Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assume about baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CharlestheHammer posted:

I assume about baseball.

A comparative history of baseball and boxing

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

he says it's just going to be a Common Sense episode in conjunction with the book release time

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lame. Mike go on Chapo

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Guy Goodbody posted:

lame. Dan go on Chapo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
mike makes so much progress in the french revolution and then goes and dumps "valloy" on us :negative:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

What's it supposed to be? Val-wah?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

What's it supposed to be? Val-wah?

Yeah.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I gather Carlin's hard c is closer to being correct for Macedonia than the Anglicised soft c (though having heard a Greek pronunciation and seen the spelling I think he's still mangling the balance of the name).

But drat was it a distraction anyway.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i remember carlin talking about name pronunciations in one of his episodes. he said that it can be a or b, but whats really important is that you are at least consistent. which, he admits, he isnt.

theres no help for you here in this post, i just think thats funny

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

"jinguz khan" never forget.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's funny because it's actually pronounced jizzgun.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

i remember carlin talking about name pronunciations in one of his episodes. he said that it can be a or b, but whats really important is that you are at least consistent. which, he admits, he isnt.

theres no help for you here in this post, i just think thats funny

I think it comes up for some of the Gauls' names in the most recent episode. Whole syllables get sloshed around like they're carrying the name in a bucket. Diviciacus/Divicacius/Divicacus/etc.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What I want to know is what language Dan Carlin's nanny thinks they speak in Rome nowadays.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I love crazy uncle Dan's storytime

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Haven't listened yet, does he pronounce Caesar as Kaisar

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Trabandiumium posted:

Nope. See-zar, same way he pronounced it in the Roman republic series.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trabandiumium posted:

You know he doesn't .

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arcsech posted:

Nope. See-zar, same way he pronounced it in the Roman republic series.

Profligate scum.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's speaking to a broad audience so it makes sense

When I make my popular and critically acclaimed history podcast all of my Latin will be correctly pronounced.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Is the Hardcore History backlog worth buying? I didn't know about the podcasts when he was doing stuff like Death Throes of the Republic or Ghosts of the Ostrfront.

euphronius posted:

He's speaking to a broad audience so it makes sense

When I make my popular and critically acclaimed history podcast all of my Latin will be correctly pronounced.

The History of Byzantium guy puts some effort into getting all the Greek right, as far as I can tell as a non-speaker.

The guy who does History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps puts effort into getting everybody's names right, and it's obvious how proud he is of his Arabic pronunciation when he gets into that era (since that's his specialty).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

Is the Hardcore History backlog worth buying? I didn't know about the podcasts when he was doing stuff like Death Throes of the Republic or Ghosts of the Ostrfront.

The History of Byzantium guy puts some effort into getting all the Greek right, as far as I can tell as a non-speaker.

The guy who does History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps puts effort into getting everybody's names right, and it's obvious how proud he is of his Arabic pronunciation when he gets into that era (since that's his specialty).

Death of the Republic and Ghosts of the Ostfront are definitely worth it. I haven't listened to most of the others yet, but aside from the very early episodes (my god I'm so glad he stopped putting in the loving sound effects) and generally being much longer now it hasn't changed that much.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Prophets of Doom is still the best HH he's ever done.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I'm a big fan of Logical Insanity.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ghosts of the ostfront and Wrath of the khans are his best series because Dan's crazy reading voices most suit apocalyptic World War II letters and insane Mongol rants of superiority.

Prophets of Doom is also really good, it's my favorite episode of the dollop.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Rodyle posted:

Ghosts of the ostfront and Wrath of the khans are his best series because Dan's crazy reading voices most suit apocalyptic World War II letters and insane Mongol rants of superiority.

Has he read the Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks on an episode yet?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Prophets of Doom is also free.

Goon Danton posted:

In contrast, the hosts of The Lesser Bonapartes just gave up trying to pronounce names of ancient Romans and said nobody now really knows how things are pronounced back then.

Rodyle posted:

Wait, the Dollop did that? In what episode?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 20, 2017

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

It's like a Dollop episode in that it's kind of obscure and crazy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember finding it's page on Wikipedia and it was like a paragraph long, that's the best part about history you can look at any era in any place and if you look hard enough your gonna find some crazy poo poo that most fiction writers would dismiss as implausible.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

toanoradian posted:

In contrast, the hosts of The Lesser Bonapartes just gave up trying to pronounce names of ancient Romans and said nobody now really knows how things are pronounced back then.

Wow seriously? Every time someone brings this show up I'm glad that I gave up on it after two episodes

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Goon Danton posted:

Definitely. In addition to those series you mentioned, Punic Nightmares is really good. The very early episodes are super short (like 15-30 minutes) but are kind of interesting. Probably my favorite early ones aside from the ones already mentioned are:

Radical Thoughts
Logical Insanity
Globalization unto Death
Judgment at Nineveh
Steppe Stories

He also had a couple interviews with historians which were kinda interesting. All the episodes are interesting in their way, really.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Yeah he's absolutely at his best when he's sinking his teeth into :stonklol: primary source stuff. That fake HH transcript with the "Everything is happening now and it's horrible and greasy" fake-Lenin quote was incredible for exactly that reason.

Actually the Dollop should get him to guest host a live episode, just to see Gareth try to deal with him.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Definitely. In addition to those series you mentioned, Punic Nightmares is really good. The very early episodes are super short (like 15-30 minutes) but are kind of interesting. Probably my favorite early ones aside from the ones already mentioned are:

Radical Thoughts
Logical Insanity
Globalization unto Death
Judgment at Nineveh
Steppe Stories

He also had a couple interviews with historians which were kinda interesting. All the episodes are interesting in their way, really.

See "Judgment at Nineveh" just sounds like an excuse for him to read the Book of Daniel in his Serious Voice.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you really want to see if r which of Dan Carlin's early episodes are worth paying for, just go to his site through archive.org back when the episodes were released. You can still download the podcast episodes that way (and I think they're even still hosted on the site for free, though it's a pain to find their location now). Especially good for if you're not sure if you want to buy a whole series of episodes at once.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey that Dan Carlin thing I was working on is pretty much done now.

You can download the album here: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Dan_Warren/Hardcore_Prophecy_The_Trump_of_Doom/

Me and a bunch of other goons also made a video for it. :nws:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey that Dan Carlin thing I was working on is pretty much done now.

You can download the album here: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Dan_Warren/Hardcore_Prophecy_The_Trump_of_Doom/

Me and a bunch of other goons also made a video for it. :nws:

This is really something incredible you've done.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Immediately jumped to chapter 6, was not disappointed. This is true art.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 15, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I downloaded it and am going to push it on my friends. This may get big.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope so! I tweeted it to Carlin but he hasn't responded yet. It was the middle of the night there though, so probably bad timing on my part.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Post it on the forums on his website as well, I think he checks those out sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh good idea! It's bedtime here now, but maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Or if one of you gets the urge to do it while I'm asleep, I don't mind at all.