Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He'd been pretty unwell for a while, hadn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well poo poo, me and a friend were joking he was some sort of deathless cyborg or secretly an android the other week. Guess we're both wrong now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There can't be that many of the old music hall guys left now, can there?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You're talking people who were active performers in the late 40s/early 50s. That's not a lot of people. Did Bruce even do Music Hall? I sort of see him as the step after.

Doddy? He might count.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd assumed he'd been in music hall and generally treading the boards for a while before he got his breakthrough on telly doing Sunday Night at the London Palladium, which was in 1958. (According to this RT article I was reading earlier, his first appearance on television was on a talent show in 1939 at the age of 11, when BBC 1 was itself three years old.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Christ, do not look at the photo of Ken Dodd on Wikipedia (I mean, you know, do. Because it's horrifying). It's from 10 years ago and he looks like a corpse then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen the BBC adaptation of the Scarlet Pimpernel (starring Richard E. Grant as Sir Percy) from around 2000? How is it compared to something like ITV's Hornblower?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

He appears to be turning into Miranda Hart

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Ken Dodd is alive? Always mix him up with the guy who died on stage.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You mean Tommy Cooper? dude was Welsh, wore a fez and was intentionally crap at magic as well as a bit of drunk?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Welsh people all look the same to me

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What I imagine the Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water probably looked like under his hood.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dodd is still doing shows that overrun by two-three hours iirc

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

ookiimarukochan posted:

He appears to be turning into Miranda Hart

James May has let himself go

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I liked the Bruce Forsyth episode of toast. And the way toast pronounced his name.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

mrfart posted:

I liked the Bruce Forsyth episode of toast. And the way toast pronounced his name.

It's the only way I can read it now

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Radio: listen to Iain Lee. And all the back catalogue. Calls straight-to-air is the funniest thing when people have a good gimmick.

Edit: here you go try these. They got better as the series went on and people realised what works and what didn't. By the end it was almost like an audio collage

https://iainleepodcasts.co.uk/triple-m/

thehustler fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 20, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

mrfart posted:

I'd buy a podcast that is basically Matt Berry in character reading wikipedia entries.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Any time I hear Matt Berry doing a commercial I instantly lose my ability to take whatever is being advertised seriously.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

McDragon posted:

Any time I hear Matt Berry doing a commercial I instantly lose my ability to take whatever is being advertised seriously.

God help the life insurance firm that will eventually hire him.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Bradley Walsh revealed as Doctor Who companion

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is he going to be Bernard Cribbins?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

i don't care but what?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was going to give the new Doctor a try, but gently caress Bradley Walsh. Second rate Butlins Redcoat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I dunno, I like him on The Chase.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think this is even confirmed yet, is it? Could well be a bit of a swizz. I mean, remember when Kris Marshall was definitely going to be the new Doctor a few months ago?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Bradley Walsh is quite literally the bargain basement version of Shane Ritchie. And Shane Ritchie can get hosed into the sun.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

New Bake Off on C4 in an hour, and initial reviews have been really good. Maybe Channel 4 didn't gently caress up the only good thing about Britain after all.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Brown Moses posted:

New Bake Off on C4 in an hour, and initial reviews have been really good. Maybe Channel 4 didn't gently caress up the only good thing about Britain after all.
It starts next Tuesday, not today :(

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

I may start watching Dr Who again for the first time in about 8 years if the Bradley Walsh news is true.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
New League of Gentlemen announced for bbc2. I hope they've still got it.

Brown Moses posted:

I've calmed down since I first learned about this and have decided to give it a chance.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'll give it a chance, it could be good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I hope with this new THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN talk the BBC put out a HD version of the show.

Also I forgot in the grand cast of characters how loathsome Pauline is.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 24, 2017

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

DrVenkman posted:

I hope with this new THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN talk the BBC put out a HD version of the show.

Oh my goodness, Pauline is a oval office!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I guess that means the Butcher will return.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

As in the original series' ? They were shot on video, so alas what you see is what you get.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
The Levison Wood travel documentaries on Channel 4 are so good at making me want to go to dangerous dictatorships because they look amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dead Goon posted:

Oh my goodness, Pauline is a oval office!

Free Ross

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
iPlayer status: still poo poo

In particular the option to rewatch a program from the beginning, working on my phone, but when chromecasting, instead switches to a random part of the Tattoo show. Plus the feature doesn't work on either PS3 or PS4, and finally I had to login to get it to work at all from my PC. Meaning now the picture quality is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

it's ok it's only the tattoo it's not a big problem

also yes, rewind consistently doesn't work on chromecast