Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Game officially dead:

https://www.masseffect.com/news/mass-effect-andromeda-update-from-the-studio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That Quarian ark DLC hook hanging there is now even sadder, because before it was clumsy and cheap, but now it's clumsy, cheap, and somehow overambitious.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

quote:

Daveke7

Well that was a big massive gently caress you to al the fans. I hope you are proud of yourself Bioware. And i hope you are proud of you all the people who felt it necessary to bash this game into the ground.
I won't be buying a book or a comic to get to know how the plot holes end. I loved this franchise with all my heart and it honestly pains me to see what it has turned to and how EA and Bioware are treating the IP and it's fans. Bioware used to be my favorite studio but i am sad to say that that has ended. They sold there soul to EA years ago and it has gone downhill ever since.
The end of a era for me. It was good while it lasted.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It would have bee brilliant, like Trespasser.

Oh well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh well. I feel Andromeda is at worst a merely average game with a godawful UI, certainly not worthy of seemingly killing the franchise until EA reboots it in ten or fifteen years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not unlike gaming food, MEA ends its time with us a runny pile of regrets and disappointment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It would have bee brilliant, like Trespasser.

I was going to make a Jurassic Park: Trespasser joke, but then I realized even that was more effort than Andromeda deserved.

At least Trespasser was interesting in its utter failure.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's a shame.

Andromeda had a laundry list of problems and wasn't that great a game, but they set some seeds for the future that I was interested to see if they could turn it around with a sequel or some really good DLC, but the gaming world is harsh, and with how bad the launch was, it never had a shot.

Now I guess all that remains is to see what the resurrection of the franchise will inevitably be.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they never gave the Asari more than one face model, did they?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rinkles posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they never gave the Asari more than one face model, did they?

Nope. There's Peebee and then every other asari has the same face.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pretty proud, yeah. My list of achievements now reads:
  • Took a shower
  • Cooked a simple meal
  • Destroyed a successful gaming franchise by posting on Something Awful

Rinkles posted:

Nope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We did it, everyone.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Nope. There's Peebee and then every other asari has the same face.

Matriarch Aethyta in ME2 changes face models the drunker you get, so she has as many face models as every asari in MEA

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
people harp on prerelease gifs of lovely animations killing Andromeda but what really killed it is that it is a boring game devoid of any interesting ideas or consequences

they saw fans liked being best friends with their squadmates in previous ME and DA games so now you have to be best friends with your MEA squadmates (at worst you're a best friend who goes "oh, you!" sometimes), and none of them can die

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Compare Horizon which was the laughing stock du jour when preview footage of its dialog hit the web. Made a lot of people skeptical, but the game proved itself worthy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Rinkles posted:

Compare Horizon which was the laughing stock du jour when preview footage of its dialog hit the web. Made a lot of people skeptical, but the game proved itself worthy.

That was like, half a dozen goons for a day before early reviews came out. Everything else about Horizon suggested it was going to be a mega hit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It was never to the scale of Andromeda, but no it wasn't relegated to SA.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
mass effect Andromeda is gonna have a bigger impact on the industry than the original trilogy since big game companies are gonna hire people to make sure they get hype memes for the aesthetic of upcoming games for forever now, tbh

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Montreal is becoming the place where they send franchises to die. First Mankind Divided and now this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

mass effect Andromeda is gonna have a bigger impact on the industry than the original trilogy since big game companies are gonna hire people to make sure they get hype memes for the aesthetic of upcoming games for forever now, tbh

1. Develop and release game in desperately amateurish state.
2. Invent $90 and $120 super hype deluxe preorders for increasingly nervous fanboys to spent their money on.
3. Convince them that throwing more money at Andromeda will really piss off the haters pointing out totally rational facts, such as "the game looks bad."
4. Reap day one profits before reviews and word of mouth can slow its roll, shutter studio and flee the scene of the crime.

It's a game development model for the 21st century.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

people harp on prerelease gifs of lovely animations killing Andromeda but what really killed it is that it is a boring game devoid of any interesting ideas or consequences

they saw fans liked being best friends with their squadmates in previous ME and DA games so now you have to be best friends with your MEA squadmates (at worst you're a best friend who goes "oh, you!" sometimes), and none of them can die

This is it. Andromeda is cargo cult Mass Effect set in a boring setting with empty open worlds and copy/paste dungeons. It's all tedious busywork strung together with half-assed writing on every level.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It's interesting to see the people who laughed at the bad game being blamed for the death of the franchise, instead of the studio that made the bad game in the first place.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's interesting to see the people who laughed at the bad game being blamed for the death of the franchise, instead of the studio that made the bad game in the first place.

I mean you could make an argument that BioWare games have a target on their back due to mad gamer dudes being sad that gay people exist but if the game was any good it wouldn't have mattered

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

I mean you could make an argument that BioWare games have a target on their back due to mad gamer dudes being sad that gay people exist but if the game was any good it wouldn't have mattered

You could also point out that Andromeda had a target on its back because ME3...

Look. I actually like ME3. I think it's a good game, on average, and with the revised ending, it's a decent enough way to close out the series. But there's two things.

1) It still hosed up six ways from Sunday a lot of the time. The opening was terrible, there's a lot of awkward in the middle (Kai Leng is the obvious punching bag, but he's not the only problem) and the original ending was pretty much insulting.

2) And even to the extent ME3 was good and/or satisfying it ended things. The whole series was wrapped up with a bow, every major conflict was dealt with one way or another, and Shepard's story ended in death, apotheosis, or somehow surviving being at ground zero for the citadel exploding. There's not much left to hook players in. And Andromeda did nothing to fix the problem.

It's not impossible to make a good sequel to something like that, but it's a drat sight harder. Meant people were more prepared to notice Andromeda's flaws.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

It's important not to overestimate the power or prevalence of these pieces of poo poo. GamerGate and everything like it was a very vocal minority that was openly rejected by anyone of any significance and most "gamers" didn't give a poo poo about it.

A certain crowd have been whining about the gays in BW games since...at least Dragon Age 2 so far as I know. But they are hardly a force worth fearing. They deserve all the scorn and contempt in the world but did they sink ME:A? Did the people who actually think BioWare actively tried to make the female characters look ugly amount to anything? Absolutely not.

ME:A stank because of its own merits and because of ME3's toxic reputation. (and I agree with chiasaur11 that ME3 was actaully decent. I'd sooner play it again than ME1. Also dat music.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Seems like this game was bad.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

NikkolasKing posted:

It's important not to overestimate the power or prevalence of these pieces of poo poo. GamerGate and everything like it was a very vocal minority that was openly rejected by anyone of any significance and most "gamers" didn't give a poo poo about it.

A certain crowd have been whining about the gays in BW games since...at least Dragon Age 2 so far as I know. But they are hardly a force worth fearing. They deserve all the scorn and contempt in the world but did they sink ME:A? Did the people who actually think BioWare actively tried to make the female characters look ugly amount to anything? Absolutely not.

ME:A stank because of its own merits and because of ME3's toxic reputation. (and I agree with chiasaur11 that ME3 was actaully decent. I'd sooner play it again than ME1. Also dat music.)

the gently caress are you talking about?

also EA/bioware ballot stuffed their own "we're against homophobia" thing on their site with bots. it was a very good look, for them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm never entirely certain how much influence to ascribe to these folks because while there's not that many of them they're so active that they tend to drive a higher percentage of the discourse than you'd think given their numbers

so if you're some normie wondering "hey is X a good game" and X is a game the crazies have decided they don't like (whether correctly or incorrectly) you're gonna see the tanking metacritic fan rating and maybe have some second thoughts

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I'm glad that the quarians got owned one final time by BioWare baking in a bunch of DLC and sequel hooks that will never come to fruition now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Came here to post this.

exquisite tea posted:

We did it, everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xButjfhZWVU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out the dish full of mass effect was at the back of the fridge behind a 10 kilogram block of cheese this whole time forgotten about and it's since gone off.

I mean you could try to scrape some of the mold off but I'm not sure the meat is good for anything.

*takes a sniff*

Oh god no. This is terrible. Very bad. Let's throw this out immediately.

*tosses franchise into rubbish bin with old coffee grounds*

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm Pathfinder Ryder and this is my favorite game in the discount bin.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Pattonesque posted:

Beating the prerelease gifs into the ground didn't exactly help, though.

Oh well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Beating the prerelease gifs into the ground didn't exactly help, though.

Oh well.

well sure but if the game was a good game it would have been a blip

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cythereal posted:

Oh well. I feel Andromeda is at worst a merely average game with a godawful UI, certainly not worthy of seemingly killing the franchise until EA reboots it in ten or fifteen years.

See I thought this too and then I fired up The Witcher 2 and I realized that sinking hours into Andromeda had just hosed up my barometer and I had forgotten what it felt like to play a good game.

I never looked back.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Remember to brush your teeth gamers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"They did NOT say that this will be the final game, we need to take that for what we can, I refuse to believe they would explicitly say they are done with the single player updates but not with the games."

:laffo:

Thanks random bioware fan living in denial.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

DancingShade posted:

"They did NOT say that this will be the final game, we need to take that for what we can, I refuse to believe they would explicitly say they are done with the single player updates but not with the games."

:laffo:

Thanks random bioware fan living in denial.

Of course they're not done with the games.

They have no further plans but at some point in the future someone will say "hey you know what was a really good and popular franchise? Mass Effect! Let's make another one!" Because the Free Market Dictates Things That Were Popular must be driven into the ground at least 5 times before they die for good.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sky Shadowing posted:

Of course they're not done with the games.

They have no further plans but at some point in the future someone will say "hey you know what was a really good and popular franchise? Mass Effect! Let's make another one!" Because the Free Market Dictates Things That Were Popular must be driven into the ground at least 5 times before they die for good.

Remember when they made a lovely new mirror's edge

after that other lovely mirror's edge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Remember to brush your teeth gamers.

Yes! Take care of your teeth and mouth-flesh! It is very important!