Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

"Overpowered protagonist" tag makes this seem rather unappealing.

Well hes a D&D wizard so its impossible for him not to be overpowered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

If he's a level 20 3.5 wizard in a "gritty" fantasy world, sure. But that's hardly the only possible take on the D&D wizard in a non-vancian world premise. Contrast that line about "the untold arcane power of 3rd level spells" in the excerpt from Harry Potter and the Natural 20.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, he's a max level d&d wizard. 9th level spells and all the bullshit that entails.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

He practically shits himself in terror when he finds out that "Dominate Person" and "Finger of Death" are at-will spells in potterland.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Two of you on this page are talking about Milo from HP20 and the other two are talking about the one from the D&D isekai.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
In other news kumoko finally had an update today. Maybe we'll get more then 5 chapters in this upcoming batch this time.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
If we're reccing fanfic, I'd like to rec something in a similar vein, an original xianxia quest called Forge of Destiny. A quest is basically like a forum game where all the questers control a single character and vote on actions or decisions that the character does, and the Quest Master responds with the results and controls all non-protagonist characters. Like web novels, quest posts can vary in quality.

In this case, I think Forge of Destiny is a lot of fun with minimal 'game' aspects for story post readers, it's well written, and it updates pretty regularly. It's got an interesting world, if influenced by Chinese culture, and side characters feel distinct and have agency / their own adventures. One of my favorite side characters would usually be considered an antagonist in these types of stories (by trope / genre) but her development has been very unique.

Fair warning - there is a bit of tense switch-up and 2nd person / 3rd person mixups in the beginning posts, but it's sorted out as the story continues.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 9, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ugh man kumo's going Star Wars Prequel territory.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The best fanfiction I've read was the Stargate X-com crossover. The author makes a fuckton of "duh, why didn't we think of that?" moments, like cutting off most of the staff on the Jaffa Staff blasters and attaching it to a rotary for a rotary staff blaster. Or by getting lawyers to out lawyer aliens in alien court, or by opening diplomatic relations and trade with alien nations with things they don't have like spices and chocolate.

It can be found here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3631062/1/XSGCOM-Mirror-Image

Also I have to advise you, 99.995% of the stories on that fanfiction site as far as I am willing to look are crap, this one is not one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Synthbuttrange posted:

ugh man kumo's going Star Wars Prequel territory.
I probably wouldn't mind this long flashback in the middle of the climax of the story if it didn't coincide with the author's output dropping to one chapter per month.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Katreus posted:

If we're reccing fanfic, I'd like to rec something in a similar vein, an original xianxia quest called Forge of Destiny. A quest is basically like a forum game where all the questers control a single character and vote on actions or decisions that the character does, and the Quest Master responds with the results and controls all non-protagonist characters. Like web novels, quest posts can vary in quality.

In this case, I think Forge of Destiny is a lot of fun with minimal 'game' aspects for story post readers, it's well written, and it updates pretty regularly. It's got an interesting world, if influenced by Chinese culture, and side characters feel distinct and have agency / their own adventures. One of my favorite side characters would usually be considered an antagonist in these types of stories (by trope / genre) but her development has been very unique.

Fair warning - there is a bit of tense switch-up and 2nd person / 3rd person mixups in the beginning posts, but it's sorted out as the story continues.

A little off-topic, but:

We actually have these on Something Awful as well. Check this subforum out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=103

Here they are under the CYOA label. Paradise Lost, in particular, has gone on for over 4 years and is a huge read-through in its own right. Complete with a handy recap that is still massive as gently caress. In it, goons play as a dude in a swords and sandals world complete with gods, demons, superhuman kings, sorcerers, and mighty men. It has its own issues but I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to get into games like this. Fair warning: one of the draws of it, that can be frustrating at times, is that you do not see the mechanics going on. The players basically control a dude, and what is learned about the world and how it works, is what you know.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/pet-king/

rvm
May 6, 2013

"Therefore, if one needed to make a priority, then: whoever owned cats, owned the world."

I wish it could be a thread title, but that would be misleading.

I'm also watching Fighter Of The Destiny (Way Of Choices) TV adaptation and it's very entertaining despite really weird subs and PS2 CG. They're pulling off genius MC just right so far (episode 19). I haven't touched the source material.

rvm fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 14, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually if you own a cat you will quickly learn that all of your possessions belong to said cat now

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

actually if you own a cat you will quickly learn that all of your possessions belong to said cat now

Actually, I think you'll find that your possessions always belonged to the cat, you just didn't know until you got the cat.

rvm posted:

I haven't touched the source material.

You're missing out.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i watched a few random episodes of the show and the story seems a lot different from the source material. like they took the same characters and relationships and just did something different with them

the subs are all up on youtube if anyone is interested, i think the tv station or whatever put it out themselves. its a pretty cheesy production

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i got caught up with master of the stars. it's still objectively terrible, but the flashes of the author's personal experiences are hilarious. after yet another bizarre drug-induced out of body stream of consciousness adventure, he wakes up in the hospital covered in small wounds and thinks that he might be in trouble. his solution? more drug induced out of body stream of consciousness adventures. the way he ignores all the good advice he receives about getting his poo poo together because he is so sure he is fine and has everything under control seems very real to me.

there was also a scene where the mc's family was worried he had a psychotic break because their family history, his erratic behavior, and newfound habit of talking to himself (he was actually talking to a super secret esper organization via an undetectable implant lol). he reacted by trying to get the doctor to sell him drugs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 18, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm a little burnt out on Honzuki (I love it but man it's a slow slow burn sometimes) so I've been looking around for other series with a good level of adorable and world building. I just started up Death March Kara Hajimaru something-or-other which appears to have a pretty cute cast.

Anyone have other recommendations that fit the two requirements of: adorable and good world building?
Untranslated stuff is fine.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Getsuya posted:

I'm a little burnt out on Honzuki (I love it but man it's a slow slow burn sometimes) so I've been looking around for other series with a good level of adorable and world building. I just started up Death March Kara Hajimaru something-or-other which appears to have a pretty cute cast.

Anyone have other recommendations that fit the two requirements of: adorable and good world building?

Kita no Toride nite fits adorable, at least. Maybe world building too.

Kenkyo Kenjitsu is adorable, but not fantasy, so there's no particular world building.

Mushoku Tensei and Lapis no Shinzou have good world building, but are not all that adorable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
death march is a slavery fetish wn, so it's not terribly adorable either.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

What? Jesus, I wasn't expecting that from the art. Thanks for the warning. Good thing I was just reading it free and hadn't bought any of the published volumes yet.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Getsuya posted:

The Snow Country Hunting Life of the Northern Nobleman and the Raptor Wife is amazingly adorable and there's some world building centered around the tribe they live in? Not much, though.

Uchi to Musume seems cute, and it's fantasy so definite world building. I haven't read enough to see whether it becomes awful or not...

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

devildragon777 posted:

Uchi to Musume seems cute, and it's fantasy so definite world building. I haven't read enough to see whether it becomes awful or not...

I've only read the manga adaptation so far, but it seems really nice. And I don't see any of the big red flags in the Tags section, so here's hoping it stays that way!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I read the first volume of 十歳の最強魔導師 which definitely was very adorable (and without anything you could call creepy).
But it was also kind of boring, and the writing felt even more amateurish than usual(even though I read the LN version, not the original on Narou) , so i didn't bother with it past the first volume.

I've also read and liked the first 3 volumes of 鑑定能力で調合師になります. It's refreshing, because the main character isn't overpowered for once. It's quite comfy and mostly about him figuring out alchemy by trial and error, or walking around the town to shop for things. There isn't much action, and the few battles there are only have him supporting from the back, while actual adventurers fight.
Cons: The economics make no sense. The main character has also started figuring out potions that can be be used offensively, and the story seems to be moving into a harem-y direction, so I might have to retract that recommendation eventually.

This one is also available on Narou, but from skimming the first few chapters, it seems like the published release was edited quite heavily. The web novel starts with the main character getting stuck with the "useless" appraisal skill (he thought it would be the ultimate cheat ability, but there are no stats or levels in the world, so the only thing it's good for is appraising items). He kinda grudgingly decides to become an alchemist after being laughed out of the adventurers guild.

In the novel version, he's a huge fan of crafting games (basically the Atelier series) and specifically wants to become an alchemist right from the beginning.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

devildragon777 posted:

:dadjoke: Comics

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought uchi no musume started with a doting adoptive dad and then kept doubling down on how doting he was until it got kinda unnerving. there's no questionable content there, though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Are there any out there about whole families? I know there's a bunch with just a dad and daughter or big bro/little sis etc but are there any with like a mom, dad and kids? Or siblings and their parents? I love family stories.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

devildragon777 posted:

The Snow Country Hunting Life of the Northern Nobleman and the Raptor Wife is amazingly adorable and there's some world building centered around the tribe they live in? Not much, though.

Gonna second Raptor Wife for the high quality cuteness.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Kita no Toride nite fits adorable, at least. Maybe world building too.

Kenkyo Kenjitsu is adorable, but not fantasy, so there's no particular world building.

Mushoku Tensei and Lapis no Shinzou have good world building, but are not all that adorable.

I'll second the recommendation for Kenkyo Kenjitsu. I'm reading it now and almost caught up to the raws. It's the first WN I've read in the "Reincarnated into the rich villain girl in an otome game/shojo manga" genre, and I'm really enjoying it, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

I dunno if I'd quite call it slavery fetish. Some of the girls are slaves the MC rescued, but it's not a huge part of the story. It's not like the worst of these stories where the MC can't find companionship without buying it.

Death March isn't great or anything, but I thought it was an okay read.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not the focus, but it absolutely 100% fetishizes slavery. they choose to remain slaves because it is convenient but it's okay since the person who literally owns them as property is so nice!

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

it's not the focus, but it absolutely 100% fetishizes slavery. they choose to remain slaves because it is convenient but it's okay since the person who literally owns them as property is so nice!

Let's not forget the fetishization of super young girls. The protagonist claims he hates lolis but CLEARLY the author thinks they're the sexiest thing on earth and makes sure you know too.

Also, the writing style is the dumbest thing I've ever encountered. Fights are "So, I used [Game Skill] followed by [Game Skill] to defeat its [Game Skill]". The embodiment of "tell, not show."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Kenkyo Kenjitsu. I'm reading it now and almost caught up to the raws. It's the first WN I've read in the "Reincarnated into the rich villain girl in an otome game/shojo manga" genre, and I'm really enjoying it, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

What I like about Kenkyo Kenjitsu is that it emphasizes its comedy aspects above any sort of wish fulfillment. Like, up to where I am (which is presumably however far was translated as of a couple months ago) the main character still has no obvious love interests, other than possibly Enjou (I think that's the manga love interest's friend's name)..

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i could never quite figure out why there are so many of that incredibly specific genre that are completely and utterly humorless.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Risou no Himo Seikatsu is also an okay read, or at least the bit that's been translated so far is.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well my search for a truly adorable WN turned up this one with a long title that is something like 'Doing my Best to Pet Everything in the Other World'

It's about petting magical creatures and not much else, so far. It's pretty dang adorable.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bai Xiaochun is back baby

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/awe-index/awe-chapter-69/

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Those toes are freaking me out

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Bakanogami posted:

Death March isn't great or anything, but I thought it was an okay read.

Death March just feels like a bland pile of nothing, I got like 80 chapters in before dropping and I can't remember anything that actually happened.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Death March just feels like a bland pile of nothing, I got like 80 chapters in before dropping and I can't remember anything that actually happened.

MC going to a bordello instead of boning his harem of slaves was a nice change of pace, though I expect it will be "in addition to" soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
In terrible murderhobo webnovel land, Demon Girl just ended an arc and they seem to have found a portal back to Japan and will now be murder-hoboing there instead of in fantasy land. :black101: