Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm now flashing back to playing this game. As a 7 year old this game was spooky as gently caress, and now I'm remembering why. I forgot how much I loved this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest IV. This is a cute little house, so let's see what's going on with it.

>knock

: Rosella knocks loudly on the small door. No answer.

Let's go in. It's unlocked and nobody's home. That's an implicit invitation right?

That's a pretty large pile of dishes scattered all around.

>look

: This is the main room of the Seven Dwarfs' cozy tree house. What a mess it is!

Oh. Well I guess this belongs to the Seven Dwarfs. I guess that means Rosella is Snow White?

Oh geez. Of course seven bachelors living in a small two room cottage would turn the place into a disaster zone. They probably won't mind if we

>clean house

While Rosella is cleaning with astounding speed, some music plays.

King's Quest IV - Cleaning House

I'm impressed at how quickly Rosella cleaned up. Even if she did just wind up sweeping all the dirt into the broom closet.

: From off in the distance, Rosella hears the unmistakable sound of many people approaching the house. She quietly watches as seven dwarves file through the door, one by one. Each one fills a bowl full of soup and takes a seat at the table.

King's Quest IV - Dwarf House

The game v e r y s l o w l y repeats the process with the first six dwarves.

The last dwarf takes an eternity getting his soup.

: This dwarf must be really hungry; he's getting two bowls of soup!

: The Seven Dwarves seem very pleased that Rosella tidied their messy home.

: What is your name, lass?
: Rosella.
: 's a good name. C'mon over and sit down. I got you some soup. Least we can do after you cleaned our house.

This section of the game has a lot of long and annoying animations. Once Rosella sits down, there's a full minute of all eight of them just silently eating soup.

: Before too long, it's time for the little men to return to the mine.
: Goodbye, and thanks for the soup!

Followed by 25 seconds of each Dwarf taking his sweet rear end time lumbering out of the house. By the way, the initial "each dwarf arrives and gets soup" extended animation takes around a minute and a half.

It's a cute scene, but it's very time intensive.

: Rosella also finishes her soup. On reflecting, she imagines it might be the best soup she has ever tasted. Or perhaps she was just really hungry.
: Look, I've had a very long, very tiring day. That soup was the first meal I ate since before I got tied to that stake next to the giant dragon.

Now there's no need to do so again, but it's only polite.

>clean table

It looks like one of the dwarves left a pouch behind on the table.

>get pouch

That's a pouch full of diamonds. One of them is going to be looking for this. Let's go return it.

One screen south of the dwarves' house is this little hillside mine. This is where the dwarves work when they're not at home.

King's Quest IV - Dwarf Mine

>look

: Diamonds glitter and sparkle from the earthen walls of the Seven Dwarves' diamond mine. Within it, Rosella sees the little men busily at work.

The dwarf who got us some soup is right over there, so let's go talk to him.

>talk to dwarf

: Hello mister dwarf!
: Rosella! What're you doing here? Don't you know this ain't no place for a fine girl like yourself.
: Rosella goes to answer but stops herself. She shakes her head, but doesn't otherwise respond.
: I think you left this on the dining room table in your house.

>give pouch to dwarf

The positioning is kind of finicky. I tried a few times before the game finally let me return the pouch here.

: The head dwarf frowns and looks at the pouch that the young human girl is offering him. His gruff exterior softens a bit when he sees her trying to return a pouch of priceless diamonds.
: Nah, you can keep it. We got plenty here. We also got an extra lantern we ain't using. Here go ahead and take it.
: The dwarf hands Rosella a lantern.
: Now, skedaddle on out of here!

If I'm being honest, the reason they aren't using this lantern is because it's useless. It doesn't illuminate for poo poo. We'll see just what I mean in much later in the game. Yes, technically we have everything we need to go through the caves. There's a much better time, in my opinion, to go after the fruit.

Oh boy, a mountain path. Genesta said that Lolotte lived in this direction, so this is probably the path to her lair.

Thankfully we don't have to walk up this incredibly narrow mountain path.

King's Quest IV - Lolotte's Goons

If you click the music link, beware of semi-major spoilers. The only KQ4 soundtrack on youtube was a 27 minute video with every song consecutively. The person who made the video included pictures of the relevant game parts with it.

The above link has 2-3 seconds with a location from extremely late in the game before it changes to the mountain path.

King's Quest IV - Audience with Lolotte

For some reason, this tune is the one that keeps getting stuck in my head.

: Well, my pets. What have you drug home today?
: Lolotte gives Rosella the once-over, and as she does so, her red eyes begin to narrow.
: Are you a foolish girl who wandered here by mistake... or are you a SPY sent here by my enemy, Genesta?!
: I'm just a poor girl who got lost and...
: Lolotte's eyes narrow to slits and she snarls. Rosella begins to tremble in fear.
: You don't look STUPID enough to have wandered HERE by mistake. You're obviously a spy.
: Now hold on...
: SILENCE! Take her to the cell!

Well poo poo. That could have gone better.

NEXT TIME: We try to escape from prison.

List of Points

+5 - Supped with Dwarves
+2 - Bag of Diamonds
+3 - Honesty has material rewards

Total: 27/230

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
How are those bones on the last screen still hanging from the ceiling? All the flesh and cartilage has rotted away :catstare:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How are those bones on the last screen still hanging from the ceiling? All the flesh and cartilage has rotted away :catstare:

because it is a spooky skeleton prop

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you even run away from them when they spawn, or is it a foregone conclusion?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Glazius posted:

Can you even run away from them when they spawn, or is it a foregone conclusion?

The answer is "both." You can run away to the prior screen - and they always spawn on that screen - but it's a foregone conclusion.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
You can talk to the Seven Dwarfs at the table. A few times, I think. It's just idle chit-chat, but you don't have to eat in silence.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I've got a question about KQ3, when you use the storm on the dragon can you get crushed by it's corpse?

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Deathwind posted:

I've got a question about KQ3, when you use the storm on the dragon can you get crushed by it's corpse?

I'm pretty sure they box off the area in the immediate vicinity of the three-headed dragon so you can't set foot in it... Therefore, no, I don't believe so.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So is King's Quest IV peak Sierra Bullshit, or which King's Quest would you mark it at?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

ulmont posted:

So is King's Quest IV peak Sierra Bullshit, or which King's Quest would you mark it at?

I think 5 is the king.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ulmont posted:

All of them have some peak Sierra bullshit, it's a matter of which one has the most.

(it's V)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ulmont posted:

V, hands down. It has the most dead ends and dead man walking scenarios. The first four are all incredibly short. Meanwhile, #5, even if you know what you're doing, will take several hours to clear at minimum. Those extra hours were all stuffed to the gills with some pretty nasty bullshit.

Everyone always thinks of the rat "puzzle" or feeding the eagle, but I personally think of the nest encounter. There, if you don't grab an item that's only a few pixels on a screen you're only on for a minute at most, you will lose the game and not be aware of it until two hours later when a plot critical NPC will suddenly refuse to give you the time of day.

Of course, that's not to say that KQ4 doesn't have some bullshit. We're quickly arriving to what many people consider one of the most infuriating sections in the entire series.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
KQ4 rivals KQ5 in bullshit, for sure. Say what you want about KQ5, it didn't have a loving whale tongue, or an invisible bridle.

I actually like KQ4 a lot better than KQ5 though. It feels like a more cohesive game with a more unified tone, and it's got a kind of creepy vibe going on that I really love, which none of the other games does.

KQ6 doesn't have as much bullshit, but it does have a few walking dead scenarios. Missing the handkerchief or the Styx water come to mind. KQ6 is probably the best game in the King's Quest series though, probably the best game Sierra ever made, and (in my book, at least) one of the best games of all time. KQ7 technically has zero walking dead situations I can think of, but it ranks on the lower end of the series for most people.

Bloops Crusts fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 18, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

V, hands down.

Amazing. I think I'm glad I only played II, III, IV, and VI back in the day. I'm replaying IV now and - even with a walkthrough - the number of times I have said "gently caress this game" is high.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
KQ5 was my introduction to the series. :shepface:

I got it in some bundle that also included a cyberpunk first-person adventure game (Rise of the Dragon) and possibly one or two others. As a dumb kid, I had no idea what I was doing in any of them.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

KQ5 was my introduction to the series. :shepface:
Mine too. And it was rough even though I enjoyed it.

Though on the plus side, it introduced me to GameFAQs when I realized I couldn't figure a puzzle out. So hell, it's probably one of the 5-10 most important games in my gaming life solely due to that.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, VI was downright cinematic for the time. Great design, some bullshit but orders of magnitude less than V. Multiple endings and a really interesting setting....we'll get there, I'm sure. Definitely my #1 for the series.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, VI was downright cinematic for the time. Great design, some bullshit but orders of magnitude less than V. Multiple endings and a really interesting setting....we'll get there, I'm sure. Definitely my #1 for the series.

I think one of the things that sold me on VI was it was the first CD-ROM game I ever played. Going from text boxes to actual voiced gameplay was a hell of a thing, one of those "wow, technology has really changed!" moments (which, considering I'm old enough to remember the Atari 2600 I've had a lot of, admittedly).

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

5 is horseshit, looking forward to 6 because 6 is really good

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I also started on V (sadly it was the 16 color floppy version), it is the peak of walking dead and guide-dang-it puzzle design

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Mask of Eternity

Aug 24, 2011

Deathwind posted:

I also started on V (sadly it was the 16 color floppy version), it is the peak of walking dead and guide-dang-it puzzle design

The Walking Dead but all the zombies are replaced by poo poo you forgot to pick up earlier

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Deathwind posted:

I had the VGA version and the fact that I still think fondly of it today is to my mind some form of Stockholm syndrome - I didn't have access to many other games. I thought that that version of the game looked great back in... 91? and I still do to this day. I have literally had nightmares about that loving scorpion and I doubt that I've ever actually beaten the game.

Aug 24, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I had the VGA version and the fact that I still think fondly of it today is to my mind some form of Stockholm syndrome - I didn't have access to many other games. I thought that that version of the game looked great back in... 91? and I still do to this day. I have literally had nightmares about that loving scorpion and I doubt that I've ever actually beaten the game.

oh man i used to have nightmares about that knife mugger guy in the alley in leisure suit larry

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, welcome back to King's Quest IV. We're in prison.

>look

: Rosella has found herself in a HORRIBLE cell! It looks as if others have found their way here, too. Hopefully, she won't end up like them!

There's a lot of stuff to look at here, but we can't do anything with any of it. We just need to hang out for a bit.

>look skeleton

: At least two unfortunate individuals have met their end here.

>look rack

: An ominous machine lurks in the corner of this cell. As to its purpose; Rosella doesn't want to know.

>sit

: You don't have time for that.

This pops up every time you try to sit down. I guess we don't have time to sit even when we have no choice but to stand around. :shrug:

Anyway, after a short time, usually just long enough to look at everything, the guards return.

: Rosella hears the henchmen returning. Perhaps they are setting her free!

: The henchmen motions for Rosella to follow him out of the cell...

: Lolotte gives Rosella a sickly-sweet look. With all the sincerity of a practised liar, and all the fake sweetness of a southern belle, she coos.
: You're lucky my dear. My precious son, Edgar, has taken a liking to you. He's convinced me to give you a chance to prove your innocence.
: Rosella looks at the homely young man standing next to Lolotte. He blushes.

Edgar.

: I wish to own the unicorn that inhabits the meadowland. Bring me the unicorn, and I shall not only set you free, but reward you as well.
: The witch addresses her henchmen.
: Go! Take her back to the forest!

Well, we have our first mission from Lolotte. It doesn't take a genius to guess she's going to milk our "help" for all that it's worth, so this is only the first of several tasks she's going to have us perform.

One screen north of the mountain path we can find this waterfall. Like other locations, it will be useful much later on. While there is something we could do with it now, we'll just save it for later.

East of Whateley Manor is this second graveyard screen, as well as a mausoleum carved into the mountain. Like most screens, we'll be back here much, much later.

King's Quest IV - Scary Forest

Looks legit.

>look

: Rosella has come upon a bizarre group of scary, human-like trees. A thick forest of pine trees surrounds this strange group. Steep mountains block your way to the east.

This forest is as dangerous as it looks.

: You've really gotten yourself out on a limb this time, Rosella!

We'll be back, say it with me now, later in the game.

This is two screens to the west, or one screen north of the first graveyard we visited. While this screen is simply there to add some room to the map, it is important to note all the same.

I was wrong in King's Quest III. This screen and the cabin to the north are also dangerous. Unlike the scary forest, this screen will randomly have a hostile rear end in a top hat spawn and chase you down. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is something to be aware of all the same.

Thankfully, after this game there are no more random death screens short of doing something stupid like "wandering through an endless desert" or entering the "here be dragons" part of a nautical map.

Both come up in the next game.

This pissed me off when it happened. Until this happened I legitimately had no idea this was a random death screen. To have an ogre spawn right on top of me as I entered the screen...

There's not even anything to learn from this death. "Sorry, you died because the RNG said so. Get hosed."

Reposting the Roberta Williams picture again. It's really hard to not read that line as sarcastic or taunting when bullshit like that happens.

So this stump we visited in the second update will randomly have a man sitting on top of it.

>look man

: Rosella sees a rather jaunty-looking fellow who appears to be a wandering minstrel. He seems to be a lute player.

: Hello there.
: Well, well. Who do we have here?
: I'm Rosella.
: Hello, Rosella. Let me play for you one of my favorite tunes.
: The minstrel starts strumming his lute and singing. His musical skills are quite limited, as he plunks and pings his way through what Rosella recognizes as an otherwise beautiful song.

: Rather than listen to the song be butchered any further, Rosella pulls out the Shakespeare book and begins to flip through it.

>read book

: To hold, as 'twere, the mirror up to nature; to show virtue her own feature, scorn her own image, and the very age and body of the time his form and pressure.

>read book

: How sour sweet music is when time is broke and no proportion kept! So is it in the music of men's lives.

>read book

: Kiss me, Kate, we will be married o' Sunday.
: By this point the minstrel has noticed Rosella with her nose stuck in the book. He starts leaning to get a better look.
: What are you reading there?
: It's one of my favorite books, the Compleat Works of William Shakespeare.
: Can I take a look?
: You can have it if you like.

>give book to minstrel

: Rosella hands the Shakespeare book to the minstrel. Curiously, he opens it and begins to read aloud; first hesitantly, then with increased forcefulness as he begins to get into it.
: What the... gently caress... did you... say to me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals!
: Suddenly, he stops and looks at Rosella.
: This is wonderful! This gives me a new lease on life! No longer am I a mere minstrel... now I will become a famous ACTOR! You can have this lute in exchange for your book!
: The minstrel hands Rosella his lute, bids her farewell, and walks off reading out loud from the book.

: For twelve years you've been asking "Who is John Galt!" This is John...

There's Pan. Now that we have the lute, we can play for him.

>play lute

: Pan has ceased his dancing and now looks at Rosella, and the lute, curiously. Once she finishes playing, Rosella walks over to the small satyr.
: Hello little guy. I'm Rosella.
: Pan doesn't respond, he just stares at Rosella with eyes as wide as saucers.
: Would you like this lute?
: Rosella holds the lute out for Pan. He gratefully takes it and gives her the flute in return. He then dances off, playing with his new instrument.

The area around this little gray house is our next destination. First, let's walk out onto the pier.

>look man

: Rosella sees a grizzled, old fisherman on the pier. Apparently, he isn't having any luck today.

A few seconds after you enter the screen, he packs up and walks back home.

>knock door

: Rosella loudly knocks on the shanty door.
: Jest come on in!

>talk to man

: No luck fishing?
: Them fish ain't been bitin' lately. If things don't git better soon, I don't know WHAT to do!

>talk to woman

: Hello ma'am.
: What're you doin' in here, young lady?! Can't you see I'm busy?! We have enough problems without worryin' 'bout you!

This couple is pretty poor, and Rosella has a box of infinite gold at home. So she doesn't need a pouch of diamonds. Maybe they can make better use of it?

>give pouch to man

: Rosella offers the pouch of diamonds to the fisherman, who takes it gladly.
: Wife, give the girl my fishing pole in trade.
: Obediently, she retrieves the pole and hands it to Rosella.
: Thank you very much. You have certainly helped us.

>talk to man

: You've really helped me, and the missus, girlie! Those diamonds will come in awful handy. We can't thank ya enough!

>talk to woman

: You're a very kind girl. You've helped us out a lot. Why, I might even be able ta buy some bran' new clothes!

>bait pole

: Scrunching up her delicate nose, Rosella gingerly baits the hook of the fishing pole with the large earthworm.

NEXT TIME: Let's go fishing. Also, the requisite "what the gently caress Sierra" moment of the game.

List of Points

+3 - Traded for a lute
+3 - Upgraded to a flue
+3 - Traded priceless diamonds for an old fishing pole
+1 - Baited the hook

Total: 37/230

Register of Deaths

Tree hugging
Ogre randomly appearing

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
According to the edition of the King's Quest Companion I had (early enough that its KQV coverage was merely speculation about what a fifth game might be about), Roberta Williams originally wanted to make it possible to trade the gold ball to the fisherman, thus making it impossible to complete the frog puzzle. (I guess that early version also didn't allow you to pick up the ball again after kissing the frog?) In the end, she decided against it, so it's not as bad as it could have been. Granted, the game still doesn't prevent you from giving away the diamonds before getting the lantern, so it's hardly forgiving.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't think anyone should be surprised by that, not after three previous KQ games :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I shudder to think what Lolotte would do to an actual princess. I suppose a peasant at least can be useful to anyone.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Man, I shudder to think what Lolotte would do to an actual princess. I suppose a peasant at least can be useful to anyone.

Bathe in her blood, consume her still-beating heart and wear her skin as a suit? What do witches normally do with princesses anyways other than locking them into towers? No, seriously, Rapunzel is the only fairy tale I can think of where the witch already had a princess in her clutches..

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

DoubleNegative posted:

: What the... gently caress... did you... say to me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals!

: For twelve years you've been asking "Who is John Galt!" This is John...

These cracked me up far more than I think they should have. You're good people.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what's the Navy Seals quote from?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Aces High posted:

what's the Navy Seals quote from?

4chan. Sadly.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/navy-seal-copypasta

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

On the subject of random bullshit death screens... there's one more lurking in KQV :ssh:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Randalor posted:

Bathe in her blood, consume her still-beating heart and wear her skin as a suit? What do witches normally do with princesses anyways other than locking them into towers? No, seriously, Rapunzel is the only fairy tale I can think of where the witch already had a princess in her clutches..

There's an obscure fairytale where a witch turns a princess into a bird, and Snow White's Queen is a witch in some versions, and then there's an ooooold version of Sleeping Beauty (the one where a passing king rapes her and she gives birth while comatose) where the prince's step-mother wasn't a witch but an ogre that wanted to eat Talia and her children out of jealousy. Then there's brother, sister where the stepmother enchanted the waters as the siblings ran away - turning the brother into a deer, and eventually succeeding in killing the sister and replacing her with her own daughter.

Honestly, tho given how relative derivative King's Quest is about fairy tales, I doubt we'll see those more obscure tales.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I'd say those tales are too Grimm for KQ. Pun somewhat intended.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Why, yes, hello! :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello and welcome back to King's Quest IV.

Last time we gave away a bag full of priceless diamonds to a very poor family. In exchange we got a weathered fishing pole. A good trade, no?

Our next destination is off in the ocean over to the left. But before we do that, we need to

>fish

: Eagerly, from the end of the pier, Rosella flings the baited line of the fishing pole into the ocean.

Five failed attempts later...

: Almost immediately, Rosella feels a sharp tug on the line! Something pulls and fights her line as she slowly reels it in. There it is! She has caught herself a fine fat fish.

Armed with our new fish, let's go for a swim. Be sure to save.

And here we have yet another screen where a hostile NPC can spawn that will kill you if it gets close. Here I was bragging on King's Quest 4 for not having this bullshit and it goes and makes a liar out of me. :mad:

In reality, I had to go back and forth several times to get the shark to show up. More often than not, the screen was empty, or had the other encounter on it. If the shark touches you, Rosella drowns and...

: You make a tasty morsel for that hungry shark!

So let's just skip ahead to the other shore. This little island is just on the other side of the screen the shark appeared on. This is where Genesta lives. It's a 3x3 grid, with Genesta's castle being in the middle square.

The island has a weird form of compression going on, where if you walk around the outside edge, it's 2x3. But if you go up from where Rosella is standing, you find the middle 3 squares.

It's a very pretty island, though.

Finally on the last beach square I check, we find what I've been looking for. This peacock has shed a feather.

>look ground

: Something catches Rosella's eye! Why, it's a beautiful peacock feather. She takes it.

>look

: Rosella sees the azure ocean stretching in front of her as she stands on the beach of this marvelous island. Behind her, set amidst a beautiful garden, rises a splendid ivory tower.

With the feather in tow, we can now return to the mainland.

: Rosella decides to take a swim in the ocean to wake herself up.

: It doesn't work.

: Too tired to swim anymore, Rosella's body gives out as she joins Davey Jones in his locker.

Oh hey, a whale! Let's go investigate.

This screen. This loving... this screen.

>look

: Horrors! Rosella has been swallowed by a huge whale. This place stinks!

>look skeleton

: The skeleton of an unlucky man (let's call him James) rests atop the wreckage of a small boat.

>get bottle

>open bottle

: Rosella opens the glass bottle and retrieves the imprisoned note.

: Gee! There seems to be writing on the note!

:psyduck: This is, as far as I can tell, the only item in the game with a description.

>read note

: Anybody out there! I had a condor drop this bottle in the nearest ocean to beg for help with King's Quest I. Help me fight this fire-breathing dragon!
: I see a beautiful mermaid in King's Quest II, but she won't help me. Tell me what to do!
: Help me! I'm lost at sea in King's Quest III! I'm with a bunch of nasty pirates who want to feed me to the sharks! If you can, come quick!
: Help! I'm about to get blasted by evil Sariens in Space Quest! Anybody have a handy ray gun out there?
: Sludge Vohaul is holding me prisoner in Space Quest II! Help me out of this jam!
: Drug dealers are terrorizing the city of Lytton! I need a partner to help put away these bad guys in Police Quest!
: Help! The girls in Leisure-Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards are mighty uncooperative. Give me some help here, guys!
: I'm a little kid, and my name's Tommy. I'm having trouble with Old King Cole and Humpty Dumpty in Mixed-Up Mother Goose! Come and help me!
: Hey, I need help here! The wicked Horned King has had me thrown into his dungeon! If I don't get out of here, then evil will rule the world in The Black Cauldron!

Illuminating, but not helpful to us.

>look

: The whale's throat and mouth are enormous! Huge teeth, a great tongue, and yes... even a large uvula. What's that, you say? Well, suffice it to say, it looks like a big punching bag and hangs down from the top of the throat. See, you learn something new every day!

Hmm I wonder if that's a hint.

>look boat

: There's nothing in the old boat. It didn't help James and it won't help you.

Around 4 and a half minutes after first entering the whale stomach, according to the VirtualDub timeline, Rosella finally dies. So you can't hang around here forever.

So if we want to get out of this hellhole, we need to do something to the whale's uvula.

There's a slight problem with that. In order to get to the uvula, we need to climb the whale's tongue.

The path shown in the gif is, as far as I'm aware, the only viable way to get to the top of the tongue.

Nidoking posted:

I always climb up the left side of the tongue, so I know it's possible. I'm pretty sure the paths are mirrored. I don't know why it would be easier to climb one side than the other. It's still a pretty garbage series of puzzles, though, and more of the "You can go anywhere you want, but you need to do these specific things in this specific order" that started to dominate Sierra games around this time.

Any deviations cause Rosella to fall down again. In fact, the gif shows the exact wrong thing to do as well. When you eventually do get to the top of the tongue, you sure as hell don't walk around. You loving save so you don't have to do it again! Spoilers, I walk too far and save right as I'm about to fall off. So I have to climb back up yet again.

There is literally no way to know where the valid path is beyond blindly guessing and trying from there. You can also make quite a bit of progress from other spots, but they always end in failure. My trial run I was able to make it 75% across the tongue from the left side before running into a dead end everywhere I tried.

After falling I don't even want to know how many times, we're finally at the center of the tongue. So how do we get out?

>tickle uvula with feather

: Rosella frantically tickles the throat of the whale with the big peacock feather. She begins to feel a quiver under her feet, which quickly turns into a mighty tremble. Suddenly, she hears a thunderous AAAAACCCCHHHHOOOOOOOOO! and she is swept out of the whale's mouth, in a tremendous wave of ocean water!

I want to point out that the whale can and will show up as you are crossing the ocean over to Genesta's island. So if you see it and go investigate, you can wind up in its mouth with no way to escape.

: Again, Rosella finds herself swimming in the ocean.

Let's go to that island we can see due north.

In the last update, in the teaser bit at the end, I wasn't referring to the whale when I mentioned the "what the gently caress Sierra" moment. It was this island.

>look island

: Rosella has found herself stranded upon a desert island. Also, it seems, have others before her. The small island is nothing more than a sand bar, decorated with two lonely palm trees... and various shipwrecks.

>look shipwreck

: It looks as if many an unlucky sailor has been stranded here. Rosella sees a glint coming from one of the wrecked boats on the beach.

This right here is the "what the gently caress" moment. That little hint wasn't in the original, AGI, version of this game. Indeed, you had to use your psychic powers to guess that there were two items hidden on this screen.

>look glint

: Rosella sees a glint coming from inside the boat.

>look ground

: Rosella looks at the ground inside the wrecked boat. What is this? Why, it's a golden bridle! She picks it up and carries it with her.

Yet again, a member of Graham's family finds themselves in possession of a golden bridle.

>wear bridle

: You can't do that now.

>look bird

: A pelican visits you on this desert island.

Well, at least we have a bird friend. I wonder if he's hungry...

>throw fish to bird

: Rosella throws the stinky, dead fish to the pelican. Greedily, he catches it in his large bill. As he does so, she notices something shiny fall from his bill, onto the ground.

>look ground

: A shiny whistle lies on the ground. Rosella takes it.

: Rosella puts the shiny, silver whistle to her lips and forcefully blows into it, producing a lout TWEEEEEEEEEEET! To her astonishment, a friendly dolphin appears just off-shore and jabbers excitedly at her.

>look dolphin

: A bottle-nose dolphin pokes its nose out of the water and chatters noisily.

>talk to dolphin

: Rosella talks to the dolphin, and it chatters back.

>ride dolphin

The distance back to shore is functionally far enough that you would drown trying to swim back yourself. So, I hope you found the golden bridle on that island, because you ain't going back.

NEXT TIME: We deliver the unicorn to Lolotte

List of Points

+3 - Fishing
+2 - Big beautiful feather
+5 - Whale tickling
+3 - Clairvoyance
+4 - Pelican friend
+2 - Shiny whistle
+2 - Blew into whistle
+2 - Rode a dolphin

Total

60/230

Register of Deaths

We're gonna need a bigger boat
Swimming while tired
Wasting away in a whale's mouth

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 20, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I always climb up the left side of the tongue, so I know it's possible. I'm pretty sure the paths are mirrored. I don't know why it would be easier to climb one side than the other. It's still a pretty garbage series of puzzles, though, and more of the "You can go anywhere you want, but you need to do these specific things in this specific order" that started to dominate Sierra games around this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So wait, the whale tongue... all we got was the bottle from that?

• Locked thread