Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Total coincidence but I...I...just found this shirt is a legitimate thing that people have actually bought and my brain can't quite believe it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Men-Summer-Fashion-Style-T-Shirts-Game-of-Thrones-Nights-Watch-Oath-T-shirts/32639533445.html

one of my gal pals bought me a stark in the streets wildling in the sheets shirt for my bday last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Can't wait for the Dany/Sam sex scene. It makes total sense. She'd absolutely want a kind hearted, intelligent and well travelled young man to make gentle but passionate love with. Hes probably a good cook too, and the way to anyones heart is through their stomach, isn't that right ladies?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Groovelord Neato posted:

one of my gal pals bought me a stark in the streets wildling in the sheets shirt for my bday last year.

I would buy a GOT fan that :D you would have to really hate someone to buy them a shirt that says "SORRY LADIES I AM A VIRGIN" tho.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

learnincurve posted:

I would buy a GOT fan that :D you would have to really hate someone to buy them a shirt that says "SORRY LADIES I AM A VIRGIN" tho.

Technically, Night's Watchmen can totally have all the sex they want before they take the black, so they're not all virgins.

Also many of them go gently caress whores in Mole Town anyway, it's not taken that seriously.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Game of Thrones: The Cock-Blocking of Ser Jorah Mormont

Actually that's a series I'd watch though I don't know how different it would be from what we have already.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

Technically, Night's Watchmen can totally have all the sex they want before they take the black, so they're not all virgins.

Also many of them go gently caress whores in Mole Town anyway, it's not taken that seriously.

Isn't the rule just no wife or kids? You know they're banging whores and each other all the time, what else are you gonna do in a frozen wasteland?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bloom posted:

Isn't the rule just no wife or kids? You know they're banging whores and each other all the time, what else are you gonna do in a frozen wasteland?

No, they're technically supposed to be celibate as well, but the enforcement of that rule is...not very strong.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

grack posted:

Game of Thrones: The Cock-Blocking of Ser Jorah Mormont

Basically 2 and a half men starring Jorah, Bronn or Davos, and Tyrion.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

learnincurve posted:

Are you all men because trust me, Jorah/Iain Glen has a fog of testosterone surrounding him, where as Jon Snuh/Kit Harington looks like he made you a mix tape and will cry if you don't like it. Dany going for Jon over Jorah is one of the least believable things on the show.

I'm a lesbian and I would let Iain Glen do nasty things to me, whereas I would probably go shopping with Kit Harrington.

So agreed.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Jorah is 56 years old

he is ancient

a grandpa

old man

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That doesn't really apply to Cersei, or Cat Stark.

Yeah, I didn't mean it as a blanket statement for all the female characters. It's way more obvious in the back half.

I just mean all the nudity/sex/rape etc (tho changing the fake Arya plot to Sansa was dumb poo poo for shock value) isn't gross gender stuff to me, it's simply a product of the world this show is about. If anything, they make life easier for women in Westeros in the show than in the books.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jorah is like 42.

Dany is 19 though I guess.

Book canon is the only thing that matters.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Fartbox posted:

Jorah is 56 years old

he is ancient

a grandpa

old man

Emilia Clarke is 30. She doesn't have to marry him but they could have a good time together.

Like any 30 year old single guy would go "No Thanks" to Monica Bellucci.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's like saying I wouldn't marry Michelle Pfeiffer in a heartbeat, just because she's thirty-one years older than me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

bloom posted:

Tell me, did you ever wonder why the men of the Night's watch take no wives and father no children?

So they will not love. Love is the death of duty.

Of all the scenes in Game oF Thrones tits & dragons TV entertainment show, I find this one to be one of the best, if not THE best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pozI5n6A_Io

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

No, they're technically supposed to be celibate as well, but the enforcement of that rule is...not very strong.

Wasn't Sam arguing against that? He was saying that it was just no attachments.

So basically you can bang all you want, just don't call them the next day.

e:

quote:

I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children

says nothing about going to bonetown :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jorah and Selmy were Dany's Two Dads.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think you're mixing this up with the rules for Jedi.

quote:

The Night's Watch is a sworn brotherhood of men who patrol the Wall. The individual members or 'Brothers of the Watch' reject land and titles, practice celibacy, cut ties to their families, assume neutrality in politics, and never desert their assignments,[56][57] on pain of death.[58] Joining the Watch is still considered an honor because any man can rise through the ranks regardless of illegitimacy or criminal past, but in the first book,[59][60] the Watch is severely undermanned.[61] The Watch is based at Castle Black, where the Lord Commander of the Watch resides and new recruits are trained.[62]

It's a stupid loving rule, cause in theory they'd have way more numbers if they imported some ladies to start birthing new Night's Watchmen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In modern Westeros the NW is basically a militarized prison camp. It's considered honorable by nobles with Northern/First Men ancestry like Starks and Royce but even then they use it as a dumping ground for bastards, younger sons, and others who don't fit into society. Ned the honorable wasn't gonna go abandon his normal life to join the watch, he would only do it under pain of execution when he hosed everything up. The northern nobles pass down the legends of its importance because they have the reminder of occasional wildling raids but to literally everyone else the NW might as well be a death sentence, to which it is indeed often used as an alternative. You can die, or you can freeze your nuts off at the edge of the world for the rest of your life and maybe get murdered by the barbarians. Westerosi outside the NW don't want more Watchmen, they want to forget they even exist. Obviously they don't want them to breed, how hosed up would it be to condemn a child to a life at the Wall from birth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

fwiw Sam was probably just trying to convince himself it's okay to lust after Gilly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

esperterra posted:

fwiw Sam was probably just trying to convince himself it's okay to lust after Gilly.

Oh absolutely. But he was trying his hardest to rules lawyer that poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

skasion posted:

Westerosi outside the NW don't want more Watchmen, they want to forget they even exist. Obviously they don't want them to breed, how hosed up would it be to condemn a child to a life at the Wall from birth.

Right, my point was that the Night's Watch itself wants more Watchmen, and it appears to be a self-imposed rule.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TeaJay posted:

Tell me, did you ever wonder why the men of the Night's watch take no wives and father no children?

So they will not love. Love is the death of duty.

Of all the scenes in Game oF Thrones tits & dragons TV entertainment show, I find this one to be one of the best, if not THE best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pozI5n6A_Io

christ this show used to be so loving good.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If you ever read about how chivalric romance was or at least depicted in say... Arthurian lore, it was goony as gently caress. I'm not sure if I like Jorah, or just really like Iain Glen's portrayal.
Similar with Jaime - he gets some character beats that show he isn't completely reprehensible, but it's hard to hate a guy played by the charismatic Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

christ this show used to be so loving good.

rear end in a top hat smug Jaime owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FbdNu2dvuw

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hard to hate him as a character on the screen, but as somebody who has to live with him? He's the richest, handsomest, blondest smuggest piece of poo poo since Aegon Targaryen. Of course people would hate him.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

Emilia Clarke is 30. She doesn't have to marry him but they could have a good time together.

Like any 30 year old single guy would go "No Thanks" to Monica Bellucci.

how old is she supposed to be in the books

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Constant posted:

15 I think

Robb was like 15 when he was leading an army too and Arya is a master assassin at 12ish

GRRM is a hack

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Constant posted:

About 16 at the end of ADWD, I'd say 15 when he kisses her at the end of ACOK.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

16? In Dance, I think. And like 13 at the start of the series.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So I thought it was interesting that when Tyrion was asking about a succession plan, he pointed to the free folk and ironborn as his examples.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
She has her 14th birthday the very day she discovers she's pregnant. She was pretty close to term when Drogo dies, so she was pretty close to 15, throw in a few months where she travels an unrealistic distance to the red waste and then all the way to Qarth, then the entire conquest of slaver's bay, I'd say that's at least a year and a half placing her at least at 16.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone is younger in the books. If the TV show did one thing right it was to age the main characters a bit.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember that GRRM intentionally wrote Danys 13 year old wedding night rape to be erotic.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

15 I think

Robb was like 15 when he was leading an army too and Arya is a master assassin at 12ish

GRRM is a hack

show better without fat man books

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Robb's storyline would have been loving awful if it had been played by 15-year-old.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

also if they dont get this dude to play Rhaegar then they hosed up

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Constant posted:

show better without fat man books

New thread title.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Constant posted:

GURM was planning to have a 5 year time skip in the middle of the series so that we wouldn't have Daenerys Targaryen who has acted like she's 25 since she was 14 saving the world on her 16th birthday. But he's hosed everything up since book 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also re: Jorah and the friendzone, I really do think how handsome he is on the show changes the dynamic. His well meaning love, bordering on obsession takes a different tone when he's this hulking, hairy bear of a man and the age gap is much wider.

But in the show, he's just dashing to a fault. In another show or movie he could easily be the good guy who ends up winning the girl in the end, over the more roguish type.

Like her not wanting to gently caress him still makes sense on the show, but the dynamic is way different.

e: his book love also has the added creep factor of 50% of his desire for dany being that he reminds her physically of his old waifu

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 19, 2017

• Locked thread