Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rydiafan posted:

Atomic Blonde is female Bond in more than just "badass action spy". It hits a lot of the same tropes that the other movies mentioned don't. Jaded, possibly alcoholic, British spy quipping away while banging the female contact and saving the world. It feels exactly like a Bond film in a way Avengers, Long Kiss Goodnight, etc. don't.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Watching the original Hellsing anime, it seems like there isn't a lot of weight and momentum to the fight scenes. It's kind of weird; I'm supposed to be thinking of Alucard as the most powerful entity in the series, but watching his fights, he doesn't seem to have much oomph behind his attacks, much like everyone else.

In Hellsing Ultimate, this seems a lot better.

Also, anime is bad, or whatever someone is about to post.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

Watching the original Hellsing anime, it seems like there isn't a lot of weight and momentum to the fight scenes. It's kind of weird; I'm supposed to be thinking of Alucard as the most powerful entity in the series, but watching his fights, he doesn't seem to have much oomph behind his attacks, much like everyone else.

In Hellsing Ultimate, this seems a lot better.

Also, anime is bad, or whatever someone is about to post.

Is Hellsing anime better than Vampire Hunter D?

Don't hit me I haven't watched that poo poo since the millenium.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hellsing Ultimate is 10 episodes of "We made a super being perfectly designed to kill Alu- oh he's eaten it again whoops.". It's pretty hosed, teen edgy, and needlessly gory so it's a very fun watch tbqh but I'd be sus of anyone who thought any more of it than that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

syscall girl posted:

I haven't seen Vampire Hunter D is about as long and I remember it being super cool, much like Hellsing. I don't want to revisit it because of that.

EmmyOk posted:

Hellsing Ultimate is 10 episodes of "We made a super being perfectly designed to kill Alu- oh he's eaten it again whoops.". It's pretty hosed, teen edgy, and needlessly gory so it's a very fun watch tbqh but I'd be sus of anyone who thought any more of it than that.

I described Hellsing to my wife yesterday as "14 year old cool" and that extends to Ultimate. It's fun, but I'm not seeing anything particularly amazing here.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hellsing has one of the coolest, chill theme songs ever, "The World Without Logos".

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I stopped watching anime before Hellsing Ultimate but this is pretty similar to what I thought of the first series.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

syscall girl posted:

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust is a great film and you should check it out.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Hellsing has one of the coolest, chill theme songs ever, "The World Without Logos".

And one of the most incongruous ending themes ever, courtesy of Mr. Big of all people.

Really, does anything about this song make you think "badass anime vampire"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClxnJa4J-Q

other than it sucks, like all anime

Imagined has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Aug 18, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Imagined posted:

And one of the most incongruous ending themes ever, courtesy of Mr. Big of all people.

They're one of those bands who are super popular in Japan despite being one-hit wonders everywhere else.

I think a lot of 80s bands with shred style guitarists are still popular in Japan. I guess that sort of thing has had more enduring appeal there.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Kit Harington's American accent in Silent Hill 2 is one of the worst ever

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Memento posted:

You can download both games for free at http://nolfrevival.tk/

I don't know if it's illegal to do that, because currently, no one knows if it's illegal to do that, or cares enough to find out if they actually own the rights. That website has been up for over six weeks now, so if it was going to be taken down, it probably would have been by now.
Rock Paper Shotgun actively tells you to :filez: by linking you to http://nolfrevival.tk because gently caress the system.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'm rewatching Stargate SG-1 because it's fun and good, but when you get to season 4 on the DVDs the opener changes from this fun montage to this boring pan over Ra's mask.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When movies allow the "bad guy with a heart of gold" to always have a quick easy escape. The most common way this irritates me is when the cop/whoever turns away from the bad guy for a second so he's off camera, then it pans back and poof, he's gone. The end of The Saint (the 2017 one) is the most recent example of this - he's basically surrounded by FBI agents and there's no possible way none of them had him in their field of vision and noticed he ran away, but since he was off camera I guess that makes him invisible to everybody.

I get that it's usually a running joke to show how bumbling the cops are or whatever, but I can't help but be irritated at them for not learning their lesson and stop looking away from the bad guy...or at least restrain him before you do (although even then I'm sure they would pan back and the handcuffs would be open on the ground with the bad guy nowhere to be seen).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The latest Planet of the Apes kills three gorillas too many :saddowns:.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The latest Planet of the Apes kills three gorillas too many :saddowns:.

counterpoint: No amount of gorilla death could ever be enough, in any movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cumslut1895 posted:

Congo comes close to having a good amount of gorilla death.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When movies allow the "bad guy with a heart of gold" to always have a quick easy escape. The most common way this irritates me is when the cop/whoever turns away from the bad guy for a second so he's off camera, then it pans back and poof, he's gone. The end of The Saint (the 2017 one) is the most recent example of this - he's basically surrounded by FBI agents and there's no possible way none of them had him in their field of vision and noticed he ran away, but since he was off camera I guess that makes him invisible to everybody.

I get that it's usually a running joke to show how bumbling the cops are or whatever, but I can't help but be irritated at them for not learning their lesson and stop looking away from the bad guy...or at least restrain him before you do (although even then I'm sure they would pan back and the handcuffs would be open on the ground with the bad guy nowhere to be seen).

This is how I find out they've tried to reboot The Saint again? And then I look on Wiki and Simon Templar has STUBBLE?! Shameful.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Cumslut1895 posted:

Flash's solo movie will be Flash beating up Gorilla Grodd for 180 minutes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Grendels Dad posted:

Flash's solo movie will be Flash beating up Gorilla Grodd for 180 minutes.

Before tripping on a rock or something stupid

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Away all Goats posted:

Before tripping on a rock or something stupid

No, no. That's DCTV's Flash. DCCU's Flash is cool and good.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Man, gently caress all of you.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

No, no. That's DCTV's Flash. DCCU's Flash is cool and good.

It's Ezra miller...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cumslut1895 posted:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I remember seeing trailers for Sing a while back, and now recently it's been put on Netflix, and my kids really enjoy it so I've gotten to see it about ten times over the last two weeks, which at first was fine because at least is isn't loving Moana, but now it's really starting to get to me.

Every time the Gorilla Johnny finishes singing he looks super confused, like we was singing in a fugue or something, which is dumb because his story is "I don't want to follow in my father's footsteps," not "I didn't know how good I could sing".

That belongs to the loving Elephant, who is so ridiculously good at singing that her entire story arc is completely unbelievable. Her big smash hit song at the end is written to include her stage fright, and her getting over it, it's retarded. Then, once she gets over her stage fright (in ten seconds) she is going off like Mariah Carey. There is no way someone that sings like she does would have any doubt about their abilities.

Reese Witherspoon is criminally under-used. I would totally watch a spin-off series about her overworked pig housewife/mother of 25 who sings Taylor Swift and Katy Perry.

Scarlett Johansson has a pretty decent singing voice, but I can't get over the fact that she has more personality in her voicework as a cartoon porcupine rocker than in any live film I've seen her in.

Seth MacFarlane WE GET IT YOU IDOLIZE FRANK SINATRA. YOU NOW HAVE FOUR loving TELEVISION SHOWS WITH WHICH TO INFLICT YOURSELF UPON US, GODDAMN. Also his story ends literally in the middle of a car chase and we never find out what happens to him.

And the cherry on top: A character is having a sad, contemplative scene 3/4 of the way through he movie? I swear to god, I felt this next part coming in my bones the first time I saw this movie. My mouth fell open and I slowly shook my head in disbelief. My trembling hand found my wife's. One day someone is going to tell me one of their parents died and I'm not going to know how to feel about it because I'm not having the emotional cue hammered into my loving skull by Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. I actually really like that song by itself but I loving had how it always gets used in movies as the giant neon sign saying "This is the sad part of the movie."

I like Matthew McConaughey.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Scarlett Johansson has a pretty decent singing voice, but I can't get over the fact that she has more personality in her voicework as a cartoon porcupine rocker than in any live film I've seen her in.

Yo, have you seen Under the Skin? Show your children Under the Skin.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I remember seeing trailers for Sing a while back, and now recently it's been put on Netflix, and my kids really enjoy it so I've gotten to see it about ten times over the last two weeks, which at first was fine because at least is isn't loving Moana, but now it's really starting to get to me.

Every time the Gorilla Johnny finishes singing he looks super confused, like we was singing in a fugue or something, which is dumb because his story is "I don't want to follow in my father's footsteps," not "I didn't know how good I could sing".

That belongs to the loving Elephant, who is so ridiculously good at singing that her entire story arc is completely unbelievable. Her big smash hit song at the end is written to include her stage fright, and her getting over it, it's retarded. Then, once she gets over her stage fright (in ten seconds) she is going off like Mariah Carey. There is no way someone that sings like she does would have any doubt about their abilities.

Reese Witherspoon is criminally under-used. I would totally watch a spin-off series about her overworked pig housewife/mother of 25 who sings Taylor Swift and Katy Perry.

Seth MacFarlane WE GET IT YOU IDOLIZE FRANK SINATRA. YOU NOW HAVE FOUR loving TELEVISION SHOWS WITH WHICH TO INFLICT YOURSELF UPON US, GODDAMN. Also his story ends literally in the middle of a car chase and we never find out what happens to him.

And the cherry on top: A character is having a sad, contemplative scene 3/4 of the way through he movie? I swear to god, I felt this next part coming in my bones the first time I saw this movie. My mouth fell open and I slowly shook my head in disbelief. My trembling hand found my wife's. One day someone is going to tell me one of their parents died and I'm not going to know how to feel about it because I'm not having the emotional cue hammered into my loving skull by Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. I actually really like that song by itself but I loving had how it always gets used in movies as the giant neon sign saying "This is the sad part of the movie."

I like Matthew McConaughey.

I like how the gorilla ruined his father's entire life and the lives of his friends because he's a loving dumbass who doesn't seem to realize that the score would allow him to make his own records and skip the bullshit competition. But I have a problem with characters who gently caress over other characters and never get some kind of comeuppance or a hard talking to. Any movie where a kid puts a group in danger over something stupid and doesn't get the poo poo kicked out of him for almost getting everyone over a dog/toy/fantasy whatever is so goddamned irritating.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

biosterous posted:

I'm rewatching Stargate SG-1 because it's fun and good, but when you get to season 4 on the DVDs the opener changes from this fun montage to this boring pan over Ra's mask.

The Mask is the original movie titles and was also used for the first 5 seasons when it was on Showtime.

The other titles were for later seasons. Apparently the DVDs are weird like that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Why are teenage girls/daughters always written horribly?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think they are written about the same as teen boys. Six Feet Under, Gilmore Girls, and The Americans stand out for me as having well written teens.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Why are teenage girls/daughters always written horribly?

Women in general are usually written badly by predominantly male writers/directors. Making them teenagers just adds another layer of separation from the people trying to imagine what they're like.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It doesn't help that teenagers are frequently played by adults, making the disconnect even worse. Someone near thirty pretending to be seventeen reading lines written by someone in their 40s-50s is just a mess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Yo, have you seen Under the Skin? Show your children Under the Skin.

A movie in which Scarlett Johansen completely lacks personality is not the best counter-example to her completely lacking personality.

Also, gently caress off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One from Monster's Inc that I wouldn't have thought of without seeing the clip beating Scare Island - in the sequence where Randall is beating up Sully while invisible rendering him unable to fight back effectively, there is a moment where he wraps his entire body around Sully's neck and tries to choke him. Mike accidentally hits him with a snowball revealing his location and Sully is able to hit him - but Sully already knows exactly where Randall is - he's wearing him like a scarf. He could easily have grabbed him anywhere and started squeezing back, or worked out where his head was by the feeling of his body.

I know he wasn't thinking straight, and it was important to the story that things happened the way they did, that's why it's Irrational.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
When you're being choked it's really hard to grab onto the person's who's choking you. I imagine that can't be any easier when the person choking you is basically a snake.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Good point, I guess hitting him is generally easier due to not needing as much leverage.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

When you're being choked it's really hard to grab onto the person's who's choking you. I imagine that can't be any easier when the person choking you is basically a snake.

Yeah but Sully is a huge monster dude, he could have literally crushed Randall with one hand.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The craziest accent thing I recall is "Season of the Witch" where Nic Cage and Ron Pearlman are playing British crusaders who have to slay a witch. They don't try for accents, which, you know what? Is fine. It's not trying to be a historically accurate film or anything, you can hand wave these two prolific actors in this schlock film sounding weird in medieval England, whatever...

But they're accompanied by Stephen Graham who plays a thief. Now, Graham is a local Liverpool lad and seeing as all the other secondary characters are Brits/Irish(lol the Irish lad from Misfits left that show thinking this film would be his ticket to Hollywood) you'd think he'd just use his normal Scouse accent and add a bit of flavour... Nope. He puts on this CRAZY Al Capone voice (He did go on to play Capone in Boardwalk Empire, but I dunno what came first) so you have Nic Cage as a Crusader with his crazy drawl, Pearlman's rumbling Yank baritone and a Scouser going, "Nyaaah, we're gonna kill this Witch, seee?"

The whole thing is loving bonkers, but you know what? From what I recall it wasn't THAT bad. Solid schlock, super dumb. I might get drunk and re-watch it sometime.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's one of those movies you didn't go to see in the cinema and probably wouldn't seek out on DVD or Netflix, but might have seen on a Transatlantic flight a couple of months after it left theatres (like I did :v:).

It wasn't very good, but it wasn't very bad either. It wasn't really much of anything. It felt like a D2DVD movie and I'm a bit surprised it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall Nic Cage in Ghost Rider sounding almost like an Elvis impersonator.