Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there any way to doctor mayonnaise so it's more like japanese mayo, or maybe a recipe to just make it myself? poo poo's expensive and gets used up quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Is there any way to doctor mayonnaise so it's more like japanese mayo, or maybe a recipe to just make it myself? poo poo's expensive and gets used up quickly.

make normal mayo but use cider vinegar instead of lemon juice or white vinegar and add msg

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
There's also a Kewpie mayo recipe on Serious Eats.

Just Hungry's take (with Kewpie-ification recipe towards the bottom).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Awesome thanks, guys! I've been trying to diet so I'm making a couple sushi rolls every day out of just the random stuff in my fridge - krab, daikon, takuan, cucumbers, enoki, tempura battered green onions and sweet potatoes, etc (down 10-15 lbs so far).. I tried to make a spicy tuna roll the other day with some home-canned salmon but my mayo just didn't cut it, no matter how much sriracha I added I could still taste the Kraft in it.

Was still p good though, and cheaper than going to a restaurant and dropping 9-12 bucks on a sushi roll of similar size and ingredients.

Also, I bought some salted seaweed the other day and holy poo poo is it ever ridiculously salty, but I like the flavor and texture. Am I correct in assuming that you're supposed to rinse off the salt and/or soak this stuff to remove the excess salt? You can't eat more than like a teaspoon of it WITH the salt.. But it's pretty good in a sushi roll :)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 30, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Can you post a pic of the seaweed/package?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Can you post a pic of the seaweed/package?
Whoa wasn't expecting such a quick reply, I was going to make some rice and a couple of ugly rolls before I took pics of the package:

I have been rinsing it before using it in my nori rolls but wasn't sure if I was badly misutilizing it or something. I'd like to add it to a salad or something but it's just too salty as is. There were a bunch of other "flavors" of salted seaweed but I went for the basic one because I didn't really know how to use it or if I'd even like it (I do, it's better than the dried and reconstituted stuff I've been using).

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 30, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh! Usually I use dried miyeok, but if you're using salted miyeok, rinse it, then soak it in cold water for a while. If you're blanching it after, around 15 minutes of soaking time is okay. If you're not blanching it after, then it's a good idea to soak it overnight to draw out some excess salt. At least soak it for a few hours. That's a lot of salt.

I thought what you got might be seaweed stems, but I don't see that on the labeling. :iiam:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I often see something like shredded cabbage as a side dish in Japanese dishes. Is this thin sliced Western green cabbage, or Napa cabbage or something? Does it usually come with a dressing, or just on its own?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I often see something like shredded cabbage as a side dish in Japanese dishes. Is this thin sliced Western green cabbage, or Napa cabbage or something? Does it usually come with a dressing, or just on its own?

It's generally regular cabbage in my experience. Sometimes it's dressed in whatever sauce is served with the meal, or in mayonnaise, or with soy sauce. Dress it how you like.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've got a question about Musubi. I'd like to make some hawaiian spam Musubi but I wasn't hundred percent sure if the since they use sushi rice is it doctored with sushi seasoning or not. Can I get away with not using super high grade polished rice here? It seems wasteful and expensive, Spam' s not super cheap either.

Pollyanna posted:

Usually the cheap stuff in restaurants. It's sturdier so it won't wilt under a pile of gyoza or other hot foods like lettuce, and it keeps forever.

I mostly see it just raw and used as an edible bed in most take out, but you can make a pretty good salad w shredded cabbage and carrots, w maybe some green onion and mustard greens, with whatever cheap asian dressing u find at Wal-Mart.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

I've got a question about Musubi. I'd like to make some hawaiian spam Musubi but I wasn't hundred percent sure if the since they use sushi rice is it doctored with sushi seasoning or not. Can I get away with not using super high grade polished rice here? It seems wasteful and expensive, Spam' s not super cheap either.

Onigiri/omusubi are usually plain or lightly salted rice, rather than vinegared like in sushi. As long as the medium or short grain rice you use can stick together right, you're good to go. I saw brown rice onigiri at Tsukiji, so :shrug:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've never noticed "sushi" rices being particularly more expensive than any other premium rice. Is that just a factor of where I'm shopping? Places without a scarcity of choice so there's not much price premium. Or maybe nothing they carry is "real" sushi rice.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I use arborio/risotto rice if it's cheaper.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sextro posted:

I've never noticed "sushi" rices being particularly more expensive than any other premium rice. Is that just a factor of where I'm shopping? Places without a scarcity of choice so there's not much price premium. Or maybe nothing they carry is "real" sushi rice.
Sushi rice seems to cost roughly half again as much as Jasmine around here, but its hard to estimate since its hard to find polished short grain in bulk. Availability may be a part however in a Oregon college town the asian population is pretty high yet i cant find sushi grade in many stores.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Buy Calrose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Calrose or Botan are good choices. I use Botan myself.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

It's generally regular cabbage in my experience. Sometimes it's dressed in whatever sauce is served with the meal, or in mayonnaise, or with soy sauce. Dress it how you like.

coyo7e posted:

Usually the cheap stuff in restaurants. It's sturdier so it won't wilt under a pile of gyoza or other hot foods like lettuce, and it keeps forever.

I mostly see it just raw and used as an edible bed in most take out, but you can make a pretty good salad w shredded cabbage and carrots, w maybe some green onion and mustard greens, with whatever cheap asian dressing u find at Wal-Mart.

Huh, so it's basically a garnish. Maybe that salad idea can help spruce it up a bit, it'll taste well alongside heavier, more oily dishes (fried poo poo).

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made the serious eats hiyashi chuka recipe with the ramen recipe posted earlier. excellent for the heat wave in my area

large hands fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 3, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Did you make the chashu? Looks great!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Stringent posted:

Did you make the chashu? Looks great!

no, only the noodles were homemade. I'm fortunate to have cheap fresh Chinese bbq pork available locally, so it's not quite Japanese rolled chashu style.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Chinese is usually better anyhow, lots of good ramen places in Tokyo use it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pollyanna posted:

Huh, so it's basically a garnish. Maybe that salad idea can help spruce it up a bit, it'll taste well alongside heavier, more oily dishes (fried poo poo).
In that context it is. I eat the hell out of cabbage at home though. It's got lots of vitamins and is easier to cook than kale or collards etc.

I often sub in stuff like broccoli greens instead though if my garden is popping.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made some chashu to eat with miso ramen

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

large hands posted:

made some chashu to eat with miso ramen

:drat: This looks delicious!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is chashu sort of like porcetta?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Is chashu sort of like porcetta?

Braised and then usually seared rather than roasted. Similar in spirit?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cool, thanks.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
yeah it's rolled pork belly braised in soy, mirin and sake until tender then you can crisp it if you like. recipe is kenji's from serious eats. it's a pretty standard ramen topping.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

poo poo, I could make cha shu in my Instant Pot if I wanted. :aaa:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So today I decided to try out making my own Japanese-style curry powder along the guidelines Maki posted at Just Hungry like, a decade or so ago. I decided I wanted to make about a pint, so I figured that should be about 340 g of dry ingredients. I ended up with 3 cups-ish volume-wise of some really intense-smelling curry powder. Here's the link if you're interested in following along. I didn't use all of the optional ingredients, since I want to tinker with this and come up with something tailored more to my tastes.

119 g turmeric powder
85 g coriander seeds
51 g cumin
34 g cardamom seeds
17 g black peppercorns
4 g hot chili pepper (I used whole, dried tien tsin chilis)
14 g cloves
5 g fennel seeds
3 g Ceylon cinnamon
4 g bay leaves (which turns out to be kind of a lot of bay leaves)
3 g nutmeg
2 g allspice berries

I only toasted the coriander seeds, but, if you want to toast your spices but aren't sure how to start, here's what I've done... You're going to lightly roast them in a skillet. I'd recommend any non-nonstick skillet just to avoid the risks of accidentally fuming the coating. Don't toast powders when you make a spice mix, generally speaking -- they're easy to burn. Don't toast turmeric powder, granulated garlic, or ginger powder, like, ever. You should toast most spices separately. I toasted all mine pretty lightly over medium heat, just until fragrant. I did not toast the allspice, nutmeg, or bay leaves, since toasting doesn't really add much there. Afterwards, I ground up everything and packed it in jars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sell me on homemade Japanese curry powder. I always use the packaged blocks because when I bother to get out my whole spices and start toasting and grinding, I'd rather just make actual Indian food instead.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Sell me on homemade Japanese curry powder. I always use the packaged blocks because when I bother to get out my whole spices and start toasting and grinding, I'd rather just make actual Indian food instead.

I'm not a good marketer. If you're grinding everything manually, it's not worth your time, stick to the packaged blocks. Same for if you don't have all the ingredients. I ran out of any kind of curry powder or roux a while ago, but I keep an excessive spice collection because yeah, actual Indian food is delicious.

Quality-wise, the intensity of flavor and aroma from the homemade blend is way better than the roux blocks, and you can control the flavor and heat better. Extra hot is never hot. Personally, I also like the extra flexibility of powder versus roux, but you can buy Japanese curry powder; that's a pretty big convenience point in its favor (if you can find it; I never see it anywhere except this one shop where it's always a year or more out of date yet inexplicably remains on the shelf month after month. gently caress that, if I want jars of dust, I'll check out the ashes on my mantle).

It's still less of a pain in the rear end than making your own curry paste. I also get a perverse enjoyment out of cloning commercial food products. I don't know why.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I've had good results with using the curry roux and just punching it up a little. Some garam masala (made in advance), a bit of curry powder, some fresh garlic and ginger, and it just seems to give it that little push to something special. That, and mixing two different roux flavors seems to make it a bit more interesting too.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, I always just add spices to the roux. I've followed Maki's instructions to make curry powder before and been underwhelmed. I know I used good-quality spices, too.

I am literally sad every time I make curry and it doesn't taste like Coco :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I might just try adding some of my normal garam masala to it. It looks like the biggest difference from a generic Indian one is the huge amount of turmeric the Japanese mix uses.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

here's my sell : use the loving blocks

japanese curry is pretty weak sauce, and you're right about just wanting to make actual indian food at that point.

there's not a single goddamn japanese person slaving meticulously over getting the freshest spices to hand grind for Japanese Curry

it's some poo poo that 7-11 got sold on about the time instant ramen became a thing, and S&B grew into a business and here we are.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Adding garam masala does make the regular stuff nicer. Also, no, I don't think making the powder yourself is more authentic. It was mostly for fun, as I said before. Wouldn't have tried it if I had to hand grind all that stuff, that's for drat sure.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mindphlux posted:

here's my sell : use the loving blocks

japanese curry is pretty weak sauce, and you're right about just wanting to make actual indian food at that point.

there's not a single goddamn japanese person slaving meticulously over getting the freshest spices to hand grind for Japanese Curry

it's some poo poo that 7-11 got sold on about the time instant ramen became a thing, and S&B grew into a business and here we are.

Somebody's never been to Moyan Curry I see.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Japanese curry is awesome and I will fight you over a plate of Go! Go! Curry. :colbert:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Japanese curry roux is just butter, curry powder, garam masala, and flour. I make my own roux and experiment with different blends see which particular curry powder/garam masala I like best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This an ok place to ask about TakoYaki? I got one of those little electric skillet things and some Nissin TakoYaki flour/dry batter. I added the egg and the water and threw some little mushroom bits in for my kids and shrimp diced up in mine. For a first time, it came out well, however, I could use some tips.

1) Most often, even using techniquie I picked up quickly for turning, I had incomplete death star balls. Open edges or sides. Is this from waiting too long to make the first flip? (ie: more batter cooks and thus less pours out when you flip it to flill in the new southern hemisphere...

2) I got this one by Yamazen. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NSCM28A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It reviewed well and I have no major complaints, but something that was mentioned (that I totally now 'get' is the size of the ball seems a bit on the small side for putting ANYTHING inside. Is there a better TakoYaki pan/appliance that makes, um... bigger balls? (heh.)

[Ed]

These are about the size of a small bouncy ball. A little too small for easy filling...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 22, 2017