Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Remember daredevil season 1 came out and it was good as hell and then every show since has been worse than the last and now here we are. I was so excited for the defenders when it was initially announced so long ago but goddamn they dropped the ball on these marvel Netflix shows so hard

Bring back Steve DeKnight and boot the hack frauds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dexo posted:

shouts to them putting the yellow filter and finding the most blackity rear end black music they could find whenever Luke Cage is on screen in Harlem.

I also like the red hues for Matt, blue/blue-white for Jess and the Green for Derp...erm...Danny...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ep 5 Instead of dodging, why doesn't Luke just grab her sword and yank it away?

The fingers got to choose between being eternally young and attractive or telekinesis.

Edit: Luke grabs Bakuto and pushes him aside with his weapon still in hand instead of knocking him out.

The police station just let them walk through their offices with a badly bleeding woman?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 19, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ufarn posted:

Counterpoint: it feels mercifully short. DD1's intro is amazing, but I do not like fast-forwarding through any long theme.

"[hip hop music]" in subtitles didn't help.

For some reason, the intro skip feature only works in the web client and not the Win10 client. It doesn't even show up there...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lycus posted:

Ep 4 If Matt alone can go toe-to-toe with Elektra, why the hell is her entrance supposed to be so scary for the group? Especially since one guy can't even be cut by her swords? Edit: And Stick fought her off while handcuffed to a frickin' pole.

I see it as she/Black Sky has not fully integrated her/it's powers, muscle memory or skills yet. Plus she did defeat Matt, and we don't know how strong she is. Remember Luke's concussion?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Danny's the annoying outsider who joins your D&D group with a really detailed backstory that no one cares about, but he has to bring it up at every opportunity.

"It's not a hand thing it's chi and it has a plus five against undead, I'm the Immortal Iron Fist guys cmon"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This show sure is a comic book show.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ManSedan posted:

Danny's the annoying outsider who joins your D&D group with a really detailed backstory that no one cares about, but he has to bring it up at every opportunity.

"It's not a hand thing it's chi and it has a plus five against undead, I'm the Immortal Iron Fist guys cmon"

On the other hand, preferable to Peter Parker showing up. No wonder that kid stays the gently caress out of Manhattan. :v:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

please retitle the thread "You're the dumbest Iron Fist yet"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Up to Ep4 now Dany gets a lot better after a well deserved dressing down by Luke. The scene transitions are getting annoying, but overall its a fun show. I like how everyone has their own very real motivations for going after the hand. Also, I don't think it's hyperbole to say that the opening fight was complete utter garbage. It's nothing at all like the rest of the show.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fentry posted:

I'm 30 seconds in to the series and Danny Rand is already an incompetent idiot

They set it up in IF, so now they are running with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nooneofconsequence posted:

please retitle the thread "You're the dumbest Iron Fist yet"

Seconded.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"The scarf looked better."

Jessica Jones, voice of the audience.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The colors feel patronizing and dumb. Just light the loving scene, it doesn't need to be yellow or have hidden green things in the shot or whatever.

Also the Power Ranger effect where they have to wear their colors 100% of the time down to a green loving blazer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cran posted:

I think it definitely benefited from being a leaner eight episodes.

I agreed with most of your post, but this is the absolute truth right here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I agreed with most of your post, but this is the absolute truth right here.

Just as importantly, the entire series takes place over the course of about 48 hours. Keeps things rolling along.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Question about an event early in the show:

Did they ever say what caused the earthquake? I know it was implied that mining the dragon bones would have made the area seismically unstable, but the Earthquake was well before that? Was it them trying to blast their way into the chamber that caused it? Also, I am not a geology guy, but 300 feet (what the caller on the Trish Talk said) doesn't seem that deep, compared to when the hole was first found. That's only a football field down, they made it seem like it was a good mile or two down.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This show sure is a comic book show.

So it's nothing like the other Marvel Netflix shows, then.

(I'm only half-joking. Even the non-IF Marvel Netflix shows seem fixated on putting a thick layer of "realism" and "groundedness" in between themselves and the source material, to a degree that simply isn't the case for, say, the CW DC shows, or even the film MCU.)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am a weirdo that thinks iron fist was as good or even better than luke cage, cause despite its flaws iron fist had a coherent narrative and the best supporting cast of any of the shows and luke cage plummets off a loving cliff after mahershala dies. that said, i still thought all of the netflix shows so far were at least decent.

defenders is easily the worst of the netflix shows and i am actually shocked how at how bad i think it is. they had such a charismatic cast and i barely had any fun watching this. it had some moments, but the first 3 episodes of the show are painful and it only gets moderately better once things start rolling.

hoo boy was this a bummer :(

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

That was some awful writing - like seriously some pants-on-head Dumbo the World's Worst Elephant-Writer lines. The character motivations flopping around like an air dancer in front of a Honda dealership, action filmed exclusively with poorly lit jump cut fight scenes, and a completely wasted Sigourney loving Weaver.

I only finished it to watch more Jessica Jones, and if I had any clue where my remote was I probably would have just started skipped every scene without her in it in the back half of the series.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I got through four episodes before deciding to call it a night, though that was a bit of a hard decision because they are doing cliffhangers right on this show. Overall, I am really digging it. Jessica owns, and Luke laying into Danny about his privilege is everything I ever wanted.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
JJ having multiple meta jokes about fan reactions to the show was awful. After the color nightmare, she walks into a room with the Japanese guy that is lit purple. Sure enough, DD comes out for the blue+red fight. They say at least 6 times over the course of two episodes that the Hand needs Danny, then there's still characters asking for confirmation of this or saying, "well now we know". Like Sigourney told you to your loving face.

I'll say Finn Jones' physicality was much better in this than in IF when he straight up said he didn't train much for the role because of scheduling or whatever. Some of the interplay is nice.

Oh, and for more color shenanigans - the Hand uses metallic colors. Re-watch and see that every scene with Sigourney has gold in it. In one scene there's no gold, so she's drinking a yellow beer.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Another thing, Stick's stunt double is Im Gonna Git You Sucka levels of hilarity. It might as well have been a giant white dude with an afro or something like in that movie

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
This dialogue sometimes feels like someone's shaking a magic 8 ball with stock phrases.

"This is my fight' "This isn't their fight" This is our job!" "Stay away from this" "You can trust me" "Let me help you" "I can't help you if you dont-" "We're on the same side" "I'm trying to protect you" "It's better if you don't know" "I don't want to put you in danger" "You wouldn't believe me if I told you" "We need to get somewhere safe" "You have no idea what you're dealing with" "I just want to talk" "You need to calm down" "We're not so different, you and I" "We want the same thing"

I'm pretty sure Colleen went from "We need allies" to "This isn't their fight, it's our fight" within a couple episodes because the writers forgot who's mouth they were shoving phrases into lol

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The police station confused me. It looked like they just had two rooms containing all police-related scenes and elements. Interviews, ranking officers, evidence boards, etc.? All in one of two rooms.

It's like they're running the precinct out of an apartment.

mastershakeman posted:

whats funny is that (end of season spoilers)
nothing they're doing is really that bad for new york. so they find open up the dragon box to get some dragon blood and keep their lives going. big woop. as far as anyone even knew, they hadn't run out of the dragon blood in the first place . beyond repeatedly saying 'new york will fall' they aren't actually doing anything directly threatening to new york at any point. if none of the 4 , and especially danny, had ever done anything, it all would've been ok.

I'm sorry but those were load-bearing fossils. If removed, New York would implode. .

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It was a dumb comic book show and I liked it. It wasn't amazing but I'd happily binge more Marvel Netflix.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Junkfist posted:

This dialogue sometimes feels like someone's shaking a magic 8 ball with stock phrases.

"This is my fight' "This isn't their fight" This is our job!" "Stay away from this" "You can trust me" "Let me help you" "I can't help you if you dont-" "We're on the same side" "I'm trying to protect you" "It's better if you don't know" "I don't want to put you in danger" "You wouldn't believe me if I told you" "We need to get somewhere safe" "You have no idea what you're dealing with" "I just want to talk" "You need to calm down" "We're not so different, you and I" "We want the same thing"

I'm pretty sure Colleen went from "We need allies" to "This isn't their fight, it's our fight" within a couple episodes because the writers forgot who's mouth they were shoving phrases into lol

The "we're not so different, you and I"
"we're not the same"
"I know"

The writing sucks

Street level heroes having a punch up in dragon bones.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 19, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Defenders has reminded me that I really do not like Foggy or Karen. Every other bit of it is really fun in a silly comic-book way. I like the color thing. I like the costume thing. I like telling Danny how stupid he is all the time. This is all so great and I'm having a great time. I'm waiting on episode 8 to see if they can bring it on home with a strong ending. But I didn't hate Iron Fist, so maybe I'm an outsider here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
it seems that you and i, we're both the same.

we aren't so different, you and I

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Every single Leaders of Hand scene, I'm distracted by them all but one speaking English.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dexo posted:

it seems that you and i, we're both the same.

we aren't so different, you and I
Same difference, you and I, not alike. We're the same, so alike.

I felt too old for this. It felt like a poorly thought out video game plot that I'm too old to be watching. I think I'm done with these Marvel shows.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lycus posted:

Every single Leaders of Hand scene, I'm distracted by them all but one speaking English.

Baka

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm on episode 4 of the defenders and really enjoying it!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

HIJK posted:

I just want something that was as good as the first season of Daredevil but that just doesn't look super likely.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just finished ep 7 and on to the finale before I crash for the night.

This show is very mediocre. While Finn Jones / Danny Rand is better than in Iron Fist, all the fight scenes have WAY too many camera cuts which are very distracting. The Hand are weakass, lame, and worst of all BORING enemies, even Sigourney Weaver doesn't make them interesting.

It's not the worst of the Marvel Netflix offerings, but it's not very good. If you've watched one or more of the other Marvel Netflix shows, you should probably check it out since it's only 8 episodes.

But, it's not a high-quality TV show. Or even a good superheroes show.

It's about what I expected. Review: meh

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I might be dumb, but I don't understand how the bad guys' plan was supposed to end with the destruction of the city.

It seemed like they just wanted to get the dragon bones.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The comparisons to previous civilizations destroyed by the Hand led me to assume they'd basically bring New York to ruin in order to completely cover their tracks once they had their immortality juice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samizdata posted:

For some reason, the intro skip feature only works in the web client and not the Win10 client. It doesn't even show up there...

It was in the AppleTV client as well, but not the AndroidTV client (at least not on my Shield TV)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I might be dumb, but I don't understand how the bad guys' plan was supposed to end with the destruction of the city.

It seemed like they just wanted to get the dragon bones.

Like there were literally multiple times where they stated that the hole they were digging and working in were causing earthquakes and would have eventually caused a geological event that would destroy most of the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Come to think of it, was the Black Sky important at all? I mean other than being Elektra with amnesia, she wasn't that special. Maybe she's a bit stronger than before, but that's not exactly that special in the show anymore. I was thinking at the very least if the Iron Fist and Black Sky ended up in the same room something catastrophic would happen, but the whole "city will fall" thing came from them playing jenga with the dragon bones. Even the other leaders of the hand called Sigourney Weaver out on how dumb the whole "prophecy" was.

Didn't rain blood or anything. Stick oversold the apocalypse.