Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nerdz posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a manga where a boy and a girl like each other but they're too proud to admit and want to be the one confessed to, so they get involved in crazy mind games.

Does it ring a bell to anyone?

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=121872

Viz just announced they're licensing it for Shonen Jump here, volumes will probably follow at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

nerdz posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a manga where a boy and a girl like each other but they're too proud to admit and want to be the one confessed to, so they get involved in crazy mind games.

Does it ring a bell to anyone?

It was on the last page

Mikl posted:

Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains

now with new idiots!

https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kaguya-wants-to-be-confessed-to-the-geniuses-war-of-love-and-brains-r17274

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Yinlock posted:

look at this, the wrongest opinion

konosuba kinda starts as this but it quickly becomes apparent that it's basically d&d seinfeld, aka assholes being assholes to each-other

Seinfeld isn't funny either, and it's still funnier than konosuba.

Only interesting thing konosuba did was the cabbages.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, my bad, thanks! The only thing I could remember about it were the "How cute..." panels.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Avulsion posted:

I was a Sword when I Reincarnated!

Yinlock posted:

unfortunately konosuba justified the entire genre so i can't write the whole thing off either :negative:

On the other hand loving Shield Hero is getting adapted so I guess it balances out.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Seinfeld isn't funny either, and it's still funnier than konosuba.

Only interesting thing konosuba did was the cabbages.

oh you're one of those people

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Believe, in Rokudou.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Kaguya-sama is real good but urrrrrrgh translation teams that come from chans can be so obnoxious.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

chumbler posted:

Believe, in Rokudou.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pierson posted:

Kaguya-sama is real good but urrrrrrgh translation teams that come from chans can be so obnoxious.

I like Kaguya-sama a lot, but sometimes when reading it it feels like it's trying too hard to retell the same joke too many times.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Kanos posted:

I like Kaguya-sama a lot, but sometimes when reading it it feels like it's trying too hard to retell the same joke too many times.

Yeah I get that. It's kind of starts losing the whole mindgames premise as it goes on too, and just runs with the goofy highschool awkwardness.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I will admit I've not read many romantic comedy series (this, a couple of others, maybe Love Hina like a decade ago); what's the archetypal example of a rom-com series never ending and just teasing endlessly?

Pavlov posted:

Yeah I get that. It's kind of starts losing the whole mindgames premise as it goes on too, and just runs with the goofy highschool awkwardness.
I've not dropped it for that exact reason really; the main pair definitely have changed since the series started. Even if the mind-games end we'll still have the narrator. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tenchi Muyo?
Nisekoi?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Ranma 1/2

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pierson posted:

I will admit I've not read many romantic comedy series (this, a couple of others, maybe Love Hina like a decade ago); what's the archetypal example of a rom-com series never ending and just teasing endlessly?

Tomo-Chan, Nisekoi, Hajime no Ippo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

RareAcumen posted:

Hajime no Ippo

this is an especially good example because you've got Ippo/Miyata as well as Ippo and his girlfriend

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Monster Musume

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i will keep reading kaguya as long as the narrator endlessly dunks on both leads

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So to add to the pile of "Cute girls doing _______" I present Quick Start!! A story of a group of girls playing Japanese Tabletop Roleplaying games.
It's basically a 4-koma style advertisement for games made by FarEast Amusement Research (F.E.A.R).

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've always wanted to see someone play some japanese TRPGs. There's supposedly some really weird ones but I could never find any good translations.

That comic looks really boring though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
This is pretty much the perfect intersection of a bunch of things I enjoy, sweet.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pavlov posted:

I've always wanted to see someone play some japanese TRPGs. There's supposedly some really weird ones but I could never find any good translations.

That comic looks really boring though.

The comic has it's moments and it's definitely worth a cursory read.
Any JTTRPG's you've been looking for in particular?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Uhhhh I know there were some in the japan-game tabletop thread, but I think that got archived.

E: Wait found it. Ryuutama and Meikyuu Kingdom where the interesting sounding ones. I guess Ryuutama got kickstarter translated though?

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 3, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ryuutama got translated, yes. It's very cute.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
The tabletop games forum has done writeups of a few over the years.

Bellfahle Magic Academy
Giant Allege
Log Horizon
Maid RPG
Meikyuu Kingdom
Ryuutama
Tenra Bansho Zero (JP edition)
Tenra Bansho Zero (EN edition)

Edit: VVV Right, and Golden Sky Stories!

Tsubasa2004 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 3, 2017

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
If you want cute, there's also Golden Sky Stories.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of the girls in that tabletop RPG comic looks like Mion from Higurashi.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Unfortunately a lot of japanese RPGs are stuck in the past with regard to gameplay (aesthetically they're all quite wonderful). Meikyuu Kingdom is a pretty egregious example where you basically roll dice and consult charts, but even Ryuutama is something of a chore to play even if it has some interesting ideas with how GMs operate.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well thats too bad. Though that is why the most important part of a tabletop game is having a group that can play fast and lose when the rules get tedious.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Avulsion posted:

I was a Sword when I Reincarnated!

How many chapters have been translated thus far? It's interesting.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 4, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Only six as far as I can find. There is a WN/LN the manga is based on, but I haven't checked it out. Apparently it's a lot slower at the start, with the sword's grinding apparently drawn out for a bit rather than kept short like it is in the manga.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Onean posted:

Only six as far as I can find. There is a WN/LN the manga is based on, but I haven't checked it out. Apparently it's a lot slower at the start, with the sword's grinding apparently drawn out for a bit.

I enjoy how it tries to make the MC cute and then goes off the rails with some guy's legs getting chopped off and blood spurting out of the stumps like crazy.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, that's one of a few things I like about it. I'm hoping it'll keep getting translated.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
IB: Instant Bullet

Various misanthropes, social outcasts, and losers get a magic power revolving around a single concept. A bit of teen angst and fighting as well as a lot of philosophizing about mortality and the nature of good and evil occur.

It's pretty short; 25 chapters. The author ended it then due to not wanting to get too ambitious and have it drag on too long for his first original work. He also made Kaguya wants to be confessed to, which I think showed up here before.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ib owns and it's awesome that the author went on to have a really good series afterwards

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Erg posted:

ib owns and it's awesome that the author went on to have a really good series afterwards

:agreed:

I kinda expected it to be more angsty and faux-philosophical but it actually managed to make me sad even if it's technically a happy ending. Poor Yume and Toiro. :gbsmith:

The afterword was an interesting view at the author's thoughts. I wonder if they'll ever want to make more.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 20, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Instant Bullet turned out to be good? I remember the first two chapters coming out and it seeming like it had potential but also could be more generic dreck.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsubasa2004 posted:

The tabletop games forum has done writeups of a few over the years.

Bellfahle Magic Academy
Giant Allege
Log Horizon
Maid RPG
Meikyuu Kingdom
Ryuutama
Tenra Bansho Zero (JP edition)
Tenra Bansho Zero (EN edition)

Edit: VVV Right, and Golden Sky Stories!

Whoa had no idea about Log Horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Golden Kamui

• Locked thread