Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Uglycat posted:

If you interpret accelerationism as 'nihilism that delights in chaos, and works ever toward it', I think you'll find you're straw-manning the viewpoint.

I see 'accelerationism' and 'incrementalism' as on the same gradient as 'conservatism.' Conservativism wants to keep things more or less the same. Incrementalism sees a better world, and wants to build on the present foundations toward that reality. Accelerationism, as I use it anyway, sees the present foundations as condemned, cracked and broken; needing to be cleared away to build a new, functional structure. Accelerationism has a time element, a sort of 'fuse'; for example, global warming. If these 400 parts per million really do put us beyond the brink... well, if there's any hope at all, that hope dwindles by the day. We need /significant/ change in our social structures and physical organization before /winter/. If that's the aim you're working for, and the options are Hillary vs. Trump... a rapid failure taking out the GOP and the Executive seems like the best bet for achieving that aim.

You can interpret terms any way you want to remain correct, but your interpretation differs from what most of the thread is talking about. I'm not talking about your idiosyncratic version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

How many more of these councils exist? Like we have a lot of councils that I have never heard of.

Kale posted:

I don't know man, no bail, murder 2, plus 5 additional charges laid today alone doesn't seem like a whole lot of leniency. I was expecting some limp dick vehicular manslaughter charge and bail opportunities cause he's only 20 or some sort of crap justification.

The no bail part is pretty great you know that rear end in a top hat try to run away or something. Or hurt someone else. It also means he has to spend time in prison before he's even sentenced.

You want to both feel disgusted and laugh? That man probably thought he was a hero when he took her life, he probably thought he'd be hailed as a hero. Instead, he's in jail, disowned by his own cause, and hated by everyone in this country including his own people. He's a sick bastard and I hope he never sees Freedom again.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Alex Jones performed his own false flag fukkin lmao I can't even

Kale
May 14, 2010

Covok posted:

How many more of these councils exist? Like we have a lot of councils that I have never heard of.

The no bail part is pretty great you know that rear end in a top hat try to run away or something. Or hurt someone else. It also means he has to spend time in prison before he's even sentenced.

You want to both feel disgusted and laugh? That man probably thought he was a hero when he took her life, he probably thought he'd be hailed as a hero. Instead, he's in jail, disowned by his own cause, and hated by everyone in this country including his own people. He's a sick bastard and I hope he never sees Freedom again.

How's he going to run without his lovely rear end murder car and no job anyway. Somehow I doubt this is a guy that did any sort of financial planning to have a nest egg either because he likely spent all his free time shitposting racist crap on the internet instead of saving for any sort of future if he fits the profile of your average Trump Youth.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Jaxyon posted:

You can interpret terms any way you want to remain correct, but your interpretation differs from what most of the thread is talking about. I'm not talking about your idiosyncratic version.

Your understanding could just as easily be a straw man, if my 'idiosyncratic version' does not match with your interpretation - but does represent many that you dismiss as 'accelerationist.' Do you really know people that eagerly voted for Donald Trump in the hopes he would cause as much /suffering/ (not bungling; /suffering/) as possible, to prompt people to revolution? I think Putin might be the only one aligned on that plan. Putin is your straw man accelerationist. But there's plenty of folk that were happy hillary didn't win, and happy & unsurprised to watch trump fail. Hoping plans emerge to alleviate all the suffering that /will/ follow from here; I know a lot of people working on it. But make no mistake - that suffering wasn't caused by the election of Donald J. Trump - they were caused by centuries of genocide, scientific ignorance, unchecked appetites, and all the things that led us to a world where the military industrial complex is protecting a fossil fuel industry that is destroying the planet we rest on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

You know, I was wondering why you was wearing a WWE shirt. I didn't think the guy runs a wrestling show. But that's great.

Also, is it fake wrestling? That term is sort of confusing to follow. Wrestling is an act performed by two actors for the amusement of an audience. It's not real, it's a very well done performance. Well when it is well done. Like if Mick Foley or Mark Callaway is in the ring. So, the term fake wrestling is weird.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Xibanya posted:

1st degree requires that the murder be premeditated, 2nd degree doesn't. For a prosecutor on this, 2nd should be a slam dunk to get. 1st would be really difficult unless the guy wrote about his intentions ahead of time.

Not really, you don't need the guy saying he intended to do it to prove pre-mediation. The guy pointing his car at a crowd and then accelerating several hundred feet into the crowd with adequate opportunity to stop is enough to prove premeditation.

As for bail, I don't know the state law, but there's a good chance he was statutory denied bail, such as no bail for felonies committed with deadly weapon or something

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Kale posted:

How's he going to run without his lovely rear end murder car and no job anyway. Somehow I doubt this is a guy that did any sort of financial planning to have a nest egg either because he likely spent all his free time shitposting racist crap on the internet instead of saving for any sort of future if he fits the profile of your average Trump Youth.

Likely not because he spent his money on a $40 000+ cuckmobile.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Covok posted:

So, the term fake wrestling is weird.

It's because it's not even really wrestling, he's part of a "pencil wrestling" league where super dorks are trying to break each other's pencil. They call it "wrestling" but it's not.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Uglycat posted:

Your understanding could just as easily be a straw man, if my 'idiosyncratic version' does not match with your interpretation - but does represent many that you dismiss as 'accelerationist.' Do you really know people that eagerly voted for Donald Trump in the hopes he would cause as much /suffering/ (not bungling; /suffering/) as possible, to prompt people to revolution? I think Putin might be the only one aligned on that plan. Putin is your straw man accelerationist. But there's plenty of folk that were happy hillary didn't win, and happy & unsurprised to watch trump fail. Hoping plans emerge to alleviate all the suffering that /will/ follow from here; I know a lot of people working on it. But make no mistake - that suffering wasn't caused by the election of Donald J. Trump - they were caused by centuries of genocide, scientific ignorance, unchecked appetites, and all the things that led us to a world where the military industrial complex is protecting a fossil fuel industry that is destroying the planet we rest on.

Okay no.

Karl Marx posted:

But, in general, the protective system of our day is conservative, while the free trade system is destructive. It breaks up old nationalities and pushes the antagonism of the proletariat and the bourgeoisie to the extreme point. In a word, the free trade system hastens the social revolution. It is in this revolutionary sense alone, gentlemen, that I vote in favor of free trade

This is basically the origin of accelerationist thought. You are confusing the concept of "accelerate the collapse of the system by tearing it down" with the actual philosophy of accelerationism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Uglycat posted:

Word salad.

Well, graphorrhea at any rate.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Uglycat posted:

Your idiosyncratic version doesn't match with any accelerationist I've ever encountered, but does match with many leftists I've encountered.

What's weird here is you trying to couch leftists as accelerationists in order to apparently win an internet debate on a comedy forum?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Uglycat posted:

Sir, I asked if you'd like fries with that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Glad it's not just me.

I feel like all the posts could be one or two lines but end up being paragraphs

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Being glad that the Fuckup In Chief is rapidly spiraling into total failure" isn't accelerationism, it's making the best of a bad situation.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WampaLord posted:

"Being glad that the Fuckup In Chief is rapidly spiraling into total failure" isn't accelerationism, it's making the best of a bad situation.

No that's accellerationism, you see

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

RuanGacho posted:

I'm trying to process the fact that the GOP seems to have less control of the narrative because they're in power. Not to say that they're not doing heinous poo poo in the background but Trump really does seem to be ruining their control of the narrative at all, which to PJs credit seems like a fine way to gently caress up some Narrativists

I mean a lot of it is that the Republican party under Reagan and Bushes is dead. There is a new party with the same voters and the same name, but the mechanisms that ran the old version are gone. They reinvented themselves as a party of opposition and no governance, as opposed to the party of small governance (which is a fine detail, they used to believe the government was useful as a means of enriching their donors with lucrative contracts, now they just want to starve the gently caress out of the government and pay their donors with tax cuts). They were completely prepared for another 4 years of opposing Hillary, because all of the systems and people that the Tea Party had put in place were all about that kind opposition theatrics. There is a reason why they were able to pass dozens of complete repeals of the ACA when they knew it has 0% of getting past Obama, but completely hosed up the second Trump came into power.

Like we've said it a lot, but the Republican party, as it currently stands is unable to govern at a federal level. They can get away with this starve the beast poo poo at the state and local level because the federal government it there to bail them out. But now that they have complete control, they don't have boogeymen to unite around, they can't keep doing symbolic poo poo, they need to lead and find a directions. And it is becoming increasingly clear that they managed to escape the desert that was 06-08 by stitching together a bunch of groups together under the common banner of "we don't like Obama" and now that they are in power, we're finding out that they can't agree on what Obama should have done.

They're doing serious damage to our country because the executive regulatory system has grown massively in power over the last 20 or 30 years, but at a legislative level, the fact that they are a bunch of smaller tents stitched together is becoming very clear.

In some ways, we saw a similar issue under Obama. There were a lot of centrist and even somewhat conservative democrats who got elected by cashing in on how much people hated Bush, and then once Obama was in control and they had majorities everywhere, they suddenly had to figure out how wrangle all of the cats, when previously screeching was enough.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sir, I asked if you'd like fries with that.

*leans over the driver*

IS THIS DAIRY QUEEN?! CAN I GET SOME STEAK FINGERS?!

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Jaxyon posted:

No that's accellerationism, you see

Accelerationism for some, little American flags for others!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jaxyon posted:

Glad it's not just me.

I feel like all the posts could be one or two lines but end up being paragraphs

Strictly speaking it isn't nonsensical enough to be true word salad, but I use the term because nobody would recognize the more accurate term graphorrhea.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
I mean, I don't have all yer privileged book-lernins, I'm just telling you how I've heard it discussed over the last year /living in camps with increasingly radicalized activists/

Covok
May 27, 2013

berserker posted:

It's because it's not even really wrestling, he's part of a "pencil wrestling" league where super dorks are trying to break each other's pencil. They call it "wrestling" but it's not.

What the flying gently caress? Ho-wh--seriously? Okay, what the gently caress? Listen, I've been a wrestling fan for years. I've seen a lot of gimmicks from cage to ladder to thumbtacks to weird-psuedo-horror-opening-videos to shocking a sockpuppet in people's mouthes to dressing up like the clown from Metalocalpyse, but this is just so lame and stupid.

Kale posted:

Dude was dumb, insane, and cruel enough to run down an innocent women for political reasons. He physically abused his mom over an argument on video games. He likely believes there is a global conspiracy against him personally run by members of the jewish faith. Don't underestimate the danger posed by an absolutely insane cock-a-about with nothing to lose in a country where you can buy a gun on every street corner.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Strictly speaking it isn't nonsensical enough to be true word salad, but I use the term because nobody would recognize the more accurate term graphorrhea.

I learned a word

Uglycat posted:

I mean, I don't have all yer privileged book-lernins, I'm just telling you how I've heard it discussed over the last year /living in camps with increasingly radicalized activists/

Nobody is dismissing your experiences. They're saying you're using a wrong term.

Which normally ends with "oh my bad, I mean this" but it's not and that's on you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just realized I blew a chance to combine "word salad" with the sir this is a drive-thru formulation and I'm super depressed by it.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Does anyone remember why that @IronStache guy got milkshake-ducked? I'm not following him on Twitter, and I assume I must have had a good reason for unfollowing him...

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Uglycat posted:

Cool. Then either they miscommunicated, you misunderstood, or they're trying to I guess reclaim the term? But basically anywhere else you use that phrase it's assumed you're talking about this specific philosophy of how to destroy the system, a philosophy (again, specifically accelerationism as understood here) that mysteriously regularly benefits the people arguing for it since they just so happen to occupy a position of privilege in the current system.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
^^^^ what this person said....if you start using that term around a lot of folks, even in the community you're in, you might end up having them think you're totally cool with their suffering and want it worse

Like, I didn't go to Leftist college and get a PhD in Leftology on a legacy scholarship or something, you're not the only person who lives/has lived with poor people, activists, and leftists.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Uglycat posted:

You know there's a italics tag in the forums functionality and there always has been, right?

Also is that a yes to a side of cole slaw?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

JVNO posted:

What's the typical lag for news stories to impact Trump's approval? The 538 model is not showing any sort of hit from Charleston yet that I can pick out.

About a week, give or take. Keep in mind, however, that the further his polls drop the further we're into the territory of his hard-core supporters. Once you pass 30% every fraction of a percent will require something truly unique, abhorrent, and undeniable in order to convince his supporters who up to that point had not yet been convinced. That's the important thing to keep in mind. His approval numbers are made of people who for whatever reason are looking at the current situation on the ground and going 'yeah this is actually cool & good'. So to get even a fraction of them to bail will take something even more messed up rather than just the status quo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:ironicat:

Real talk is Bill Mitchell that mentally damaged or is he just trolling now?
I find it hard to believe even Trumpland is that wierd of an alternate reality from ours.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Covok posted:

What the flying gently caress? Ho-wh--seriously? Okay, what the gently caress? Listen, I've been a wrestling fan for years. I've seen a lot of gimmicks from cage to ladder to thumbtacks to weird-psuedo-horror-opening-videos to shocking a sockpuppet in people's mouthes to dressing up like the clown from Metalocalpyse, but this is just so lame and stupid.

There's no gimmick to it, it's not some kind of "alternative" wrestling or whatever. Literally one guy is holding his pencil with both hands while the other guy flicks his pencil at the first guy's pencil to hopefully break it. Then the other guy tries. It's a classroom boredom game. That's it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

About a week, give or take. Keep in mind, however, that the further his polls drop the further we're into the territory of his hard-core supporters. Once you pass 30% every fraction of a percent will require something truly unique, abhorrent, and undeniable in order to convince his supporters who up to that point had not yet been convinced. That's the important thing to keep in mind. His approval numbers are made of people who for whatever reason are looking at the current situation on the ground and going 'yeah this is actually cool & good'. So to get even a fraction of them to bail will take something even more messed up rather than just the status quo.

Last I heard that number was 25% who said nothing would ever make them change their mind. Of course Bannon going on the offensive might chip away at even that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

To put it another way, once we shake out the Charolettesville effect, things would need to be worse than a neo-nazi running down an innocent women and killing her while the entire city is laid seiged to by a band of Nazis screaming "jews will not replace us" and "blood and soil" while beating people to severe injury on camera with clubs then the President refuses to condemn the Nazis then does then takes it all back and gives them the moral authory before anyone else will defect.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just realized I blew a chance to combine "word salad" with the sir this is a drive-thru formulation and I'm super depressed by it.

Sir, this is a Nihilist Arby's.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
So if someone came up to you in, say, October, let's say someone that hoped Bernie would win the DNC, and they say to you 'I'd actually rather see Trump as president than Hillary; I actually think Trump will gently caress everything up in just the right way as to allow the Glorious Revolution to take place!'; Accelerationist or nay?

And what would you say to that person today?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We interrupt accelerator chat to bring you this.

https://twitter.com/oppstn/status/898648721151414276

Okay, that's all, thank you and bye.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

:ironicat:

Real talk is Bill Mitchell that mentally damaged or is he just trolling now?
I find it hard to believe even Trumpland is that wierd of an alternate reality from ours.

Bill Mitchell is a 50 year old man who got to experience a brief moment of fame that diminished fast by backing Trump when no one else would. Now, in a feat of existential dread, he refuses to let go, no matter how damaging, to keep the feeling that his life matters and anyone will remember him when he's gone.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

uglycat is literally insane

like literally actually

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Uglycat posted:

So if someone came up to you in, say, October, let's say someone that hoped Bernie would win the DNC, and they say to you 'I'd actually rather see Trump as president than Hillary; I actually think Trump will gently caress everything up in just the right way as to allow the Glorious Revolution to take place!'; Accelerationist or nay?

And what would you say to that person today?

Yes, that's an Accelerationist. "I want everything to get as lovely as possible because I think that will ultimately lead to revolution."

edit: Also you'd say that's loving dumb because you're throwing away the lives of a whole bunch of other people.
2nd edit: Also there's really no guarantee that out of the ruins of apocalyptic capitalism you're going to get a glorious socialist revolution, instead of the normal hardcore reactionary bullshit like Hitler. Better instead to have the revolution first.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Office Pig posted:

We interrupt accelerator chat to bring you this.

https://twitter.com/oppstn/status/898648721151414276

Okay, that's all, thank you and bye.

The thing that weakens this is that I seriously have never heard of half these councils and agencies before they all mass resign. I mean, sure, it's great that Trump will soon live in an empty white house, but, also, who? Like, how is this weakening him?

• Locked thread