Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 54 - I Broke It

We're running out of time, but there's never a bad time for sick trick shots! Also I get lost in Zora Cape (again) and stock up for the boss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Still watching the video, but I'm guessing that the first try is painful.

Oh, it ends just at the door.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
For that last fairy, the easiest way to get up there is to just shoot the hookshot target near the door from the side and immediately jumpslash midair. Also hold forward, I think.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hey I'm posting an episode on time for once! Enjoy the worst boss in the game so far!

Episode 55 - This Is Not A Good Boss

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Can't you just swim and ram your electrified self against the fish to do damage aka rub your dungeon item against the boss?

Zernach fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 16, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Gyorg is not a particularly good boss but killing him with Zora boomerangs only must count as some sort of a challenge run. The simple strategy is to shoot an arrow from the platform, swim at him with the electric shield active, swim back to the platform, repeat 4 more times. Takes about 2 minutes tops.

Continuously shield ramming yourself into Gyorg (once he's first stunned, and also stunned for a second time after the phase change cutscene) is possible but requires some positioning. Naturally there exists a speedrun trick or two to make it even faster.

In 3D, in the first phase Gyorg swims closer to the surface and you're supposed to just pin him full of arrows. Gyroscope aiming is great here. IN the second phase, you're supposed to break the chains of some floating mines while Gyorg is doing his inhaling thing, for obvious results, but rather than using boomerangs to cut the chains it's again much simpler to use the electric shield.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Fae, you weren't lied to about people on the ranch, you just weren't in the right place. Everyone gets in... I believe the house? to wait out the apocalypse, they just lock the doors afterward. If you want to hang with them you have to be at the ranch at... I think 8 PM is closing time... And just wait for everyone to show up.

Ludicrous Names
Oct 14, 2012
Fae "Well, that told us nothing."

:allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

tiistai posted:

Gyorg is not a particularly good boss but killing him with Zora boomerangs only must count as some sort of a challenge run. The simple strategy is to shoot an arrow from the platform, swim at him with the electric shield active, swim back to the platform, repeat 4 more times. Takes about 2 minutes tops.

I believe I have identified a problem with your strategy, as far as Fae is concerned. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Artix posted:

I believe I have identified a problem with your strategy, as far as Fae is concerned. :v:

Honestly, I imagine swimming back to the platform could be the hardest part for her :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

TwoPair posted:

Fae, you weren't lied to about people on the ranch, you just weren't in the right place. Everyone gets in... I believe the house? to wait out the apocalypse, they just lock the doors afterward. If you want to hang with them you have to be at the ranch at... I think 8 PM is closing time... And just wait for everyone to show up.

Yeah, I confirmed this with my N64 copy after seeing the video. As far as I can tell, it's a very short window from 6-8 that you can get into the house, and you have to have at least rescued Romani. If you did that much, then the mood depends on what else you've done for the family.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Gyorg always felt like a boss that had it's heart in the right place as far as design goes, just godawful execution.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My Gyorg battle in Majora's Mask 3D became an epic 3 day long battle between a Zora and a giant fish because I didn't realize the bomb thing. It was such a great battle, bards wrote epics about it. Until I rewound time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I died several times to Gyorg (in MM3D) before realizing looking up the thing with the mines. I know what they were going for, and why they changed the boss, but they did not do so for the better this time.

I should really get back to MM3D.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I haven't played MM3D but Gyorg in the original game was maybe the easiest boss for me. Stand on the platform, shoot arrow when it charges, jump in and shock it, climb out of water, repeat until dead. Z targeting is cool and good.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 56 - Nobody Has Faith In Me Any More

I loving hate horses

Also I have a "fun" Zelda-related announcement! So there's this little known game, I don't know if you've heard of it but its called Ocarina of Time and this Sunday, me and three of my friends are going to race the whole thing, from start to finish over the course of 12 hours over on my twitch channel! We're starting on the 28th at noon BST/7am EST/4am PST and finishing at modnight/7pm/4pm! Come join us for that maybe?

(I'm still not doing the fourth bottle quest)

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The trick to jumping fences is you have to hit the boost button a second or two before you get to it. The speed boost isn't instant; you have to give Epona space to speed up, but the boost only lasts for 3 seconds or so, so you've gotta make sure you don't hit it too early, as well.

Edit: It's probably moot now, but you can maintain a constant fast speed if you continually hit the boost button (once) immediately after you regenerate a carrot.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 25, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
On Saturday morning there was a guy standing in my parking lot (well the lot next to it at least) playing the Deku Palace theme on an accordion. But I've been moving all weekend and too busy/tired to post about it until now.

Sorry to whoever I just doxxed there

E for actual content: I've never liked Horse in the N64 Zeldas. Hyrule Field in OoT is complete trash and I try to avoid it as much as possible, and by the time you get Horse in MM you have Goron which is a much better way to get around except for when you have to jump over walls (and even then MM has a really generous warp system). Plus the controls just never felt right to me.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 31, 2017

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

C-Euro posted:

Sorry to whoever I just doxxed there

How dare you

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

E for actual content: I've never liked Horse in the N64 Zeldas. Hyrule Field in OoT is complete trash and I try to avoid it as much as possible, and by the time you get Horse in MM you have Goron which is a much better way to get around except for when you have to jump over walls (and even then MM has a really generous warp system). Plus the controls just never felt right to me.

She is more of a plot coupon than a useful in-game tool in MM, yeah. The only place you're required to use her ever is to get into the Great Bay area, which is actually less use than she got in OoT. At least that game had the big poe hunts and a long, drawn-out fetch quest that required you to use Epona to get from one end of the game map to the other in under 3 minutes. Twice.

So yeah, all in all, Epona is not very good in these games.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

KieranWalker posted:

She is more of a plot coupon than a useful in-game tool in MM, yeah. The only place you're required to use her ever is to get into the Great Bay area, which is actually less use than she got in OoT. At least that game had the big poe hunts and a long, drawn-out fetch quest that required you to use Epona to get from one end of the game map to the other in under 3 minutes. Twice.

Say that to her face, you monster

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

KieranWalker posted:

Hey, hey. You need her to enter the fourth area too, unless you're counting the bomb jump glitch in which case you don't need her for Great Bay either. She's totally useful. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I mean, if we're only counting mandatory stuff, she's more useful in MM because she's actively required to progress into Great Bay, get the Garo Mask and get into the fourth area. When we did the OoT race last Sunday, I skipped getting Epona entirely and still beat the game. She's really only necessary in OoT if you want Biggoron's sword and even then there's probably a way to make the 4 minute dash to Death Mountain without her.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

KieranWalker posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far, Epona is hella sweet in Twilight Princess since you can light enemies up from horseback so easily.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ChaosArgate posted:

She's really only necessary in OoT if you want Biggoron's sword and even then there's probably a way to make the 4 minute dash to Death Mountain without her.

Yeah just backwalking through the Field is probably more or less enough.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

C-Euro posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far, Epona is hella sweet in Twilight Princess since you can light enemies up from horseback so easily.

That's not N64, but I don't otherwise disagree. Epona's role in the final battle is probably about half of why I remember Twilight Princess more fondly than, like, everyone.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

Hey, hey. You need her to enter the fourth area too, unless you're counting the bomb jump glitch in which case you don't need her for Great Bay either. She's totally useful. :colbert:

I forgot you needed her to get into the fourth area as well. My mistake.

C-Euro posted:

I was specifically talking about the N64 games.

Let me correct myself. Riding around on Epona is fun, but the amount of time in either game she's actually important is pretty short.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

KieranWalker posted:

I forgot you needed her to get into the fourth area as well. My mistake.

I was specifically talking about the N64 games.

Let me correct myself. Riding around on Epona is fun, but the amount of time in either game she's actually important is pretty short.

I think the biggest issue with Epona in MM is that the Goron Mask exists. The Goron Mask is significantly faster than Epona for travel, whereas in OoT she had some use when you needed to run across Hyrule Field.

EDIT: a point that was indeed made at the beginning of the conversation :saddowns:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello, its a big day here in England! I voted! I hope you all did too! To help us all wind down before the big announcements start happening, have an episode that should've been posted a week and a half ago!

Episode 57 - I Shouldn't Have Wasted All That Time

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ikana Canyon is my favorite area of the game, and it's definitely the least explained. There's so much they could have elaborated on here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pretend I posted @dril's tweet about being drafted into the skeleton war here. Not sure how to dig it up using just my phone right now.

VV Word :respek:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 10, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Pretend I posted @dril's tweet about being drafted into the skeleton war here. Not sure how to dig it up using just my phone right now.

https://www.twitter.com/dril/status/361282749086175234

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Faerie Fortune posted:

Hello, its a big day here in England! I voted! I hope you all did too!
Fae's evil plan: to get millions thousands hundreds dozens of non-UK goons to vote for her candidate in the General Election and secretly sweep it. Without telling anybody who she voted for. Fae, you criminal mastermind.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Commander Keene posted:

Fae's evil plan: to get millions thousands hundreds dozens of non-UK goons to vote for her candidate in the General Election and secretly sweep it. Without telling anybody who she voted for. Fae, you criminal mastermind.

Lord Buckethead?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
FaeLink died in the skeleton war RIP Link

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello its been a heck of a couple of months blah blah blah, I should be back to normal now though so...

Episode 58 - I've Learned To Look Up

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yay

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hooray, your ascent into madness continues!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You should invite CJacobs into you're discord but just not tell him what it is. :devil:

Edit: apparently as penance for that Joke my brain is making me faintly hear the skittering sound effect long after the video is over... There's a gold Skulltula in my BEDROOM :gonk:. Hey! I can send the token to Cash4Gold :haw:!

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I have more anxiety than I'm willing to admit over the next video. I hope Fae gets all 30 in time. It usually takes me 2 tries