Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

There's nothing "right wing" about confessions of a mask except the guy who wrote it, but Mishima was mostly apolitical at the time, he wrote it when he was still a Todai student singing bar songs and loving around. It's a book about a gay guy talking about jerking off and being confused. Did the person who made this list even read the books?

And why is Plato there? Isn't Republic basically a description of a society without slaves?

none of those alt right 4chan guys actually read anything, they get all their opinions from youtubes made by fat men named after ancient near eastern kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

none of those alt right 4chan guys actually read anything, they get all their opinions from youtubes made by fat men named after ancient near eastern kings.

yo did you ever see the time he got into a fight with an actual academic on camera? It owned.

EDIT: Also if you are gonna rep Mishima for right wing bullshit at least rep loving Runaway Horses which is literally a romantic portrayal of right-wing terrorism ffs.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 17, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Reading Mishima just makes me wish I was gay, it certainly doesn't make me want to become a right winger because of what a bummer he makes that out to be.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Hamsun is my favorite fash man

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
gave up on karamazov after 20 pages, poo poo's as boring as the bible, going on and on about all these family members. started the peregrine instead and holy wow is that good. such deliciously beautiful words, and also i love birds. i wonder how he can keep this up for a whole novel but am excited to find out.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
karamazov is insanely good and the ending leaves you wanting more

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i will give it a second try then after i finish this bird book and also after i give ulysses a second try. I already gave karamazov ten times as many pages as i usually do because c&p was so good, but I will give it more on your recomendation!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

tbh i read it like 10 years ago and i can barely remember what happens in it except for when i got to the end i was like "what that's it? but its just getting started! '"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hey there Lit thread, I only have one third of a brain (missing Brodman areas 24 thru 41 inclusive) and was wondering if any of you have good book recommendations, thank you, lovingly CestMoi

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Sounds like you are finally ready for Aquarium by David Vann

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CestMoi posted:

Hey there Lit thread, I only have one third of a brain (missing Brodman areas 24 thru 41 inclusive) and was wondering if any of you have good book recommendations, thank you, lovingly CestMoi

what kind of books do you like. maybe if you are missing brain parts you would enjoy name of the wind by patrick rothfuss

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm reading Crime and Punishment after starting and stalling on Karamazov and War and Peace. It's really good and I'm gonna read Anna Karenina and W&P after

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like Crime and Punishment is the best of the Russian classic novels imho

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
could be, could be

what about oblomov or dead souls though

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Much like posters in the Quit Being A loving Child and Read Some Real Literature thread, the great Russian novels all fulfill different niches, and are each beautiful and special in their own way.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
if dead souls is a novel, then dead souls is the great russian novel, without question

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
dead souls 2/10 title sounds spooky but is actually just about serfdom

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

chernobyl kinsman posted:

dead souls 2/10 title sounds spooky but is actually just about serfdom

we are all serfs under the yoke of capitalism

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've made the joke in this thread that I could never finish Dead Souls because of Ornstein and Smaug like five times now and no one has ever laughed at it and that hurts my feelings.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Nothing for me beats when Levin meets Anna in Anna Karenina.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

derp posted:

i will give it a second try then after i finish this bird book and also after i give ulysses a second try. I already gave karamazov ten times as many pages as i usually do because c&p was so good, but I will give it more on your recomendation!

It took me a long time to break through The Brothers Karamazov. There's a lot of front-loaded exposition about who everybody is and what their backgrounds are, but once I finished the third section it finally clicked with me.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've made the joke in this thread that I could never finish Dead Souls because of Ornstein and Smaug like five times now and no one has ever laughed at it and that hurts my feelings.

You've already read the best parts of the book. Quitting at that point means you don't have to deal with the section written in invisible ink.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Solitair posted:

You've already read the best parts of the book. Quitting at that point means you don't have to deal with the section written in invisible ink.

Yeah I heard the final part is really rushed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was gonna make that exact joke but thought better of it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Reading The Sorrows of Young Werther. Werther's an insanely melodramatic stupid gently caress and it's great.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I once laughed at it but didn't post about the fact that I laughed about it, so I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Belgian posted:

Reading The Sorrows of Young Werther. Werther's an insanely melodramatic stupid gently caress and it's great.

pls dont kill yourself

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Belgian posted:

Another book in that vein if you're hankering for more(emotional guy kills himself over a girl) is Last Letters of Jacobo Ortis, except that the guy in that one is also emotional because Italy isn't a country yet.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I finished Nabokov's Ada and I have to say that may have been the best book about a man loving his sister I've ever read.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Heath posted:

I finished Nabokov's Ada and I have to say that may have been the best book about a man loving his sister I've ever read.

have you heard of the epic works of George RR Martin

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Also I'm on page 200 of Crime and Punishment and only continuing to read it because I feel I should. I've lost a lot of the early interest I had in it, and I'm quite bored. Perhaps time to move on from it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

cool forums poster Derp parody

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I picked up War and Peace and I'm giving it up because it's too heavy and i don't like the look the guy on the cover is giving me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I couldn't put War and Peace or The Brothers Karamazov down, I got really sucked in reading those two. I had to put a post-it note with the brothers' full names on the book's cover for easy reference though because I kept forgetting who is who because of the way they're addressed by the author. Crime and Punishment is on another level though, when I first read it I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks, I revisit it every few years.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Not knowing that Dimitri is Mitya is like not knowing that Bill is Will

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Send help I'm trapped in a supermarket aisle with 2 bottles labeled Alyosha and Alexei

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle the protagonist states that one of his skills is being able to recite all the Karamazov brothers' full names from memory and I was like well, poo poo so much for the 4th wall.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

In The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle the protagonist states that one of his skills is being able to recite all the Karamazov brothers' full names from memory

Murakami microcosm

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

imo all characters should be named after the concepts they allegorise, like in Piers Plowman where you have catchy names like "Do-right-so-or-thy-dame-shall-thee-beat" or an even longer one which goes on for three lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

pls dont kill yourself

Please no spoilers I haven't finished it yet!!

A human heart posted:

Another book in that vein if you're hankering for more(emotional guy kills himself over a girl) is Last Letters of Jacobo Ortis, except that the guy in that one is also emotional because Italy isn't a country yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sound good, I'll read it next time I'm in the mood for reading about whiny idiots.