Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sonic Mania is good poo poo but it makes me mad at video games. I think my key to enjoying it as a kid was that I didn't give a poo poo about keeping my rings or getting decent times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
two things ive discovered in farcry 4 that have vastly increased my enjoyment of this game: the recurve bow and riding elephants

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If there is a bow available in a video game then it honestly doesn't even matter if there are any other weapons, once I find one I'm going to use it forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

If there is a bow available in a video game then it honestly doesn't even matter if there are any other weapons, once I find one I'm going to use it forever.

I've always thought sticking one in Crysis 3 was pretty clever. It's a compound bow designed for a Nanosuit's strength, so it's firing arrows with a pull strength on par with the kinetic impact of a sniper rifle bullet. Completely silently.

My personal favourite arrows are the Airburst ones though, just because the game loves to have a bunch of CELL grunts bunch up for a quick sitrep or chat... :gibs:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I see you've never played battlefield 4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Manatee Cannon posted:

I see you've never played battlefield 4

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Elite Dangerous on a Euro sale, now I'm curious. I liked Elite 2 to give an idea of my age, I love and adore the original Wing Commander games when it comes to combat, I've dabbled in the (bad) trading meta of No Mans Sky, I like games to lean back and chill with and immerse myself into if they're not VR.

Go get it?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

MrLonghair posted:

Elite Dangerous on a Euro sale, now I'm curious. I liked Elite 2 to give an idea of my age, I love and adore the original Wing Commander games when it comes to combat, I've dabbled in the (bad) trading meta of No Mans Sky, I like games to lean back and chill with and immerse myself into if they're not VR.

Go get it?

I've heard good things, but all from the PC crowd, and I don't know how well it translates to console.

boz posted:

Has the PS4 always let you go from Digital -> Disc without reinstalling and updating again? I'm not sure if i'm thinking of Disc -> Digital or if I've never done this before.

I didn't think you could do either of those things.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Zipperelli. posted:

I've heard good things, but all from the PC crowd, and I don't know how well it translates to console.
Oh I forgoet that. On a normal PS4 and 30fps is okay if it's a steady 30fps, Bloodborne and DS3 both were steady enough for me.

Maybe I throw the cash on the Chromagun team instead, they're working on VR support..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
From what I saw of the Digital Foundry video, Elite will probably be fine for you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I like Elite Dangerous a lot but it's very much the kind of game where you have to find your own way in. There's very little pointed story direction so it's up to you to figure out what you want to do, like you could hunt bounties, or become a space trucker, or join a force and help fight in their battles and support them, or go off the grid and become an explorer outside of known space, or you could go mining, or you could be a pirate, there's a lot to do but you have to go find it for yourself. I play it on normal PS4 and the frame rate gets a little spotty sometimes, no idea how it performs yet on PS4 Pro. I paid full price for that deluxe edition and I really enjoyed it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I want to be more excited for that fishing game but it's got the completely wrong vibe. If you want to make a perfect fishing simulator you gotta be playing as a chubby, middle-aged dad with male-pattern baldness sitting in a tiny wooden boat with a six pack of Bud because by God that's what he likes to drink on a Saturday no matter how much his kids with their fancy mixed drinks tell him it tastes like piss.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Elite: Dangerous looks really cool but way too sim-y for me.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I want to say here that I vouch for Fortnite and Agents of Mayhem to be secretly two awesome games. Just come to them with a open mind and enjoy what you find.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Agents of Mayhem isn't exactly game of the year but I feel satisfied with paying $60 for it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know if I can believe that about Fortnite.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know if I can believe that about Fortnite.

You are going to see a lot of criticism for this game, and almost all of it is true. But even most people negative about the game admit that is a very fun game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Fortnite looks like a condensation of everything I don't enjoy in modern games.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I want to be more excited for that fishing game but it's got the completely wrong vibe. If you want to make a perfect fishing simulator you gotta be playing as a chubby, middle-aged dad with male-pattern baldness sitting in a tiny wooden boat with a six pack of Bud because by God that's what he likes to drink on a Saturday no matter how much his kids with their fancy mixed drinks tell him it tastes like piss.

This is exactly what I though, gimme a middle aged dude in jeans and a shirt, in full blown fishing gear, I.e. waders and a gear vest plus hat with flies or just a tracksuit. Since when do Anglers look like Formula 1 drivers minus the helmet?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Hopper posted:

This is exactly what I though, gimme a middle aged dude in jeans and a shirt, in full blown fishing gear, I.e. waders and a gear vest plus hat with flies or just a tracksuit. Since when do Anglers look like Formula 1 drivers minus the helmet?

Since semi/professional sport fishing became a thing.

But yes, 'just someone who knows a lake/bend somewhere' seems like a sorely overlooked set of player skins.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

mad at video games.

This is going on your tombstone

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Replaying Undertale on a PS4 controller was a whole nother ballgame (not really). I prefer the precision of a keyboard over a PS4's controller D-pad or analog.

Still, second time playing, still love it a whole lot, still one of my all-time favourites. I'm glad I waited almost two years to replay this gem because it gave me some serious time to meditate on how I feel about it and if I think whether or not it's a good video game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

This is going on your tombstone

I've got it tatted in old english on my stomach.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I jumped in whole hog with Elite. After playing it for an evening I ran over to best buy and picked up the Hotas 4 stick. Been in love with it ever since. But like others have said, you have to enjoy space trading and/or combat, since that's pretty much the bulk of things to do. Exploring can also be fun, finding and putting your name on a system noone else has been to is a cool feeling.

Now is a great time to get in, what with an alien invasion about to happen.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The perfect fishing game would be open world, you just have one huge rear end lake the size of GTA5s world and lots of trials around it, but also boat ports where you can dock out on any type of boat you want, also you can customize your dad or mom including beer belly and fake tan sliders. And you can pound bug lights on the lake as long as you hide them I. Your "tackle box" when fish and game go by.

I should develop this game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
UC4: Lost Legacy preload is available in some countries.

I was able to "pre-order" the game for free because I got the Deluxe version, not sure if that's the intended download flow for us digital-only peeps.

It's a 45GB download - that's Naughty Dog for you.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Now that I've put a big chunk of time into FF12 Zodiac Age, I'm reminded of how boring the game is from the last time I played it. It really just feels empty. Single player MMO is the perfect way to describe the game.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Still trying to play undertale. I'm now stuck on muffet and getting my poo poo absolutely wrecked by a couple rounds in. This is loving impossible on a lovely soft d-pad or analogue stick.
The only trick shortcut to this one assuming you didn't know in advance to save one particular healing item from the very start of the game is apparently to spend hours grinding away 10k gold by buying and reselling items to make 20g at a time, a max of like 350g per run. Or play 17 rounds of a lovely rythm minigame that is outrageously difficult, which I don't think I've got even close to getting half way through yet.

Does the game get better because I'm starting to find it pretty loving insufferable. The character you meet in the lab is annoying, a lot of the charm has long since fallen away, and outside of this & undyne I've got past most bosses without taking a scratch so it's feeling a bit random and lovely to me now.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

Still trying to play undertale. I'm now stuck on muffet and getting my poo poo absolutely wrecked by a couple rounds in. This is loving impossible on a lovely soft d-pad or analogue stick.
The only trick shortcut to this one assuming you didn't know in advance to save one particular healing item from the very start of the game is apparently to spend hours grinding away 10k gold by buying and reselling items to make 20g at a time, a max of like 350g per run. Or play 17 rounds of a lovely rythm minigame that is outrageously difficult, which I don't think I've got even close to getting half way through yet.

Does the game get better because I'm starting to find it pretty loving insufferable. The character you meet in the lab is annoying, a lot of the charm has long since fallen away, and outside of this & undyne I've got past most bosses without taking a scratch so it's feeling a bit random and lovely to me now.

Muffet is easily one of the hardest battles in the game. If you beat her then you can probably finish the whole game. It doesn't get harder than that.

It doesn't get "better", if you don't like it now or if the charm has worn off, then I don't see it winning you back. The character in the lab is widely considered to be one of the weaker characters. She does have an arc conclusion but she'll annoy you for a while. If you've gotten past most bosses without taking a scratch then you seem pretty good and past Muffet I think the rest of the game will be very doable. Muffet's different because her battles use that special 3-line parameter.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yo my dad is considering a XIM4 so he can play some PS4-exclusive games. I'm looking for some recommendations for him. He likes first/third-person action-adventure stuff so at the moment I have:

The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted stuff

Anything else? I considered Until Dawn but that probably won't work since it's very QTE-dependent and he sucks at them on PC, nevermind if he had to match a PS4 shape to a keyboard button as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Horizon?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would have enjoyed Undertale a whole lot more if the gameplay were anything else, if that makes sense to anyone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Muddafuckin BLOODBORNE

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't imagine anything more embarrassing than showing Bloodborne to your dad only for him to get much better at it than you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm imagining Undertale's pacifist sections as playing as Micolash now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Muddafuckin BLOODBORNE

Now THATS the stuff

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Flow or some say Flowey

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Grant us butterscotch pies, grant us butterscotch pies

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't think of a single PS4 exclusive that isn't better just played with a controller. Bloodborne with a M&K sounds horrid.

Is he so uncomfortable with a controller he couldn't play Until Dawn? You don't even control the camera and failing QTE's mostly just changes the minutia of the game iirc.

But yeah starting him out with TLOU and Uncharted seems like the best bet for a dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Killzone: Shadow Fall would probably be better with KB+M