Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't think they're talking about DC.

Yeah, the DC was great, don't get me wrong. For the bigger question of "how did this happen and how do we prevent it from happening again", there's a lot more to be done than just sacking the senior leadership and calling it mission accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, the DC was great, don't get me wrong. For the bigger question of "how did this happen and how do we prevent it from happening again", there's a lot more to be done than just sacking the senior leadership and calling it mission accomplished.

Yeah but from what what was said when someone talked to the admiral, when they said they weren't trained properly, the admiral basically said "No you're a liar, you were all trained great"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand how the CO is at fault when he was asleep in his cabin and he himself got hosed up, because he was asleep in his cabin at 2:00 in the morning like any normal person not on watch would be. :confused:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
His ship, his responsibility.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I still don't understand how the CO is at fault when he was asleep in his cabin and he himself got hosed up, because he was asleep in his cabin at 2:00 in the morning like any normal person not on watch would be. :confused:

Because that watch team is a direct reflection of the standards and rigor that he enforced in their qualifications. That's how it works. If this was a situation where it could be proven that the watchteam was willfully and purposefully disobeying the CO's standing orders there might be an argument made that the CO wasn't at fault (though I suspect that it still wouldn't have helped in this case), but that is certainly not the case here. It doesn't help any that he was also the XO for about 18 months prior to that, so he most definitely was their to qualify those people and see how good they were even before he took command. The overall lackadaisical attitude of the people on watch is a direct reflection on the Captain's ability to lead his ship and his sailors.

There's a reason I didn't sleep very much, or very well, while my ship was underway.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
They should also punish whoever made him the CO.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Anita Dickinme posted:

It makes sense to me. Hell, in the army, one dumb soldier doing a dumb thing may not get get a CO relieved, but if a convoy gets smashed by a semi-trailer and the investigation shows improper driver training, truck commanders (not the CO) listening to music with headphones or a boombox, a poorly planned or executed route, lack of a proper convoy brief, etc., the CO will eat poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sir Lucius posted:

:lol: Yeah that's how this works.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sir Lucius posted:

There's not a single choice maker in that decision. There is a fuckload that goes into screening for and getting a command spot and it isn't just at the whim of a single admiral.

With that said, when a skipper takes over a DDG he's taking full responsibility for everything that happens with his ship. 100% of the sailors onboard and the billion dollar warship is his responsibility. This comes with perks as a captain at sea has much more authority/power than any CO ashore, but his name is the bottom line for everything from watchstanding to liberty.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
So, to preface this, the Line of Duty report was released and Vice Admiral Aucoin didn't even know. That was fun to find out when talking with the Chaps after yet another Admiral's Call.

I found out through my family who told me that they hoped I was doing okay given the recent news. I hopped on Google and eventually found the LoD report and read through the whole thing.

I appreciate all the kind words, and now you all know that I, unfortunately, do lack a dick with which to say "suck it" to various people. Not that it will ever stop me.

I will say that DC was one of the very few things we were actually certified in. We got certified back in April. We still kept running drills twice a week underway and when we were in port for 10 days, we ran several Main Space Fire Drills at 0600.

I think that that saved a lot of people. They knew how to set boundaries. They knew how to evacuate a space. The senior enlisted sailors (E-6s) deserve all the credit, they really do. They kept people in an orderly line, and that absolutely saved lives. You all saw the pictures. I was down there when they were taking those pictures and it was way worse to physically be there. There's so much that is difficult to comprehend.

As for the training, we looked it up: Porter was in 2013. This is now the second major collision the Navy has had in less then 5 years. This is actually the 3rd collision 7th Fleet has had in 2 years (Stetham last year, Lake Champlain, and Fitzgerald this year). What is it going to take for the Navy to realize that the optempo and training (or lack thereof) are getting people killed out here and causing millions in damage? Porter was lucky in that no one was killed. We weren't, but that fact that it was only 7 is still incomprehensible. I'm not saying that we need to go back to the 6 month SWOS school in Newport that they had in the 80's and 90's, but something has to change or more people are going to die.

If you really want to get down to it, DESRON 15 now has 8 sailors killed this year. How the hell does that happen? If these were East Coast ships, things would have already dramatically changed.

Look, I choose to come out here. I wanted to be at a high optempo, and I wanted to have an actual mission. Was DCA my first choice? No. There are absolutely things I should have done better during the early morning hours of 17 June. I still made the decision to come out here because I thought it was different, and I was more than happy to make the best of the job I had been given. I hope that by reading the LoD report you see that that's what the DC team did: That there was never anything we could have done to get the water out of berthing 1 and 2 and that we could never have mitigated the structural damage we received. But, we kept the ship afloat and we got back under our own power.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dick or no dick you did a hell of a job.

They are overrated anyways.

Thank you for your leadership that saved so many of my fellow sailors. I hope you can find some inner peace from that.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
No one ever lacks a dick with which to say "suck it"

My wife has a dick with which to say "suck it". Dicks don't matter.

You run a Good drat job. Your sailors did a good drat job.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 19, 2017

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Dick or no dick, you and your crew did an outstanding job on keeping Fitz afloat, under her own power, and saving lives.

Full loving stop, end of story.

I really do hope you are able to find solace in the fact you and your team saved countless lives.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
You've got the biggest dick there is.

You helped save the ship and our shipmates.

Thank you for making sure that the training was priority and standards were outstanding.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Drill weekend. One of the first things put out was that if you're involved in the type of events like Charlottesville you'll be run of the Navy on a rail.

This is a good unit.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Coincidentally I just finished reading "No Higher Honor" which if you don't know is the story of the Samuel B. Roberts mine strike in the Persian Gulf. The LoD report really reminds me of the story of the DC efforts on that ship. Both teams saved a situation that was very much in doubt. You done good. I know it sucks to lose shipmates, I've lost my fair share along the way. But you certainly have nothing to hang your head over.

And don't worry about the dick thing, eventually we'll get around to making fun of you for being a girl ;) We've had lady posters in the past, its seriously no big deal. This is a pretty chill group.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

LordNad posted:

You've got the biggest dick there is.

You helped save the ship and our shipmates.

Thank you for making sure that the training was priority and standards were outstanding.

These guys all said it but it's the absolute truth. Thanks and fine job. Honestly I can only hope 2 things from this, to first never be in this nightmare. And secondly I hope I can be a good leader like several of you Goons here.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
TVS, I'll echo the sentiments of the others. You and your team did an incredible job saving your ship and each other.

vulturesrow posted:

Coincidentally I just finished reading "No Higher Honor" which if you don't know is the story of the Samuel B. Roberts mine strike in the Persian Gulf.

My Port Engineer was an engineer on Sammy B when she hit the mine. I invited him to give a talk on it to the crew and it was just incredible, even more so then reading about it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boon posted:

Drill weekend. One of the first things put out was that if you're involved in the type of events like Charlottesville you'll be run of the Navy on a rail.

This is a good unit.

Even as nonviolent counter protestor?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah I don't think gender plays a role in competence as a naval officer. Some of the timeline stuff still amazes me like how TVS had to set GQ rather than the bridge doing it, then the 1MC went down I'm sure that helped.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Valley Stared posted:

But, we kept the ship afloat and we got back under our own power.

Hey I'm just a merchant marine officer turned office puke but I just wanted to let you know that was one of the most impressive feat of seamanship of the modern age, and most seafarers can only hope they'd rise anywhere close to the level you did that day.

Let me know if you're ever in Québec, it'd be an honour to get you drunk on the good stuff.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

TVS, as I can't add anything more than what has already been said, I will be a good :chiefsay: and piggyback off those comments. Good job by you and your Sailors.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LingcodKilla posted:

Even as nonviolent counter protestor?

Nah, it was pretty clearly a 'No loving Nazis'

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boon posted:

Nah, it was pretty clearly a 'No loving Nazis'

Oh good. We got a similar message from our captain.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jumping on the 'you did good' bandwagon. But not because it's the cool thing to say, because you did a hell of a loving job. You saved the ship.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The wreck of the USS Indianapolis has been found and verified:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/08/19/wreckage-uss-indianapolis-found-philippine-sea/583124001/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy poo poo. That's an incredible find.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What do you think was worse - Big Navy court-martialing the captain of the Indianapolis to cover up HQ being too drunk, incompetent, and/or stupid to respond to a distress call and notice that a heavy cruiser was missing, or Big Navy blaming the Iowa explosion on dead gay sailors?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dead gay sailors. I suppose my opinion would change if I was an officer.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

Dead gay sailors. I suppose my opinion would change if I was an officer.

On the other hand, they were already dead. The court-martialed captain eventually killed himself after getting angry phone calls and letters from the families of dead sailors for years after being blamed by the Navy for losing his ship.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

On the other hand, they were already dead. The court-martialed captain eventually killed himself after getting angry phone calls and letters from the families of dead sailors for years after being blamed by the Navy for losing his ship.

That is pretty bullshit too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just listened to a line cook at Chipotle tell all his coworkers how awesome it's going to be to start nuke school after he ships out for basic in a couple months.

His coworkers laughed at him.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Take this with the appropriate grain of sand given it's just someone on facebook but regarding the CO of the Fitz:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Has it been explained earlier why they collided in the first place? Was the nav team asleep? The radar off?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have heard no lookout and no radar but have not seen any kind of confirmation and that seems unfathomable to me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Elendil004 posted:

I have heard no lookout and no radar but have not seen any kind of confirmation and that seems unfathomable to me.

No fathometer either.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Take this with the appropriate grain of sand

Elendil004 posted:

grain of sand

The galley run out of salt again?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

No fathometer either.

Thanks for the :lol: McNally.

Elendil004 posted:

A lot of times ships won't have bridgewing lookouts assigned because there are 4-6 people on watch in the pilothouse anyways that are supposed to be looking out. Bringwing lookouts are only usually up during evolutions or any low vis situation.

No radar is loving dumb.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

No radar is loving dumb.

Even if you're trying some EMCON stuff or being lazy, at least have a Furuno going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
TVS you don't need a dick to be a badass. You a badass.