Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Pavlov posted:

From what I hear the manga is worse, and the anime has been trying to clean it up. They just haven't been doing a good enough job.

It's way loving worse

I absolutely love a setting dealing with an alien and horrendously murderous ecosystem, and this story has some of the best character design I've ever seen, but

I'm never ever gonna recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh, I've read the manga. It is much worse, that was really a rhetorical statement. :smith: I had hoped the anime would cut that stuff out, but it's not enough IMO.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ymmv

the manga moves as fast as you want it to, so you aren't being forced by a director/storyboarder to sit through bits that are longer in anime form than manga. there have been several notable changes where the anime was better, and as with most anime the art is less detailed.

anyway i think everyone has established their discomfort with that aspect of the show/the author so harping on it gets kinda redundant.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

This anime is like maid dragon where they didn't cut enough of the creepy poo poo out to make it aots but it's still really good.

Doesn't matter anyways Pripri is the best show this season, and is also on Anime Strike.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

This anime is like maid dragon where they didn't cut enough of the creepy poo poo out to make it aots but it's still really good.

Doesn't matter anyways Pripri is the best show this season, and is also on Anime Strike.

The anime added the lingering shot in the shower. It was just Riko walking in into Malruk's and Reg's brotalk originally.

Otherwise, no more of this until the end of the season.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Command Ant posted:

Malruk's headdress has pouches on it, and I'm certain they're not decorative. I'd love to know what's in them.

That doesn't seem like a very convenient place to store stuff.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Spooky Ougi Ozen

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

For reference, these are the thousand-men pins

120 of em

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

El Burbo posted:

Spooky Ougi Ozen

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

El Burbo posted:

For reference, these are the thousand-men pins

120 of em

Ouch.

She strong

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So...the longer you stay in the abyss, the less human you become out of necessity it seems.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's kinda weird how that compass has such a prominent place in the OP and ED and other artwork and then they drop it and loose it like 3 episodes in after having done nothing with it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ozen is the most terrifying character I've seen in a long time.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Man this episode mostly just seemed random and confusing. So the girl is a zombie, except not? And what the gently caress is an "aubade"? Has that come up before?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pavlov posted:

Man this episode mostly just seemed random and confusing. So the girl is a zombie, except not? And what the gently caress is an "aubade"? Has that come up before?

It refers to super-class artifacts. "Aubade" is a real word but it seems totally irrelevant. I'm 91% sure that it's meant to be the Engrish "Overed" and this is a mistranslation.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Pavlov posted:

And what the gently caress is an "aubade"? Has that come up before?
The word was introduced in episode 2.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pavlov posted:

The cube resurrects things. Aubade is a name for the highest class of artifacts, otherwise known as treasures of the abyss

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pavlov posted:

Aubade is the highest rank of artifact. That's the reason Habo came down to see them off.

https://twitter.com/miabyss_anime/status/898601642777595904

quote:

BS11 is about to air episode 7. For those watching without lights on, Ozen is so dark, you might lose sight of her. Please watch with your eyes peeled.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

El Burbo posted:

The cube resurrects things.
It makes dead things move again, which is a bit of a deliberately unsettling nuance. It's why it could work on the half chopped up beast that surprised Riko during the night.

There Bias Two posted:

So...the longer you stay in the abyss, the less human you become out of necessity it seems.
Pointy Nose Dude in episode 2 did say they've gone beyond being merely human. Makes you wonder how Liza truly is when she's down there.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 19, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Ok.. but Ozen said something about keeping all aubade secret because people would lose faith in the abyss god. How does that follow? Or was that just gibberish because she was trolling them.

Also this just hit me:

Pavlov posted:

Eternal Hairgel of the Donald.

This was just a bit joke but she actually has a trump hairstyle. It's an elaborate combover to cover up the bald spots.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Chev posted:

It makes dead things move again, which is a bit of a deliberately unsettling nuance. It's why it could work on the half chopped up beast that surprised Riko during the night.

There's no reason to think that she is going to just drop dead though. The cube animates stuff, but once alive and kicking if they are in a good enough shape there's no reason they shouldn't keep on living. Riko has been growing for a decade otherwise healthily. The already cooked meat? It's not gonna survive after the magic wears off.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Pavlov posted:

Ok.. but Ozen said something about keeping all aubade secret because people would lose faith in the abyss god. How does that follow? Or was that just gibberish because she was trolling them.

She seems to believe that preserving the mystery of the Abyss is important to keep people willing to explore it, as far as I can tell.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

There Bias Two posted:

She seems to believe that preserving the mystery of the Abyss is important to keep people willing to explore it, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, basically the really crazy artifacts are left as rumors to keep people wondering if such things can really be found in the abyss, if they were reduced to a dry document and a list of measurements that would take the mystique away, at least that seems to be what Ozen thinks.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's no reason to think that she is going to just drop dead though.
I wasn't even vaguely implying that. I'm just saying she may not be exactly human or alive in the standard way anymore. For one, we know something's going on with her eyes (and I suspect we may yet find they work fine somewhere in the abyss), and there's the instinct to go towards the bottom of the abyss she shares with the meat monster (sure, she thinks it's to find her mom but you can kinda see Ozen's testing her about that and that Riko keeps searching for other reasons when she's told that's futile).

Pavlov posted:

It's more that she's saying some things should stay in the abyss, and not just because they're laser robots of doom but because people may be rendered crazy by what they learn about the abyss. Already we see one of the white whistles, folk heroes on the surface, is a moody monster that has made herself inhuman on purpose, just so she could live down there and be driven half crazy by it (and Leader has hinted Liza may just be as nuts), but also that there's a force driving at least some relic-made things to go to the bottom, and some event that killed people from the previous civilization while they were all praying. Maybe they're better off not knowing what this is all about. Like, imagine you discover your whole culture rests on relics that are actually squeaky toys Cthulhu has left for you to play while they decide how to cook you, or maybe those are the seasoning.

Chev fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 19, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pavlov posted:

Think about how much easier going through the abyss would be if there was an army of Regs, or just even one highly trained Reg.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Caphi posted:

It refers to super-class artifacts. "Aubade" is a real word but it seems totally irrelevant. I'm 91% sure that it's meant to be the Engrish "Overed" and this is a mistranslation.

What Aubade refers to actually is mildly relevant, it's partially why one character is named as they are.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Chev posted:

Pointy Nose Dude in episode 2 did say they've gone beyond being merely human. Makes you wonder how Liza truly is when she's down there.

Who knows how she's like after being at the bottom for however long she's been, but I think it's cool how all the other guys are tricked out in crazy armor and implants while she is just A Lady with a Big Pickaxe

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

El Burbo posted:

Who knows how she's like after being at the bottom for however long she's been, but I think it's cool how all the other guys are tricked out in crazy armor and implants while she is just A Lady with a Big Pickaxe

She's also probably the youngest, since I'm guessing she's 40 at best. She may not have had time to accrue all of that sweet gear yet.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

There Bias Two posted:

She's also probably the youngest, since I'm guessing she's 40 at best. She may not have had time to accrue all of that sweet gear yet.

Since Igor in episode 2 speaks of her as the greatest white whistle I'd guess she definitely has the craziest gear and powers and is just good at seeming more normal than the others. But even that pickaxe doesn't quite look like a pickaxe and more like some eldricht death implement that also happens to be vaguely pickaxe-shaped to human eyes.

Chev fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 19, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Chev posted:

Since Igor in episode 2 speaks of her as the greatest white whistle I'd guess she definitely has crazy gear and powers and is just good at seeming more normal than the others. But even that pickaxe doesn't quite look like a pickaxe and more like some eldricht death implement that also happens to be vaguely pickaxe-shaped to human eyes.

Normal pickaxes are quite good at being death implements all on their own.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Ice picks even more so.:mexico:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

There Bias Two posted:

Sure, but even then it looks more like a scythe that a pickaxe.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/potipoti93/status/898856064107503617

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Ozen is the sort of person who shows her affection through sadism.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I loved the way Ozen was always looming over them that ep.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Cruel Tutelage of Immovable Ozen owns.

El Burbo posted:

The second of these guys is also in the OP so I will assume we're gonna run into him sooner or later. Also the first guy looks like a Skeksis

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

skasion posted:

The second of these guys is also in the OP so I will assume we're gonna run into him sooner or later. Also the first guy looks like a Skeksis

First guy looks more like a plague doctor.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

skasion posted:

The fourth one is also in the OP. Her face is never shown and the face in this picture is supremely weird, like a strange mask of sorts. What if it is not actually Lyza and they're pulling some Decoy Octopus nonsense here?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The fourth one is also in the OP. Her face is never shown and the face in this picture is supremely weird, like a strange mask of sorts. What if it is not actually Lyza and they're pulling some Decoy Octopus nonsense here?

That's Lyza alright. They also didn't show the whole flashback this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
C'mon, Haro. While I know that difference is a bit of a salient point for those who know the manga that's the kind of element you should abstain from mentioning until the anime's done adapting that bit.

If you've gotta talk about this episode's rendition of the manga there's plenty other, not even vaguely spoilery things to discuss, like how the storyboarder couldn't quite match manga Ozen's violence and creepiness (though they did use her wonderful hunchback thing) or how it's missing the way her smile appears when she's suited up, giving the impression of a sort of visor under her hat until the point where you realize she's just always grinning extra creepily. That being said I love her voice.

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 19, 2017

• Locked thread