Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
by the way, im not opposed to groups that use white solidarity to pull ppl up into class consciousness see sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

• White americans don't engage with, and are effectively no longer members of, the European communities that they can 'trace' ancestry to.
  • The act of trying to find your true self, through a search of your pedigree, like a dog, is regressive as hell, almost by definition. The assumptions behind it are...let's say 'problematic'.

Wanting to understand your family heritage/lineage is not the same as phrenology or race science.

EDIT: Culturally individual European countries weren't even uniform especially going far back in time. It's cool to understand the differences between lowland Scottish clans and highland Scottish clans.

Venom Snake has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Aug 20, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Al! posted:

by the way, im not opposed to groups that use white solidarity to pull ppl up into class consciousness see sig

juggalos transcend race

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

juggalos transcend race

the juggalo is the mirror of utopia but unfortunately not all of us are so brave as to actually listen to icp on a regular basis

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

the juggalo is the mirror of utopia but unfortunately not all of us are so brave as to actually listen to icp on a regular basis

Al! posted:

a funhouse mirror from the Dark Carnival 🎪

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
To add a pic here's one of my ancestors who served under Joan of Arc fighting the regressive english scum who demanded as flamboyant a tomb as possible.

His crest (The heart being a douglas thing since the 1300's):

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

anglo-teutonic looks like a fuckin drag

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what's wrong with wanting a link to your historical origins?
Because it's not your origins, it's the story of people that you just so happen to share lineage to, or dna with. Your story begins the moment you are born, and ends the moment you die (alone). The End.

Venom Snake posted:

Wanting to understand your family heritage/lineage is not the same as phrenology or race science.
They're two sides of the same coin. People believe both for exactly the same reasons: they get to project the stories of others, and the fantasies associated with it, into their own self, because it makes them feel good.

People want meaning, they want self-knowledge, but they lack the ability to measure it, so they grasp for whatever they can, including mythology or pseudoscience. Ancestry and race science are two pseudo-scientific ways of getting it.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Aug 20, 2017

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
tired: dividing the working class by race/nationality is regressive

wired: embrace your scottish heritage and crush english tory scum for the imperialist royalist dogs they are

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

Ancestry and Race science are two pseudo-scientific ways of getting it.

Race science is bullshit to try and justify white supremacy. Ancestry for the purposes of gaining knowledge (read: not using it to justify hierarchy) isn't about any kind of supremacy.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's just extremely stupid.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Venom Snake posted:

wired: embrace your scottish heritage and crush english tory scum for the imperialist royalist dogs they are
As a German, I

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

Because it's not your origins, it's the story of people that you just so happen to share lineage to, or dna with. Your story begins the moment you are born, and ends the moment you die (alone). The End.

this is solipsistic garbage.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"i don't see race"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just to step back from this discussion for a min, it makes me feel v unironically happy that we're rehashing the centuries old commie v anarchist "are extra-class identities bourgeois-constructed barriers to class solidarity or weapons to use against the capitalist state" argument

only thru shitposts

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what's wrong with wanting a link to your historical origins?

it is reactionary.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is literally true and not at all solipsistic.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thing is anarchists are needed more than communists rn........ hmmm........... any of u guys and gals wanna become anarchists with the hopes that our soc and com comrades will make the reeducation camps kind of fun

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Al! posted:

just to step back from this discussion for a min, it makes me feel v unironically happy that we're rehashing the centuries old commie v anarchist "are extra-class identities bourgeois-constructed barriers to class solidarity or weapons to use against the capitalist state" argument

only thru shitposts

Of course you would think that, you have the brain pan of a stagecoach tilter!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kingfish posted:

it is reactionary.

contextualizing your place in a world historical process is enlightening

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Al! posted:

thing is anarchists are needed more than communists rn........ hmmm........... any of u guys and gals wanna become anarchists with the hopes that our soc and com comrades will make the reeducation camps kind of fun
we'll put some lovely fun murals on the wall we put you up against

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Al! posted:

only thru shitposts

I'd love to read some examples if you have them.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kingfish posted:

an individual's origins predate their very conception. it's literally wrong outside of a solipsistic framework

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

The Kingfish posted:

trying to understand your family history is not the same as trying to take credit for it

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/899013255506649089

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

an individual's origins predate their very conception. it's literally wrong outside of a solipsistic framework

that's true but the culture and achievements of one's own ancestors are no more worth celebrating than those of any other historical figures

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

from your use of 'solipsistic', I can tell you don't actually know what the word means

if you wanted to say 'I don't like it', you just should have said that.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Those origins are arbitrary and not meaningful. It's the act of deriving meaning for nature that characterizes religion and mythology, and ancestry stuff is no different.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I'd love to read some examples if you have them.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We maintain, moreover, not only that communism is a desirable state of society, but that the growing tendency of modern society is precisely towards communism — free communism — notwithstanding the seemingly contradictory growth of individualism. In the growth of individualism (especially during the last three centuries) we see merely the endeavors of the individual towards emancipating himself from the steadily growing powers of capital and the State. But side by side with this growth we see also, throughout history up to our own times, the latent struggle of the producers of wealth to maintain the partial communism of old, as well as to reintroduce communist principles in a new shape, as soon as favorable conditions permit it. As soon as the communes of the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth centuries were enabled to start their own independent life, they gave a wide extension to work in common, to trade in common, and to a partial consumption in common. All this has disappeared. But the rural commune fights a hard struggle to maintain its old features, and it succeeds in maintaining them in many places of Eastern Europe, Switzerland, and even France and Germany; while new organizations, based on the same principles, never fail to grow up wherever it is possible.

Ctrl+F Marx posted:

The separate individuals form a class only insofar as they have to carry on a common battle against another class; otherwise they are on hostile terms with each other as competitors. On the other hand, the class in its turn achieves an independent existence over against the individuals, so that the latter find their conditions of existence predestined, and hence have their position in life and their personal development assigned to them by their class, become subsumed under it. This is the same phenomenon as the subjection of the separate individuals to the division of labour and can only be removed by the abolition of private property and of labour itself. We have already indicated several times how this subsuming of individuals under the class brings with it their subjection to all kinds of ideas, etc.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is this not a well known cleavage between marxists and anarchists or do we bicker out of inherited animosities

wait a second

wouldnt that be idpol???????

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

realistically, it's just a form of escapism and masturbation - made clear by people making a beeline for that one nobleman they supposedly have in their family tree somewhere instead of generation upon generation of dirtfarmers

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Childhood is the only meaningful "origin" of a person.

Michael Bayleaf posted:

trying to understand your family history is not the same as trying to take credit for it

We are talking about identifying with your family history not just understanding it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so nobody wants to engage with the texts that this argument comes from???????/

sounds like u guys should all fly a flag with a tinge of black then

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Mute posted:

it's just extremely stupid.

welcome to the majority of human endeavors.

The Kingfish posted:

Childhood is the only meaningful "origin" of a person.

We are talking about identifying with your family history not just understanding it.

You sound like a fun guy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

Those origins are arbitrary and not meaningful. It's the act of deriving meaning for nature that characterizes religion and mythology, and ancestry stuff is no different.

Those origins are material and the result of world historical processes, which are about as meaningful as things get.

rudatron posted:

from your use of 'solipsistic', I can tell you don't actually know what the word means

if you wanted to say 'I don't like it', you just should have said that.

Buddy you just used "arbitrary" to describe historical processes, which are anything but. You can't just decide on a personal whim to have Mongolian origins.

The notion that an individual's origin begins at the point of birth only makes sense within a solipsistic framework.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

The Kingfish posted:

I doubt anyone here would defend taking your identity from your family history.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
native american talks about the destruction of indigenous cultures and separation from traditional lands

woke marxist: well actually,

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The psychological, emotional gratification behind reaction is the promise of a 'guaranteed meaning' for yourself, animated by a cherry-picked and self-serving historiography. This just so happens to be the exact same gratification, behind finding your self 'through your roots'.

I also struggle to see your interpretation of 'meaningful' as honest - not everything that is real is meaningful. I ate a burger, I took a poo poo - is there meaning in that? No. It's a 'historical process' but it means nothing. It's the same with your origins. It just happened.

The universe is mechanical and uncaring, history itself has no meaning, you write your own history. Deal with it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
These aren't cspammy pics AT ALL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I doubt anyone here would defend taking your identity from your family history.

why not? im the son of mormons, of catholics, pioneers, murderers, racists, irish, germans and even if i stretch and grasp a little bit probably even americans

and it makes me who i am today

but i'd give every scrap of it to wrest the reigns of capital from the bourgeoisie and return it to all people, regardless of identity faith or lifestyle