Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

I don't know why in the gently caress you would want to watch Netflix on a 720p screen anyways.

My Switch is hooked up to a TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The eShop trailers etc work ok for me most of the time (I find it more reliable and less stuttery/buffery than the WiiU eShop anyway). It might be nice to have a Netflix app whenever Netflix get off their arses, but I don't think I'd be too bothered if they didn't.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Just noticed on Nintendo's page for Sonia Mania there's a "Buy physical" link. Confirmation of the leaks?

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Just noticed on Nintendo's page for Sonia Mania there's a "Buy physical" link. Confirmation of the leaks?

It probably means the Collector's Edition, which is technically "physical" but doesn't include a cart (still download only).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guy Goodbody posted:

My Switch is hooked up to a TV

Every TV made in the past 150 years has approximately 1.3 billion other ways to watch Netflix.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dumb TVs still definitely exist, but a chromecast is almost definitely a better choice than hoping for a switch app in the next year. they're like $30, just pretend it's a special app that puts netflix on HDMI2.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I know we have a lot of Seattle goons. Are these things still impossible to find around here?

It's my birthday Sunday and I'm also on a plane for five hours that day and I'm debating going looking for one. I know Amazon had them yesterday but shipping wouldn't have gotten it here by when I leave and they're sold out now anyway.

Bonus points if I could find a neon one.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

fyi my dudes the joycon AA boosters are still on sale for :10bux: x2

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XXXK2X/

I got them and the feel nicer in muh grubby paws vs stand alone. If you freeball the joycons consider these.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

The eShop trailers etc work ok for me most of the time (I find it more reliable and less stuttery/buffery than the WiiU eShop anyway). It might be nice to have a Netflix app whenever Netflix get off their arses, but I don't think I'd be too bothered if they didn't.

I've had no issues watching any eshop videos except that fire emblem warriors one last week, I tried about ten times and it kept buffering or stopping....

Loving sonic mania, I missed the sonic jumping noise, the tails dying noise (because he just bombs around like a a maniac whilst sonic tries to get shut done) and freeing the little animals!

Sonic drowning noise and the out of air countdown music are still the worst sounds ever.

Looks and plays great in handheld mode.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

well why not posted:

dumb TVs still definitely exist, but a chromecast is almost definitely a better choice than hoping for a switch app in the next year. they're like $30, just pretend it's a special app that puts netflix on HDMI2.

Agreed, Chromecast is cool and much faster and easier than using TV or console apps. My parents have a Netflix app on their TV and it makes me rage about how slow it is...just get a Chromecast....

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Junkie Disease posted:

Jackbox on switch doesn't stream to twitch so playing online is a no go. Sadly streaming it without unplayable lag is nearly impossible on pc as well.
So being on a solid portable makes the switch version KING.

It's not as though any of the Jackbox games (except for YDJK itself I guess) is really reliant on timing, the timers on all the other games are long enough where a 5-10 second delay isn't a problem and all the relevant information you need would show up on your mobile device anyway.

I've played along with the devs on their Twitch stream a couple of times and never had any problems.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

I love You Dont Know Jack. But I need some clarification on multiplayer. It says its local multiplayer, but then it also says that up to 10,000 audience members can play along, and that it can be enjoyed over streams with remote players? I want to be able to play this with more than real life buddies.

The way Jackbox games work is that you use your phone/tablet/other device with a web browser as your controller.
You use your device connect to the Jackbox server at jackbox.tv and put in the room code that is given to you on your PC/console, then everything relevant to you as a player is streamed from their servers to your device.
Each game usually allows for between 4-8 players, but anyone who connects after the initial 4-8 players, or after the game has started, goes into the "audience" pool, where you can answer questions for fun, vote on / rate players' answers, and otherwise indirectly interact with the game.
There are a couple of games where the audience also counts as a collective player, and gets points based on what percentage of the audience gets a question right.

This allows you to stream your game on Twitch or whatever your favorite streaming solution is, and people can play along or join the audience since they can join the game just by knowing your room code.
The slight drawback, of course, is that internet is pretty much required to play any of the games.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
But only local internet. I cant play a game with my pals all over the country

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

^^^^
What? Of course you can play with people all over the country, anyone on the planet who has an internet connection and a way to see your screen can play.

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, Konami were real shits to their game devs. After they dumped Kojima, they also issued legal sanctions against the people they dropped along with him from using Konami as a reference to future employers, or otherwise using any of the work they did there as work history.

Please don't buy Konami titles.

What the gently caress? I know the legal system in Japan is kind of hosed up, but how is that legally enforceable?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

raditts posted:

What the gently caress? I know the legal system in Japan is kind of hosed up, but how is that legally enforceable?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/konami-reportedly-blacklisting-ex-employees-across-japanese-video-game-industry/

e: Basically they're pulling strings with other companies and also threatening to sue anybody who goes in front of the press.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 18, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

raditts posted:

^^^^
What? Of course you can play with people all over the country, anyone on the planet who has an internet connection and a way to see your screen can play.

Wait so I can play the full game in my room alone with 6 friends all in different places across the country the same way I play with them all in the same room? I thought you had to be local network'd otherwise you were limited to just spectating

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GoldfishStew posted:

Wait so I can play the full game in my room alone with 6 friends all in different places across the country the same way I play with them all in the same room? I thought you had to be local network'd otherwise you were limited to just spectating

Nope. As I mentioned a few posts up, the jackbox devs do a twitch stream 1-2 times a week where they host games and people can join in.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I have yet to watch a single video from the eshop that wasn't stuttery and required constant buffering so I think i'm okay with having no streaming apps thanks.

That's weird, all the eshop videos I've watched have been perfectly fine.

deadly_pudding posted:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/konami-reportedly-blacklisting-ex-employees-across-japanese-video-game-industry/

e: Basically they're pulling strings with other companies and also threatening to sue anybody who goes in front of the press.

Wow. Why are all the devs that ruled the 8/16 bit era total loving trash now?

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 18, 2017

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I think I'm in trouble with Binding of Isaac. It's gotten a grip on me and it's the only game I play now...

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

raditts posted:

Wow. Why are all the devs that ruled the 8/16 bit era total loving trash now?

Nintendo still seems good imo

idk if we'd call id software in the same category but I'd say they're good again

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

My switch controller is dropping out and it's driving me mad. Link is falling off all sorts of places. Am I sending it back to Nintendo for fixing or is there another solution? I've moved the console so it's in line of sight etc, still happens. How does this happen to hardware in 2017.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bull3964 posted:

I don't know why in the gently caress you would want to watch Netflix on a 720p screen anyways.

It would look fine on that screen size plus it would presumably output at 1080p on a tv. I'd wager a ton of Netflix content is 720p anyway too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

My switch controller is dropping out and it's driving me mad. Link is falling off all sorts of places. Am I sending it back to Nintendo for fixing or is there another solution? I've moved the console so it's in line of sight etc, still happens. How does this happen to hardware in 2017.

They had a bad batch in the initial run, basically. Apparently the fix is as simple as jamming a little square of conductive foam into the joycon housing near the wireless transmitter. Nintendo had mine back within like 5 business days when I sent it in to get fixed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd wager a ton of Netflix content is 720p anyway too.

There's very little, if any, 720p content on Netflix. If it's not SD (in the case of old TV shows) it's 1080p or 2160p.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bull3964 posted:

There's very little, if any, 720p content on Netflix. If it's not SD (in the case of old TV shows) it's 1080p or 2160p.

I meant to say streams at 720p since everyone has Comcast and it sucks.:v:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

They had a bad batch in the initial run, basically. Apparently the fix is as simple as jamming a little square of conductive foam into the joycon housing near the wireless transmitter. Nintendo had mine back within like 5 business days when I sent it in to get fixed.

I got my Switch after they supposedly fixed it and it still has that problem. How do I send it back?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

incoherent posted:

fyi my dudes the joycon AA boosters are still on sale for :10bux: x2

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XXXK2X/

I got them and the feel nicer in muh grubby paws vs stand alone. If you freeball the joycons consider these.

I actually got these but I'm returning them since they felt uncomfortable compared to just plain

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I got my Switch after they supposedly fixed it and it still has that problem. How do I send it back?

Call Nintendo support, describe the problem, and they'll set up a repair.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Call Nintendo support, tell them you're having desync issues with your joycon, and answer their mandatory questionnaire to confirm that your Switch is at least 4 feet away from other wireless devices or aquariums, and they'll email you a prepaid shipping label and instructions.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Anyone know of any third party docks that are out or will be out before mario xcom? I would rather not pay 90 bucks for another official dock, mostly because I just don't like them.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

EpicNemesis posted:

Anyone know of any third party docks that are out or will be out before mario xcom? I would rather not pay 90 bucks for another official dock, mostly because I just don't like them.

I too hate the thing I think about 0% of the time.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

OK time to talk chargers:

I thought I read something about Apple USB type C chargers loving up or giving the Switch error messsages. I'm trying to figure out what I should buy for charging my Switch on the go/on a plane. I currently own a 29W Apple USB Type C power adapter and was going to grab a C to C cable and call it a day. Would it be better to buy a second Nintendo plug adapter, like the one that comes with the system? Would it be better to get the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, Ultra-High Capacity Premium Portable Charger, 20100mAh?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

I know we have a lot of Seattle goons. Are these things still impossible to find around here?

It's my birthday Sunday and I'm also on a plane for five hours that day and I'm debating going looking for one. I know Amazon had them yesterday but shipping wouldn't have gotten it here by when I leave and they're sold out now anyway.

Bonus points if I could find a neon one.

I saw one at a Fred Meyer last night. It was gray, but I saw a neon one a different time. Just make it a habit to drive around to different ones fairly often. I don't think they have an online inventory tool, so when they get some it takes time for word to get out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

I thought I read something about Apple USB type C chargers loving up or giving the Switch error messsages. I'm trying to figure out what I should buy for charging my Switch on the go/on a plane. I currently own a 29W Apple USB Type C power adapter and was going to grab a C to C cable and call it a day. Would it be better to buy a second Nintendo plug adapter, like the one that comes with the system? Would it be better to get the Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C, Ultra-High Capacity Premium Portable Charger, 20100mAh?

Anecdotally, my 60w charger seems to have worked okay with my switch but now you've got me worried :ohdear:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

raditts posted:

Nope. As I mentioned a few posts up, the jackbox devs do a twitch stream 1-2 times a week where they host games and people can join in.

I'm definitely going to have to get this.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

GoldfishStew posted:

Since you have one a C-C cable should be fine. IIRC the 29W charger charges the Switch fine, the 60W Apple charger crashes the dock in a weird way but otherwise charges the Switch normally, and the 81W charger crashes both (and the switch has to be hard rebooted to charge again). Neither the Apple chargers nor the Switch are fully USBC/USBPD compliant so that's as good as they get with each other.

I think the Anker USBC power bank only works via USBC if you hard power off and then power on the Switch while the USBC cable is connected to both or something.

Edit: Only the Nintendo charger and some Innergie brand USBC charger work with the dock so if you care, probably get a Nintendo charger. Otherwise lots of chargers are noncompliant but compliant enough to charge a Switch (but still the Nintendo charger is pretty cheap).

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Thanks. I don't care about charging the dock. That and the wall charger the switch comes with I plan on leaving at home. I guess I'll do a little more research and either stick with the Apple 29W and snag a C to C from Monoprice (do they make the best cables?) or get a 2nd Nintendo wall charger.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

RZA Encryption posted:

I saw one at a Fred Meyer last night. It was gray, but I saw a neon one a different time. Just make it a habit to drive around to different ones fairly often. I don't think they have an online inventory tool, so when they get some it takes time for word to get out.

Good to know. I'll swing by a couple of them on my way home. Thank you!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

parasyte posted:

I think the Anker USBC power bank only works via USBC if you hard power off and then power on the Switch while the USBC cable is connected to both or something.

I've never had an issue with mine, it's literally just plug in and go. The only think with the Anker is that you need to hit the button on it before you plug a C-to-C cord into it or it'll think it's supposed to be drawing power to charge itself, but that's the case with anything USBC and it's pretty clearly stated in the directions that come with it. And if you have a good A-to-C cord it's a non-issue, but those cords are the ones that needed a Google guy to sit down and test to see which ones were "good" or not so I try to avoid them just in general.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are the Jackbox games fun for 2 people or do you need a bunch of people to enjoy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I too hate the thing I think about 0% of the time.

I don't hate the thing, but I need another dock and don't want to buy a 90 buck dock I already don't like if there is a better and cheaper alternative. The only one I know of is the Nyko one but that comes out in October. I'm looking to grab a dock this week.

Thanks for the amazing thread input as usual you dirty amiibo pirate.

• Locked thread