I eventually just floated them out there and deployed them. They started shooting, but one got destroyed pretty quickly when the weaver spawned the cysts and the other one got sucked up and away by the aforementioned technopath.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

From what I've read a fair number of players are using turrets as a crutch. Some people talk about meticulously crafting kill zones before entering a new room. But turrets aren't actually that good. Against small things you don't need them and against big things they're practically useless, or worse than useless in the case of technopaths. NPCs (or maybe I read it in an e-mail?) even attest to this fact, pointing out that the turrets are actually garbage but they've got to make do with what they have. A fully upgraded Shotgun on the other hand is insanely good, but the security staff on the station don't know how to upgrade their weapons into Insane Killing Mode. Even on nightmare difficulty a shotgun with full damage upgrades will one-shot mimics and phantoms at point blank, and it will knock the better phantoms onto their rear end for a quick finish. The stun gun is the other insanely good weapon, as it incapacitates anything actually threatening long enough for you to kill them without taking damage.

Now I still fix turrets as I find them, but I don't go out of my way to move them around to new areas unless I'm screwing around, because that can still be fun.

Also, that area in the GUTS that you guys are talking about? The best strategy is to just fly up to the weaver and zap it with your stun gun, ideally when its back is turned to you. And even if you get blasted with a wave of cysts, you can just heal through that and kill the weaver anyway. The turrets in that area are a useless trap; I fell for it on my first playthrough but never again. If flying into point-blank range at the weaver sounds too risky try one of these other options

1) Throw a null wave grenade at it
2) Use Psychoshock on it
3) Throw a big piece of garbage at it, then hide behind the garbage with your stun gun fully charged until you're within range

Doing any of the above mitigates the Weaver's ability to do anything, giving you the chance to stun it. Then you can kill it super quickly with the Q-Beam or the shotgun (Weavers are somewhat squishy).

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Those turrets in the GUTS did pretty well for me on my first playthrough, when I null waved the weaver and technopath.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah I just wound up null waving the Weaver and shotgunning him at point blank range. EMP grenades took care of the technopath/corrupted bots, but those were a little trickier.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Turrets are alright but wow you need a lot to have them survive more then one Phantom. Even worse is if the Phantom uses a ranged psi attack and knocks the thing over.

Reinforced turrets however, are beastly. Three reinforced ones can take on a whole room and come out OK. (unless they get knocked over!)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I get that this game has a plot or something but frankly I'm enjoying it as some kind of larcenous spider monkey simulator where my immediate response to a new area is "how can I climb up to the roof and steal everything not nailed down?"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
You guys make me want this game so bad even though I have a huge queue of stuff already.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's pretty neat. Good if you like exploring, given that the difficulty I'm on makes it quite hard to kill things.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

So I get that this game has a plot or something but frankly I'm enjoying it as some kind of larcenous spider monkey simulator where my immediate response to a new area is "how can I climb up to the roof and steal everything not nailed down?"

I played this game and Night in the Woods back to back, and they're my favourite games of the year for completely opposite reasons. Prey's plot is... okay. It's good in that it serves as an effective hook to allow you to do all the amazing gameplay stuff it has to offer, but it's not special in terms of storytelling. Night in the Woods was the opposite, and really highlighted the interesting way in which games can be so different yet still be great; NITW has effectively no gameplay, but the story was so good that I kept going anyway. It just highlighted for me how Prey uses the story as a tool for the gameplay instead of the other way around like NITW.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I am dumb enough to use my controller on the pc in Prey. It was great in my first playthrough, but I reinstalled and now my interaction is limited to computer screens and other electronic terminals, unless I reach to my keyboard. Is there a way I can fix this? Verifying in steam and reboots have not yet availed me, it's a xbox 360 controller on windows 10.

Also I want to arm all the humans I come across with fully upgraded spare artillery.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

mysterious frankie posted:

You guys make me want this game so bad even though I have a huge queue of stuff already.

There's a pc demo on steam now, and a discount until afaik the 29th.

Join us.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

I moved Prey to the top of my huge queue and I don't regret doing that at all, it's GOTY and probably going to be one of those long-lasting classics that people are still talking about next decade

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

QuarkJets posted:

I moved Prey to the top of my huge queue and I don't regret doing that at all, it's GOTY and probably going to be one of those long-lasting classics that people are still talking about next decade

I just bought this, even though I still have like 3... decades... worth of Witcher 3 content left and a big list of games waiting. I just want to have it in my possession and $30 wasn't such a bad impulse purchase price.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing about Prey is that it has a pretty gripping intro and then before you know it the systems have unlocked and your recycling and murdering and looting and questing.

Get Prey, it's very good, even considering a kinda weak ending sequence. Bioshock and System Shock both have bad endings and they're both seminal FPS experiences, Prey is better than both of those, at least in terms of gameplay. Prey's weaknesses are lack of enemy diversity and the ending. Some people think the weapons are boring and while I disagree, I do think they lack the oomph of dedicated deathmatch games like DOOM, like they have low feedback, but otherwise they are all fun to use.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I picked this up in the sale and it's great so far. One thing I'm not crazy about, though, is how aggressively enemies are added to areas I've previously cleared. I've only played a few hours but pretty much everywhere I've been has multiple phantoms that weren't there before. I can't quite figure out how terrified I should be of phantoms, because by nature I tend to hoard in games -- I installed Hacking I, for example, but haven't installed any other neuromods yet. I've also found a bunch of weapon upgrades but I haven't used any of them yet because I'm afraid of making a wrong choice. I've read a bunch of this thread and it seems like I don't need to do that as long as I commit to specific neuromod and weapon paths so hopefully combat is about to get easier. So far I only have a wrench, a silenced pistol, a GLOO gun, and a couple of EMP grenades. I kill most things with a wrench, but I try to avoid fighting phantoms whenever possible and have had to either immobilize them with GLOO to wrench them or shoot them with a pistol (or occasionally employ a turret).

Am I supposed to still feel very weak? I've just gotten back to my office after fixing the server.

On the way back there I started finding mimics and phantoms that look... electrified? and that are labeled "???" instead of "Mimic" or "Phantom." They do seem to be a bit tougher, but while I Googled a little and saw that there are voltaic phantoms or whatever, this doesn't seem to be that, right? What exactly am I looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

guppy posted:

Am I supposed to still feel very weak? I've just gotten back to my office after fixing the server.

On the way back there I started finding mimics and phantoms that look... electrified? and that are labeled "???" instead of "Mimic" or "Phantom." They do seem to be a bit tougher, but while I Googled a little and saw that there are voltaic phantoms or whatever, this doesn't seem to be that, right? What exactly am I looking at?

Yeah it's normal to feel weak at the beginning.

No that's exactly what those are. You can't identify them until you get an item later on. The mimics are just electrified by the nearby phantom, thankfully there are no electric mimics normally.