Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Predicting how long a comic will last is never straightforward. People were saying Gotham Academy would die really fast because it wasn't a superhero book, but it was allowed to have pretty much a full and proper conclusion despite never being a big seller in the floppy department. I think DC kind of gets that the floppy market isn't the most reliable indicator of how a book is doing, at least not on its own. Trade sales, Digital sales, and even just having a robust social media presence also mean a lot. Remember the Omega Men incident? They were ready to cancel it before it got to do a full and proper conclusion, but social media rallying got them to change their mind and let Tom King finish the story he wanted to tell.

Even on Marvel's side, you see this happen a lot. Carol Danvers is basically supported by massive fan love and company interest because Captain Marvel has abysmally low sales in the floppy market for a character they have been pushing for years to get more attention.

I think the Young Animal line will be fine because of company interest if not sales. They aren't going to snatch it away because fans love it too. Fact is the Big Two are finally starting to get that floppy sales are not the end all be all of a comic's success. As far as Young Animal goes, both Shade and Cave Carson are taking a hiatus after their September issue and then return for the crossover they got planned in January. We'll see what happens after that for those books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh, yeah. Did you know Jason turns into Nick Fury in the Batwoman/Dec future, D_T? Check it.

This is only tangentially related, but man I would actually get into Jason Todd if he became an older dude that's really embarrassed by how much of an edgelord he used to be.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think we already knew this, but
https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley/status/887093011557085185
https://twitter.com/samhumphries/status/898609502584324097

Maybe he's kicking that bum off of JL, or there'll be a new comic in the main line. Both good options.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 19, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm thinking Humphries might be writing that Legion book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The solicit news drip continues!

quote:

BLACK LIGHTNING: COLD DEAD HANDS #1

Written by TONY ISABELLA
Art and cover by CLAYTON HENRY
Variant cover by KEN LASHLEY

All-new mini-series by original creator Tony Isabella teamed with superstar artist Clayton Henry! Black Lightning is back and things are not the same! In his home town of Cleveland, high school teacher Jefferson Pierce is a role model for his students. As Black Lightning, he’s fighting to keep them safe, even as his city’s streets are invaded by local gangs with deadly super-weapons. And wait until you see who their supplier is! Real-world issues in a super-hero world! Expect the unexpected!

On sale NOVEMBER 1 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T

and the Metal tie-in arc across JL, Flash and Hal Jordan will be called “Bats Out Of Hell” with interconnected covers.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/18/dc-comicsbats-of-of-hell-crossover-with-november-solicits/

e: Nice to see Liam Sharp pop up after Wonder Woman.
ee: "The Justice League have been separated by the dreaded Dark Knights and are forced into twisted Bat-Caves designed to kill them!" Ha!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 19, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

The solicit news drip continues!

and the Metal tie-in arc across JL, Flash and Hal Jordan will be called “Bats Out Of Hell” with interconnected covers.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/18/dc-comicsbats-of-of-hell-crossover-with-november-solicits/

e: Nice to see Liam Sharp pop up after Wonder Woman.
ee: "The Justice League have been separated by the dreaded Dark Knights and are forced into twisted Bat-Caves designed to kill them!" Ha!

Good to see DC continuing with the minis for characters that couldn't support a monthly. Those covers are gorgeous too.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

woof those covers

E: speaking of covers http://www.cbr.com/batman-who-laughs-dark-nights-metal-5-cover/

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 19, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I'll admit that I haven't liked a single one of the evil Batmen designs, though I guess Red Death isn't the worst thing in the world. It's like TV Savitar with taste.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 19, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Say, which one is the Evil SuperBats? When given the names I just assumed it was Dawnbreaker because, well, loving look at the name (I loving love it, I really do), but that's apparently Evil Green Lantern Batman?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

catlord posted:

Say, which one is the Evil SuperBats? When given the names I just assumed it was Dawnbreaker because, well, loving look at the name (I loving love it, I really do), but that's apparently Evil Green Lantern Batman?

I originally thought it was The Merciless (the knight with an axe), but they seem to be tied to Wonder Woman. I think it will be a plot hook that there's a Batman/Superman amalgam conspicuously absent: I suspect The Devastator (the one who looks like Doomsday) has something to do with that, or may even be the Dark Knights' approximation of Superman. Each one seems to be their world's Bruce Wayne equivalent, so maybe there just isn't room for a Last Son of Krypton in the Dark Multiverse

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Check the logos. http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/06/16/dc-hints-at-evil-versions-of-batman-for-dark-nights-metal-one-shots
Dawnbreaker is GL. There's no evil Soup-Bat we've seen so far.

edit: Oh hey. Speaking of Dawnbreaker. Here's a preview of his one-shot.
http://www.cbr.com/evil-batman-green-lantern-origin/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 19, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

]

I haven't been interested in Metal at all but gently caress if I'm not a sucker for pun titles.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If I wanted to buy one TPB (probably digitally) to "get" Constantine, which would be best?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

wdarkk posted:

If I wanted to buy one TPB (probably digitally) to "get" Constantine, which would be best?

Dangerous Habits. If you want to get into the Thatcher satire Original sins and keep on going from there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

bobkatt013 posted:

Dangerous Habits. If you want to get into the Thatcher satire Original sins and keep on going from there.

That looks pretty awesome and I'm definitely putting that on the list. Are there any good ones where he interacts with the wider DC universe?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wdarkk posted:

That looks pretty awesome and I'm definitely putting that on the list. Are there any good ones where he interacts with the wider DC universe?
Well there's the original Swamp Thing run where he appeared.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

wdarkk posted:

He is not a major part of it but books of magic. Also his first appearances in Swamp Thing and an issue of 52 swamp thing. He was in his own corner for most of his history, and once he joined the D.C. Universe in 52 his book sucked for a good while into the one by Ming Doyle. The fourth relaunch has also been subpar.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. "Constantine: The Hellblazer" from a couple of years ago and his two parter guest appearance in Charles Soule's Swamp Thing were great stuff.
Next best modern thing would be Justice League Dark, but I don't think that did anything all that interesting.

Here's where the Swamp Thing story starts
https://www.comixology.com/Swamp-Thing-2011-2015-22/digital-comic/43666

And here's the good modern series
https://www.comixology.com/Constantine-The-Hellblazer-2015-2016/comics-series/44115

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm really hoping Tim Seeley coming on to The Hellblazer helps bring back some quality again. Constantine: The Hellblazer was a fantastic run that did great work with the character I don't know why they had to change creative teams with Rebirth as it was a solid team for those 12-13 issues.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/899667628024709120

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

You would think there wouldn't be that much upheaval from the common folk about extinction level events by now. "Yes the sky is red, and YES you do need to attend the MANDATORY meeting on Wednesday. If by Thursday reality is rewritten, again, then we shall proceed with the quarterly reports as scheduled."

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I wonder if Doomsday Clock could be read as a standalone companion for the Watchman book that basically anyone could pick up or if it's really going to hinge on what the comics have been setting up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Eh. You could sum up what you needed to in one text box.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #16
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DEXTER SOY
Cover by MIKE McKONE
Variant cover by GUILLEM MARCH
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
“Bizarro Reborn” part three! They may only use the title “Outlaws” as cover for Red Hood’s clandestine war on crime—but their status as Gotham City’s most wanted has landed them in the prison yard at Belle Reve Penitentiary! But are they locked in with the Suicide Squad—or is the Suicide Squad locked in with the Outlaws? Harley Quinn, Killer Croc and Deadshot go out of the way to make Red Hood, Artemis and Bizarro feel right at home in this maximum-security prison…while Amanda Waller rustles up three new brain bombs!
On sale NOVEMBER 8 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

First The 'Tec team and now the Suicide Squad, meh.

Full solicits

https://www.newsarama.com/36035-dc-comics-november-2017-solicitations.html?utm_source=notification

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nobody cares about Red Hood

quote:

SUPER SONS ANNUAL #1
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art by PAUL PELLETIER
Cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
“SUPER-PETS UNLEASHED”! The World’s Furriest team Krypto and Titus—together at last! Tired of the boys stealing the spotlight, the doggy duo lead the Super Sons on a canine-powered epic!
On sale NOVEMBER 29 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

This is the real poo poo right here

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

RICHARD KADREY's the new Hellblazer writer, KELLEY JONES is drawing the JLA annual, PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON is writing the Aquaman annual, there's another New Talent Showcase.

Anything other new news?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

RICHARD KADREY's the new Hellblazer writer, KELLEY JONES is drawing the JLA annual, PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON is writing the Aquaman annual, there's another New Talent Showcase.

Anything other new news?

Other than the embarrassing looking Jetsons comic?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I remember the preview story in those HB specials being one of the more interesting ones.

edit: Bleedingcool is taking hints from the new co-writing credits on The Flash and Supergirl that they're moving the titles over to new people, and I'd take Jody Houser on SG.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 22, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Roth posted:

Nobody cares about Red Hood

This is the real poo poo right here

I know Titus is Damian's dog, but I don't give a gently caress unless it's Ace

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Other than the embarrassing looking Jetsons comic?

check out dem robo-tittays

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

check out dem robo-tittays

George! That's your robo-mother!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The maze isn't meant for you, George.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Autism Sneaks posted:

I know Titus is Damian's dog, but I don't give a gently caress unless it's Ace

Star of Eisner award winning short story. Ace is a good dog indeed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/899790235017641984

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lol it's CenoBatman

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Also remember the evil Batman tank with a face. This event rules.

edit: A pile of old Image/Wildstorm singles just got added to Comixology for a sale and the branding replacement looks so weird.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 22, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Did someone say Kelly Jones Lobo because that is what I heard.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gently caress offffffffffff with this edge lord garbage

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

purple death ray posted:

gently caress offffffffffff with this edge lord garbage

The event is called Metal. Jesus shut up about it looking edgy. That's the loving point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Norns posted:

The event is called Metal. Jesus shut up about it looking edgy. That's the loving point.

Yeah, if the Justice League turning into a giant mecha wasn't a clue, it's meant to be over the top and silly. "Wow, look at edgelord over here" completely misses the point.