Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Earwicker posted:

that video a page or two ago by the weird irish kid really nailed it

Yea, it's basically the summation of this thread's thesis in a nicely done little video.

And his voice is fine, stop being goony about it, y'all (not you Earwicker, you're cool :radcat:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

berth ell pup posted:

yeah i mean that's a good episode but that ending was really pretty bad. 9 year old me found the "it's still good, it's still good!"/"when pigs fly" bit unbelievably funny.

of course then we can go back to whatever season that was with "john jay jackson" and his happy birthday lisa song which is loving bizarre to watch.

hell i think i have s2-s9 on dvd we should pick an episode and watch it this is a good audience participation in gbs idea.

Yeah the ending wasn't great but cmon
IM SARGENT PEPPERS LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND I HOPE YOU WILL
ENJOY
MY SHOW

And now lots when me or my husband asks the other to grab something the response while getting it will be "here you GO"

That sounds like a fun idea. Like you'd stream it you mean?

Also I'm wondering what people thought was the first unfunny treehouse episode? Not coincidentally, it's season 9 for me.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 19, 2017

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Also I'm wondering what people thought was the first unfunny treehouse episode? Not coincidentally, it's season 9 for me.

*nudging next poster, whispering* He's crazy.

No, you're right though, it's definitely a lot less good than the last one. You're also right about the ending to Lisa the Vegetarian. Apu singing and the McCartneys bopping along would probably make a great looping avatar.

edit: Well not an avatar, but it's such a cute bit of animation.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 19, 2017

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Season 1 isn't so bad

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Armin Tamzarian

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

the kim basinger episode has some funny bits to it. homer giving alec his script is great.

i like when they ask if Ron Howard can drive and he dramatically replies "Not well..." always got a giggle out of me as a kid.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Cobweb Heart posted:

*nudging next poster, whispering* He's crazy.

No, you're right though, it's definitely a lot less good than the last one. You're also right about the ending to Lisa the Vegetarian. Apu singing and the McCartneys bopping along would probably make a great looping avatar.

I'm clearly a terrible Old Simpsons fan because tbh I don't like the Treehouse of Horror series. I think that's three strikes now so I'm out as a bone fide Simpsons fan itt.
I mean they aren't bad but I just don't like them :shrug:.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

berth ell pup posted:

I'm clearly a terrible Old Simpsons fan because tbh I don't like the Treehouse of Horror series. I think that's three strikes now so I'm out as a bone fide Simpsons fan itt.
I mean they aren't bad but I just don't like them :shrug:.

I never liked the treehouse of horror episodes. The only one I thought was cool was 3D homer

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

facebook jihad posted:

Season 1 isn't so bad

When I re-watched season 1 it was kind of a shock. When I was a kid I always disliked it because of lousy, wobbly animation and the fact that the character and jokes weren't quite there yet. But watching it again as an adult it was much more cutting, satirical and dark than I remembered. Just thinking of things like the way the RV guy exploits Homer's insecure sense of middle-class machoism to convince him to buy a terrible RV, or how Marge tries to get Lisa to bottle up her depression and plaster on a smile for the public, it really was so counter-cultural in a way that even two seasons later they mostly got rid of. Its not the Simpsons at its best but I can kind of see why it made such a splash and pushed the buttons of the George Bush's of this world and that was so important for setting the series apart at the time, there just wasn't anything like it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

khwarezm posted:

When I re-watched season 1 it was kind of a shock. When I was a kid I always disliked it because of lousy, wobbly animation and the fact that the character and jokes weren't quite there yet. But watching it again as an adult it was much more cutting, satirical and dark than I remembered. Just thinking of things like the way the RV guy exploits Homer's insecure sense of middle-class machoism to convince him to buy a terrible RV, or how Marge tries to get Lisa to bottle up her depression and plaster on a smile for the public, it really was so counter-cultural in a way that even two seasons later they mostly got rid of. Its not the Simpsons at its best but I can kind of see why it made such a splash and pushed the buttons of the George Bush's of this world and that was so important for setting the series apart at the time, there just wasn't anything like it.

Yeah funny enough a lot the "cultural critique" label that gets applied to The Simpsons really shows up most sharply in the first season. They sort of pivoted away from that pointedness pretty quickly; stuff like Homer the Heretic feels a lot softer to me than, as you mention, Marge's propagation of patriarchy or whatever.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
didn't see it posted here yet so

armymans.tumblr.com

short lived indie zine made by george meyer with bits by swartzwelder and other good early simpons writers. sam simon was a big fan and pretty much just nabbed everyone to work on the show so if you like Good Simpsons humor you'll probably like this a lot too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Last Chance posted:

i like when they ask if Ron Howard can drive and he dramatically replies "Not well..." always got a giggle out of me as a kid.

Ron Howard making the jump and then immediately falling is a highlight to me.

I think the series stays pretty watchable up to season 11 right up to Behind the Laughter, which is genuinely great. Then it starts getting bad.

I do love this bit from one of the stupider episodes though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QSdLDGt7I

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

the kim basinger episode has some funny bits to it. homer giving alec his script is great.
so were the lowlights of season 9, but you could see the storm clouds with episodes that changed principal skinner, moe, ralph, etc. like you could in that ep

regarding the video that was posted: somebody posted the 15 second clip of the season 4 episode with Roger Meyers Jr. taunting a harvard kid earlier in the thread, and it was just as packed with jokes. then there was a clip posted from season 11 that had one funny moment over 30 seconds. lastly, somebody posted a later-season clip where homer gets into a fight with chinese monks or whatever, and it was long, drawn out, and had a joke explained. pretty stunning comparisons

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

VJeff posted:

Ron Howard making the jump and then immediately falling is a highlight to me.

I think the series stays pretty watchable up to season 11 right up to Behind the Laughter, which is genuinely great. Then it starts getting bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyZs3EJgx8Q

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

VJeff posted:

what is wrong with you

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Last Chance posted:

I think Simpsons s9 through s11 are an interesting study in a descent into terribleness

Was it the point the show should have ended?

I mean if we're looking for a lowest point I don't think we should be looking at it like an arc or valley or whatever, most shows just hit a very terrible set of seasons and decide to end it before they piss away all goodwill. Aside from GoT who just got lucky in that they ran out of material but still had an idea of how everything was going to end in a season or two anyway.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose posted:

what is wrong with you
not gonna lie, i loved that episode as a dumb teenager

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Jose posted:

what is wrong with you

I chuckled when it's revealed to be on PBS if that's the joke I dunno.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

same, except I tell everyone

how the times have changed

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

evilmiera posted:

I mean if we're looking for a lowest point I don't think we should be looking at it like an arc or valley or whatever, most shows just hit a very terrible set of seasons and decide to end it before they piss away all goodwill. Aside from GoT who just got lucky in that they ran out of material but still had an idea of how everything was going to end in a season or two anyway.

the lowest point is right now. both in terms of average ratings and in terms of the fact that they are still making the show and p much every new episode that comes out is by definition the new low point

if you are looking for the point where things went wrong, I agree with the common thesis that it's that infamous Skinner episode, that's when they started loving with characters in a way that kind of broke what makes the show work

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't hate the Skinner episode because it still has some funny jokes and it's pretty aware of how absurd the entire concept is.

Like, looking at it as a point where things start going downhill is fine but I think the episode itself is still okay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's more that years ago people would act like the show immediately became poo poo after that episode. it was a gradual decline where each subsequent season had fewer and fewer good episodes. i think i stopped watching every week around 14 or 15.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's more that years ago people would act like the show immediately became poo poo after that episode. it was a gradual decline where each subsequent season had fewer and fewer good episodes. i think i stopped watching every week around 14 or 15.

Yea, seasons 10-12 have plenty of great episodes, but the decline became noticeable at that point.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

VJeff posted:

I don't hate the Skinner episode because it still has some funny jokes and it's pretty aware of how absurd the entire concept is.

Like, looking at it as a point where things start going downhill is fine but I think the episode itself is still okay.

yeah the episode itself is not bad, but thats the start of when they decided they could completely erase what they'd previously established as characters, which is how they ended up with poo poo like Homer becoming an rear end in a top hat who grew up in the 90's, doesn't give a poo poo about his family etc

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

khwarezm posted:

There was a very touching redemption for Marge in the episode you mentioned where she sees people taking advantage of Lisa's niceness, does a screaming u-turn and gives her a heart to heart where she tells her it's okay to be sad and that when she'll do the smiling for both of them when it happens. It was really very sweet

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

There was a very touching redemption for Marge in the episode you mentioned where she sees people taking advantage of Lisa's niceness, does a screaming u-turn and gives her a heart to heart where she tells her it's okay to be sad and that when she'll do the smiling for both of them when it happens. It was really very sweet

That's true, but it still felt unique and incisive for the time, the whole idea of loudly shouting 'gently caress society's expectations! gently caress being happy!' wasn't usually seen in contemporary family values shows.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

The sweet part was how that talk made Lisa smile sincerely.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

***CONTROVERSIAL OPINION***
I actually like the Homer invented grunge episode, it has a lot of good jokes and idgaf about continuity
and the parody of Glycerine is great

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It's been said in this thread or one of the previous ones, an episode like Last Exit to Springfield [the plant protest / DENTAL PLAN episode] would never, ever happen again

modern simpsons would make a big joke out of it, homer stupid, lisa whiny, guest star <current cultural icon> as the scab who takes Homer's job

e. and the scab is literally that celebrity, not just the voice. their reasoning for applying to the plant is <humorous reference to their career>

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

***CONTROVERSIAL OPINION***
I actually like the Homer invented grunge episode, it has a lot of good jokes and idgaf about continuity
and the parody of Glycerine is great

it's bad sorry.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Code Jockey posted:

e. and the scab is literally that celebrity, not just the voice. their reasoning for applying to the plant is <humorous reference to their career>

They apply because Burns needs them for the plant hockey team. This will not at all be another rehash of old episodes, like going back to Camp Krusty. Coincidentally, the episode will be titled Homer on the Ice

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VJeff posted:

you can't just condense the decline of season 9 into one episode, there were other examples

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
There's some great episodes in season 9 and some major stinkers. It really is the indicator of how the direction. On one hand you have he episodes where Lisa thinks she's getting dumber, the movementarians, where homer climbs the mountains but then there's the ones with the trillion dollar bill, Moes girlfriend, the funzo Christmas one with sucked, Halloween one sucked etc

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm watching some random season 12 episodes because I hate myself and they're bad. bad bad bad... A lot of them suffer from the tertiary characters just hanging out with The Simpsons for good drat reason at all. The whole town is hanging out at a free YMCA weekend-thing, Homer breaks his leg, and then the whole town is having fun outside of his window. It's really weird.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 20, 2017

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I just remembered that stupid episode where Bart has to go back to 3rd grade and Lisa gets skipped ahead to 3rd grade, and they wind up on a field trip to the governor's office and bart changed the design for their state flag to be about farting and the governor started wailing out loud, but I geuss they didn't record enough of Tress MacNeille doing the scream beacuse they repeated the same scream clip quite noticeably a few times in a row and it was super obvious and hokey.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

They only paid her to scream it once, then doubled it on the soundtrack. Cheap bastards.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

There's some great episodes in season 9 and some major stinkers. It really is the indicator of how the direction. On one hand you have he episodes where Lisa thinks she's getting dumber, the movementarians, where homer climbs the mountains but then there's the ones with the trillion dollar bill, Moes girlfriend, the funzo Christmas one with sucked, Halloween one sucked etc

Personally I think 'Simpson Tide' was the first episode I thought was straight up bad. I think its worse than Principle and the Pauper because, unlike that episode, its just really loving boring and is falling into lazy tropes that really damaged the show as it went on like 'Homer gets a wacky new job for one episode!' or 'one of the other family members has a dull and unfunny B-plot based around a fad' and 'A ton of recognizable supporting characters like Barney and Moe are in this unlikely situation even though it makes no sense and is badly justified since we can't really be bothered to come up with funny one-shot characters like we used to'. At least the Moe's girlfriend episode gave Moe something to do and developed his character a bit, as well as his relationship with Homer, Simpson Tide just feels vapid and pointless and the jokes weren't even that good (except the one where the Soviet Union comes back from the dead) and started to feel more zany and wacky in a really forced way.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just watched Season 12, Episode 17: Simpsons Safari

Yeesh. loving yeesh. This is the one where they go to Africa. Holy hell it's rancid.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Last Chance posted:

I just watched Season 12, Episode 17: Simpsons Safari

Yeesh. loving yeesh. This is the one where they go to Africa. Holy hell it's rancid.

Even that one has one of my favorite Homer line deliveries ever, when they get trapped in the giant man eating flower and Homer just pushes it open and Lisa asks him how he did it, and he just replies "It's a flower" in the most condescending way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think the last new Simpsons episode I watched was from whatever season happened in 2010. I think it involved a bunch of Marge's old friends never seen before or since that episode and a sandwich.

It was really bad.