Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

Reminds me of the morph deck I tried to build around Onslaught block, with noted chase rare Exalted Angel. I remember Smother being chase removal as well!

I remember when Smother jumped from $.10 to $.30 when Tiny Leaders got big.

Aaaaaaaaaaand, go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

C-Euro posted:

Reminds me of the morph deck I tried to build around Onslaught block, with noted chase rare Exalted Angel. I remember Smother being chase removal as well!

Those are both still good cards!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Comparing the creature spine of Astral Slide to Grinning Demon.

That's certainly something.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm not making GBS threads on Exalted, what kind of monster do you think I am!

I had a casual deck around Astral Slide back then too, man I wanted them to bring that back for Amonkhet. Would probably be really annoying with how much better ETB creatures are these days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was blinking expensive morph creatures ever a deck? It sounds awful.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Was blinking expensive morph creatures ever a deck? It sounds awful.

RW Slide was a deck and it blinked Exalted Angel because Exalted Angel was a good card

Later GW Slide was a deck but I don't remember it having non-Angel morphs offhand, it blinked stuff like Eternal Witness and Viridian Shaman instead

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was thinking all-in clunky. Planar Chaos Akroma or Krosan Cloudscraper (I loved that name).

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

C-Euro posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on Exalted, what kind of monster do you think I am!

I had a casual deck around Astral Slide back then too, man I wanted them to bring that back for Amonkhet. Would probably be really annoying with how much better ETB creatures are these days.

They should've just made it whenever you cycled a card for ~modern design sensibilities~ and added on some bullshit. Cycling is the best blinking poo poo is the best.

Rinkles posted:

I was thinking all-in clunky. Planar Chaos Akroma or Krosan Cloudscraper (I loved that name).

This was occasionally a thing in modern death and taxes with flickerwisp and resto before it was good.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 19, 2017

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Chapin just got owned on stream. His opponent used Naheb to cast a 5/5 balista on turn 5 and Ulamog on turn 6.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

I think one of the decks in SO's Budget Magic series is a white blink deck with Red Akroma as a finisher.

E: Yep

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 19, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tainen posted:

Chapin just got owned on stream. His opponent used Naheb to cast a 5/5 balista on turn 5 and Ulamog on turn 6.
In fairness, his deck was terrible.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

In fairness, his deck was terrible.

He also paid no respects to the Neheeb with his Goblin Dark Dwellers. He should have just blown it up instead of going for hand discard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This standard "Gift" deck real? Owen's playing it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Yea. It's good.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rinkles posted:

Looks like a version of this deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOvNy1ykRXU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

Looks like a version of this deck:

What Owen's playing relies on Gate to the Afterlife.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

The decks today have been a bit different. Minister of Inquiries as the mill enabler and Trophy Mage to search out the Gates.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone watch Fabiano's video? He couldn't say Whirler Virtuoso....

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rinkles posted:

I have been playing it for the last two-three weeks, tried the UR hollow one version and more recently the one with trophy mage similar to what at least one of the teams have been playing at this GP.

As long as everyone isn't playing Ulamog decks or control decks with a ton of counterspells you'll probably clean up. It matches up really well against other creature decks.

mcmagic posted:

Isn't the guy a teacher? I figured it was some weird trolling / inside joke.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I think Brennan Decandio has been streaming the izzet gpg deck, you could probably find the list in his twitch archive

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

He couldn't pronounce a lot of cards.

The word "harbinger" eludes him...

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
PSA to GenCon attendees: HotSauce games is liquidating their modern inventory in the exhibit hall. I paid 39 bucks each for a playset of really good condition noble hierarchs.

I also got a bunch of stuff signed, will post pics of the cooler ones when I get home.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There is a PPTQ today at a local store that I was going to go to but when I heard 90+ people showed up. There is no reason to play a 90 person PPTQ.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone I know is judging side events at GP Denver. He would have done the main event or whatever he needs to get to level two certification, but Wizards/CFB scheduled the tournament the weekend before the eclipse, so he's got to haul rear end back to Wyoming early tomorrow morning. Traffic is going to be insane the whole way up.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Tainen posted:

I guess LSV made it to the finals of the draft

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/898923662006509568

Man I miss old school Magic art.

Like check out the Lesser Werewolf LSV has in his pile. I used to think this was the raddest looking card:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 20, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

MrBling posted:

4-0'ed standard FNM with this deck. It is really fun to play, too bad it probably dies completely at rotation. Unless something as good as Stormchaser Mage appears in Ixalan. :(

Playing an Insult as the card that lets Hazoret live, as well as triggering prowess and waking up the Riddleform is incredibly filthy. I had a few attacks for 16+ damage because of that card.

Deck: U/R Prowess

//Creatures
2 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Soul-Scar Mage
4 Stormchaser Mage

//Spells
2 Abrade
4 Crash Through
4 Incendiary Flow
2 Insult // Injury //
4 Shock
3 Unsummon

//Enchantments
4 Fevered Visions
4 Riddleform

//Lands
2 Highland Lake
8 Island
9 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal

//Sideboard
3 Chandra's Defeat
3 Glorybringer
3 Magma Spray
3 Negate
3 Sweltering Suns

Display deck statistics

If you're playing the prowess version with Riddleform, Consuming Fervor is a house.

Hopefully we get some creatures for this deck in Ixalan, because a lot of it does survive rotation, just not enough creatures.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There has to be salty blue red prowess pirates at uncommon. A flamboyant swashbuckler swinging on the ropes sounds perfectly keyed to that, maybe with prowess and explore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Got a $30 budget Modern deck I'm thinking of cracking open again.

Deck: Mono-Green Wolf Aggro

//Lands
17 Forest
3 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood

//Spells
3 Howlpack Resurgence
3 Lead the Stampede
3 Moonlight Hunt
3 Moonmist

//Creatures
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Kessig Prowler
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Ulvenwald Tracker
4 Witchstalker
4 Young Wolf

//Sideboard
1 Howlpack Resurgence
3 Inspiring Call
1 Moonmist
3 Naturalize
4 Tormod's Crypt
3 Windstorm

Display deck statistics

gif Probst posted:

would a 1/1 with Prowess and Trample for R be broken?
Yes.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 20, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lone Goat posted:

Aside from Gerard Fabiano, who is a successful magic player that is not smart?

rabidsquid

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ManMythLegend posted:

Man I miss old school Magic art.

Like check out Lesser Werewolf. I used to think this was the raddest looking card:

Magic werewolves have a long, proud history of smashing through things. :unsmith:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Doing a Take the Crown draft in a few hours for the first time? Anyone have any tips?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tainen posted:

Doing a Take the Crown draft in a few hours for the first time? Anyone have any tips?

the mythic conspiracy is really really good and basically has "You Win The Game" printed on it as long as you dont draft dumb. the demon that has you draft blind is really bad unless you're picking it up late in the pack. Doomed Traveler is the best common creature.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

gif Probst posted:

seems worse than monastery swiftspear. I guess you could play it in a deck full of pump spells but you could just play something like blighted agent in that deck instead

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Here's some cool stuff from the Gencon artists today:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Here's some cool stuff from the Gencon artists today:

The swords looks awesome in that picture.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

There is a PPTQ today at a local store that I was going to go to but when I heard 90+ people showed up. There is no reason to play a 90 person PPTQ.

Alternatively I went to a 40 person pptq and cashed 200$. Magic is good.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

gif Probst posted:

I'd say yes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

But it dies to doom blade.

TwistedNails posted:

The swords looks awesome in that picture.

Thanks, I'm also really pleased with where Menges signed it. Looks awesome in person. If they wanted to make FNM promos really desirable again, they'd do old frame foils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

gif Probst posted:

In which format?

Vintage/Legacy no. Not even if it was a Goblin.

Modern? Probably not.

Standard? With how strong Red creature based aggro is, probably not a good idea.