Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also noticed that Danny wears a lot more hoodies in this one. Almost like it's not always Jones in the fight scenes this time! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I also noticed that Danny wears a lot more hoodies in this one. Almost like it's not always Jones in the fight scenes this time! :v:

Peripheral vision isn't important in hand to hand combat!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm still bothered by the fist not portraying a molten/flaming kind of look. Have just the finale left but definitely enjoying defenders.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just finished ep 6: HOLY poo poo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That Defenders ending. :catstare:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Iron fist is dumber than Barry Allan

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: wrong thread

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Iron fist is dumber than Barry Allan

Nah. Most of his mistakes are from his emotions or his inexperience in dealing with the real world. Barry is told time and time again to not do something, always sees bad consequences from it, but still does it.

But yeah, Defenders is real good. I like how it sets up a lot for everyone.

Jessica is open for business again and it's strongly hinted that she and Luke will eventually get together again. Luke only wants to do good, but needs to be paid somehow. So it's almost like he wants to be a hero for hire. Danny is inspired by Matt to be a hero, and we have a sort of him taking over for Daredevil shot at the end of the series. And Matt is going to meet Maggie and you might say he'll be born again.

Also Misty got her arm cut off! Bionic arm is on the way.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 20, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Just finished ep 6: HOLY poo poo

The end of that episode blew my mind. Really hard to save the last two for tomorrow but I’m going to have to.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Question about the end of it

So how much of Elektra is actually her and how much is the Black Sky monster? It seemed like the big ending of episode 6 was her coming alive again, but her actions don't really make sense alongside the Elektra from DD S2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SonicRulez posted:

So how much of Elektra is actually her and how much is the Black Sky monster? It seemed like the big ending of episode 6 was her coming alive again, but her actions don't really make sense alongside the Elektra from DD S2.

Elektra' bounced between having Stick control her life to The Hand, and most specifically Alexandra, control her life. This was her way of saying gently caress all y'all, I'm in charge, and by the way, dying sucks so I'm going to try immortality out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Forgot how much I enjoyed Elodie Yung as Elektra. Also really good job on her costumes. That long jacket kicks rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Forgot how much I enjoyed Elodie Yung as Elektra. Also really good job on her costumes. That long jacket kicks rear end.

Aside from Daredevil's actual costume that was designed by other people, the costume department for the Netflix shows has been on point for every show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was way to excited to see Luke wearing a yellow T shirt in the first episode. I'm only on episode 7 but Its hard to imagine that this is the same Danny as was in the Iron Fist series.

Though drat RIP Stick. He was such an rear end in a top hat, but a great one

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Though drat RIP Stick. He was such an rear end in a top hat, but a great one

Scott Glenn is perfect casting for Stick

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yep, with the one really glaring exception, the casting is really solid in these.

Though I kept thinking "you know, Moon Knight would have been perfect to be added in". I also was never a big fan of Elektra (I always preferred Typhoid Mary as the crazy Matt stuck his dick in), but Defenders gives a really good version of her that is terrifying.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 20, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm about three episodes from finishing DareDevil S2, should I binge the rest of that before starting on Defenders?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Veotax posted:

I'm about three episodes from finishing DareDevil S2, should I binge the rest of that before starting on Defenders?

Definitely.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I think the idea is that Alexandra was deluding herself. Matt was right, it was always Elektra, maybe just with the post Dragon jizz amnesia Papa Meacham had after Ward shanked him. She's just sick of being told what to do and her natural inclination has always been to wild thrillseeking and violence.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Veotax posted:

Defenders feels more like a direct continuation of that than Iron Fist, tbh. The Iron Fist stuff barely requires you even watch IF, while the DD stuff is a direct continuation of plot and character development from that season.

I'm considering rewatching DD S2. I have a question for those that have a better memory than me (or have seen it recently). Spoilers for DD, IF, and Defenders : Did they flat out retcon a lot of their Hand info between shows? Wasn't the bad guy from Daredevil supposed to be the head honcho? I mean, it seems like he was supposed to be one of the 5 fingers, but the Japanese dude in Defenders says he's been there since the beginning? Also, did they seriously waste the substance on Ward's dad during Iron Fist?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh god, I literally teared up at Foggy and Karen and the end there, just waiting for Matt to come back

I also hope that Misty has a sweet Stark Robot Arm next time she shows up. That shoots missiles and the other stuff It does in the comics

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 21, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What would be really cool is if Finn Jones committed really hard to Keanu-style training and they opened season 2 with a really clean badass fight scene where he's clearly doing all the stunts. They did that for Chloe Bennett and in one scene turned her from a roll-your-eyes action actor to a credible badass.

Also, I don't know if I'm the only one to notice, but Alexandra and Iron Fist aren't so different, her and him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought Alexandra wasn't supposed to be so different from Elektra, her and she?

It could also be said that Elektra and Matt are not so different, she and he.

Also Gao and Danny are not so different either, him and her.

And perhaps Colleen and Bakuto are also not ver

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jessica punching Madam Gao was the most satisfying part of the series and I want more of that.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Episode 7 fight scene was loving horrible. Whoever had the idea of Gao participating in hand-to-hand combat shouldn't direct fight scenes ever again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Episode 7 fight scene was loving horrible. Whoever had the idea of Gao participating in hand-to-hand combat shouldn't direct fight scenes ever again.

It was rough but the scene I'm talking about is in 5.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I finished watching last night and I was stunned that they actually lopped Misty's arm off. I kept thinking "this is a funny moment where Misty realizes she is in over her head and then Colleen will jump back in to the fight any second" but then WHOA the arm is gone. Also that guy falling down the hole in episode 8 looked horrible. Like, I know that the Netflix shows aren't working on a movie budget but wow that was bad. Also speaking of special effects or the lack thereof, I'm really surprised they never showed Shou-Lao in Iron Fist. I know people have said "oh they don't have the budget" but man Arrow/Flash did loving King Shark and Grodd and sure they didn't look great but it was cool and they pulled it off on what I'm sure is less of a budget than the Netflix shows. It seems like Marvel/Netflix's effects budget is just all spent the minute they make Iron Fist's hand glow one too many times.

I found it kind of funny that after Iron Fist (the show) provided the information that Hand people can only die by beheading, everyone conveniently beheads the Hand members even though Ward never really passed on that info to Danny (although I guess Stick might've known what he was doing). Also while I'm super glad they didn't actually kill Matt since he's totally my favorite, I felt it was a real cop out having him turn out to be alive after all his friends think he's dead (and also he totally should be).

edit: I find it annoying]that they haven't given Danny his costume, or at least a nod to it for a second. Sure he doesn't have to wear it, but even (for example) Luke Cage acknowledged his old-school goofy costume for like a minute in his show, and JJ had the Jewel costume in a flashback. IF/Defenders won't even let Finn Jones shave his lovely hobo beard.

notthegoatseguy posted:

But she has force push powers so that makes up for it! :v:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 21, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Matt's homemade costume in S1 was so close to Danny's in the comics, what are the chances of that being his inspiration for a uniform now that Daredevil is away?

Overall, I enjoyed it. It's a slow burn but these shows are clearly made for binging - and we're going to do it anyway.

Also it was great anytime people were making GBS threads on Iron Fist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TwoPair posted:

So I finished watching last night and I was stunned that they actually lopped Misty's arm off. I kept thinking "this is a funny moment where Misty realizes she is in over her head and then Colleen will jump back in to the fight any second" but then WHOA the arm is gone. Also that guy falling down the hole in episode 8 looked horrible. Like, I know that the Netflix shows aren't working on a movie budget but wow that was bad. Also speaking of special effects or the lack thereof, I'm really surprised they never showed Shou-Lao in Iron Fist. I know people have said "oh they don't have the budget" but man Arrow/Flash did loving King Shark and Grodd and sure they didn't look great but it was cool and they pulled it off on what I'm sure is less of a budget than the Netflix shows. It seems like Marvel/Netflix's effects budget is just all spent the minute they make Iron Fist's hand glow one too many times.

I found it kind of funny that after Iron Fist (the show) provided the information that Hand people can only die by beheading, everyone conveniently beheads the Hand members even though Ward never really passed on that info to Danny (although I guess Stick might've known what he was doing). Also while I'm super glad they didn't actually kill Matt since he's totally my favorite, I felt it was a real cop out having him turn out to be alive after all his friends think he's dead (and also he totally should be).

edit: I find it annoying]that they haven't given Danny his costume, or at least a nod to it for a second. Sure he doesn't have to wear it, but even (for example) Luke Cage acknowledged his old-school goofy costume for like a minute in his show, and JJ had the Jewel costume in a flashback. IF/Defenders won't even let Finn Jones shave his lovely hobo beard.

But she has force push powers so that makes up for it! :v:

The only "immortal" hand members were the 5 fingers.

Also the Flash I'm willing to bet has a significantly higher budget than a 13 episode Netflix series. Those TV shows can afford the expensive CG effects because they will just take that money away from other episodes, and just have an entire episode or two that takes place on like 2 sets, with minimal or no CG usage to cover for it. That's way easier to do when you get the budget for a 22 episode season.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

TwoPair posted:

I find it annoying]that they haven't given Danny his costume

He wore some green and yellow robes while he was a trainee in the monastery which were pretty iron fisty, I reckon that's about as much a nod as it's going to get. Unless he uses Luke's shirt as a mask at some stage in the next series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dexo posted:

The only "immortal" hand members were the 5 fingers.

Except for Nobu. And that dude in Iron Fist. And Elektra.

It came up in TVIV that the runners of the various shows don't talk to each other at all, and it was very politely suggested that this is where things like Gao suddenly being a part of the Hand come from. Not at all the plan for her on Daredevil, but Iron Fist's showrunner wanted her to be part of the Hand and so she became that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And every ninja that attacked the hospital.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Katee Sackhoff has joined the cast of Flash as a villain this season. She'll be playing Blacksmith, a Johns era villain with very poorly defined powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Katee Sackhoff has joined the cast of Flash as a villain this season. She'll be playing Blacksmith, a Johns era villain with very poorly defined powers.

She has the power to resurrect herself, or maybe actually she's dead but it's an angel with her face.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

She has the power to resurrect herself, or maybe actually she's dead but it's an angel with her face.

Ugggggg shut uppppppp

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Maybe she's a deputy in a giant Wyoming area, which has a, in hindsight, amazingly huge homicide rate, which somehow doesn't reflect badly on the Sheriff.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Defenders ended with such a wet fart. Did they run out of budget for the last episode or something? Everything just looked so loving cheap. Fight scenes all sucked except for Colleen/Misty/Claire/Hand Guy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Defenders ended with such a wet fart. Did they run out of budget for the last episode or something? Everything just looked so loving cheap. Fight scenes all sucked except for Colleen/Misty/Claire/Hand Guy.

The Daredevil/Elektra fight was good. But then it's an actress who can really fight, an actor who's put the effort in, plus a costume that lets you put a stuntman in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

That's a good generalization of Johns era characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

That's a good generalization of Johns era characters.

Or just flash villains in general