Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kin posted:

I think I'd rather just have the first 3 games remade to the same "HD" quality as Mania (and sonic 3/cd move sets).

That pretty much already happened with 1, 2 and CD. 1 and 2 just really need console and PC ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Maybe I'm just tired, but there's something which is making this game incredibly frustrating instead of fun. Or maybe it's lots of little things.

The only sonic game I've played is the original on the sega mega drive. I played that thing to death, every level umpteen times. I can't quite put my finger on all the underlying differences that are bothering me. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Everyone else seems to be having a blast, it'd be a shame if it didn't click for me.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Maybe I'm just tired, but there's something which is making this game incredibly frustrating instead of fun. Or maybe it's lots of little things.

The only sonic game I've played is the original on the sega mega drive. I played that thing to death, every level umpteen times. I can't quite put my finger on all the underlying differences that are bothering me. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Everyone else seems to be having a blast, it'd be a shame if it didn't click for me.

Original Sonic's level design is much more platforming based, and doesn't give you as many opportunities to just go fast for a bit. Mania's level design is more like Sonic 3, so that might be it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Got all the emeralds. Final boss was pretty easy, but pretty fun.

Mania's integration into Forces is really cool. I wonder whose idea it was.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I think part of it is, if you've played the old games a billion times, you know where to go and where the speed traps and enemies and such are. You've forgotten what it was like to have to learn a level. These levels are new, with new mechanics, so it doesn't flow as well as you're used to in the levels you've played to death.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Most stuff for me was just "There's a Sonic game and I'm not immediately a master of it?! ARGH :argh:", yeah, but there is a couple things I think are genuinely lame as gently caress. One being the Flying Battery Act 2 boss, another being the Oil Ocean Act 2 boss instakilling you if you land on a platform at the wrong time. And this one just tweaked the hell out of me, but the Titanic Monarch act 2 boss will pull you out of Super Sonic when you enter the arena, so I went into the boss with 46 rings, got hit and had to do the rest of it as normal sonic. :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The original design proposal for Sonic Mania was just those original levels and final boss. They only were allowed to make it longer because doing level remixes meant they could save on costs

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Sonic Mania is perhaps the best Sonic game ever, and I'm not exaggerating. Sonic 3 and Knuckles has it beat in my mind, but I'm not sure how much of that is nostalgia talking. This game is really, really fuckin' good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

guts and bolts posted:

Sonic Mania is perhaps the best Sonic game ever, and I'm not exaggerating. Sonic 3 and Knuckles has it beat in my mind, but I'm not sure how much of that is nostalgia talking. This game is really, really fuckin' good.

I have to sit on it a while but I probably have to give it to 3&K still just to all original levels. I really hope to see an all original game from the Mania team in the same style someday.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's funny, cuz even though Hydrocity 2 played well...I honestly thought they straight up ruined Hydrocity 1. It plays like poo poo and the boss is garbo.

i made that boss harder than it had to be - i thought i had to make the bombs explode on him didn't realize i could just drag him up.

i still think sonic 2 is the best one. instashield made the games after it too easy. i'm also one of those people that splits up 3 and snk because that's how we played em back then.

VJeff posted:

The Hydrocity Boss is completely befuddling to me. Shouldn't the two "phases" of it be totally reversed?

the robotnik bots tend to be the zone boss.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 19, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Hydrocity Boss is completely befuddling to me. Shouldn't the two "phases" of it be totally reversed?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

guts and bolts posted:

its hard to say because mania has two enormous quality of life improvements (widescreen and 60fps) that S3&K didnt have and they make the basic parts of the game feel soooo much better

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What happens if you let scuba botnik place a bomb on the left side?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

anime was right posted:

its hard to say because mania has two enormous quality of life improvements (widescreen and 60fps) that S3&K didnt have and they make the basic parts of the game feel soooo much better

I'd love for some remasters of the classic sonic games for home consoles.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

Don't really care about DLC but It might be nice if it got a patch eventually to iron out some of the bugs at least.

Christian Whitehead confirmed that they're working on patches on Twitter.

In terms of DLC I wouldn't really want them to go crazy, all I'd really want would be Egg Gauntlet (the boss rush mode that Sonic 2 iOS had). I'd dig Amy or Vector DLC but it's not necessary. It'd be nice to get 2-button super activation like Sonic 3C in a patch

I'm not sure I'd want a direct Mania 2 either, I'd be afraid it'd end up feeling like Mega Man 10 did after Mega Man 9--no matter how good it is I don't know that this is something you can do twice. The Mania team should definitely be given full ground to do whatever the gently caress they want with the franchise though

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 20, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

VJeff posted:

Most stuff for me was just "There's a Sonic game and I'm not immediately a master of it?! ARGH :argh:", yeah, but there is a couple things I think are genuinely lame as gently caress. One being the Flying Battery Act 2 boss, another being the Oil Ocean Act 2 boss instakilling you if you land on a platform at the wrong time. And this one just tweaked the hell out of me, but the Titanic Monarch act 2 boss will pull you out of Super Sonic when you enter the arena, so I went into the boss with 46 rings, got hit and had to do the rest of it as normal sonic. :v:

Yeah this is really loving weird, if you weren't in Super before entering but have the rings, you can't activate it at all in that hallway leading to the boss until a few seconds after the fight actually starts. Very odd design choice

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

just have em make sonic 5.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Can't wait for Sonic Rush 3

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That pretty much already happened with 1, 2 and CD. 1 and 2 just really need console and PC ports.

Where did this happen that added widescreen and 60FPS (with all the powerups and such seen in Sonic 3 onwards)?

Mania's really put me in the mood to fire up S3&K. That game was just so loving good.

I remember being super disappointed/angry with Sonic 3 when it first came out because i'd been waiting ages for it, saved up a bunch of pocket money and borrowed some more from my parents for it (~£50 in total) and grabbed a copy on launch day, only to bring it home and finsh it in about 2 hours.

Then once i plugged in Knuckes it became this whole other thing and now it's one of my favourite games of all time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Can't wait for Sonic Rush 3

That already exists, it's the DS version of Sonic Colors.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kin posted:

Where did this happen that added widescreen and 60FPS (with all the powerups and such seen in Sonic 3 onwards)?

Mania's really put me in the mood to fire up S3&K. That game was just so loving good.

I remember being super disappointed/angry with Sonic 3 when it first came out because i'd been waiting ages for it, saved up a bunch of pocket money and borrowed some more from my parents for it (~£50 in total) and grabbed a copy on launch day, only to bring it home and finsh it in about 2 hours.

Then once i plugged in Knuckes it became this whole other thing and now it's one of my favourite games of all time.

The Sonic cd port is on steam, ps3, 360, and smartphone. Sadly Sonic 1 and 2 are smartphone only. And yeah they add widescreen and some new features (tails in cd for example) and are real good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Did Metallic Madness Zone Act 1 in 1'07"12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDUggFc6xxg

I want to go for 1'05" but I'm going to take a break for now

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I know there's probably no way that it would fit but not using metallic madness's good future song sucks because it's the best song in Sonic CD

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I didn't know this game was out until the next day. Played up to the Chemical Plant Zone 2 Boss and had to pause the game and call my wife over because I'm a huge nerd. We've been playing a lot of Puyo Puyo Tetris, so it was really easy.

I haven't seen any footage of this game before playing it. It was pretty great coming in blind. :)

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

nerdbot posted:

Christian Whitehead confirmed that they're working on patches on Twitter.

In terms of DLC I wouldn't really want them to go crazy, all I'd really want would be Egg Gauntlet (the boss rush mode that Sonic 2 iOS had). I'd dig Amy or Vector DLC but it's not necessary. It'd be nice to get 2-button super activation like Sonic 3C in a patch

I'm not sure I'd want a direct Mania 2 either, I'd be afraid it'd end up feeling like Mega Man 10 did after Mega Man 9--no matter how good it is I don't know that this is something you can do twice. The Mania team should definitely be given full ground to do whatever the gently caress they want with the franchise though

I'd pay for a Sonic Mania 2. And 3. And 4. Mania is a $20 instant classic. If Sonic Mania 2 is just all new levels and inspired new boss battles, I will buy it. I'll keep buying them until they stop making them.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have to sit on it a while but I probably have to give it to 3&K still just to all original levels. I really hope to see an all original game from the Mania team in the same style someday.

I'm leaning towards S3&K because I'm trying to let Sonic Mania digest to form a more sophisticated opinion. In the week of post-release euphoriahype, I've basically not stopped playing it. I now play Sonic Mania more than I do basically any other single activity while awake. That's not a good environment for trying to look at things with a bit more objectivity. Still, I don't want to undersell it - Sonic Mania is by far my favorite Switch game. I have until recently still been replaying my Sonic&Knuckles collection, which I'm pretty sure I bought in... 1997? so that I don't burn my Genesis out; I play S3&K maybe two or three times a week. I fully expect Sonic Mania will just supplant that game, and I've been playing that PC port for no-joke twenty goddamn years.

Sonic Mania is really good.

anime was right posted:

When I try to form any kind of opinion on a game I tend to exclude elements like this from the discussion, and focus purely on gameplay and presentation and blah blah and how all that fits together to make up the complete experience - but this is definitely worth emphasizing. Sonic Mania has a ton of QoL improvements and runs like butter in my experience, accounts of FPS drops during UFO chase on Switch notwithstanding.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/899099405105614849

Only registered members can see post attachments!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

didn't sonic fight for women on several occasions

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Kin posted:

Haha, glad I'm not the only one. I was underwhelmed by Sonic 3 when it came out, especially because it was so short compared to Sonic 2, but it's amazing when it's with S&K.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

faster metallic madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZv4wAjIJFk

I wonder if sub 1 minute is possible...

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

i love that dang hedge hog

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

guts and bolts posted:

I'd pay for a Sonic Mania 2. And 3. And 4. Mania is a $20 instant classic. If Sonic Mania 2 is just all new levels and inspired new boss battles, I will buy it. I'll keep buying them until they stop making them.

I'm leaning towards S3&K because I'm trying to let Sonic Mania digest to form a more sophisticated opinion. In the week of post-release euphoriahype, I've basically not stopped playing it. I now play Sonic Mania more than I do basically any other single activity while awake. That's not a good environment for trying to look at things with a bit more objectivity. Still, I don't want to undersell it - Sonic Mania is by far my favorite Switch game. I have until recently still been replaying my Sonic&Knuckles collection, which I'm pretty sure I bought in... 1997? so that I don't burn my Genesis out; I play S3&K maybe two or three times a week. I fully expect Sonic Mania will just supplant that game, and I've been playing that PC port for no-joke twenty goddamn years.

Sonic Mania is really good.

When I try to form any kind of opinion on a game I tend to exclude elements like this from the discussion, and focus purely on gameplay and presentation and blah blah and how all that fits together to make up the complete experience - but this is definitely worth emphasizing. Sonic Mania has a ton of QoL improvements and runs like butter in my experience, accounts of FPS drops during UFO chase on Switch notwithstanding.

The biggest dud level in mania is hydrocity as it's the only level that's worse than the original. If that's the low water mark and when you compare the mark to marble garden and carnival night, mania comes out ahead, considering the number of stellar levels it has easily rivals 3&K.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Finally got a Switch so I went ahead and bought Mania. Just finished Stardust Speedway for the night and man. This is 100% the game everyone has been asking for for so long. I guess it just needed to wait until this specific group of people could develop it because it's drat near perfect. I have a minor issue or two with the bosses (Sonic's bosses tend to have an problem with making you wait, which is the worst thing after blasting through a level at a billion miles per hour) but the bosses have all been really cool and interesting. Metal Sonic's boss fight was loving rad, the music was so good. And the Studiopolis first act boss was really cool. The thing that really strikes me about the game so far, is in the remixed levels, it will constantly take familiar stuff you would know about and flip them on their heads. I played SO much Sonic 2 and 3&K growing up, I know those games backwards and forwards pretty much. So when the game throws something at you you think you know and then does something COMPLETELY unexpected with it, it's such a treat. There are so many times so far where I've been like "you clever sons of bitches". The game is fun and good enough on its own, but if you're a big fan of the classic games it CONSTANTLY rewards that

And I finally got to see the Chemical Plant Zone boss. Incredible. Is it even possible to lose that one if you don't do it on purpose?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 20, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
What the Taxman needs to do next instead of Sonic Mania 2 is Super Sonic Jam. Give me the Taxman remakes of Sonic 1, 2, CD and 3&K on something that has actual buttons - i.e. Steam and modern consoles. And make it so you can merge Sonic 1/2/3K/CD into one giant super game.

Unfortunately though a Taxman remake of 3&K might not be possible. Not for technical reasons, but for legal bullshit. There is a lawsuit going on regarding Sonic 3. When asked about it, Christian Whitehead said he isn't allowed to talk about it. This probably why on those crappy Atgames Sega Genesis clones, they have Sonic 1, 2, Sonic & Knuckles, but no 3. Taxman and Stealth want to do it.

https://www.sonicretro.org/2015/02/regarding-sonic-3-guest-post-by-stealth/

I don't know what the exact legal stipulations are and nobody really knows or is at liberty to say. Sonic 3&K hasn't be re-released since 2011 and the legal action started in 2012. I would rather have a remake of Sonic 3 with changed music than none at all. I mean... the original music is a lot better, but the music from the PC version of Sonic & Knuckles Collection isn't horrible if they have to use it. Some of the songs actually sound good played on a Sega Genesis in Sonic 3 Complete. The Sonic CD remake had a similar situation where they had to do instrumental versions of Toot Toot Sonic Warrior.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Super Sonic Jam would be rad. Especially if it brought back Sonic Advance-style playable Amy. Using any of the three outfits she's had, I don't really care, I just wanna run around real fast smacking things with a hammer.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Sonic CD remake had a similar situation where they had to do instrumental versions of Toot Toot Sonic Warrior.

I didn't know that, I thought it had always been instrumental and wondered why anyone would prefer it over Sonic Boom.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 20, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keiya posted:

Super Sonic Jam would be rad. Especially if it brought back Sonic Advance-style playable Amy. Using any of the three outfits she's had, I don't really care, I just wanna run around real fast smacking things with a hammer.

I didn't know that, I thought it had always been instrumental and wondered why anyone would prefer it over Sonic Boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uTHWlLFgWI

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

This is my first 2d sonic and I think I'm pretty bad, gotten at least half a dozen game overs in chemical zone haha.

Games gorgeous though and the soundtrack is amazing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Man, just get Tee Lopes to replace the disputed tracks in S3. Yeah, it sucks to lose them, but the replacements will kick rear end and we get another kickass remaster.

(Also modders will inevitably put the original tracks back in)

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Ceramics posted:

This is my first 2d sonic and I think I'm pretty bad, gotten at least half a dozen game overs in chemical zone haha.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Evil Eagle posted:

faster metallic madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZv4wAjIJFk

I wonder if sub 1 minute is possible...