Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

whypick1 posted:

Oh you, thinking you'll only make one character... :allears:

Craghead isn't really all that great though and the upgraded version is only slightly better.

Anyway, yeah you were right without me saying it - Craghead.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

I found some boots that I think might be worth something, but I'm also really bad at pricing poo poo, anyone have any idea what I should list this at?

I see boots with ~85 life, ~90 resists and ~50 mana for 1-2c (http://poe.trade/search/tahoitanatatan). EDIT: Missed the movement speed somehow, that does increase the price but the bad base probably means you'll miss many people's searches.

So, I've been progressing through maps and seem to have hit a bit of a wall around T7. I just don't seem to get drops of higher maps or even of the same tier, even when running rare maps at that level. I've filled out my Atlas up to T6 and have most of the T7s (and a few T8s). I've tried using chisels, adding sacrifice fragments etc. but it hasn't helped so far.

It's somewhat frustrating because I can do T7s easily and want to move up but I'm not sure how best to do so. Am I best to buy the maps I want, spend more currency on the ones I have or am I just plain missing something?

door.jar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 20, 2017

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
add the movement speed to that and its up to 20c

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i would never pay more than like 2 c for boots withouth 30% movespeed unless it's like a unique with crazy poo poo on it. I think the chances of those selling with such a low movespeed roll are pretty bad.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Dely Apple posted:

I try to offer my Uber lab solved puzzles in 820 General but no one wants them, I'm a leper. Unclean. I also have no idea what 7 Vorici parties mean, Dailies chaining or something?

It's a party that all has Vorici at level 7 and is sharing daily quests. Some party leaders will have you link them a hideout decoration that only unlocks at level 7 to confirm that you're actually at level 7 and not just leeching off the group.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Social Media posted:

It's a party that all has Vorici at level 7 and is sharing daily quests. Some party leaders will have you link them a hideout decoration that only unlocks at level 7 to confirm that you're actually at level 7 and not just leeching off the group.

I don't think that works anymore with the new hideout decoration system since you can buy decorations in standard.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Is there any benefit to a skill having more than 100% chance to bleed enemies? If I have Crimson Dance on, will it stack the bleeds faster?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
No

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

This guy is having a hell of a time spawning poo poo for me.

he's stuck in that lil corner of the map and can't escape

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The RNG is such an rear end in a top hat.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
I have one of those and one that has an extra Cannot Be Knocked Back.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Dootman posted:

I have one of those and one that has an extra Cannot Be Knocked Back.

You actually get knocked forward then.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

whypick1 posted:

Oh you, thinking you'll only make one character... :allears:

That's a matter of sheer preference. Me, seeing all the poo poo that gets thrown at you, wonder 1 How a melee even deals with half of it and deals damage. 2. makes me not want to deal with any of it more than once ever. It's not worth the time or pain investment. I was similar with Diablo 2. Only one character has reached high levels, the rest I can't deal with or focus on.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bloodly posted:

That's a matter of sheer preference. Me, seeing all the poo poo that gets thrown at you, wonder 1 How a melee even deals with half of it and deals damage. 2. makes me not want to deal with any of it more than once ever. It's not worth the time or pain investment. I was similar with Diablo 2. Only one character has reached high levels, the rest I can't deal with or focus on.

Quoting for posterity.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Locking the last level of the labyrinth behind rng is loving annoying. 124 maps, still at 5/6 of the trials found.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

awesmoe posted:

Locking the last level of the labyrinth behind rng is loving annoying. 124 maps, still at 5/6 of the trials found.

buy dream trial prophecies

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jazerus posted:

buy dream trial prophecies
Thanks, I had no idea that was a thing!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Alternately, hang out in /global 820.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dahbadu posted:

Exactly -- basically Roots are my big gently caress you to Temporal Chains maps. Yeah, I'll probably go budget. The Disfavor and Pelt aren't build enabling, so I really don't need them.

Edit: Thanks for your advice, BTW. Does anyone know the definitive answer to Less Duration Support affecting bleeds generated that aren't an effect from a skill gem?

theres a gem specially made for that called rapid decay, less duration doesn't affect bleed caused by something.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

Quoting for posterity.

I'm an old rear end perhaps, but I don't see the fun, only the pain and eternal deaths. If I'm still taking deaths even now as a summoner rear end in a top hat who actively has to/thrives on running around like a headless chicken to dodge whatever grade of gently caress you being thrown out and has the relative leisure to do so and thus deal with mechanics by actual observation, while the horde tries to do the actual damage, and has the relative space in the tree to take lots of life and or resist because they complete relatively early around 50, how does a build that has to worry about stacking it's own damage from the tree, that has to worry about raising his direct damage, that actually has to eat half of bullshit because they don't have a choice if they want to get the damage in, do ANYTHING?

I look at something like Izaro or the Shaper or the Gods I'm fighting and frankly I'm fearful and intimidated. They were not easy, they were not a piece of piss, and once was frankly enough, despite the fact I'll need to eventually kill Izaro two more times, with probably worse resistance than now. I can't put in that effort again.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bloodly posted:

I'm an old rear end perhaps, but I don't see the fun, only the pain and eternal deaths. If I'm still taking deaths even now as a summoner rear end in a top hat who actively has to/thrives on running around like a headless chicken to dodge whatever grade of gently caress you being thrown out and has the relative leisure to do so and thus deal with mechanics by actual observation, while the horde tries to do the actual damage, and has the relative space in the tree to take lots of life and or resist because they complete relatively early around 50, how does a build that has to worry about stacking it's own damage from the tree, that has to worry about raising his direct damage, that actually has to eat half of bullshit because they don't have a choice if they want to get the damage in, do ANYTHING?

I look at something like Izaro or the Shaper or the Gods I'm fighting and frankly I'm fearful and intimidated. They were not easy, they were not a piece of piss, and once was frankly enough, despite the fact I'll need to eventually kill Izaro two more times, with probably worse resistance than now. I can't put in that effort again.

If you save the good rares and uniques you collect during the game, you only have to walk the walk of pain once per league

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

vOv posted:

Alternately, hang out in /global 820.

Just do this.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

If you save the good rares and uniques you collect during the game, you only have to walk the walk of pain once per league

I'm horrifically lucky that two uniques of value to my situation dropped. Leer Cast and it's damage aura, and Ambron's Charge(Yay, actual resists). My stuff has no value, and I have no actual currency-not in any value everyone keeps spouting. Trading is effectively barred due to sheer lack. Which was why I chose to be an summoner in the first place about 2 years ago-I knew I couldn't do anything of worth or value. Still can't.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Bloodlyshiva I think this is how you show yourself?

I've died 41 times.

I'm trash, I'll remain trash, and there's not really much hope. At all. I feel no accomplishment from what little I've done. The game says I'm a legend. I dun't even know how I ever killed The Beast. I remember many deaths.

I can't do it again. I can't.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 20, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is a question, what does a good rare wand look like for barrage and kinetic blast? sorta want to give a wander a try.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bloodly posted:

I've died 41 times.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a question, what does a good rare wand look like for barrage and kinetic blast? sorta want to give a wander a try.

Or you can pay a few exalts for a rare wand with t1 lightning, crit, attack speed, and ele damage added to attacks

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The deaths means something(And thank you for it-the impression I've been getting is basically, 'you suck if you ever have trouble or die to anything ever'), the flasks do not beyond what looks like what might be one of the high-end life flasks, maybe?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
He's showing off his two drop-restricted end-game flasks.

If I had to guess the rest: Seething Divine Life Flask of Staunching (heal me now and remove bleeding, aka the "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" flask), Experimenter's Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline (go really really really fast for a long time) and an Experimenter's Diamond Flask of...hmm, not sure what suffix here...Iron Skin/Reflexes or Warding are my guesses (make me more likely to crit and bump my defenses/remove curses while you're at it).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 20, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Im just showing that you can get to an endgame capable build with some pretty valuable items even if you die a hundred times before because you're bad. I'm not great at this game and made a ton of mistakes, but if you keep playing you'll eventually get there, it's actually really hard to hit a complete brick wall.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Im just showing that you can get to an endgame capable build with some pretty valuable items even if you die a hundred times before because you're bad. I'm not great at this game and made a ton of mistakes, but if you keep playing you'll eventually get there, it's actually really hard to hit a complete brick wall.

I find that the biggest ender of characters is boredom and getting tired of holding the same button for hundreds of maps.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

dis astranagant posted:

I find that the biggest ender of characters is boredom and getting tired of holding the same button for hundreds of maps.

this killed 3 of mine already, though 2 were more involved than holding a button

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My RT Sunder Slayer (named CiaphasSpinAndWin because I thought I'd be Cycloning :v:) is trucking along really well. He can completely murder anything T12 and below, T13 and T14 with some care, and T15 and T16 with lots of map mod curation.

I generally know what needs to be upgraded--more life, higher pDPS weapon, qual up my flasks and gems, get hold of six links--but I'm not sure what's going to get me the most bang for my buck first. I've only got about probably 75c left to work with right now. I'd like to make an attempt on Shaper sometime tomorrow--er, today agh gently caress where does the time go. Any suggestions?

Getting the Bloodless notable with my next level but from there I'm not sure if I should invest in more life and armour via Marauder start, grab that jewel slot below Duelist start, grab those axe nodes in Duelist, or what. I'm leaning toward life right now but we'll see after item upgrades--sitting at 4.7k right now.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bloodly posted:

I'm horrifically lucky that two uniques of value to my situation dropped. Leer Cast and it's damage aura, and Ambron's Charge(Yay, actual resists). My stuff has no value, and I have no actual currency-not in any value everyone keeps spouting. Trading is effectively barred due to sheer lack. Which was why I chose to be an summoner in the first place about 2 years ago-I knew I couldn't do anything of worth or value. Still can't.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Bloodlyshiva I think this is how you show yourself?

I've died 41 times.

I'm trash, I'll remain trash, and there's not really much hope. At all. I feel no accomplishment from what little I've done. The game says I'm a legend. I dun't even know how I ever killed The Beast. I remember many deaths.

why didn't you equip better gear? you can't tell me those are the best boots and gloves that dropped while playing through the whole game

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

this killed 3 of mine already, though 2 were more involved than holding a button

I can say I'm not holding a button. I still cast plenty each engagement with Assassin's Mark, Arc and rarely a Fireball. It's something I need to think about. I 'should' use all my summons. In practice the skels only see the field when I need more bodies(Think Strongbox as well as bosses), and the Raging Spirits rarely get cast. When I need the bodies and damage most, I'm too busy running. Izaro proved that, as have the bosses of the Acts.

I need to think about rejiggering. I dunno. Maybe a Totem? But the debuffs on the Spell Totem gem seem pretty nasty and I dunno if I'd take Totem boosting skills. Not that I especially have the slots.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bloodly posted:

My stuff has no value, and I have no actual currency-not in any value everyone keeps spouting. Trading is effectively barred due to sheer lack.

No it's not. You would be surprised at what you can buy with an alch or three, and if you are that low on cash, just pick up every yellow, id it and then vendor it. You will accumulate currency. Don't use currency on items, use them to trade.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw I advise you to farm The Oasis, high enough level for the chaos recipe, low enough so your specters will own them, and enough xp for a coupla levels

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Ciaphas posted:

My RT Sunder Slayer (named CiaphasSpinAndWin because I thought I'd be Cycloning :v:) is trucking along really well. He can completely murder anything T12 and below, T13 and T14 with some care, and T15 and T16 with lots of map mod curation.

I generally know what needs to be upgraded--more life, higher pDPS weapon, qual up my flasks and gems, get hold of six links--but I'm not sure what's going to get me the most bang for my buck first. I've only got about probably 75c left to work with right now. I'd like to make an attempt on Shaper sometime tomorrow--er, today agh gently caress where does the time go. Any suggestions?

Getting the Bloodless notable with my next level but from there I'm not sure if I should invest in more life and armour via Marauder start, grab that jewel slot below Duelist start, grab those axe nodes in Duelist, or what. I'm leaning toward life right now but we'll see after item upgrades--sitting at 4.7k right now.

I would re-spec the three non-life nodes between Butchery and Barbarism (to the left of Marauder start) and complete the Juggernaut and Bloodless wheels with them. After that, as you said, grab the duelist axe node, Marauder life nodes (except the 1st node when looking from Marauder), the two Jewel sockets and the +1 frenzy node in no particular order. Try to get int somewhere on your gear so you can drop the +30 node.

You could drop Essence Worm and Arctic Armor for a steel/iron ring with a flat phys roll and life, or a Ming's Heart. I'm also skeptical of Iron Reflexes with only a few hybrid ar+ev pieces to convert.

You also have the option of putting your Warchief in a 4-link (drop FA) and buying a Kaom's Heart. You'd drop your CDWT and cast golem manually. edit: this will gently caress up your resists :v:

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 20, 2017

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Bloodly posted:

I can say I'm not holding a button. I still cast plenty each engagement with Assassin's Mark, Arc and rarely a Fireball. It's something I need to think about. I 'should' use all my summons. In practice the skels only see the field when I need more bodies(Think Strongbox as well as bosses), and the Raging Spirits rarely get cast. When I need the bodies and damage most, I'm too busy running. Izaro proved that, as have the bosses of the Acts.

I need to think about rejiggering. I dunno. Maybe a Totem? But the debuffs on the Spell Totem gem seem pretty nasty and I dunno if I'd take Totem boosting skills. Not that I especially have the slots.

Looking at your character, you've spread yourself waaaay thin across the multitude of skills you're using. None of them are strong enough because you're not supporting any of them with enough links and are instead using those sockets for more active skills. Summoners are a heck of a lot more busy than you'd initially think going into it, but ultimately you should be settling on two to three active skills unless you're doing something really strange/non-meta.

To start repairing this, I'd first say choose either skeletons or SRS, not both. They serve a similar purpose, and using both is pretty redundant and results in both of them being too weak to be useful. Whichever you do choose, try to get them into at least a four link item like your helmet or boots, and give them speed/damage supports. Choose whichever minion skill you like best for a potential 5/6L setup in whatever chest armor you ultimately settle on using, and leave the others in your 4L items. Basically, you want all your minions (except your golem unless you're focusing on golems) to have at least 3 good supports for them to be at all useful.

Arc is a great support skill, but you're missing a lot of its potential the way you currently have it setup. Try ditching the animated guardian altogether, as its pretty difficult to make effective. Instead, use those sockets to support Arc with Curse on Hit and throw Assassin's mark into there. You could also opt for Temporal Chains or Enfeeble or Warlord's Mark as more defensive options. You can use the fourth link to support Arc with spell echo/faster casting or innervate or culling strike, or even something like onslaught. One cast of arc will hit a pile of enemies, potentially shocking them, curse them with your curse of choice, and give you the benefit of whatever you use in the fourth socket. Or you can put your golem in there and they'll be able to curse stuff for you too. You'll find a lot of good options for the fourth socket, but getting arc setup as a curse on hit skill will do wonders for your experience, I believe.

Also, level your Empower in a weapon swap and get an actual useful support in its place for your spectres. Empower doesn't really shine until it's adding 2 levels or more, which can be achieved by leveling it to 2 and then getting lucky corrupting it to 3, or using it in an item that boosts the level of socketed gems - or leveling it to 3, but that takes a long rear end time, like into your 90s. Right now it's just taking up space and applying a mana multiplier for no gain. For spectres, you ideally want to choose support gems that complement whatever skill the spectres you roll with are using. You can use something like spell echo with GMP if they use spell projectiles, brutality with melee splash if you opt for spectres that punch things, or you can just go with generic minion supports if you tend to just grab whatever corpses are laying around and hope they're useful. If you do that last option, another minion skill will be your better 5/6L choice. Spectres can get stupidly strong with specialized supports, but the downside is you have to hunt down the right enemies and worry about their levels when you grab them from lower zones. SRS can also get very strong with 4 or 5 good supports, and skeletons are now quite competitive from what I've been seeing. Zombies can also be pretty effective (and have the advantage of being semi-permanent meatshields), but they kinda need the Violent Dead threshold jewel to truly shine.

You'll also very much want to find a place (probably your weapon or shield) for an offering skill. Flesh offering is the most common as it's the offensive skill; the effect on your minions is very dramatic when you pop corpses with it. Bone offering is straight up defensive and if you're a necro, makes you much less likely to die. Spirit offering is good, but requires more specific building than you're probably ready for. I've got 5200 hours logged in steam and across the dozen or so summoners I've played, I've never made use of it yet. All three also have the advantage of removing corpses so enemy necros can't raise them and bosses/totems can't detonate them under you.

My experience with summoners has usually been to summon the permanent minions as they're needed, use the temporary minions for clearing, and then an offering/convocation per need. Also, CWDT convocation is good if you're a "Behold my Army" type of summoner. Otherwise I tend to prefer it as a manual "oh poo poo things are hitting me" button.

Ultimately, the point of all those :words: is that you need to specialize to some degree, or you're eventually gonna have a bad time. Summoners do a lot more than most classes, but even they need to focus in on what they want to achieve or they'll just end up spread too thin and die a lot. As you play more and more you'll learn what you can skip from the kinds of suggestions I made here, but even if they're not purely optimal I think you'll find yourself having a better time if you follow some of them directly. Especially the Arc/Curse on Hit thing and beefing up one particular summon type.

edit: I just want to stress that getting 5/6L is absolutely NOT necessary for a summoner to be very effective. I leveled a SRS necro to 90 in Legacy League never getting past 4L on any items, and while it was slower than I'd have liked, it remained plenty effective the whole way. It's obviously a very useful goal to shoot for, but don't feel like you're failing if you can't get one right away.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 20, 2017

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Probably a dumbass question where the answer is 'it depends~', but gently caress it; what life and PoB dps am I looking at for Shaper to be at all viable? This is the first time I've stuck with a character and made it to maps with a slightly modified random Dual Strike build I found and it's fun but messing around in Path of Builder I can't see a way to get to more than around 230k dps and 5.2k life eventually without spending an (to me) absurd amount of currency, which seems like it's pretty low for the really tough bosses?

Slightly related question; how clunky is Blade Flurry at endgame if you've built for it? Looks satisfying but also like you'd have to stand still a lot for it to reach its full potential.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I've died 41 times.

everyone dies a lot on their first character, you die way less on all of the others

you do realize you can make currency quite directly from the beginning right? vendor identified stuff to get alteration shards, which become alteration orbs. 2 of these can be used to buy a jeweller's orb, and then 4 of those for an orb of fusing. an orb of fusing is worth 2 chaos, or "2c", right now. so uh basically in probably half an hour or so of play you can make more than enough to get almost any item you might want at your level. and an awful lot of uniques are only an alchemy orb, which you should have found a few of by now, but you could buy them if needed too.

basically like, stop beating yourself up for dying while learning the game and try to actually have fun?? it does not sound like you are having fun. which is partially because as zxqv8 said, you are spread so thin that none of your skills are any good. those suggestions are very good ones and you should follow them.

edit: looking your profile over i confess myself to be a bit confused. that wand is basically useless (spell damage doesn't apply to minions) and is also blue, while you are level 65. the odds of that actually being the best wand for you that you've ever found are so low as to be halfway impossible. you've got item rarity support (which is basically useless btw) on your zombies instead of minion damage. you've got minion & totem resist support on your spectres instead of minion damage. you have your (temporary!) skeletons leeching life for themselves instead of minion damage. your chaos golem gets a chance to ignite for...some reason?

basically you aren't really thinking clearly about what's actually going to help you out in terms of gems. ramming your face against the game is one way to go i guess but it's not a hopeless endeavor to get better than this. your passive tree is actually quite decent, very similar to my own summoner at that level, so it's all about your links and gear.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

AnEndcat posted:

Probably a dumbass question where the answer is 'it depends~', but gently caress it; what life and PoB dps am I looking at for Shaper to be at all viable? This is the first time I've stuck with a character and made it to maps with a slightly modified random Dual Strike build I found and it's fun but messing around in Path of Builder I can't see a way to get to more than around 230k dps and 5.2k life eventually without spending an (to me) absurd amount of currency, which seems like it's pretty low for the really tough bosses?

Slightly related question; how clunky is Blade Flurry at endgame if you've built for it? Looks satisfying but also like you'd have to stand still a lot for it to reach its full potential.

Well you see..... it depends.

The hurdle that is shaper is dependent less on PoB dps numbers and more on dealing enough damage, safely in a relatively short window, several times during each phase. From what I have seen from other people, a skill like dual strike wouldn't do too well against shaper, especially the phase where he summons adds.

Also Blade Flurry is a really cool and strong skill that is for my money, right up there with the other Good Melee Skills for end game viability.