Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

Aww, Mikey thinks he knows stuff, that's adorable.

Seriously, though, Jared is the safest person in Trump's inner circle right now. There's only one thing Trump cares about besides himself, and that's his family.

Like, say, his MS stricken nephew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/897532820670775296

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Like, say, his MS stricken nephew?

He likes his family as a reflection of himself.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Haha love the cop's impotent comment to the protesters at the end. "You want another day like Saturday don't you." Motherfucker they're not the ones who showed up with 2 guns.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

what the over-under Donnie doesn't even know what's happening on monday?

Or that he goes blind staring at the drat thing like an idiot. I mean, they'll try to warn him, but will he listen?

Edit: lol

Captain Morose fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 21, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Uglycat posted:

Pence has the opportunity to approach the tortilla caucus, the tuesday group, every GOP house and senate member that /isn't/ deeply aligned with the leadership, AND all of the dems. He can arrange to pull article 25, appoint a neutral party that satisfies enough people in the house and senate as his veep, and resign. That appointed neutral party can then manage the presidency while the House decides upon a process to appoint a new Speaker of the House, with the understanding that when the neutral party president is satisfied, he will resign and the new speaker will ascend. Getting the stink of scandal and the misdemeanor of nazi sympathy as far from the Office of the President as possible. Sets pence up to be a hero, with very little work from him (much more fun than 6 years as POTUS). Throws the GOP leadership under the bus, but puts country over party (and the best opportunity for the GOP to survive /as/ a party, or - if not - for the congressmen that turn to hope for a career after this shakes out).

edit: I mean, Pence is quickly coming upon a Ford moment. Ford pardoned nixon, and lost the next election. A lot has been said about his decision to pardon. Pence can be much more sophisticated in efforts to heal the nation. He can do better than Ford. Really, his legacy depends upon it.

The 25th Amendment temporarily transfers power from the President to the Vice President. In order to get the authority back, the President sends a letter to Congress saying he is once capable to be President. The Cabinet can send another letter to Congress disputing the President's letter, Congress then votes and requires a 2/3 majority to rule the President is still unfit for Office. The President can then send a new letter as he wishes and the process repeats.

The only way to remove the President from office permanently is through Impeachment, his resignation, losing in 2020, or being term limited out in 2024. Until that time, even with a successful use of the 25th Amendment by the VP, Trump will remain President and Pence would remain as VP.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 20, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Watch this one to the end. That loving cop...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I have a particular hatred and spite for Cernovich, but I hope he's right. :v:

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The funny thing about confederate memorial is....there are so many of them. But there are barely any - if any - memorials for the Union. Not any union generals have statues in my state - there's probably very few of them. Lincoln may have a memorial in DC and a couple of other places. But people going on about history are ignoring that and I don't know why nobody brings that up as a talking point. But I will say this...

America has a very odd civil war in many ways in that it revolved around part of our country seeking independence and formation of a new state. These kind of civil wars aren't strange ocurrances but during the time period the American Civil War occured there were many other civil wars across the young democracies of the America's. Mostly they involved battles between two different factions of a relatively young growing Democracy: usually a Liberal Party and a Conservative party. The winning faction ultimately was the one that decided the rules of the country and how the constitution was written. This happened in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Mexico any many other nations of the America's all during the 1800s.

America's Civil War ended in 4 years - shorter than most civil wars. But after the war - with the assassination of Lincoln it seems to me that the civil conflict never really ended; it went underground - and was waged using propaganda and revisionism as well as organized guerrila violence against the perceived victors of the war. Blacks and Northerners. And that is a war that had never ended but has continued to be waged by groups for decades.

I think that speaking this unspoken truth is a big part of actually putting a end to this conflict.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

That cop at the end. " you wanna another day like saturday?"

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Because if people were just nice to the loving racist scum they wouldn't be FORCED to run us over in cars, right?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

DaveWoo posted:

Seriously, though, Jared is the safest person in Trump's inner circle right now. There's only one thing Trump cares about besides himself, and that's his family.

I dunno, I like the idea of Trump firing Jared and then demanding that Ivanka divorce him.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Captain Morose posted:

Or that he goes blind staring at the drat thing like an idiot. I mean, they'll try to warn him, but will he listen?

Also what's the over-under regressive fundies(yes i know, redundant) are saying this is Jeeazus's blessing even though science can predict these event centuries in advance.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Mike Cernovich having a line to the whitehouse would be like the 576th least surprising thing of the last six months.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's such a bizarre statement from that officer

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

JailTrump posted:

The funny thing about confederate memorial is....there are so many of them. But there are barely any - if any - memorials for the Union. Not any union generals have statues in my state - there's probably very few of them. Lincoln may have a memorial in DC and a couple of other places. But people going on about history are ignoring that and I don't know why nobody brings that up as a talking point. But I will say this...

America has a very odd civil war in many ways in that it revolved around part of our country seeking independence and formation of a new state. These kind of civil wars aren't strange ocurrances but during the time period the American Civil War occured there were many other civil wars across the young democracies of the America's. Mostly they involved battles between two different factions of a relatively young growing Democracy: usually a Liberal Party and a Conservative party. The winning faction ultimately was the one that decided the rules of the country and how the constitution was written. This happened in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Mexico any many other nations of the America's all during the 1800s.

America's Civil War ended in 4 years - shorter than most civil wars. But after the war - with the assassination of Lincoln it seems to me that the civil conflict never really ended; it went underground - and was waged using propaganda and revisionism as well as organized guerrila violence against the perceived victors of the war. Blacks and Northerners. And that is a war that had never ended but has continued to be waged by groups for decades.

I think that speaking this unspoken truth is a big part of actually putting a end to this conflict.

Parts of this thesis are covered at length in the fascinating book: Confederates in the Attic, by Tony Horowitz (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederates_in_the_Attic).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Covok posted:

Hey, all I'm saying is New York and the Yankees are better than Boston and the Redsoxs. I mean, why hate a man for speaking the truth?

Troll the gently caress out of them, especially at thanksgiving.

Red Sox 3 title in this century and currently in first place. Yankees 0 titles and currently in 2nd place.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hollismason posted:

I work closely with police officers. That statement is totally predictable.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Has there been any form of polling on a breakdown of attitudes towards Antifa and how they relate to the importance of economic reform, or is that just more broke brain behavior from the people in the both sides are just as bad thread?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

Look, the true tragedy of Saturday was how mean the anti-nazis were to the Nazis, which is why everything is their fault. If only they hadn't provoked the Nazis by existing everything would have been fine.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

JailTrump posted:

We have a winner folks. Time to pack it up and go home.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fulchrum posted:

Has there been any form of polling on a breakdown of attitudes towards Antifa and how they relate to the importance of economic reform, or is that just more broke brain behavior from the people in the both sides are just as bad thread?

The right needs organizations upon which they can condemn and delegitimize dissenters.

My parents mentioned Muslim Brotherhood to me like 8 months ago and I did a loving Scooby Doo jowl-wobbling double-take so hard I almost fell out of my chair. Who the gently caress even talks about Muslim Brotherhood other than Hannity?

Now they have Antifa upon whom to blame all their dissent--without even the slightest self-awareness that they are accepting their own fascism.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Force every confederate loving nazi into a corner. Beat them down, kick them out of their jobs, drive them insane. If cops hate it then it must be the right thing to do.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Gyges posted:

The only way to remove the President from office permanently is through Impeachment, his resignation, losing in 2020, or being term limited out in 2024. Until that time, even with a successful use of the 25th Amendment by the VP, Trump will remain President and Pence would remain as VP.

Thank you for mentioning that, because even though I had read the text of the 25th Amendment, I had never even noticed/thought about that detail, that the Vice-President doesn't become President, he just becomes the Acting President.

Which means that another Vice-President is never appointed? From the text, it looks like that is the case.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Hollismason posted:

Its only bizarre if you forget cops tend to have a highly conservative, white dude culture

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

keep beating up nazis

https://twitter.com/AnneFrankCenter/status/898998625367465984

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

It's like the lovely American version of the Buckingham guard.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

maybe the cop was referring to that saturday where he attended a pizza party

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

glowing-fish posted:

Thank you for mentioning that, because even though I had read the text of the 25th Amendment, I had never even noticed/thought about that detail, that the Vice-President doesn't become President, he just becomes the Acting President.

Which means that another Vice-President is never appointed? From the text, it looks like that is the case.

Nobody goddamn knows because nobody writing that poo poo ever thought we'd be this insane. Ultimately the remedy for Trump was that The People were never supposed to fall for such a transparent charlatan in the first place, because there's only so far you can go in protecting your democracy before it becomes vulnerable to all kinds of other bullshit. If enough of the population is crazy enough to look at Trump's Primary and then Presidential campaign and then say "Yes, I either actively want or can tolerate this man in the White House" that he wins, well, I'm not convinced any Constitution can provide an effective remedy.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm glad everyone knows how absolutely top notch the Gettysburg drive through/cd is. It hits you real loving hard. I did it about two years ago and I still remember the way it all made me feel. It's pure history. There's no bullshitting and the theatrics of it are just the right level of "exciting" needed for emotional impact.

Also on that trip we went to Monticello, also amazing and very well handled. They never ever let you forget about the reality of the slavery while discussing how genuinely fascinating and important Jefferson was. The balance is something you don't see often.

God drat I love history. I need to read more.

I've seen on Youtube they do unit walks now. They pick a unit, have their reenactors dress up as that unit and lead people through their unit's positions and movements on the field.
They also had some commemoration a few years back where reenactors of the union artillery unit that was first on the field set up all their guns in the same spot and opened up a barrage....including firing one cannon that had actually been there and used by the actual unit during the battle

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Uglycat posted:

Pence has the opportunity to approach the tortilla caucus, the tuesday group, every GOP house and senate member that /isn't/ deeply aligned with the leadership, AND all of the dems. He can arrange to pull article 25, appoint a neutral party that satisfies enough people in the house and senate as his veep, and resign. That appointed neutral party can then manage the presidency while the House decides upon a process to appoint a new Speaker of the House, with the understanding that when the neutral party president is satisfied, he will resign and the new speaker will ascend. Getting the stink of scandal and the misdemeanor of nazi sympathy as far from the Office of the President as possible. Sets pence up to be a hero, with very little work from him (much more fun than 6 years as POTUS). Throws the GOP leadership under the bus, but puts country over party (and the best opportunity for the GOP to survive /as/ a party, or - if not - for the congressmen that turn to hope for a career after this shakes out).

edit: I mean, Pence is quickly coming upon a Ford moment. Ford pardoned nixon, and lost the next election. A lot has been said about his decision to pardon. Pence can be much more sophisticated in efforts to heal the nation. He can do better than Ford. Really, his legacy depends upon it.

This would be great if we lived Plato's republic, but that poo poo will never happen

They'll just have Pence takeover, pretend nothing happened, and hope they can supress they're way through 2018

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

glowing-fish posted:

The 25th Amendment is specifically set up to codify how succession works following the removal of the President from office for whatever reason. It also lays out how the powers of the Presidency can be temporarily exercised by someone other than the President due to temporary incapacitation.

The text of Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 is vague enough that several times in our history we have run into issues. Specifically with regard to who gets to decide when the President is incapacitated, whether the VP becomes the actual President or just Acting President, and how the position of VP is filled if vacated.

The temporary incapacitation portion is specifically set up to be temporary so that there is a mechanism for someone to officially take control if the President is incapacitated but not dead, impeached or having resigned. It's, more or less, a Wilson rule and is written so that VPs and the cabinet can't have a soft coup but if the President, for example, has a stroke someone is in charge. Since the VP is Acting President, there is no empty position of either President nor Vice President and as such there is no vacancy to fill.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

EnergizerFellow posted:

We have a winner folks. Time to pack it up and go home.

Read "Race and Reunion" by David Blight. At the end of the war both sides had to figure out a way to getv along together and so most folks just chose to willfully forget what the war had been about in the name of getting along. Thus spring things like the Lost Cause ideology which haunts us to this day.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mister Adequate posted:

Ultimately the remedy for Trump was that The People were never supposed to fall for such a transparent charlatan in the first place, because there's only so far you can go in protecting your democracy before it becomes vulnerable to all kinds of other bullshit. If enough of the population is crazy enough to look at Trump's Primary and then Presidential campaign and then say "Yes, I either actively want or can tolerate this man in the White House" that he wins, well, I'm not convinced any Constitution can provide an effective remedy.

There aren't very many good options for dealing with a Trump presidency cleanly. He can resign or ride out his term, but anything else is going to lead to some weird places. Even a successful impeachment and conviction would be unprecedented. We hosed up just by getting this far.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

CNN's main page is awesome right now. Giant "Counterprotest dwarfs free-speech rally" with a photo of like 5,000 people surrounding a tiny band stand.

I wish they'd stop calling them "free-speech rallies". We all know the only reason the Nazis want to call it that is so they can be fuckers in public. If they had majority power you know they'd clamp down on free speech as fast as they could

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mister Adequate posted:

Nobody goddamn knows because nobody writing that poo poo ever thought we'd be this insane. Ultimately the remedy for Trump was that The People were never supposed to fall for such a transparent charlatan in the first place, because there's only so far you can go in protecting your democracy before it becomes vulnerable to all kinds of other bullshit. If enough of the population is crazy enough to look at Trump's Primary and then Presidential campaign and then say "Yes, I either actively want or can tolerate this man in the White House" that he wins, well, I'm not convinced any Constitution can provide an effective remedy.

The existing Constitutional remedy for Trump becoming President is Impeachment. The other existing remedy, the Electoral College, has never worked for anything but since it's only come up 5 times total we haven't gotten around to axing it.

Also the 25th Amendment is from the 1960s. We'd already had incompetent assholes and corrupt assholes as President, maybe not to the degree of Trump, but certainly the idea of a Trump was conceivable.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why aren't we taking these confederates seriously?

It was 95 degrees here today with 90% humidity.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 20, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paradoxish posted:

There aren't very many good options for dealing with a Trump presidency cleanly. He can resign or ride out his term, but anything else is going to lead to some weird places. Even a successful impeachment and conviction would be unprecedented. We hosed up just by getting this far.

Considering Trump is in actual violation of probably all three listed reasons for impeachment, the success wouldn't be too out there. In the list of Johnson, Clinton, Nixon, and Trump, Donny certainly wouldn't be the one that future historians look at while Sesame Street's song plays in their heads.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LeeMajors posted:

The right needs organizations upon which they can condemn and delegitimize dissenters.

My parents mentioned Muslim Brotherhood to me like 8 months ago and I did a loving Scooby Doo jowl-wobbling double-take so hard I almost fell out of my chair. Who the gently caress even talks about Muslim Brotherhood other than Hannity?

Now they have Antifa upon whom to blame all their dissent--without even the slightest self-awareness that they are accepting their own fascism.

I meant people in this thread saying Liberals hate Antifa and just can't wait to sell them out to Republicans, because they're evil meanie liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

gently caress the Yankees, gently caress the Sox, and gently caress the Blue Jays. Go Tigers.

Obvious troll. Even Detroit doesn't like the Tigers

• Locked thread