Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Dennis McClaren posted:

I hope this makes sense..

If I have a skill like say Reave, or Viper Strike that I use as a melee attack, and the weapon I use with that skill is enchanted with some sort of elemental or chaos damage (like say wpn adds +10-15 cold damage)... Does the Reave or Viper Strike (whatever) attack skill get the bonus from the weapon, in addition to the effects of the Attack Skill? Or does the weapon's effects get over-rided by the Attack Skills effects?

Added to

Now, there are some caveats:

1. Modifiers are either local or global. The ones on your weapon that says "Adds x-y <type> damage" are local. Now let's say you're using Reave, which works on claws/daggers/1H swords, but have an axe in your offhand. Its local modifiers don't affect Reave because that weapon isn't actually used in the attack. If it had "x% increased attack speed" however, that's global, which means that even though said axe isn't being used, you'll attack faster with Reave. Added damage modifiers not on weapons will be global.
2. Conversions and overrides. Conversions may increase/decrease and will change the type of damage. Going back to that added cold damage, let's say you allocated Avatar of Fire. All of your damage will only ever be fire, but only 50% of elemental and physical damage is converted. Then you'll have overrides like Brutality, which flat out make it so you don't deal any damage that's not physical. That added cold damage could be 300-400, but you'll get absolutely nothing out of it.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Dennis McClaren posted:

I hope this makes sense..

If I have a skill like say Reave, or Viper Strike that I use as a melee attack, and the weapon I use with that skill is enchanted with some sort of elemental or chaos damage (like say wpn adds +10-15 cold damage)... Does the Reave or Viper Strike (whatever) attack skill get the bonus from the weapon, in addition to the effects of the Attack Skill? Or does the weapon's effects get over-rided by the Attack Skills effects?
In your case the weapon bonus damage would be added to the skill.

You can tell if your skill is affected by your weapon by checking the list of skill tags at the top of the window you get when you mouse over the gem. "Attack" skills take weapon damage into account and are usually described as "deals x% of attack damage." "Spell" skills don't care about weapon damage at all, but usually gain a lot more power when the skill levels up.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Ok great, that makes sense. Thank you.
I was advised by another goon in guild chat to just sell all the magic rare's I get that I won't use to the vendors for now, since I'm only lv24.
At what level should I start holding onto the stuff that I can't use to sell on poe.trade, instead of turning it into vendor trash. Basically at what level do magic rare gear drops start becoming valuable? I'm low level at 24 so it will probably be awhile..

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dennis McClaren posted:

I was advised by another goon in guild chat to just sell all the magic rare's I get that I won't use to the vendors for now, since I'm only lv24.
At what level should I start holding onto the stuff that I can't use to sell on poe.trade, instead of turning it into vendor trash. Basically at what level do magic rare gear drops start becoming valuable? I'm low level at 24 so it will probably be awhile..
the overwhelming majority of yellow items you pick up at every level will be vendor trash. No point keeping anything that isnt a direct upgrade to your gear, till maybe level 50ish.

Once its got a bunch of life and high resistances on it, then they start to be worth something.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dennis McClaren posted:

you're always gonna vendor like 99% of the rares you find

it's just that once you hit maps (~68) you start looking out for the good stuff while selling your rares

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Thats good news. I'm having a blast just leveling and burning through poo poo, I really didn't want to have to slow down to worry about loot; other than just normal upgrades.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

Thats good news. I'm having a blast just leveling and burning through poo poo, I really didn't want to have to slow down to worry about loot; other than just normal upgrades.

Eww leveling.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Every now and then I get item drops that have T0 rolls on them as if they were made by essences. Where are they coming from?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I just found an ~800 evasion 6L armour with +life and resists but it's corrupted and has 3 red/2 blue/1 green sockets. Is it worth anything or does the corruption ruin it?

6L corrupted rares with good stats are valuable if they have off-color sockets. Or even if they don't. I'm saying sell that poo poo. You can probably get upwards of 20c.

whypick1 posted:

Added to

Now, there are some caveats:

1. Modifiers are either local or global. The ones on your weapon that says "Adds x-y <type> damage" are local. Now let's say you're using Reave, which works on claws/daggers/1H swords, but have an axe in your offhand. Its local modifiers don't affect Reave because that weapon isn't actually used in the attack. If it had "x% increased attack speed" however, that's global, which means that even though said axe isn't being used, you'll attack faster with Reave. Added damage modifiers not on weapons will be global.
2. Conversions and overrides. Conversions may increase/decrease and will change the type of damage. Going back to that added cold damage, let's say you allocated Avatar of Fire. All of your damage will only ever be fire, but only 50% of elemental and physical damage is converted. Then you'll have overrides like Brutality, which flat out make it so you don't deal any damage that's not physical. That added cold damage could be 300-400, but you'll get absolutely nothing out of it.

Attack speed on a weapon is a local mod, bro.

Like the Help topic says, anything on an item that would affect the item itself and is not explicitly called "global" is going to be a local mod. Attack speed, damage, and crit are all local on weapons.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 19, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Just reposting, looking for help.

the very first marauder melee node is insane value, always take it
you can save one travel node around the templar area
get rid of the all stat and leech nodes, because you are going to path to VP (and get that cwdt setup)
get a second Weigth, Survival Skills is a placeholder I hope :colbert:

*looks at skills*

wait why do you even have one Weight so scratch the last part :psyduck:

https://pastebin.com/qvvhfEuc

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Woah, this is kind of a weird drop, but it's got me and my friends completely hooked on this game

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

McFrugal posted:

6L corrupted rares with good stats are valuable if they have off-color sockets. Or even if they don't. I'm saying sell that poo poo. You can probably get upwards of 20c.

That's 5 off-colours. Depending on exactly how much life and resists I'd guess a fair bit over 20c. Then again I'm kind of bad at pricing stuff so :shrug:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

That's 5 off-colours. Depending on exactly how much life and resists I'd guess a fair bit over 20c. Then again I'm kind of bad at pricing stuff so :shrug:

Yeah that's what I mean. He didn't say how much life or resists.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

euphronius posted:

Cyclone needs mana leech and a mana pool to feel ok so level with something else imho.

euphronius posted:

Ssf is a challenge league

Imho you'd have more fun playing standard since you have never done maps. Imho

euphronius posted:

The game is plenty hard and challenging even with trading . Imho .

euphronius posted:

Trading is easy

Shop for something good in the 1-20 chaos range and make a deal. Save up for big 200 c purchases or maybe you get a good drop.

Imho.

euphronius posted:

An Alch or chrom

Imho

Wowwww

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

U mad

Edit no wait eu mad

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sillybones posted:

Every now and then I get item drops that have T0 rolls on them as if they were made by essences. Where are they coming from?

There's a bunch of new hybrid mods like "life+armour". If you got that and also the old "life" one, then it would look the same to the item macro as an excessively good life roll and a crappy armour roll.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Woah, this is kind of a weird drop, but it's got me and my friends completely hooked on this game

lmfao

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

McFrugal posted:

Yeah that's what I mean. He didn't say how much life or resists.
Not sure what the best way to link it in here is.

6l rare destiny leather

779 evasion
+15 evasion
26% increased evasion
+55 life
+20 cold resist
+29 lightning resist
24% increased stun and block recovery
corrupted

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Argh, decisions.... I want to drop $60 on a supporter pack, and the outlaw armour set is way better looking than the harbinger one but doesn't come with a cool tiger.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it is a very good tiger

i think the outlaw armor looks pretty boring

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Qwertycoatl posted:

Argh, decisions.... I want to drop $60 on a supporter pack, and the outlaw armour set is way better looking than the harbinger one but doesn't come with a cool tiger.

get both :getin:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I really like the outlaw set with the 'shaper' hood or whatever it's called and the glowing blue harbinger eyes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I've been watching Uberelite's stream for a bit, and I'm actually glad they nerfed Beachheads, because elemental Animate Weapon deletes literally everything in seconds.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/TheuberClips/characters

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've decided rather than neurotically save every single type of currency/essense/whatever in the off-chance it will be more useful later I'm just gonna use everything whenever I want and be happy with cool items early on.

That said is there anything I should 100% not use anywhere but the endgame?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Pierson posted:

I've decided rather than neurotically save every single type of currency/essense/whatever in the off-chance it will be more useful later I'm just gonna use everything whenever I want and be happy with cool items early on.

Chaos orbs, gemcutter prisms, divine orbs, and exalted orbs (and mirrors if you have God's own luck) are generally more useful as currency than as crafting tools.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I got the tiger. It is a very good tiger. And the armour is at least significantly better than the tabula I'm using to level this guy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pierson posted:

Fusings are expensive right now so you're probably better off buying things linked than linking them yourself until endgame.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I really want that Pure Light armor set but I know that with my luck I will end up with 10 Beast Eyes decorations or something.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the very first marauder melee node is insane value, always take it
you can save one travel node around the templar area
get rid of the all stat and leech nodes, because you are going to path to VP (and get that cwdt setup)
get a second Weigth, Survival Skills is a placeholder I hope :colbert:

*looks at skills*

wait why do you even have one Weight so scratch the last part :psyduck:

https://pastebin.com/qvvhfEuc

I wish I saw your post before I reallocated all my drat lifeleech skill points like so:
https://pastebin.com/UKQjUzsw
But hey at least I'm at 205% life now, so yay?

I haven't been able to afford any real updated Jewels, nor do I even know what to really look for. The only reason I had those equipped was because I used to use Heavy Strike. And yeah Survival Skills was a placeholder - but mainly just a placeholder so I could get rid of Weight. I figured better 2 stats I could take advantage of than one.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Azran posted:

I really want that Pure Light armor set but I know that with my luck I will end up with 10 Beast Eyes decorations or something.

I see your beast eye and raise you 4 white ferns.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Not sure what the best way to link it in here is.

6l rare destiny leather

779 evasion
+15 evasion
26% increased evasion
+55 life
+20 cold resist
+29 lightning resist
24% increased stun and block recovery
corrupted

You can ctrl c and ctrl v to paste items.

like this:

Rarity: Unique
Pledge of Hands
Judgement Staff
--------
Staff
Quality: +20% (augmented)
Physical Damage: 73-136 (augmented)
Critical Strike Chance: 6.10%
Attacks per Second: 1.25
Weapon Range: 11
--------
Requirements:
Level: 68
Str: 113
Dex: 67
Int: 146
--------
Sockets: B-B-R-B-G R
--------
Item Level: 75
--------
18% Chance to Block
--------
Socketed Gems are Supported by level 30 Spell Echo
153% increased Spell Damage
100% increased maximum Mana
--------
"To shake a hand is to double your power."
- Jaetai, Queen's Advisor

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I have everything but the pure light wings and I.dont have the stomach.to keep buying packs till I get them

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone running the tornado shot mines? Looks fun as hell but I can't find a good guide.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
alright I give up, every build is shaper viable, gently caress em up fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7MRWglv95E

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Flavahbeast posted:

it's a girl????

Villa boss is a buffed up version of 'Caliga, Imperatrix' from 2nd floor of lower sceptre.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

alright I give up, every build is shaper viable, gently caress em up fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7MRWglv95E

That shield is very very good

Also I hit 36 challenges and wanted to share my attempt and making the Harbinger MTX look as good as possible.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

funmanguy posted:

That shield is very very good

Also I hit 36 challenges and wanted to share my attempt and making the Harbinger MTX look as good as possible.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
this league is my first time doing red maps extensively and aiming at eventually killing shaper and wew lad, this game desperately needs some kind of a kill log so you can actually tell why the gently caress you died when you get one shot

also should I run beachhead maps now or just save em in hopes that GGG "fixes" harbingers again, only for real this time

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Minrad posted:

tell why the gently caress you died when you get one shot

Your HP hit 0 :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
What should I be using my Ancient Orbs on?