Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

let's just check in on spain

ah. oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's also important to know that you can make a good number of the Institutions start in your country if you fulfill the requirements. You can't guarantee it (far as I know) but you can improve your chances.

Mostly true, but you can guarantee Global Trade by monopolizing the wealthiest trade node in the world.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

ah. oh
I, uh, yeah hi Tlemclen, didnt Morocco used to live here? Oh, they moved? To Portugal?!?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I'm playing as da p0pe and I think u rly need the patience of a saint . . . getting caught in coalition wars left and right here ! ! what do these french losers care who calls the shots in Ferrara

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Wars

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I always love it when stupid ridiculous stuff that happens in EU4 is actually historically accurate.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

my reax to the 5th provençal-papal punitive war https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZzTv0Sb4Zg

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oddium posted:

ah. oh

whoooooooa i looked away for like 20 years

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I've fully completed my Byzantine Mare Nostrum run. Real fun--and I'm pretty sure I've gotten more achievements this time than in any other game I've done, fifteen.

The full count: No Pirates in my Caribbean (without Exploration), The Grand Armada (tedious but doable when you've got a big empire and heaps of cash), Colonial Management, City of Cities, One Family to Rule Them All (The trick to this: be huge and make a bunch of little vassals), Bleed Them Dry (This one was rough; I noticed I was close to it at one point then chased the full ten for years), Full House, Black Jack, A Decent Reserve, All Your Trade Are Belong to Us (Happened just as a consequence of being huge), Mare Nostrum, Fanatic Collectivist (This, combined with the next were just "might as well, while I'm here" achievements), Tear Down This Wall, Absolutely, Redecorating.

Turns out, conquering most of Europe lets you clean up a lot of stray achievements.

Oh, and by the end, the Ottomans were a teeny Ming tributary in the South Pacific.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

So I've fully completed my Byzantine Mare Nostrum run. Real fun--and I'm pretty sure I've gotten more achievements this time than in any other game I've done, fifteen.

The full count: No Pirates in my Caribbean (without Exploration), The Grand Armada (tedious but doable when you've got a big empire and heaps of cash), Colonial Management, City of Cities, One Family to Rule Them All (The trick to this: be huge and make a bunch of little vassals), Bleed Them Dry (This one was rough; I noticed I was close to it at one point then chased the full ten for years), Full House, Black Jack, A Decent Reserve, All Your Trade Are Belong to Us (Happened just as a consequence of being huge), Mare Nostrum, Fanatic Collectivist (This, combined with the next were just "might as well, while I'm here" achievements), Tear Down This Wall, Absolutely, Redecorating.

Turns out, conquering most of Europe lets you clean up a lot of stray achievements.

Oh, and by the end, the Ottomans were a teeny Ming tributary in the South Pacific.

what was your starting strategy for Byzans? I did a purple phoenix run way back in patch 1.16 (I think) but would like to try one again.

Just returned to the game after almost a year's break and wanted something semi easy to get back into the game, so started a Brandburg->prussia Ironman run. Austria managed to lose the emperorship to Bavaria around 1500, Bavaria managed to hold onto it and win the tamest 30years war ever. less than 20 states took part in it and the only great powers were France and England, so Catholicism won. This somehow send Austria on a gently caress all rampage, gobling up a lot of the minor states and eventually most of Bavaria, so all the german states has -130+ relationship to austria just for unlawful territory. Austria then finished integrating Hungaria in 1592. Austria and I have been allies for over a hundred years now and then in 1597 something magical happened, I got Austria in a personal union.
This is what europe looks like atm. Russia imploding is all the Ai's doing. Poland-Lithuania broke up around 1500, for some reason too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Art.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Atreiden posted:

what was your starting strategy for Byzans? I did a purple phoenix run way back in patch 1.16 (I think) but would like to try one again.

Just returned to the game after almost a year's break and wanted something semi easy to get back into the game, so started a Brandburg->prussia Ironman run. Austria managed to lose the emperorship to Bavaria around 1500, Bavaria managed to hold onto it and win the tamest 30years war ever. less than 20 states took part in it and the only great powers were France and England, so Catholicism won. This somehow send Austria on a gently caress all rampage, gobling up a lot of the minor states and eventually most of Bavaria, so all the german states has -130+ relationship to austria just for unlawful territory. Austria then finished integrating Hungaria in 1592. Austria and I have been allies for over a hundred years now and then in 1597 something magical happened, I got Austria in a personal union.
This is what europe looks like atm. Russia imploding is all the Ai's doing. Poland-Lithuania broke up around 1500, for some reason too.

Well, I had a lot of luck this run (Inheriting Spain, Ottos being forced to return cores to me in a war I wasn't involved in) but my strategy was to seize the little states in the vicinity of the Ottomans--You might have to do a no casus belli war or two, but I found it worth it. Declare on Candar, take everything--Ottos might demand some of it (they did in mind) and just cave unless you have good allies. From there--Grab Theodoro if you can. Taking a good chunk out of Crimea will improve your situation pretty drastically. Taking Trebizond is also a decent idea, since that gives you an opening into the Georgia area. If you're lucky, you can get a border with QQ who should already be in their death spiral. Taking poo poo in the Balkans is also a pretty sound idea (Probably without a casus belli). Keep an eye on Genoa, Venice, and the Mamluks. There may be an opportunity to seize their poo poo or the nations they're allied/guaranteeing.

Later on, trying to seize as much of Egypt as you can before the Ottos totally destroy the Mamluks is a good idea.

Beyond that--just keep improving relations with local Christian powers--Lithuania, Poland, Austria, Hungary. By grabbing those little bits around the Ottomans, you should bolster your position enough to have an easier time securing an alliance. I've tried allying with the Mamluks but I found it ultimately more a liability than anything in other runs.

If you have the Third Rome/Russia DLC it will make things a little easier because of the new Orthodox mechanics--+5% Discipline and +10% manpower recovery can be fairly powerful in the early game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gesundheit.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ok so update and some observations on my Oman -> Mughals run aiming for Third Way. It's been fun and not really that difficult, though it is a slow first 100-150 years since you're small, quite poor, your armies and manpower suck, and there aren't nearby good high-development provinces you can conquer to power yourself up. I didn't really get powerful enough to take on mid-size enemies until the 1630s after I conquered some of the juicy provinces in northern India and formed Mughals.

Here's the current state of my game:

Ottomans are my bestest (100 trust) buds and have been for a very long time, Commonwealth are also allies but much lower trust, and they're rivals of the Ottomans. Sometime soon I'll have to break my alliance with the Ottos and start conquering them while switching to Commonwealth for my main defensive ally.

Ming is a fat rear end in a top hat, they have a few Sunni provinces and Korchin somehow ended up Sunni so I'll have to fight them a fair bit. They also asked me to be their tributary (see screen) and I might just take them up on that for a few years to make it easier to beat up Yarkand and Malacca (Ming tributaries).

Morocco exiled both Portugal and Castile to the New World, thankfully they didn't take Exploration so I won't have to worry about Sunni provinces in the New World. Unfortunately now I'll have to conquer much of the Iberian Peninsula.

Edit: oh, and Kilwa are fairly strong and allied to the Ottomans so I've been postponing conquering Zanzibar. I only in the last 20 years or so got big enough to match their forcelimits.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 19, 2017

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, I had a lot of luck this run (Inheriting Spain, Ottos being forced to return cores to me in a war I wasn't involved in) but my strategy was to seize the little states in the vicinity of the Ottomans--You might have to do a no casus belli war or two, but I found it worth it. Declare on Candar, take everything--Ottos might demand some of it (they did in mind) and just cave unless you have good allies. From there--Grab Theodoro if you can. Taking a good chunk out of Crimea will improve your situation pretty drastically. Taking Trebizond is also a decent idea, since that gives you an opening into the Georgia area. If you're lucky, you can get a border with QQ who should already be in their death spiral. Taking poo poo in the Balkans is also a pretty sound idea (Probably without a casus belli). Keep an eye on Genoa, Venice, and the Mamluks. There may be an opportunity to seize their poo poo or the nations they're allied/guaranteeing.

Later on, trying to seize as much of Egypt as you can before the Ottos totally destroy the Mamluks is a good idea.

Beyond that--just keep improving relations with local Christian powers--Lithuania, Poland, Austria, Hungary. By grabbing those little bits around the Ottomans, you should bolster your position enough to have an easier time securing an alliance. I've tried allying with the Mamluks but I found it ultimately more a liability than anything in other runs.

If you have the Third Rome/Russia DLC it will make things a little easier because of the new Orthodox mechanics--+5% Discipline and +10% manpower recovery can be fairly powerful in the early game.

Yea I did it before the favor systems was introduced, so it was a bit easier to get Hungary, Poland and Austria on your side, as long as they had rivaled the Ottomans and basically use them to get all your cores back in one war, while sending the Ottomans in an early death spiral. I sadly have neither third rome or mandate of heaven yet, so might wait to get them before I try a byzans run again.

Another unrelated question, according to the EU4 wiki, the dutch revolts can only happen between 1550-1650, is this still true? In my current game it's 1621, I've dissolved the HRE 20 years ago and most of the territory is now held by me, my PU Austria and my vassals and the dutch revolts haven't happened, so am I in the clear if I get to 1650 without them firing?

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 19, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there a flex emoticon?

Never been able to pull this off before...

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Atreiden posted:

Yea I did it before the favor systems was introduced, so it was a bit easier to get Hungary, Poland and Austria on your side, as long as they had rivaled the Ottomans and basically use them to get all your cores back in one war, while sending the Ottomans in an early death spiral. I sadly have neither third rome or mandate of heaven yet, so might wait to get them before I try a byzans run again.

Another unrelated question, according to the EU4 wiki, the dutch revolts can only happen between 1550-1650, is this still true? In my current game it's 1621, I've dissolved the HRE 20 years ago and most of the territory is now held by me, my PU Austria and my vassals and the dutch revolts haven't happened, so am I in the clear if I get to 1650 without them firing?

You can disable Cossacks and the trust penalty to starting wars disappears. Or you can ally hungary&Poland-Lithuania and just wait till you get attacked or the trust is high enough.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

finally got the grain provinces for horses achievement as manchu. probably should have turned off third rome and crushed russia in the cradle but ah well

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So. I want to play EU4 with the new features and poo poo but I hate that Ming was completely broken by Mandate of Heaven. Has there been any patch that has done any work towards balancing things out? If not are there any decent mods for EU4 that do this among other features?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There have been balancing efforts, but they've all been lackluster.

At one point during DDRJake's recent Rostov playthrough, he seemingly noticed for the first time that Ming had tributaries way the gently caress west in the European horde lands, and Jake was like "Huh, maybe we should reduce their tributary distance."

So MAYBE they'll do that for the next patch. I wouldn't really hold my breath for it though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it should look at whether or not the nation is in the chinese tech group when factoring tributary requests/acceptances

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, if Ming blobs out and manages to conquer most of East Asia, they should be able to get tributaries elsewhere. Distance should simply be a much bigger factor than it currently is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, if Ming blobs out and manages to conquer most of East Asia, they should be able to get tributaries elsewhere. Distance should simply be a much bigger factor than it currently is.
That and Ming should not be auto-called in to defensive wars that were declared on a Tributary by a non-Tributary. And the AI should be more willing to stop being a tributary if they are rich/powerful enough.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That and Ming should not be auto-called in to defensive wars that were declared on a Tributary by a non-Tributary. And the AI should be more willing to stop being a tributary if they are rich/powerful enough.

Yeah these are the real problems. Being able to pay Ming an annual tribute in exchange for not getting ganked is good, having Ming fight their way across the Himalayas to intervene in a Steppe Horde dispute is much less so.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ming doesn't really blob at all, they're very static and boring. They make most of East Asia tributaries and just sit around.

Well, there wouldn't be much advantage in being a Ming tributary without the defensive call to arms.

I would like to be able to cancel tributary as a war demand. Currently you can only do that against Ming, and it works just like cancelling a regular vassal so the warscore/DIP cost is enormous.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Ming doesn't really blob at all, they're very static and boring. They make most of East Asia tributaries and just sit around.

Ming AI doesn't blob, but Ming players do. They have to still design the experience to be fun for Ming players. I was just trying to say that there are other ways to handle this without going with something as arbitrary as tech groups.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Well, there wouldn't be much advantage in being a Ming tributary without the defensive call to arms.
Well part of the problem is that there should be some sort of other benefit to being a Tributary. Ming didnt get involved in local politics of an area unless it was their land. Period. The tributary system as-is goes completely against that and makes gameplay unfun. Ming didnt give a poo poo that Portugal took over Malacca in the early 1500s. They didnt send an army to defend the city. No one batted a loving eye.

The Ming-Sphere should be mutually beneficial; that is how it historically worked with the hordes - most commonly the hordes traded horses for silk, which they could then trade for other valuables. If the hordes didnt like the way Ming was acting they raided Chinese lands, instead.

Ming armies never set foot in India, farther west than the Tarim basin, or farther north than their starting borders in the game, yet in EU4 they will send 100k men to defend Nogai from the Great Horde because :shrek:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ming AI doesn't blob, but Ming players do. They have to still design the experience to be fun for Ming players. I was just trying to say that there are other ways to handle this without going with something as arbitrary as tech groups.
I don't think tech group would be that arbitrary - in this case it basically represents the part of the world where the idea of being a tributary of China has a lot of precedent. Not saying that it should be limited to these countries, but perhaps tributaries should either be neighbors OR Chinese tech?

The Ming-Sphere should be mutually beneficial; that is how it historically worked with the hordes - most commonly the hordes traded horses for silk, which they could then trade for other valuables. If the hordes didnt like the way Ming was acting they raided Chinese lands, instead.
Maybe tributaries could get a trade/production bonus similar to the one for merchant republics? Not the exact same mechanic, but a similar idea.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think tech group would be that arbitrary - in this case it basically represents the part of the world where the idea of being a tributary of China has a lot of precedent. Not saying that it should be limited to these countries, but perhaps tributaries should either be neighbors OR Chinese tech?
Make it harder to tributary them diplomatically if they are NOT Chinese tech group, but still allow it. Make the tech groups useful here Paradox.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe tributaries could get a trade/production bonus similar to the one for merchant republics? Not the exact same mechanic, but a similar idea.
I would be happy with anything that would make it so Ming/Whomever Holds The Mandate is not automatically called in to defensive wars with non-tributaries.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The other dumb thing about tributaries is that the main reason you'd want to be a tributary is to be protected against attacks... which are irrelevant against most people you'd want protection against anyway because they're also near ming and a tributary.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

spectralent posted:

The other dumb thing about tributaries is that the main reason you'd want to be a tributary is to be protected against attacks... which are irrelevant against most people you'd want protection against anyway because they're also near ming and a tributary.
Ding ding ding ding ding

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So i started playing this game again after a long hiatus. I attacked the Papal States and declared their 1 ally (Austria) as a co-belligerent. During the war, I got the "Transfer Subject" bonus from the age of discovery, but when I had fully occupied what was left of the papal states (Florence sniped 2 provinces), Austria, and a large portion of Hungary, I didn't see a "transfer subject" option to steal Hungary when I tried to separate peace Austria or with the Papal States directly...there was only an option to vassalize Hungary (Hungary was under a PU beneath Austria). Why didn't I get the option to transfer Hungary to me?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BigRoman posted:

So i started playing this game again after a long hiatus. I attacked the Papal States and declared their 1 ally (Austria) as a co-belligerent. During the war, I got the "Transfer Subject" bonus from the age of discovery, but when I had fully occupied what was left of the papal states (Florence sniped 2 provinces), Austria, and a large portion of Hungary, I didn't see a "transfer subject" option to steal Hungary when I tried to separate peace Austria or with the Papal States directly...there was only an option to vassalize Hungary (Hungary was under a PU beneath Austria). Why didn't I get the option to transfer Hungary to me?

Transferring Hungary as a Vassal is the result of you picking that power; you normally can't arbitrarily steal junior PUs, the power lets you turn them into a vassal (for super cheap; 50% WS to vassalize all of Hungary is an insane bargain)

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Ahh, then I guess Hungary was still too big to vassalize, because it was still well over the 100% Warscore to do. Too bad.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pellisworth posted:

spectralent posted:

The only 'advantage' of being a Ming tributary should be that Ming doesn't kick the poo poo out of you and force you to be one. :lol:

There shouldn't be a defensive call to arms, Ming shouldn't give a poo poo. They should just sit back and collect their tribute and try to make any non-tributary neighbors pay up

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BigRoman posted:

Ahh, then I guess Hungary was still too big to vassalize, because it was still well over the 100% Warscore to do. Too bad.

That seems likely; even at a 50% discount Hungary is huge

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Fintilgin posted:

The only 'advantage' of being a Ming tributary should be that Ming doesn't kick the poo poo out of you and force you to be one. :lol:

hell yeah

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fintilgin posted:

There shouldn't be a defensive call to arms, Ming shouldn't give a poo poo. They should just sit back and collect their tribute and try to make any non-tributary neighbors pay up

iirc historically a "tributary" relationship with china was more about getting access to chinese markets than any real fear of china beating you up. for some neighbours china was actually sending a lot more "gifts" than it received in "tribute"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

iirc historically a "tributary" relationship with china was more about getting access to chinese markets than any real fear of china beating you up. for some neighbours china was actually sending a lot more "gifts" than it received in "tribute"

Maybe tributary status should be what allows you to send merchants in trade nodes that China controls, then, rather than a protection racket?

• Locked thread