Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Veyrall posted:

Three color is really, really rough on a budget mana base, you might want to cut out a color if you can. If not, try to get the full 4 Nomad Outposts and cut down on the basics a bit.
I sure wish I had some better duals! I do have a playset of outposts but didn't include more since the "comes into play tapped" thing put me off. I'll give it a try though. I have a couple more duals for my colors but they all enter play tapped. And with 4 outposts in the deck I feel like I'm reaching the tolerance limit for lands that can slow me down. I mainly ended up with three colors since I happen to like those and ascendancy is a cool card that I want to use. Also butcher seems like an insanely efficient 4 drop compared to my mono or dual color alternatives.

Veyrall posted:

You have too many 1 and 2-ofs in your deck. It makes your deck much less consistent and, ironically, less likely to draw what you need when you need it. I'd go to the full 4 Swiftspears, dropping the Falls of the Titans, go to the full 4 Bloodsoaked Champions and add another Drana by dropping the Crater's Claws, and drop out the combat tricks altogether for more removal. I'm thinking 4 fatal pushes, but if you think you'll meet bigger things you can run Murder for the instant speed, or more likely Go for the Throat/Doom Blade, since they're both cheap enough to get and Modern legal.
Yeah I was worried about that too but kinda had to make some includes just because I didn't have a playset. Crater/fall is the best example here. Would have used four craters if I had them! I'm also surprised that you suggest cutting these btw. KIlling somone with burn for the last few points has been a tradition for aggressive decks and I would like to preserve that in my gameplan. I can agree on ditching the tricks though since they're much more conditional and I wasn't that happy with them in the first place. The mtg games I remember suffered from frequent stalls on the ground and I maybe overcompensated with cards to break that.

For removal I can add more grasp/splinters since those are my most tempo efficient options right now. I mean splinters has a string attached to it but I'll take the risk. After that I would have to go up to 4/5 mana cards like consuming sinkhole/murderous cut and I rather don't. Thanks for pointing out those other cards though. They'll go into the want list right next to three more copies of murder

Veyrall posted:

Your top-end threats are kinda mana-intensive and expensive as well, but it's a casual deck so it's your call on whether you'd prefer to cut some to bulk up on others, or run more generic top-end threats, or leave them as is to embrace variety.
I like to run 2-3 larger threats in aggressive decks and zurgo/roc are pretty much the most impactful cards I can slot right now. The rest of my options basically boil down to "dumb big guy" or "dumb big guy that has flying but lovely power and is hella expensive" and that doesn't really make the cut I feel. I have to play the deck a bit to judge how to best top my curve I guess

E:

Lone Goat posted:

24 lands minimum in this deck. Get more Nomad Outposts. Your deck wants RRBBW on turn 3 and you will never ever get it with what you have here. All decks live and die by their mana base and this one will frustrate you constently.

Also you have 16 creatures (20 including Hordeling Outburst) and you have 12 other cards that require you to have a creature in play to have any effect at all. That's no good. play more creatures, less pump spells.
Was typing while this came in but yeah mostly agreed. Not sure about 24 lands though until I have some playtime and get a feel for it myself. My gut tells me I can get away with 22

Thx for your input! The revised list now looks like this

Bloodsoaked Champion x3
Monastery Swiftspear x4
Chief of the Edge x4
Drana, Liberator of Malakir x1
Butcher of the Horde x3
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar x1
Wingmate Roc x1
Zurgo Helmsmasher x1

Altar's Reap x4
Bone Splinters x3
Grasp of Darkness x4
Hordeling Outburst x4
Mardu Ascendancy x2
Crater's Claws x2
Fall of the Titans x1

Swamp x5
Mountain x5
Plains x4
Evolving Wilds x2
Bloodstained Mire x1
Smoldering Marsh x1
Nomad Outpost x4

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
4-0'ed standard FNM with this deck. It is really fun to play, too bad it probably dies completely at rotation. Unless something as good as Stormchaser Mage appears in Ixalan. :(

Playing an Insult as the card that lets Hazoret live, as well as triggering prowess and waking up the Riddleform is incredibly filthy. I had a few attacks for 16+ damage because of that card.

Deck: U/R Prowess

//Creatures
2 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Soul-Scar Mage
4 Stormchaser Mage

//Spells
2 Abrade
4 Crash Through
4 Incendiary Flow
2 Insult // Injury //
4 Shock
3 Unsummon

//Enchantments
4 Fevered Visions
4 Riddleform

//Lands
2 Highland Lake
8 Island
9 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal

//Sideboard
3 Chandra's Defeat
3 Glorybringer
3 Magma Spray
3 Negate
3 Sweltering Suns

Display deck statistics

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Salt Road Patrol: I Got a Lot of Problems With You People!
by Austen Hoey
August 18, 2017

In times like this, one can only look to Frank Costanza to really express how I feel.

So, let’s get started shall we?

1. The “I Don’t Play Tier 1 Decks” Guy

How often do you hear someone say:

“I’m a RG Ponza pilot, I really like its place in the meta-game”

If you haven’t, luckily I possess the specific skills to be able to translate such complete BS. And that, roughly translates to:

“I don’t want to buy Eldrazi-Tron for some unknown reason so I’ll make outlandish claims to make it sound like I haven’t given up hope and decided to play a tier-9 deck”

I understand that some people are on a budget, I get that, and if you want to play little kid abzan until you can afford Tarmogoyfs, sure, by all means. The people I have the issue with are those who act like because they play Skred they are on some moral high ground due to the intentional handicap they have placed on themselves by playing a terrible deck that is “different”.

Every tier 7 deck has a subreddit, 99% of them are dead, so take from that what you will, there is a certain subset of Magic players that have to cling to the fact that they are different or that they are better than other players because they don’t revert to the social norms of the “good” deck.

You don’t get extra Match points because you won with a deck based on a 5 piece combo when you could have played Death’s Shadow. I don’t know if it’s just the culture, but when people have to strive to be different for the sake of being different it really rakes on me. The best part about this is that there is more than likely a Tier 1 deck that is just a better version of the Tier 13 deck they want to build.

This point also happens to transition perfectly to my next point.

2. People who Refuse to “Net Deck”

Des, this one’s for you pal.

Magic players, on the whole are a smart group of people, after all, we play a game with a strong math element. So it completely confounds me that there are players who refuse to “netdeck”.

This is literally the same as a scientist trying to prove the concept of gravity without even reading Isaac Newton’s Wikipedia page. We are a society built on using the empirical data of the people and researchers around us, why some select Magic players view this as dirty or unwholesome is beyond me.

Say you are building a deck in this Standard format. You are just starting and you buy a few Aether Revolt packs to get your creative juices flowing. You open Winding Constrictor and think, hey, this is cool, I’m going to build a deck around this card.

So, in a perfect world, you work and work and test and test and eventually end up with a deck close to the deck Sam Pardee played to 2nd place at Pro Tour Hour of Devastation. What was accomplished by this? You wasted hours upon hours of time trying to create the best GB Counters deck, when it was literally right in front of you.

Why in this facet of society do normal above average intelligence people feel the need to abandon everything they learned in Grade 6 science class? Empirical research fuels almost everything we do, and it really grinds my gears when, frankly, idiots disregard it in an attempt to seem smarter and more civilized than their fellow players.

There is a pretty easy way for you to make me disrespect your Magic opinions and its telling me you don’t like to net deck. Oh yeah? Do you also not believe in Global Warming? Did you vote for Trump? Get out of my life you anti-technology doofus!

3. Standard Hasn’t been Playable Since…

We get it, everything was better back in the day. LMFAO was a sick up and coming band and Blackberry’s were cutting edge. People love to wax nostalgic about things and Magic is no different. You hear it all the time:

“Innistrad-Return to Ravnica Standard was the best, I won’t be playing Type 2 until they bring that back”

People always neglect to mention the fact that 2 weeks into that format, Brad Nelson discovered Abzan Reanimator and the format became more inbred than a Trump rally. I’m not saying the format was terrible because I also loved it, but people act like because the format is 33% Ramunap Red that it’s terrible.

Every Standard format has had a best deck, and every Standard format has had people on the internet complain about how terrible it was. The real answer is, every Standard format is somewhere in the middle, better than you remember but also worse at the same time. That’s life, Magic is great, just be happy and play it.

That’s all for this week, a little short I know but like Mr. Costanza, I’ve got to go meet with my caped real estate agent.

Au Revoir!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This Austen Hoey person owns bones.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/898894605869076480

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/898897145922805760

RIP

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i tried to do a simulated draft of homelands ones and it's so unbeleivably bad. Like "I know this 3-mana 1/2 is off-color, but it's the only card in the pack that could conceivably have a positive impact on the board state" level bad

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/898898602461974528

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Oh when he said a Rochester of every pack between unlimited and P3K I thought meant an actual Rochester draft, not just a rotisserie of 3 boosters and doing a regular draft, that's bullshit.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This sounds magical.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're just picking boosters to draft with it seems like you'd want the packs with the highest odds of absolute bomb rares, and who cares how shallow the rest of the pack ends up being.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

I would argue his premise (Magic players are smart people) as being false. Even if you just take mathematical prowess into account, the only fuckers in the larger community who could actually provide the calculus required to explain their deck choices would be Frank Karsten and maybe Matthais Hunt; you know, actual mathematicians/statisticians.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

He does, he plays at the LGS in Winnipeg and he's a pretty cool guy

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I would argue his premise (Magic players are smart people) as being false. Even if you just take mathematical prowess into account, the only fuckers in the larger community who could actually provide the calculus required to explain their deck choices would be Frank Karsten and maybe Matthais Hunt; you know, actual mathematicians/statisticians.

I think Caleb Sheer is a mathematician and his pet deck is Modern U/R Storm, and I believe he also rocks Storm in Legacy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I kinda understand where he's coming from, but I can't go all the way with him on #1. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a pet deck or archetype that you enjoy playing even if it's not great in a vacuum (see the 100 posts I have across these threads saying "actually, Mill is good") but I guess I haven't really seen anyone get high-and-mighty about it the way he seems to have experienced it. In a game with thousands of different pieces there's a certain appeal to running something unlike what others are doing, and if I want to see a deck like Affinity in action there's video out there of that, where there's less likely to be the same for a deck like Ponza.

Basically, play decks that you enjoy playing and don't judge others for their deck choices (unless it's Lantern Control)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"I play this deck because I find the play patterns really entertaining" is totally fine, it's when you start making mental contortions to justify it as being the best possible deck for your metagame or whatever that things start getting a bit weird.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

"I play this deck because I find the play patterns really entertaining" is totally fine, it's when you start making mental contortions to justify it as being the best possible deck for your metagame or whatever that things start getting a bit weird.

It's also fine to feel confident with a deck you know really well. I know taxes isn't the best deck in modern, but I've been playing those strategies for a long time and probably feel overly confident about my matchups.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlternateNu posted:

Aside from Gerard Fabiano, who is a successful magic player that is not smart?

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It's also fine to feel confident with a deck you know really well. I know taxes isn't the best deck in modern, but I've been playing those strategies for a long time and probably feel overly confident about my matchups.

Yup, deck familiarity/archetype familiarity is pretty important. I'm a decent player but I'm surprisingly bad at creature combat math/strategy, so I play combo or control (mostly combo). Could polish up other things but don't want to take the time.

quote:

Traditionally figured intelligence doesn't always turn into success in games; savantism doesn't necessarily imply intelligence for example. Not sure I'd count Gerard in that group though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I play weird decks because I'm a horrifying Timmy/Johnny hybrid, and like seeing my stupid aggro budget decks do well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

:same: for Mill. I should learn how to play a proper control deck sometime though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My litmus test for formats in Magic: the Gathering, a Richard Garfield game--

Does this format allow me to play Knight of the Reliquary? Yes/No

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

I kinda understand where he's coming from, but I can't go all the way with him on #1. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a pet deck or archetype that you enjoy playing even if it's not great in a vacuum (see the 100 posts I have across these threads saying "actually, Mill is good") but I guess I haven't really seen anyone get high-and-mighty about it the way he seems to have experienced it.

You haven't ever interacted with merfolk players then.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

You haven't ever interacted with merfolk players then.

I won the one match I've played locally against Merfolk!

Off of Profane Memento + triple Mesmeric Orb :orb:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I guess LSV made it to the finals of the draft

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/898923662006509568

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/898940552850362370

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rockin that OG Urborg :hellyeah:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

Define "successful."

If we're talking people who have won some majors and have name recognition, I'd say Ari Lax, Frank Lepore, TWoo, the Jessup brothers, Brad Nelson, and maybe BBD.

This isn't to make a judgement on them as people. It's just the inkling I get when I watch their content.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

That Juzam. :swoon:

Edit: can anyone who plays Magic for a living really be smart?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rockin that OG Urborg :hellyeah:

Look at all the good art on these old cards. I miss those days.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

My litmus test for formats in Magic: the Gathering, a Richard Garfield game--

Does this format allow me to play Knight of the Reliquary? Yes/No

This is me, vintage still rules though even if KotR is bad there

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tainen posted:

I guess LSV made it to the finals of the draft

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/898923662006509568

the mana in this deck seems kinda sus but I feel like that's more from the format than any mistake in drafting, since old sets had so many bad cards so you probably need to stretch your mana so you're not playing a bunch of bad cards

also aggro is probably bad if you're playing old card draft

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 19, 2017

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Looking at this gives me feelings of playing Shandalar.

What a wierd good game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cernunnos posted:

Looking at this gives me feelings of playing Shandalar.

What a wierd good game.
There's a fan patch that adds a bunch of new cards and updates it to the modern rules.

It's still technically :filez: and the dev site is down, but it's not hard to find. If I had to guess how to find it, I might search the name of the game and a recent year? Maybe not this year, though.

Edit Hell, here's some tips from when I played it like last year.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 19, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this is a pretty solid set of commentators for GP Denver actually

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Juzam seems like it'd be a pain in the rear end to kill in that draft format.

Also remember all of the hype around Grinning Demon as the new Juzam? Does anyone remember Grinning Demon period?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Juzam seems like it'd be a pain in the rear end to kill in that draft format.

Also remember all of the hype around Grinning Demon as the new Juzam? Does anyone remember Grinning Demon period?

Yes and yes, it was also the first demon printed in like 6 years or something so it was a Big Deal

of course, it turned out to be utter trash

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Iirc, Grinning Demon was inspired by Max from Sam and Max. Unless that was a joke on dailymtg.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

AlternateNu posted:

And the premise of math equals smart reads a bit too much like a STEM redditor wanking into the internet void.

That said, Rich Shay is another maths guy who is clearly quite intelligent and has a wonderfully dry wit to boot.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

There's a fan patch that adds a bunch of new cards and updates it to the modern rules.

It's still technically :filez: and the dev site is down, but it's not hard to find. If I had to guess how to find it, I might search the name of the game and a recent year? Maybe not this year, though.

Edit Hell, here's some tips from when I played it like last year.

It's abandonware and perfectly legal IIRC.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was sure that rant was tongue in cheek, because I don't know how anyone could conclude we're smart or any good at math when we whine, vehemently, about perceived statistical aberrations of mana screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

Yes and yes, it was also the first demon printed in like 6 years or something so it was a Big Deal

of course, it turned out to be utter trash

Reminds me of the morph deck I tried to build around Onslaught block, with noted chase rare Exalted Angel. I remember Smother being chase removal as well!